Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Man, the monster levels inflated fast though. That huge crocodile was a 5 and built up as a big deal that the main guy might not be able to handle, and now there's already double-digits being thrown around.
Toriko is peak shounen so the quicker you can get over the immense power inflation, the more you can sit back and enjoy all the manliness. And Komatsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Ironsoviet posted:

I literally read through this manga after a derail in another thread about how ridiculous the power creep was. Did anyone else constantly feel the need to cook food after they finished reading a large chunk?
Reading this manga high and hungry would be almost unbearable if the action wasn't so brutally awesome.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

Anyone else super surprised that Uumen Umeda (Former Director of the IGO) is a mass murdering shitlord?
Yeah I am. I don't know if I hadn't paid enough attention to detail in earlier chapters but I thought he was some kind of comic relief character beside Mansam. That was the biggest OH poo poo moment of the chapter for me.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Holy gently caress these fights are unreal. Zebra's and Setsuno's crazy faces make me grin so hard because I know people's (and Nitro's) shits about to get rocked.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I am soooooo pumped to see how completely insane Coco's and Grinpatch's fight is going to be since the fights so far have blown my expectations out of the water.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Mountain Lightning posted:

Melk the Second is the only one Komatsu needs.
I know it'll never happen but I will forever hold out for this.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

NovaPolice posted:

Melk II will become incredibly buff (w/ a giant pompadour) by eating power-ups and Komatsu will be strangely interested in being super best cooking friends with her
She'll do some Gourmet World training with Melk I and return tan, swole-as-gently caress, and covered in scars and Komatsu will swoon.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

It's time, Toriko 234!!!

A little bit of another teaser chapter with lots of two-page spreads and scary faces, but it looks like Toriko is using that food spirit power on his own which is awesome.

Also, I wonder just how strong Aimaru is on his own.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Holy gently caress. 1980's shounen would be so proud of this fight :stare:!

But drat, I hope Setsuno doesn't end up dying trying to stave off her foes and going after Joa...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Toriko 242 :stare:

I can't say much more than WOW... Setsuno busting out her serious knife and blocking that absurd attack. And just when Buff Zombie Nitros get loose, Jirou shows and and pops one like a bubblegum balloon :drat:. And now I get the Bad-rear end Old People of my dreams? What a tease to end the chapter.

So are we supposed to getting the hint that Joa is somehow Frozhe/Acacia?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, how does this keep topping itself every chapter right now :stare:!

Also, is Kuriboh actually a double-agent or something since he avoided Tokage (which is the most awesome snake I've ever seen)?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Yeah that's Kuriboh. He was IGO, then allied himself with NEO but seemed to escape from them this last chapter(?). So Kuriboh is either a double agent for IGO or a double-double agent for Bishokukai. Or a double-double-double agent and he's working for himself! :psyboom:

I'm thinking Bishokukai.

I hope he's still allied with the IGO after this. There's something that tickles me about the dude who makes the world's best pots being one of the strongest.

And geez, if Ichiryuu is really done for the count (no way...) What's going to become of the IGO now? Would Jirou take over because who else is dominant enough to be at the helm?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

I think/hope Kuribou had a change of heart after everything went off the rails
I think the thing that hits Jirou is some seed thrown by Teppei. No clue what or why, of course.
The president and Midora probably were fighting in space. It seems entirely reasonable that if they fought on the planet's surface, they would end up destroying it.

Other gourmet planets seem reasonable now since the ability to leap from one planet to another is hardly less plausible than the ability to halt an entire planet.

If Toriko really went that ballistic, this would become my favorite manga ever.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

just a butt posted:

Ch 247

More exposition, but at least we got page 12 out of it.

Oh man this is gonna be one hell of a fight :stare:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

It means, Toriko needs to hurry and get his rear end up. So basically, Acacia had never taken Frozhe dying into account and then somehow got Midora to retrieve Cure Water every day in order to revive her. All that talk of someone with as much Food Luck as her just screams Komatsu so hard.

I just want to know what the gently caress Joa/Frozhe is already!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

The most important part of the chapter is without a doubt that one lady letting Mansom know that he is indeed Handsome :allears:.

I may have teared up a little bit, he's easily one of my favorite characters.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Coco's had to have done some crazy poo poo with his gourmet cells. Though, we didn't get to see anything from Zebra's cells either. He either evaporated/dissolved and escaped or is literally IN Grinpatch killing/poisioning/possessing? him.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Toriko 258!!!

Wow, so much for the calm after the storm :stare:. It's just one holy poo poo after another!

Grinparch feeling a little woozy, very ominous... And then Coco's back just like that. I can't wait to hear how Coco's fight went down!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

The Bishokukai got freaking dismantled by NEO. I wonder what they will look like in the coming chapters.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Despite their villain status up until now, what are the odds of them joining the good guys? I don't know if Starjun can really be forgiven considered his mutilation of Toriko and theft of Komatsu was so recent, but if Neo attacks now and takes Komatsu, I don't think Toriko will hold a grudge.

EDIT: Also seconding happy at seeing Grinpach off his game and Coco back. If he really was drained of poison, I wonder what his fighting style will become? I don't know how much farther he could have gone unveiling secreter poisons every fight, though him having to create new poisons on the fly was cool, if that even happened. I remember it, but my memory is sketchy at best.

I really hope that's how things are being set up. I want to see who all is left in the Bishokukai now though. Tommyrod (A Tommyrod good-guy team up would have been the best thing) and Elg have made their departures, Chiyo is in limbo with Setsuno and Chin, the Red Nitro are more than likely not usable anymore because of NEO and the Blue Nitro, and Grinparch seems to ailing quite a bit which is both a good and bad thing for me. Good in that Coco is still alive and I guess he used his "that" poison but bad because he's a really, really interesting character because he's so weirdly chill and almost goofy. I remember Coco even saying that he's an interesting creature strictly from a biological standpoint.

