Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It's not really like Hunter X Hunter. It is, however, pretty loving great.

I always thought Toriko's author saw the part at the end of the hunter test in Hunter X Hunter where they freefall down a canyon to get spider eggs to eat and thought to himself "I could make a series out of that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Rynder posted:

I'm partial to the fact that she shrugged off a 10 million Calorie energy drain when Toriko's max was only 3 million or so.

That was pre-food honor, but she's still a bad motherfucker

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
To me, anyway, the thing that made Grinpatch and Tommyrod interesting was that they were legitimately terrifying. Starjun isnt scary at all.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Hasn't Frohze been referred to as a he pretty consistently?

Japanese only has a gender neutral third person pronoun: ano hito (あの人, literally 'that person'). "That person" sounds awkward in English, and we don't have any other gender neutral third person pronouns that don't sound awkward, so translations go with "he" or "she" based on the characters apparent gender. This kind of situation comes up every so often, when a characters identity is ambiguous.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2013

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he used knocking on the loving earth

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Nah it's definitely gonna be that he's just the manifestation of a pure, innocent heart.

What if... what if komatsu's god?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Then Toriko would... oh no. :cripes:

Toriko would have to choose between his appetite... and his heart

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Nilbop posted:

The one uninteresting thing about this manga so far has been the main villain. Midora has been incredibly bland, with only his design making him interesting.

To be honest, I think his beard looks pretty stupid

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
new chapter

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-257--End-of-an-Age--?id=179070

no toriko in next week's issue. it's coming back the week after

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I agree, but I also feel bad for basically saying "stop trying this new poo poo, just keep telling the same story you jerk", but that is kinda how I feel.

I think it's just a matter of balance. I think there needs to be some element in the story that raises the stakes and keeps things exciting, but the food and the world is an intrinsic part of the manga's charm.

The main problem I have is that some of the battle manga stuff that has been happening recently has been really hard to follow. Particularly "minority world" and that imagination technique. I can't follow the author's logic on how these abilities are supposed to work at all. When something happens you get the feeling like "I guess so, if you want" rather than "oh, that makes sense". Stuff like food honor and food immersion was way more logical and consistent

Its not a matter of things being too over the top. Like, Jiro using knocking on the entire planet was awesome and was just the result of taking an ability we understand and taking it to the most ridiculous extent possible. Minority world feels like its just whatever needs to happen is gonna happen with a thin veneer of justification

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2013

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Liar posted:

Is it just me or is Komatsu suddenly being drawn "cuter".

They made his nose look cuter. He used to have a gorilla nose

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Toriko kind of fascinates me from a cultural studies perspective. The homoerotic and homoromantic themes are so in your face that I have a hard time believing that any of it is unintentional - but since I'm not Japanese I dont have the cultural context required to understand it. It's a blatantly gay series running in a mainstream magazine marketed towards young boys within a cultural context that, until now, I understood to be less than accepting of homosexuals. I constantly feel like I'm missing some vital part of the puzzle.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silento posted:

Toriko is actually about Lavos.

I was just about to post about this. Chrono Trigger had an alien being that landed on a planet like a meteorite and guided the evolution of life on that planet with the intention of eventually emerging and consuming everything. Final Fantasy 7 also had a "Calamity From the Skies" with a similar goal, minus the guided evolution part.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Komatsu is so pretty! Haha

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So the octopus isn't seen by anything under its capture level, but the capture level is only in the upper 200s. So does that mean Most things in gourmet world can see it since most monsters we've seen so far are high leveled? :confused:

That's why they're only using it to establish a base of operations at the entrance to Gourmet World, where the monsters are the weakest

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
This can't be! A tree that produces air?!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Capture Levels are not strictly power levels. They are suppose to show how difficult it is to: find an ingredient, get to it, obtain it, make sure you don't ruin the flavor during the capture, and prepare it to the maximum culinary extent.

Yeah, but, come on. They're power levels.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I guess I assumed Kaka was going for the nuclear option now that Toriko goosed the monkey king and doomed the crew to death, and went back for that allergy plant. Is it possible she was reaching for it instead of Komatsu? Not that I would rule out the heel-turn, haven't all the nitros been assholes so far?

I think Kaka has already had a few ominous "I'm secretly evil" closeups in the recent chapters

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

i guess that means the dance had to be sealed with a kiss/bite

It was a mating dance!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
So, is the only reason they were able to complete Pair because Komatsu got his heart stolen? Like, doing the dance creates some kinda gate to the underworld, and then one of his balls disappears into the underworld, so you need a dead guy to combine the balls together? Am I understanding this?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Punc posted:

So the end is three Beast Kings coming together right?

I thought it was the pets meeting up with bambina for some reason. maybe a training arc

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i'll be honest, guys. i'm not getting it

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

brotato posted:

Thanks Nono for asking the obvious question we were all thinking, tho. It would suck if in addition to doing all the hard work you'd also become prematurely old.

Dont Toriko characters live for like, hundreds of years though

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
this chapter was so loving spooky you guys

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Reiche posted:

Holy poo poo, Acacia's life suuuuucked. Neo continues to be one of the most terrifying villains I've come across.

his life seemed fine to me. his struggle seems to be mainly this philosophical issue about free will? im just like welcome to the club idiot

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont get how they came back to life. how did they come back to life. im not following this. didnt tommyrod get eaten by hair? whats happening. are they good guys now???

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I love how bummed out Red Oni seems about the whole thing. Like, "Really, we're doing this now?".

you get the feeling he preferred it back when they were hunting jewel meat and bird eggs

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 3, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
lol even now toriko's like "i dont really have anything against you" to neo. he just thinks he's gonna taste really good

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
so midora's story is that he got depressed and developed an eating disorder after his mom died

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Chapter 387

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
lol at the kochikame tribute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the actual ending of naruto was fine once all the nonsense with the moon lady out of nowhere was resolved. sasuke was being a dick for no reason (again), naruto smacked the stupid out of him, and then they finally became friends. not very inspired, but adequate.

but naruto didnt end up marrying my favorite waifu

• Locked thread