Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That is amazingly lovely, Lupa. Sorry you had to put up with that bullshit.

i am tim! posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I had absolutely no idea that SF Debris was on Channel Awesome until people started mentioning it today. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Yeah, he has his own website and was already doing pretty good on Patreon before he even got on the channel awesome site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

i am tim! posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I had absolutely no idea that SF Debris was on Channel Awesome until people started mentioning it today. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Yeah, CA does less than fuckall to promote any new talent they pick up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
For him, it is probably mostly the publicity.

That is I think the actual downside of all of this. It's great that all the producers have their own distribution channels and don't have to really on what seems to be a pretty toxic work environment, but it also means that the overlap of potential viewers just isn't there anymore.The Internet is really so splintered that is pretty hard to make the break and actually find a starting audience and, on the other side of that coin, it is actually pretty hard to find content that you might be interested in. I.e. I love poparena's Animorphs reviews, but if he didn't happened to post in tis thread, I would have never found his show.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You'd think a website dedicated to showing off various people's videos would be a simple matter.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
To me, Doug always seemed nice, but naive, like in his Vlogs. He seems to be a just a manchild who wants to make people laugh. :smith:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Now that we can all just be honest with ourselves about this stuff, I was trying to think if I had any stories or information that was

A) solely mine, not incorporating other producer's stories or woes

B) relevant to the issues at hand and simple, not too interpersonal drama-y

C) could be told quickly and easily

D) had evidence to back it up.

Just because I wanted to put some concrete photographic evidence into all the words about the TGWTG administration being weird bullying tyrants. Picture's worth a thousand words. So here's a short one.

Not sure how many of you know about the "TGWTG Secrets" blog, which seems to be undergoing another overhaul right now, their two millionth or so, but a couple years ago, they were a super creepy and invasive group that basically tried to dig up details about the personal lives of TGWTG members in between posting weird stuff about which producer they wanted to gently caress or whatever. They've removed most of those now, so there's little to link to directly, but after I broke up with a certain producer on site, they started sending me an onslaught of threats and posting a lot of "secrets" accusing me of being a cheating whore or whatever, several of which called for my firing over it or for more internet detective-ing to "get the full story" or whatever. There was no scandalous story to spill, as my fiancee explained to the horrible creeps. (I was still pretty depressed and beaten down by the whole experience, so it means a lot to me that he started standing up for me first when I felt like I couldn't remember how to stand up for myself.) Like I said, they've tried to scorch all that harassing garbage from the internet, but there's still plenty of evidence left behind. (Once again, courtesy of Zac speaking out. Anyone who's been in a situation where they feel stockholmed or helpless or like they deserve abuse probably knows that feeling: you can't really start standing up for yourself until someone helps you contextualize just how bullshit your situation really is. I know I'm not the only producer who felt that way or even still might feel that way about Channel Awesome. See Holly's circumstance with the post-firing contract, compared to how she's speaking out now.)

So what does any of this have to do with Mike or Rob? Well obviously, they didn't step in to defend me from it, or any other producers in similar positions. So maybe they just didn't know about it.

Oh, but they did.

That first URL I linked above where Zac explains the whole situation, acknowledging fully that my love life is none of that horrible site's business at all, but it had to be explained because we had no other defense but to beat these assholes off with the truth...well, after he submitted that, and TGWTG Secrets posted it, exactly as you see it word for word, and issued a mandate not to talk about me on the blog anymore (which they still did not actually obey for a while,) after all that solo fight against harassment, I got this from Rob:

By the way, that's how they always respond to harassment of producers, including what Allison went through with Noah. It is not, curiously, a policy they invoked when the person I broke up with was airing the constant personal details that led to TGWTG Secrets knowing anything about our breakup in the first place. Nope. Didn't apply then, I guess, even though they were fully aware of it. So yeah. gently caress TGWTG. That's one story I can tell that paints the picture pretty well. Their policy is to demean, punish, and intrinsically mistrust producers. I confronted Rob directly about why he bothers to have us around and doesn't just make it Doug's site. Still don't know the answer to that one. I guess they just didn't know how to get rid of us. We were the kids they never wanted to have, so they just beat us down.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cause its not like someone can pretend to be someone and "air out" false information :psyduck:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
That TGWTG secrets site was creepy. Most of the posts were: "I imagine that Linkara and Spoony are in a seme/uke relationship" (Seme/uke refers to yaoi pairings) and stuff like that. :stonk:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wow...I've been following this all day. That really sucks.

Maybe this should be a good time to make a new thread? WIth a New OP giving all of the good producers to follow with links to their patreons?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

Wow...I've been following this all day. That really sucks.

Maybe this should be a good time to make a new thread? WIth a New OP giving all of the good producers to follow with links to their patreons?

That's a good idea actually.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I dunno, guys, I think they'd be pretty good at a game show. Game shows rely on people having to answer silly questions in ridiculous time limits. They could do show over, say, Skype, and the contestants could have 15 minutes to answer or they're disqualified...

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
I agree about the new thread idea. Sounds nice. :)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, anyone want to make a list?

I've got, Kyle, Todd, RLM, and Brad.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Chez Apocalypses, SF Debres, Phealos and Lupa, Cinnemasscure, Linkara. I also have Errant Signal but that's more of a personal favorite. Jay-O, you got a site we can link still?

