Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So is anyone noticing that the art in this chapter is about twice as good as normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Law Cheetah posted:

I always thought Toriko's author saw the part at the end of the hunter test in Hunter X Hunter where they freefall down a canyon to get spider eggs to eat and thought to himself "I could make a series out of that"

I'm pretty certain that Toriko must have been inspired by a few chapters of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (four chapters starting here). If you like Toriko you have to read these chapters (there's no real spoilers).

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 7, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
All this speculative chat is nice but did that chef just summon an invisible bread house? :stare:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Basically Twisted Sister in manga form. Dress up in drag, passionately fight with your muscle harem, etc. It doesn't matter, you're still more masculine then anybody else.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I was fine with food honor, but this is sort of bullshit. And it's extremely un-Toriko. The solution to everything should be "get really hungry and eat that thing," not "believe in the secret."

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Eh, a slight improvement over last chapter. At least it's getting pretty violent. I'm worried that the author is blowing his load early by throwing a powerhouse like Jirou into the fight.

Batmasterson posted:

A knife that cuts and grills at the same time huh? I hope you like your steak extremely well done. [/spoiler]
Obviously the knife only sears the outside of the steak along the cutting surface, leaving the center perfectly rare :colbert:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I was about to say this chapter of Toriko Claymore was pretty good, until I realized that it's preceding exactly the same way the fight in the Regal Mammoth arc did. Toriko gets owned at first, gets a little boost from monster mash, gets a couple hits in but then owned again, then gets more help and executes the graveyard smash, etc.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Can Of Worms posted:

Frohze's face is such a stark contrast to the usual style I have to believe an assistant did the art for that. :stare:

It's also way different from every vague silhouette of Frohze that we've seen so far. I'm pretty sure she had long hair.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone in the manga actually stated that Acacia is dead (Setsuno did say that Frohze was dead though).

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
This is by far the most bullshit pseudoscientific explanation I've ever seen in any manga. I mean, I'm not really surprised anymore when characters can fly or materialize weapons from out of nowhere. But the author is trying to pass of some sort of logical explanation, and is completely failing to make any sense at all even in the loving toriko universe. I'm wondering if the translator just hosed up terribly.

The fighting based on table etiquette is great though.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

He still can, remember when he comments on the century soup's flavor?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Shugojin posted:

No, it said it was an offspring of Derrous - Komatsu's knife is made from the singular fang of Derrous itself.

At first I interpreted it as Derous being an offspring of one of the eight kings... the translation is sort of ambiguous.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Midora is going to get wrecked in five seconds and the power scale for this manga is going to go completely out the window

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Wait, aren't there like 30 billion people on the planet? How the hell is a 500 meter pile of food supposed to feed even a fraction of that? For once I am disappointed in the scale of food in toriko :colbert:

Shugojin posted:

Or else the IGO/Bishokukai team up occurs and the kidnap subplot ends with Starjyun awkwardly returning Komatsu and joining his muscle harem.
Starjyun is already in the muscle harem, even if he doesn't know it yet.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So it's basically gourmet Lavos, awesome.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Rough scanlations for 261 was out. Looks like it's inevitable that Midora's gonna join the harem

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I think Midora can be smug right now because in the end the Bishokukai captured Komatsu and that's all that matters. The whole battle at the cooking fest was apparently to capture him.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well that pretty much followed expectations, but it was still awesome.

For a second I thought that when the headquarters started collapsing it was because Midora burped or farted or something. Certainly would have fit

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Seebach posted:

Komatsu is such a badass now. He's got a god drat plate hat

*plate!*

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm pretty sure being a combo is like two tiers above marriage in the Torikoverse

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So what the hell does rapid hair growth have to do with good food? Is this a Japan thing?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Ch 272

No Ob-san??

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

quote:

This is a good start to a new arc full of adventure and delicious. That "territory marking" thing sounds kind of like a game mechanic and I would play all kinds of poo poo out of a Toriko RPG. Cooking minigames mandatory.
Yeah this is all blatantly the premise for a Toriko videogame.

pandaK posted:

Excuse me, but they entered the octopus's mouth. Octopi do not have a multipurpose eating+poop chute.
Now that I think about it, this is probably the least appetizing chapter of toriko ever.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 3, 2014

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Deliciouscesium posted:

I'm curious how food armor would work in this series.

Probably a lot more straightforward than armor made of poison, or hair, or sound, or imaginary utensils.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
HORSE PHYSICS

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty sure Toriko is dead right now and Air will literally bring him back to life with its deliciousness.

Pretty sure Center was the necromancing ingredient. On one hand it would be neat if Toriko was actually dead for a while, but on the other hand coming back from the dead is a bullshit mechanic I hope we never see in this manga.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Crawfish posted:

Not to burst the Dapper Frog bubble, but you all realize it was that weird Kappa dude that hulked out didn't you?

He then pushed all of that muscle into his head or something to stop the fall. All Dapper Frog did this chapter was look menacing for a frame.

I was about to say cork voice is the new dumbest technique in the series, but using all your crazy muscles to turn your head into a big dumb plate sort of blows it out of the water.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
My engineering degree burst into flames while reading this.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Voted Worst Mom posted:

"eat everyone else up".
FTFY

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
There is a rather... interesting spoiler page floating around:
:nms:

:nms:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
There's no way Kaka's done yet, though

Also lol at the pollen being an excuse to show the entire muscle harem crying like little girls

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Literally Kermit posted:

So as an adult, Yun is a WALKING SUBSPACE WALK-IN REFRIGERATOR. Holy poo poo, make the motherfucker the Fifth Heavenly King already, he already has pet cred.

Seriously Yun's defense bubble looks loving awesome. Gotta give the author credit for coming up with that.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Teargasm? Is that already a thing in anime?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
ffffff

I'm at least glad the author had Zebra turned away at the end.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm listening, Coco-san :allears:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Lol if you actually thought that Acacia was dead. At no point did anyone even say he died, he's definitely going to show up near the end.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Law Cheetah posted:

I thought it was the pets meeting up with bambina for some reason. maybe a training arc

Yeah those were the pets.

Though I think Zonge is going to be the one getting "trained"

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Looking forward to the moon whale being the Regal Mammoth 2.0. Another is going to be its eggs (caviar). Getting each item on Acacia's full course is going to require helping one of the eight kings get laid or give birth, or something.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So I'm guessing that each of the four heavenly kings are going to have their final battles with their respective kings and get their ultimate ingredients, Midora Jirou and Ichiryuu are going to team up to take down the blue Nitro/Acacia, maybe Komatsu gets Joa? Or the dragon king which no one else seems to be fighting now?

I don't really care, so long as the last chapter is one giant gay marriage between every character with Komatsu at the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Huzzah! posted:

What the hell is going on with that Bartender? Did he poo poo his pants?

Uh no obviously he went in the duck behind the bar, gosh.

• Locked thread