Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roland Jones posted:

Checking out this for the first time, it might just be the phrase "Gourmet Hunter" but I am now reminded of Hunter X Hunter, and the opening chapter has only furthered that, between its over-the-top introduction and the main character first showing up fishing. Not that this is a bad thing; HXH is one of my favorite series and if this is basically a more ridiculous version of it then that alone should be massively entertaining.

It's not really like Hunter X Hunter. It is, however, pretty loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The best part of this chapter was Zebra headlocking one Nitro and punching it in the face while stomping on the face of another :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I actually got the impression he was going to a different fight with some big animal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

Question. Why doesn't Komatsu continue attacking Starjun with his ultra knife?

Because at about that time Toriko used his Want Eat Monster to just straight up de-spine Starjun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MegaCharger posted:

I almost wish IGO president and the Bishokukai boss would both show up as well to confront Joa, but I guess it's a little bit too early for that.

But now that Jiro is here will be beat Teppei back to his old self? Hard to imagine he will just let his grandson be used like this.

I think Jiro will just use knocking to disable Teppei until Komatsu learns to cut the evil out of people under pressure.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sindai posted:

I don't think that's even a real physics thing? It sounded like pseudoscience at best to me. :pseudo:

It is, uh, kind of true in that it works for several classical treatments - which leads me to my next statement, I hope to god that Midora kills Ichiryuu and says "Didn't you know? The square root is just an approximation :smug: "

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah with the number of crazy animals around in Torikoverse I'm totally willing to believe that eating baby makes these pigs extra delicious.

Also,

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Yup I think it's the same one. I wonder if that will be a plot point in the future.

No, it said it was an offspring of Derrous - Komatsu's knife is made from the singular fang of Derrous itself.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So, what, deathbed conversion to muscle harem confirmed for Midora?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Still no Coco. Oh dear.

Seriously where the hell is he?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Calling it now, the Nitro are aliens and the Gourmet Eclipse is their giant-rear end spaceship blotting out the Sun as they come to harvest... something or other.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I really wanna know how being kidnapped by Starjyun is going to work out for Komatsu. I'm calling he gets some sort of weird cooking powerup out of being faced with something cool.

Or else the IGO/Bishokukai team up occurs and the kidnap subplot ends with Starjyun awkwardly returning Komatsu and joining his muscle harem.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RatHat posted:

I can't remember, is Rin being Sunny's sister new information? Anyway this all reminds me of Eureka Seven.

Not even a little bit. We knew that from their first appearance.

Also holy loving poo poo everything else about this chapter. Just goin full crazy again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo that's the worst translation I have seen in a loooong time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Seebach posted:

Galactus found a way to make a planet more delicious before consumption.

The Nitro are Galactus' new heralds that he picked up from their planet when he fed upon it and realized they could cook whole planets.

Sorry, that's Komatsu. Komatsu is Galactus' herald. He just has Gourmet Amnesia right now.

The manga ends with Toriko eating Galactus, thereby BECOMING Galactus!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I fuckin love this guy's face.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/214344/toriko_ch263_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru/20

:byodood:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Plutonis posted:

The last chapter mentioned that the new arc would start on Weekly Jump 10. Was it printed already or something, because it's been a whole month...?

I thought that was to come out kinda this week or next week?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Toriko: Gumdrops, Marshmallows, and a chance of Mountains

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are trying to pretend that Toriko possesses empathy even though he spent a year stuffing his face with the most delicious food imaginable while most humans were living through an unprecedented famine. Actually, this is completely consistent with the christmas story where they feed people one day of the year.

Toriko has a very weird moral code which no one else seems to share.

Well, Komatsu is going to come back and cook Ichiryuu's Full Course and thereby end world hunger.

And he'll make it delicious just to show up everyone else, possibly with hints he got from 6 months with Midora, Honorary Muscle Harem Member.

(Midora can never properly join Komatsu's muscle harem because he remains forever part of Frohze's)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

This is amazing. Absolutely goddamn amazing.

Also I love the old hermit nitro.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

What he should've done is play the Rin marriage totally straight :v: and had it be appropriately sappy with Toriko giving it more than 2 seconds of thought and no one being confused about it.

