Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder if this manga ever traumatizes the kids who try to read it on occasion. This stuff is still meant for tweens/teens and looks it like half the time with the non-nonsensical character designs and wacky food puns/fart humor.

Then a fight starts and people get their heads exploded into goo and their flesh blasted from their skeletons by spectral knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Komatsu's magical bottom powers know no bounds.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

failedninja posted:

Maybe it's because I just came back from reading Bleach but I want at least one moment where Komatsu casually strolls through a herd of superbeasts and all of them bow down to him Lion King style because of how much respect he has for ingredients.
I'm kinda thinking Komatsu will at last get his real badass moment whenever he inevitably gets to prepare "god". The last badguy is so powerful I imagine they'll pull that cliche where the badguy "wins" in that he barely beats the good guys, goes to claim the magic macguffin, then is loving annihilated by it because he's a shithead and the macguffin don't like shitheads (see: Wolf's Rain for the most literal example).

Joa will win, go to claim god, get obliterated, Komatsu approaches god and can just casually take it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fight was kinda boring because there wasn't really a lot to it; they drat near just stood still and traded blows with no background interaction at all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is how you do Shonen power creep and keep things fun for both the grownup manchildren who read this stuff (It's me :smith:) and the literal children it's written for.

Please take notice uh; everyone else writing popular battlemanga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically you can probably pick who who lives and who doesn't by figuring out which of the badguys suits Toriko and crew as opponents.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, the 0th Biotrope people sure loving punked out. That's kinda lame.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The end badguys are probably going to be foodie space aliens and it's going to own.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cuchulain posted:

They sent the gourmet meteor to fatten the planet up before devouring it . :stonk:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, Komatsu wasn't changed that much but all the little changes add up to him looking kinda weird now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like to think of the muscle harem as a really, really long ongoing joke because I get the impression they'll probably set Toriko/Komatsu up with the poor beleaguered perfume girl and Setsuno's apprentice in the end. It seems pretty obvious but the shock when it does happen after an entire series of comedy food battles and homoerotic imagery/tension will be pretty funny.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Toriko really should've learned the spoon technique from whatshis face, since he could use it to carry stuff.

Also because it means we miss out on a spork or foon attack. :smith:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was bored so I re-read part of Toriko from the beginning.

You know the "asurasaurus" thing with the several thousand capture level they showed?

It's on Jirou's course list:

As out of control as the power creep and wackiness gets Toriko sure likes callbacks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Whatever the really big twist of Toriko is it's going to be ridiculously over the top, hilarious and probably pretty awesome at the same time.

I mean at this point the gourmet cells are basically like the symbiotes from Spider Man. All those times Toriko has spoken with his goofy battle-demon image weren't just figurative hallucinations of him reasoning with his Id or whatever; he's literally talking to an alien organism that's renting his body.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hahahahaha, the artist is an absolutely masterful troll.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What he should've done is play the Rin marriage totally straight :v: and had it be appropriately sappy with Toriko giving it more than 2 seconds of thought and no one being confused about it.

Then when some fan inevitably asks him about the hundreds of pages of homoerotic tension and dong imagery he could be like ":confused: Huh? Toriko is like the exemplar of manliness, of course he's straight!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"not enough food" in Torikoverse is probably "I can only find 200 pounds of the latest produce at the market!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So basically this is a stopgap before they go into the gourmet world and...presumably do ~something~ that'll revive the human world?? Kinda fuzzy on the details there.

Like, I thought god was supposed to just be the best ingredient ever? Maybe god is part of the planet and Komatsu will end up preparing the planet as an ingredient to revive it? :unsmigghh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

alkanphel posted:

The encompassing theme is that they're all super goddamn delicious!
Toriko is basically a pure Epicurean, so this is it.

All of Toriko's dishes are stuff with crazy complex flavors that create loving rainbows and auroras and make you have out-of-body food orgasms.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I decided to re-read a few parts of Toriko just now and I think I found a bit that basically encapsulates the feeling of the series.

Toriko.jpg

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

RIP Komatsu's nose
It's a tad dramatic how much characters change even when they don't age much. It's been like...~3ish years in-series?

First Chapter:

~Halfway In (like chapter 120-something):

Latest Chapter:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

Latent gourmet cells inside Komatsu's body have streamlined his senses, so with a more efficient olfactory system his large nostrils are no longer needed and have atrophied through gourmet evolution
Or he found the amazing rare ingredient the "Uke Fruit".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ahhh, we're back to peak Toriko with the insane animal/environment descriptions. Toriko owns.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how Heracles -glaring- literally causes a blast of wind.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Could just be Toriko specifically; it's a Japanese Mythology thing.

Also :stare:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
HI WE'RE THE BADGUYS AND WE'RE HERE T- :gibs:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like that Toriko literally has a full-sized restaurant in him apparently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also if there's anything to be disappointed at in this chapter is that we didn't see a reaction to the infinite nail punch. I mean, come on, the throw-away scum beast thing from waaay back in the food honor arc got an awesome multipage spread of it receiving the 50+ nail punch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jirou literally stunned everyone on the planet momentarily, which is more impressive than disintegrating some Gourmet World level mooks and one semi-notable dude in a second.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Teppei will get away or somehow win temporarily because there's that whole gigantic uber-ingredient right there.

You have to figure out what to do with it. The Nitro would probably care about it, and Neo/etc certainly do. What are they gonna do, leave it there? Eat it all? Toriko wants to share it with the world.

So naturally, the bad guys need to get away with it or at least part of it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mangastream's translation seems really bad now compared to whomever does the other one I see a lot.

Also: Toriko: The Game (sorta; not nearly over the top enough)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I think everybody here can appreciate this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trinket/battle-chef-brigade

EDIT: Welp, already a link to it! I'll leave it here anyway.
If they just turned this up past 11 it'd be perfect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

I recently realized that, despite Zebra being the biggest badass and all that (both in terms of power, at least before Toriko's recent upgrades, and in actual size relative to the other guys), his power set is the least active. He usually just stands there and echolocates/screams at things while everyone else is doing crazy athletic things and running around and stuff. Zebra is basically the mage of the group.
He actually acknowledged that at some point I thought after the timeskip; since he has added actual PUNCHING to his fighting.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if there's any ingredient so gross that even Toriko won't eat it.

Also can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it???

Makes u think

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone linked the kickstarter for a game that sorta captures the idea, just not at Toriko's insane level.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, it was a good series everyone. :rip:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They'll probably be able to fight the kings after they revive more parts of their weird hunger demon things

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bambina owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Toriko is just too weird and I hope it never ends.

• Locked thread