Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

ArchDemon posted:

Can we get some Tommyrod faces? Those should be well deserved about now.

This will forever be my favorite because... Well honestly what the Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yay, cannibalism! I knew it was coming sooner or later.

Was Tommyrod a person? Seriously, he had insects the size of all creation inside of his body. He had wings. He had a hand that could run around on its own. Looking at most of the members of the Bishokukai it's hard to say many of its members aren't other forms of life that just resemble humans.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Crunkjuice posted:

Cocos are also pretty ridiculous. Excreting poison from every orifice? He might be the only person who could outfart Zombie Zonge

Silent, but REALLY loving deadly.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrSunshine posted:

Guy was soooo hungry that his gourmet cells grew an extra set of legs to catch up to his prey faster.

Either that or he swallowed a horse and just hasn't finished pooping it out all the way.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
So now Buranchi is an important enough character the he warrants his own side-battle? Or is this a case of Mitsutoshi just having a short attention span when it comes to the main cast?

Somehow I'd have to imagine that someone who can regenerate a new one of himself, seemingly equal in power to the original, from every cell of his body would have a lot of himself floating around. But then again since this is Toriko he probably eats all his copies after every fight.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also: Rule of battle in Toriko. Whatever it is, turn your power into a sword. Electricity, poison, smells, gently caress it, try and cut somebody with it. I'm waiting for Zebra to scream into his hand and make a sound sword.

This made me immediately think of this:

Just need a wind sword.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Plutonis posted:

I'm another one who wouldn't mind Buranchi becoming part of the Main Cast as well. Just make him Combo with Zebra and we are having the best duo.

Zebra's already set his heart on Komatsu. Does he seem like the sort of man to settle for what her perceives as being less?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Somehow I expect we'll see him again. Like his body will learn to ground its self or something.

It seems like Buranchi is definitely being led up as a reoccurring character. No way he gets this much attention just to be another guy who happens to show up at times. I imagine he'll probably be their guide when they enter the Gourmet World.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
It seems like the human world is going to be left pretty hosed. The IGO is destroyed. It's best chefs have been kidnapped. The most powerful guys who could save them are off fighting level 500 radishes in the Gourmet World. And who even knows what the gently caress the new group of guys are up to... aside from just murdering the poo poo out of everyone.

I now want to see a capture level 500 radish.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Crunkjuice posted:

I don't see the human world being hosed as much as i see it just being ignored and the story moving into the gourmet world. At a certain point, everyone will be powered up to the point where outside of the occasional rare food, nothing in the human world will matter too much.

I mean it more in the sense of having no IGO to control the flow of foods, to regulate over-hunting, or to pop in should some city destroying pumpkin comes rolling along.

But yeah, obviously the story will leave the Human World behind eventually here and the concerns of one hundred billion people dying horribly will be in the past.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Terror Sweat posted:

How exactly does a voice machinegun work?

*pew pew pew pew pew*

Really fast.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Batmasterson posted:

I would like to discuss the beauty that is This Page for a moment.

I'm not a fan of Toriko's reverse coloring there. Luckily the manga's in black and white so it's nothing I need be concerned with, but it does look ugly.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Seebach posted:

The fact that they took Chiyo out so easily is a ruler that measures the distance between both of them.

I think any of us would guess she's not going to die from the attack. At best she just needs to slink away from the battle to replace one of her kidneys real quick or something. On the other hand it might be cool if she did die since we know she's insanely powerful, so it'd demonstrate that there's some real power to this new group.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
That was about the most talkative chapter ever.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Shugojin posted:

The best part of this chapter was Zebra headlocking one Nitro and punching it in the face while stomping on the face of another :allears:

Kind of a huge jump from Nitros being introduced as about the scariest thing in the manga.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Law Cheetah posted:

To me, anyway, the thing that made Grinpatch and Tommyrod interesting was that they were legitimately terrifying. Starjun isnt scary at all.

Maybe when he brushes away his hair he looks like Leatherface.

But seriously we haven't received much info on the guy. We know his blood's pretty drat hot. We know he wields a fire sword. There's probably a lot to him... Unless of course Toriko kills him during this.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I hope this "imagine" thing doesn't become a constant. Somehow it's just not appealing to me.

Also a part of me hopes Jirou is actually a member of the new group that's formed its self. This way we eventually get Toriko versus Jirou.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Can we all just agree that all of this image crap is stupid? Somehow Toriko, the namesake of the drat manga, is having the most boring fight so far. Seriously, some random battery-powered guy who was just introduced in this arc had a more interesting fight with another person who we'd never seen before. The jerks in the background are more interesting. Jirou hasn't even shown up yet and he's already captivated me more than Toriko versus Starju has.

Somehow it just seems like Toriko's getting the short end of the stick here when the people around him have abilities like screaming at your opponent to death, or being a fountain of poison, or having hair that could eat the world, etc. Meanwhile Toriko punches things and his punches are forks... Sometimes they're spoons though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I wish they would decide whether Toriko's special attacks are just metaphors for his hand to hand strikes, energy beams, or actual metal being summoned into existence.

None of the above. It's just his loving imagination!

Goddamn, I do hope that after all of this Toriko finally heads for the Gourmet World. I really do miss him punching the poo poo out of poo poo that even PETA wouldn't defend.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anything for the man he loves!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

FAT BATMAN posted:

For all the criticism about Starjun not being properly established, this is an awesome fight. I love it. I'm continually astonished how much more brutal it becomes with every chapter.

But that's basically all it is, brutal. There's no reason for me to give a poo poo about Starjun beyond that the manga has told me I should give a poo poo. So all I get out of this is "Oh hey, he punched off his arm".

Fecha posted:

:gonk::hf::stare:

At this point I wouldn't really believe Toriko had lost a fight until he had literally been broken down at an atomic level. Even then he would probably become a microscopic swarm, eat a bunch of other atoms and come back even buffer.

This will happen.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AnonSpore posted:

This is literally the setup of every single battle manga in existence.

Nope.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Seebach posted:

Though I guess since Sani's hair ate Tommy all things considered this is tamer by default.

I wonder how long until we get an arc where Tommy bursts out of Sani's chest like an alien. Seriously, I think this could happen.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Seebach posted:

I think I finally figured out why I hate this Imagery Bullshit.

Toriko: I got you.

Star: Nu uh, I got you.

Toriko: No you didn't, because I did this.

Star: Did you? Becuase if you did that, I did this.

Toriko: Nu uh

Star: Uh huh

Star: Uh huh

Star: Yeah, I did, because while we were both doing all this, I did this.

Toriko: ...

Seebach: <Flips a table> loving CHILDREN!!!!!

Essentially the series becomes Naruto, and everyone was a goddamn log all along.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Fabricated posted:

The fight was kinda boring because there wasn't really a lot to it; they drat near just stood still and traded blows with no background interaction at all.

Which would have been fine if the manga had taken serious time to establish Starjun as some absolute rival who Toriko has deep seeded reasons to have a hate/respect relationship with. Basically gently caress the special attacks, let's just punch each other to death while grinning.

I think everyone here feels the same way by now. Toriko works infinitely better when he's fighting his next meal, or someone insanely interesting like Tommyrod.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Wait, did Komatsu just offer to go gay? Somehow the translation of his blubbering just came out in a hysterical way.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Hasn't Frohze been referred to as a he pretty consistently?

Maybe he cooked himself into a woman?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

MegaCharger posted:

So.... We all know the final bosses are going to be stronger than Jiro, so Toriko will have to top that eventually. What's he going to do? Do a leg knife so strong that he cut up the planet? And then Komatsu cooks it back together, thus together they are the new gourmet gods.

Also I can't believe Jiro is so much stronger than Setuno. I though Setuno was at least up there with the bosses but it seems she's at least a few levels below in terms of power.

The sun will be his stove.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Law Cheetah posted:

he used knocking on the loving earth

Fifty replies in and this is still an absolutely loving valid response to this chapter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Serious Frolicking posted:

How odd that Sani of all people was the only one of the 4 kings to win his big fight.

I'm still betting it'll turn out that Tommy didn't die, but is now like an insect infesting Sani's body. I absolutely expect a scene like in Aliens with him exploding out of Sani, all the more powerful from having feasted on Sani's life force.

Either that or he's become head lice.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
This series has more ridiculous names to remember than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also how many battles between God-level opponents do we need going on at once?

The answer is of course as many as possible!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Love his knife being so sharp that under its own weight when set down it starts carving into the planet.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nothing says battle manga like actual laws of physics applied without actually considering what they mean.

Luckily I'm too stupid to understand it anyway.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also maybe Midora has goodness inside him who knows.

And that goodness is exceptional!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This is by far the most bullshit pseudoscientific explanation I've ever seen in any manga.

To date. This series has a long ways to go.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
At this point it seems like whoever says the most random loving thing wins.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Deliciouscesium posted:

I thought he punched through his chest and grabbed his heart. Thus using his own hand to pump blood correctly and regain some control.

This is what I believed as well, however how would that explain his lungs and brain functioning?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Young Midora and Toriko look pretty drat alike... are we heading for a "I'm your father"?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Maybe God's so drat fantastic that once you eat it you literally never need to eat again. aka. It's the one thing that will definitely fill him.

Either that or he's just greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Batmasterson posted:

I was just referring to everyone freaking out about humans getting fed to animals in a manga where everything is edible.

I was going to comment that that's a lot of babies to come up with to feed them, but then I recalled this is a manga where the world has a population of fifty gajillion people. Also women probably birth babies in litters.

• Locked thread