Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archers are made of glass, just step back and wait for an opportunity to strike.

They should make a single-player game with Chivalry's combat mechanics, but with an actual story and RPG elements. That would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You guys are making me fondly remember this game: being an Archer and dancing around heavies while I stab them with my knife, doing like 15 damage at a time :allears:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Archers are made of glass, just step back and wait for an opportunity to strike.

They should make a single-player game with Chivalry's combat mechanics, but with an actual story and RPG elements. That would be amazing.

I usually manage to get one shot at them, if I don't instakill them they get in my face and I can't back away fast enough :(

Granted I usually play Knight or Vanguard, which are respectively the slowest class and the weakest class against archers :v:

I too wish for a singleplayer version of Chivalry, M&B is really really ugly to look at and I don't really like the physics-based swinging, I'd rather have the arcadey "3 attacks" of Chivalry everyday (more of a casual player) with the RPG / party building / skills of M&B, and with a decent story.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Trust me, archers are weak as hell. If a vanguard or knight look at you crooked you break. I've been playing a lot of MAA and archer and yeah, a lot of deaths come from a vanguard no where near me following through and clipping me with the last pixel of their sword as the swing finishes. Trust me, they don't need to be nerfed at all.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
If your opponent has a dagger you can force a lot of misses just by crouching and bending backwards. Daggers are really damned short.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

You guys are making me fondly remember this game: being an Archer and dancing around heavies while I stab them with my knife, doing like 15 damage at a time :allears:

I play melee archer all the time. If you know when to block and have good timing/movement in general, you can be very effective. New players you can often even just flinch over and over.

My advice if you're fighting archer is to use something from your bag of tricks. Whether it's a feint, a drag, changing direction mid-swing, anything. Doesn't even matter if it's clichéd and something you can't pull off twice, chances are you only need to hit them that one time and they're out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jabarto posted:

If your opponent has a dagger you can force a lot of misses just by crouching and bending backwards. Daggers are really damned short.

You literally have to be running into them the entire time you're attacking while strafing, ducking, or jumping

*if you're attacking with a dagger, you're trying to force them to M1 until they're tired out basically

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My trick to fighting archers in melee is throwing an axe in their face.

My trick to melee as an archer is throwing lead balls into their face.

Alternatively, play javelin archer and be good at everything while being able to change attack distance on the fly.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are there any plans to make a sequel to this game? Has the company announced their next project yet?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

My trick to fighting archers in melee is throwing an axe in their face.

My trick to melee as an archer is throwing lead balls into their face.

Alternatively, play javelin archer and be good at everything while being able to change attack distance on the fly.

Javelin archer. AKA: The fastest I leveled up weapons of anything (compared to the combination of my poo poo aim with bows, and constantly finishing people off with melee making bow/crossbow archer take about 10 times as long :v:)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

Javelin archer. AKA: The fastest I leveled up weapons of anything (compared to the combination of my poo poo aim with bows, and constantly finishing people off with melee making bow/crossbow archer take about 10 times as long :v:)

Yeah, Jave is pretty awesome. Crossbow Archer is good too, I found it best to take playerys unaware as they ran towards someone/ soething, putting my crosshair ahead of them and counting down to when they'd get there, shooting a second or two before they met that point.

Bows= accuracy through quantity, shooting at guys right in the middle of the fight like Legolas

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I am like 50 kills away from the cudgel unlock and then I need to do the 10k arrows. Jesus that's a massive number. After that it's the king, bonfire, and two decap achievements and I'll be 100 %. I don't know why but I'm so close I need to get them cheevos. Got the butter knife one last night and gently caress that thing.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Sling with lead bullets is the poo poo. It's ridiculous yet effective, the perfect weapon for Chivalry. Dudes think you're an easy target as well so you know it stings just a litte bit extra to be killed by you.