As for some general commentary now that this arc is over, I think that the author does a really good job with showing a character's backstory and motivation and at the right times. There's been a few characters that have been introduced that remained fairly uninteresting, boring, and such. Midora is the big one obviously. I recall a lot of readers were not impressed with him at all but after his cruel and brutal backstory, he's the one character I'm watching the closest now. I feel like a lot of the plot from here on hinges on what he decides to do and who he alines with (Also, there has to be something between him and Toriko. I wonder what's gonna go down if/when they meet). Starjun is an example of someone who a lot of people don't really value because he seems boring. It's the reason why a lot of readers weren't invested in his fight with Toriko. I've always liked him because I find he's more vexing than boring. It's pretty clear that he'll have his past expanded on and I still have a hard time believing he's actually evil (his expression has confused me quite a bit in his appearances). Who knows.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210433/toriko_ch260_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru

We are released from... that.

Edit: With a new page!!!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's the first time in his devil life he's held cutlery sized for his hand.

Oh wow do I wanna see Toriko fight that angry balding devil.

<---- Edit: Me, smoking before reading this chapter.

Jesus gently caress Part Two is going to be crazy as poo poo, I've loved all of it so far.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 27, 2013

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I don't know how many of you still watch the anime but tonight's episode was Zebra's fight with the Nitro and Setsuno vs. Chiyo. Both were well done and incredibly satisfying to watch :black101:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Whatever the really big twist of Toriko is it's going to be ridiculously over the top, hilarious and probably pretty awesome at the same time.

I mean at this point the gourmet cells are basically like the symbiotes from Spider Man. All those times Toriko has spoken with his goofy battle-demon image weren't just figurative hallucinations of him reasoning with his Id or whatever; he's literally talking to an alien organism that's renting his body.

Isn't the insane twist already that some giant alien from space ate the planet? That's about as over the top as it can get. I mean we still need to learn what God actually is and the place NEO wants to go but yeah.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah they changed a ton of stuff. I have to believe that the anime is going to finish out the arc and then go on hiatus so the manga can get a healthy lead. The end of the first season of Magi did the same thing and when season 2 started it went on as if the filler end crap didn't exist. Beelzebub is another example which I really hope will come back.

At least we get to see Jiro bust out

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

I'm sad he didn't blow the nitro's head off though.

It wasn't even that graphic in the manga. It's head just pops like a bubble.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

That's the cutest most ugliest bird ever :3:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

Such a great chapter.

As I go back and reread it however, there is terminology that has changed, and now makes it feel a bit weird to read.

Bishokukai is being translated into "Gourmet Corp", and Chefs are now translated into cooks.

So the 2nd time I went and read it, all I could think of, "Jesse, we need to cook".

Did you read Mangastream's version? They've decided to start releasing Toriko again. The one who has been releasing it (Hiwamatanoboru) uses Bishokukai and chefs, etc.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

The anime is getting weird :psyduck:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I'm pretty I found an IRL Billion Bird:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

this reminds me, but at the end of the Toriko Anime, when it shows the Bishokukai gearing up, there is a tiny bug that flys just above Grinpatch's straw, and it is colored blue with red polka dots and has pink hair.

Ahaha, my God the anime ended loving embarrassingly.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah I'm pretty much with Sani about food reactions this chapter.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I wonder if this had anything to do with the red and blue Nitro, seeing as the blue Nitro are apparently waaaay more powerful than red Nitro.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Seebach posted:

or blonde.
Or pink, RIP Tommyrod...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Goodnight sweet prince...

--

You know what? As weird as this chapter was, there was a great sense of relief it wasn't ~Food Imagination~ or whatever it was called.

I have a friend who only watched the Toriko anime and I would go through the Manga on a reread and save all the awesome faces enemies made after their arcs aired (Tommyrod, Livebearer, Chiyo, etc) and eventually got him to read the Manga because of that. He said that was one of the better decisions he made regarding the animes~. I got him to finally read One Piece too after I made it clear time and time again that the anime was complete and utter poo poo after Impel Down...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm always skeptical about Zebra. For such a supposed badass he doesnt do much of anything besides being the support. Sani and Coco got more fights.
I understand it for the most part. Zebra is really freaking overpowered. His sound abilities are very effective for close range beatdowns but incredibly useful for long-range support and defense.

During the chef fest he spent a majority of the fight protecting and evacuating the entire stadium (which is got to be over a million spectators). Sani and Coco don't have much on the support side which is why they get more battles. I'm sure that Zebra will have his chances out here in the gourmet world where there is much, much less collateral damage to protect against.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Does that mean we're just going to get a montage of eating?
Isn't that when this Manga is at its best though? Goddamn meteor spice is still one of my favorite meals so far!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Ah, yeah I meant meteor garlic. All meteor spice did was ruin the whole human world :haw:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Sindai posted:

And here I was assuming that to deal with 100g they'd just get stronger. No, instead the Toriko solution is to have each individual cell in your body dodge gravity. :allears:

This. This is what will continue to entertain me for the rest of the manga! It's so over the top but just as creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Nahxela posted:

And then Minority World will eat everything.

rip the President. I wanted to see more of his bullshit.
Absolutely. Sure Toriko and the gang can more or less one shot some pretty powerful beasts but GODDAMN Ichiryuu could grab multiple at once with energy chopsticks!! Power levels still have bit to go for the main group.

• Locked thread