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity

Violet_Sky posted:

SFDebris -> http://www.patreon.com/sfdebris (Or SFDebris.com)

Linkara -> http://www.patreon.com/at4w

Allison Pregler / Obscurus Lupa -> http://www.patreon.com/olpresents

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Should we do Cinemassacre? James has his own thread in Games.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
new thread is a good idea, looking at the OP i assume we can bump Nostalgia critic for lupa and Phelous site, add lisndey site for all of the people there, add ANN for JO, keep brad and RLM, but also link their patron.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

BigRed0427 posted:

Jay-O, you got a site we can link still?

Nah, I just write for Anime News Network. If I feel like I've written something I especially want to share, I'll post it in the thread, as I have been doing. I'm not in the video review game, just the criticism game.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

It's a party hat, a beer, and I think a gift certificate. And they only had prizes when Holly reminded them that game shows need to, y'know, have them.

That is really clown shoes.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Do you need bard's patron? i have his page saved.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Seems like internet content has just been one story after another of "Laws? Regulations? Standards? Common sense? Basic decency? What are these strange words you speak of in the context of running a business?"
Jesus Christ. I was wondering why you were so "NOPE. DONE. NO MORE TGWTG. NOT HAPPENING ANYMORE." once you left on what seemed at the times like amicable terms but now I know why and I'm just kind of floored.

Jsor posted:

Should we do Cinemassacre? James has his own thread in Games.
Since they get brought up fairly often I think its a good idea.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Happy Viking http://blip.tv/frothy-pint-of-metal
Rap Critic http://blip.tv/rapcritic
Some Jerk With a Camera http://blip.tv/some-jerk-with-a-camera
And I don't know how much it counts since they mostly do podcasts now, but here's Rollo T/Weekly Manga Recap http://blip.tv/hilarios-productions

Its kinda crazy how little I care about not going to Channel Awesome now. I basically grew up watching NC and everything, and was always believing they were just a big happy family... but the stuff in the past couple of years has just completely destroyed my ability to care about that site or fandom anymore. Oh well, at least I can still keep up with the guys I like, not too huge a deal.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If we're doing goon favorites, I'd plug Rap Critic and Accursed Farms for Ross' Game Dungeon. If we're just going with biggest, then whatever.

Jay O posted:

Nah, I just write for Anime News Network. If I feel like I've written something I especially want to share, I'll post it in the thread, as I have been doing. I'm not in the video review game, just the criticism game.

Eh, no big, we'll just put up a link to your last Digimon retrospective followed by (Next Part Coming Soon!) and a link to all your blogs and such where people can spam you. :D

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does anyone like Leon Thomas's stuff?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

And if we REALLY wanna add deep cuts to the OP list, I got Matthewmatosis, Jim Sterling, Your Movie Sucks, Kimble Justice, and gently caress it lets throw Feminist Frequency on there.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 14, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

That is really clown shoes.

I bean to panels for "guess the music in a JRPG" at anime cons that have more worthwhile awards and that was run by a laptop. can't just give away a dvd of one of their films or something ffs.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Who wants to take the new thread? I'm happy to take it again if no one else will. :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Speaking of Matthewmatosis, he put up the Mario Galaxy review.

E: I can do it. Anyone have a good thread title?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 14, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

And if we REALLY wanna add deep cuts to the list, I got Matthewmatosis, Your Movie Sucks, Kimble Justice, and gently caress it lets throw Feminist Frequency on there.

might be bating trolls with FF, people are still butt hurt over that and we already have enough juicy drama to last a year.

Kimble justice promote her video's here so i be all for putting her on the list.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Feminist Frequency is good, actually. We can add that to the OP.

E: Thread title: The derail to end all derails. It would go best with O poo poo tag, I think. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jsor posted:

"Internet Critic Discussion Thread: 0 Days Since The Last Drama Bomb"?

Cyron posted:

might be bating trolls with FF, people are still butt hurt over that and we already have enough juicy drama to last a year.

gently caress that. It's why we have a report button.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BigRed0427 posted:

I like it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does anyone like Leon Thomas's stuff?
Not really, I kind him... pretentious, like he talks about films in a way that reminds me of SMG posting in CD (except Leon doesn't over analyze comic book movies to the extent of SMG)

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Who wants to take the new thread? I'm happy to take it again if no one else will. :)

It might be a good idea to hold off for a little bit. It'd be nice if the new thread began with people talking about internet critics internet critiquing things, instead of pages and pages of CApocalypse chat.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

gently caress that. It's why we have a report button.

true enough, and we get some good laughs. i know you see the wrestling forum and most likily saw the gamergate meltdown by that one guy.

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity

High Warlord Zog posted:

It might be a good idea to hold off for a little bit. It'd be nice if the new thread began with people talking about internet net critics internet critiquing things, instead of pages and pages of CApocalypse chat.

You make a good point. It'll be odd otherwise to have the thread start immediately by talking about events that aren't covered in it (Especially since Kyle has promised an explanation for his leaving he's not posted yet). Might want this current drama to calm down first.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jsor posted:

I thought there was only one C Apocalpyse sites not two!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

true enough, and we get some good laughs. i know you see the wrestling forum and most likily saw the gamergate meltdown by that one guy.

Yeah, one guy here kept fleeing the thread anytime people mentioned FemFreq.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cyron posted:

That was glorious in how fast everything just accelerated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

That was glorious in how fast everything just accelerated

it went like this if i can remember,..

"gamergate is about fighting coruption"

"No it not"

"gently caress THIS FORUM< BAN ME FROM THIS BRAINWASHED BY THE MEDIA SITE"

it remind me of the phrase "liberal media".

• Locked thread