And frankly perfect aim and reloading while running is nice as hell.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If only I could reliably aim the sling. God I'm bad at ranged weapons in this game even when they have no recoil.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
swine poo on steam, gonna be playing some chiv tonight. if anyone is playing message me on steam please.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, Jave is pretty awesome. Crossbow Archer is good too, I found it best to take playerys unaware as they ran towards someone/ soething, putting my crosshair ahead of them and counting down to when they'd get there, shooting a second or two before they met that point.

Bows= accuracy through quantity, shooting at guys right in the middle of the fight like Legolas

It's been so long since I played this. I heard about the backstab nerf for Archer melee, but honestly my bigger concern is "Can I still one shot my fellow archers in the torso with a normal size crossbow?". Because most of my ranged archer kills was shooting other archers with a crossbow.

90% of my complains about Archers being bullshit was from other archers. And 90% of the complaints I'd get about "Vanguard weapons are OP" aimed at my own playing was when I pulled out a SHORT SWORD and short circuited some otherwise kicking my rear end guy's routine.

Man, I was never actually "Good" at this but I should dust it off. Because yelling.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 10, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I got into a 32-vs-32 player server this morning. So much yelling, chaos and death :stonklol:

Sadly it was filled with rank 50 players that just kept steamrolling everyone else and it got boring after a while, but at least I amassed enough kills poking people with a spear from the back that I finally unlocked the brandistock and I can never, ever use spears again now :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

Man, I was never actually "Good" at this but I should dust it off. Because yelling.

itt we're talking about the "good times", don't forget that most of this game isn't that fun

*Calls vote to KICK Section Z*

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Getting votekicked for feinting will never not be hilarious.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, the player base was the worst part about this game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
People really don't like it when they cry about your feinting and you suggest that maybe they should just get better at blocking.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Why are people upset about feinting at all? Especially when they run around, bent in half, looking at the sky.

I mean, isn't feinting an actual thing that is done in real melee combat? I have seen fencers duck, jump, feint, but I have never seen them bent backwards looking at the ceiling then springing forward to look at the floor in order to hit quicker...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I never go why taking full advantage of the mechanics in a way that was unrealistic was acceptable but using feints caused mic yelling meltdowns

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Maybe it's in part because, instead of just being a cool trick you do, feinting is more like tricking them into making a mistake, and their fragile egos can't handle that? Or because dealing with feints would require them to learn a thing outside of their scope? I dunno. Gamers are babies.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Low risk high reward was the excuse I heard for someone hating feints, whereas the windmilling takes quite a lot of skill.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Koramei posted:

Low risk high reward was the excuse I heard for someone hating feints, whereas the windmilling takes quite a lot of skill.

So:

Nordick posted:

Gamers are babies.

lol

Edit: "I spent a long time developing this stupid way to kill people that is hard to counter THEREFORE someone who just picked up the game shouldn't be able to easily trick and kill me :reject:" is super dumb

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I get that you all like to feint, but those 'tryhards' that run around looking at the floor and doing reverse overheads feint all the time as well. It's just another trick, so I really don't get what you guys are even talking about or why there would be a contradiction between those playstyles. The people that complain about feinting are usually the ones who try to play by the book and who also complain about the ballerinas.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah you don't really meet people who do all the other tricks in the game that still get hit by feints. You get used to the timing after a while.

I do really think the whirlwinding is stupid though (and hopefully they'll balance away from it in future games) which is why I play mostly archer and totally ignore that kind of combat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dryer Lint posted:

Watch this for 20 seconds. This is why you should learn about ducking.

https://youtu.be/UejeOjSIgkA?t=38m34s

Can someone explain this to me? Are they just looking down at the right time or are they actually pressing the duck button to avoid getting cut?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

AndyElusive posted:

Can someone explain this to me? Are they just looking down at the right time or are they actually pressing the duck button to avoid getting cut?
Either will work, as long as it gets your player model out of the way of the swing. Looked to me like in this instance he just looked down, which made his player model bend over.