Then when some fan inevitably asks him about the hundreds of pages of homoerotic tension and dong imagery he could be like ":confused: Huh? Toriko is like the exemplar of manliness, of course he's straight!"

I dunno, I kinda like "what does that have to do with this? :confused: " in regards to his combo with Komatsu.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alopex posted:

Well clearly the bird can only lay infinite eggs if its forelock is shaped like an infinity sign. That's like, Foodbiology 101.

And speaking of weird biology, I really want to know what got Sunny to cut his hair. I bet it tried to eat him in his sleep and he had to teach it a lesson.

He didn't cut it, the ends are just too fine to be seen now.

vvv: that is also acceptable

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I love that the answer to "How to make the Billion Bird not taste like poo poo" is that no one gives a drat because it's not a food pill.

I got the feeling it was just mediocre, kind of like how they would react to a real-world chicken.

Also the true answer was clearly give that motherfucker a hug

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

That's probably quite common though, unless you're a huge drunk or planning for the destruction of all farmland in the human world.

The basic problem I think is that the power (err, flavor?) creep has rendered the early stuff on Toriko's Full Course like Rainbow Fruit kinda boring by comparison.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just wanna know how Old Hermit Nitro is gonna talk :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The real mystery here is how a nitro survived living in such a tiny area for so long. Nitros are probably the biggest eaters around, except for maybe Midora.

Super food immersion. Weighed as much as a couple mountains when he entered.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How do you dodge a laser? Move faster than the speed of light?

Dodge to the side when you see Toriko raising his arm? Basically just be faster than Toriko's reflexes. Which is also impressive but not impossible yet :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Was I the only one whose first reaction to the dapper frog was what the capture level of that tea he was sipping?

Man I am pumped for this, I for one welcome Toriko 2.0

You have to pick it one second before it gets destroyed by lava during a 99.95% solar eclipse. Other than that it's a normal tea plant.

e: I'm still in love with the fact that I can come up with whatever crazy thing I feel like and it's still 100% plausible for the Torikoverse.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 9, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I love when we get the Hunger Demon threat panels. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It had this though.
And this for some reason I find terribly hilarious.

Midora's got a shockingly dainty waist there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Soylent Mean is... I don't even know what that is!!!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

... Because it was in a bad mood, and had it been in a good mood that same footprint would have been an oasis. :haw:

You don't wanna know what happens when one of the 8 Kings is aroused :stonk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh god, they found the last tin of gourmet anchovies in the world

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Poor dude lost his magic amplifying stone. Also his arm but the stone seems like it'd be more of a problem :v:.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

How is he gonna get his arm grown back if he can't ask, huh?

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 11, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Silento posted:

I've thought about reading HxH, but the constant hiatuses stopped me. Sounds painful, especially if it's as good as people say.

It's worth it. The hiatuses aren't that bad, they suck for a month or two when it happens but then you give up and forget about it except for the occasional idle "I wish that would come back from hiatus" thought until you see it pop back up on your manga reader of choice and you go hey it's time to reread it so I remember what's happening!

Nen remains one of the best combat systems in shonen because it has been so far pretty effective at avoiding power levels. Not that power levels are explicitly bad, the series we're in the thread for uses them pretty explicitly and I find myself not hating them :v:

edit: I mean all the manga readers use scans for a certain arc that are essentially Togashi scribbling on a napkin. They were redrawn for the volumes so if decide to read it and have the means do yourself a favor there and look at the redrawn ones because jesus christ. ONE's mangas are better drawn. and possibly better

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 19, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That horse gotta have some extradimensional lung capacity.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure that was Heracles exhaling, possibly huffing in anger.

I can't wait for the other three kings to realize they're filler.

They're all going to feel Heracles gettin' agitated soon and Zebra is going to be loving pissed that it's happening without him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's probably just Heracles being loving intimidating as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The knife that Melkite made for him is made out of one of the 8 kings' teeth. He will use that

Yeah Komatsu has probably the best knife in the entire world right now, its only possible competition is Frohze's knife.

• Locked thread