EDIT: I just played some Chiv: Deadliest Warrior after a long break. Went to some FFA-only server, picked pirate as usual. The instant I spawn in some viking dude charges at me, but another pirate player shoots him dead from behind with his pistol. I give him the thanks emote, he takes a swig of rum and we run off together yarring and ha-ha-harrring and promptly get horribly murdered by spartans. I love this game. :allears:

Just too bad the amount of players in DW has dwindled a lot since it's never on sale, and the bunch that's left seems to have a huge boner for Last Team Standing which I hate. :smith:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 10, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

I get that you all like to feint, but those 'tryhards' that run around looking at the floor and doing reverse overheads feint all the time as well. It's just another trick, so I really don't get what you guys are even talking about or why there would be a contradiction between those playstyles. The people that complain about feinting are usually the ones who try to play by the book and who also complain about the ballerinas.

Actually they're both legit game mechanics explained in tooltips so they're supposed to be both used, only the ballerina thing looks awful and is highly unrealistic.

Feinting isn't, swordsmen/fencers actually feint but they don't flail their upper body to extreme 90 degrees positions...

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Dragging to slow or speed up a swing is fine, bending over and running backwards and spinning is an exploit of the developers not making weapons have varying damage depending on when during the swing contact is made. The moment a swing is initiated (end of the windup phase) you do full damage with your windup. Which is why the twirls happen, because even if you're behind someone on the beginning of the strike or the end of the follow through it still does the full damage. This is a result of either the devs not wanting to bother to fix it, or them worried the community would poo poo their pants if a fix happened. Either way it's stupid and exploit of the system and not as intended.

Now the best counter is to just give them space and use up their stamina, but if it's a whole team doing it, just find a new server.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

Why are people upset about feinting at all? Especially when they run around, bent in half, looking at the sky.

I mean, isn't feinting an actual thing that is done in real melee combat? I have seen fencers duck, jump, feint, but I have never seen them bent backwards looking at the ceiling then springing forward to look at the floor in order to hit quicker...

Short version. If it works, then it's It's "I can't believe you fell for that!" mapped to a button.

People hate feinting, because it makes them feel like it's their fault they got hit (Even if they win and kill you, they get mad) by a completely stock no wacky "Pro Tricks" required prank. "Gamers are babys" is part of it, but it's more how they know it's their own loving fault and that sends them over the edge more than you getting a perfect 20 kill streak on them while spinning faster than a helicopter. (As I know I'm loving terrible, I am protected from being Mad At Feints :downs:)

A lot of people will flip out over the most insane things if it's even IMPLIED they are in any slightest way at fault. Such as the lovely sort of people who react to the fact you are now bleeding with anger.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 11, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Good Post *salutes with sword, begins gushing blood*

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
If you want to get people mad, make sure you x x 2 after a feint hit. People get so mad when you laugh in this game.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
The laugh is my second most used voice command other than just pressing c. Nothing binds brothers in battle like laughing at the misfortune of the enemy who was about to lop your heads off get a crossbow bolt from a teammate stuck in his skull.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I used spam the "no" voice command over and over fighting/running away from people

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Inside Out Mom posted:

If you want to get people mad, make sure you x x 2 after a feint hit. People get so mad when you laugh in this game.
Feint or no, I use x-x-2 after pretty much every kill, to the point where it's mostly automatic by now. If I want to do another emote on a kill, I'll often just involuntarily x-x-2 instead because of muscle memory.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I always went for the classic "Rapid Crouch on their Face" if I had no one else around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

the funny thing is that feints are actually pretty easy to deal with all things considered. even if you get feinted, you can still probably just sprint past the enemy or duck or use any other form of evasive maneuver

on the other hand, mouse dragging and lookdown overheads are virtually impossible to counter reliably. the greatsword overhead riposte is especially broken since its wind-up is like 300ms so it's basically impossible to block reflexively on any ping higher than 60

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread