Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yeaa, the best way to play Chiv is really on a 1st person only server because 3rd person makes it so much easier to pull off janky ugly stuff which isn't fun to play against or even do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hey guys just posting here to remind all of you that deadliest warrior is the superior version of this game and the ninja is the best class. heres my frag movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjucvTQ6m9Y

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"This video is private. Sorry about that."

I feel like there's a ninja joke in there somewhere.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Nordick posted:

"This video is private. Sorry about that."

I feel like there's a ninja joke in there somewhere.

fixed

i blame youtubes lovely UI

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Minorkos posted:

hey guys just posting here to remind all of you that deadliest warrior is the superior version of this game and the ninja is the best class. heres my frag movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjucvTQ6m9Y

Absolutely this. Personally I find that vanilla Chivalry's slightly slower pace is a tad better than DW's faster one, but everything else is in DW's favour. The classes are more varied and fun, the playerbase is generally more chill, and the mechanics have been tuned to minimise the windmilling overhead shenanigans.

However, shame on you for not using the :krad: wolverine claws as the ninja, nor spamming his awesome insults. :colbert:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok that Spartan kill at about 1:50 looked pretty cool.

The ninja is a pretty cool class. Not that I like playing it myself, but schooling overconfident ninjas with my pirate cutlass is the most satisfying thing. Like, they see me reloading my pistol, so they just barge towards me, I interrupt their windup by throwing the pistol in their face and gut them.

Of course this doesn't nearly always work because I'm not really that good at the game, but when it does it's the best. :v:

EDIT:

Perestroika posted:

but everything else is in DW's favour. The classes are more varied and fun, the playerbase is generally more chill, and the mechanics have been tuned to minimise the windmilling overhead shenanigans.
I agree with this 100%.
Seriously though you guys should abandon your dishonorable ninja ways and join the honourable pirate brotherhood.

EDIT2:

Okay, I just finished a magical session of C:DW. I meant to just play for a bit, but ended up playing for god-knows how many hours beacuse the fun just kept happening. Some highlights include:

- A "pirates vs everyone else" match. The cacophony of gunfire and YARR HARR and SHIVER ME TIMBERS and stabbing sounds was just loving glorious. Not a single guy kept running off on their own to get killed, we just kept firing volleys at the enemy and stab-ganking anyone who got close, and then getting wiped out when enough guys got close at once. Still won the match though.

- Speaking of cacophony, there was also a Vikings vs. everyone else match where a couple pirate dudes kept throwing firebombs into the big melee furballs, to the point where people started going OMG WHEN DOES THE SCREAMING STOP in chat.

- In the "Everyone starts whaling on the closest guy" phase in the end of one match I started punching a fellow pirate, who responded by dropping a firebomb at our feet and somehow the burnscreaming and punching sounds and the guy just spazzing the gently caress out going ARRRRGHARRGLARRBLEGRARRRH and my guy going YARRRGHWAARRRGHARARBRR *punch punch* was too much and I had a massive hysterical laughing fit. As in, I literally laughed so hard I felt a bit woozy from not breathing enough. I didn't even know I can still laugh like that.

- A multi-team DM battle that was something like spartans vs samurai vs ninjas vs pirates vs vikings, 2 or 3 of each. Plus one lone knight who just kept running around yelling, not attacking anyone but wrecking anyone who tried to attack him. I lost a duel with someone because the knight guy just ran past with his stupid halberd going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and I fumbled a block due to laughing. Well I guess I could've fumbled it anyway because I'm not very good at this game, but it was still funny.

- Later, when the population was starting to dwindle, the yelling knight guy and I teamed up as pirates in another multi-team DM. It was just the two of us vs a couple of ninjas, a spartan and a viking. The map was Fjords, so naturally being pirates we camped in one of the longboats, spamming emotes and drinking, and making GBS threads all over anyone who got too close. The Viking guy got so mad he switched to pirate and started trying to TK us. I dunno how he figured that would be more effective than just fighting us normally, but oh well.

- I got several kills by throwing my pistol at people and it was just as hilarious every time. I also lost my pistol several times because I threw it at someone, missed and couldn't find it anymore. Not a big deal though because I'm a terrible shot and most of my kills are with the cutlass anyway.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 12, 2016

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
pirates 4 lyfe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Bakk6Mots

:yarr:

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Post your hours.

Personally I can't stand DW, there's so much wrong with it once you understand the advanced Chivalry mechanics such as combo feint to party (which does not exist in DW), weapon and parry turncaps (which are awful in DW), weapon balance (so many broken weapons), handle hit tracers (hello halberd), importance of stamina actually stunning you and so on.

But I suppose it is more fun to the general audience due to more variance variance in classes and goofy themes going on with the pirates vs ninjas isle and so on.

Phlegmish can vouch for me knowing my Chivalrys since he always seems to run away from me when we meet on the battlefield. :hist101:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I haven't played it in more than a year now so maybe things have changed, but what were the broken weapons in DW? I remember one of the knight's weapons being kind of annoying but other than that, if anything, it's significantly less bullshit than vanilla. No vanguard windmilling, or instant messer decapitations with lookdown overheads or anything like that. It was floaty as all gently caress and didn't feel nearly as polished as vanilla chiv, but it was really refreshing to play it occasionally to get away from what vanilla chiv meta became.

Maybe it's changed since I played it though, the community has had a lot of time to mature and break the game over their knee.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm at 170 and I still don't have the achievements for 20 hours as Mason/Agatha or the one for totaling 80 hours of playtime

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Koramei posted:

I haven't played it in more than a year now so maybe things have changed, but what were the broken weapons in DW? I remember one of the knight's weapons being kind of annoying but other than that, if anything, it's significantly less bullshit than vanilla.

Mind you, I don't play DW much at all, probably 50 of my hours are in DW and rest in MW but these are the ones I can recall from top of my head:

Knight:
Has two main offenders;
- Mace
The stab is absolute BS. You simply cannot parry it with reaction, it's literally impossible. Get someone to test it out if you don't believe me. Make him vary the timings. You just can't, so the mace knights just try and make you panic with stabs and when you finally break and mash that RMB in anticipation, they wind up an overhead which does way too much damage. The mace is just broken.

- Halberd
It has old MW tracers so it can literally hit instantly or drag forever, depending on how the user wishes. It's just stupid relic from MW ported to DW.

Samurai:
Doesn't really have any broken poo poo but the nodachi stab is a bit silly considering how slow everything else is with it and you can drag it forever.

Viking:
I'm sure that at least one of you has encountered the shield+hatchet stunlock BS. Vikings can stunlock any other shield users forever by spamming kick after every attack due to hatchet being so fast plus it can 2shot samurai with überfast weapon.

There was something wrong with the spear too but can't recall it right now.

Ninja:
Also has two main offenders;
- The ninjato
Would otherwise be totally fine except the riposte stab is literally impossible to parry. I'm not even kidding, you just can't. Even if you know it's coming, you know that the enemy is going to succeed with parry and perform a stab riposte, you queue your parry during the attack so that it transfers to parry immediately after your attack gets parried, the stab riposte will still hit you.

Another "fun" thing you can do with the ninjato is to miss someone on purpose with an overhead and combo to a stab. If they tried to parry your overhead, congratulations, a free hit! The ninjato overhead -> stab combo is faster than parry recovery so you will always score a free hit on the enemy if they tried to parry the overhead with a proper timing. The stamina loss from a missed strike doesn't even matter since stamina means jack poo poo in DW.

- The claws
Pretty much the same as ninjato, way too fast for the game.

Pirate:
Oh boy, the blunderbuss. You guys probably have no idea how broken blunderbuss really is but let's start with the standard usage. It might seem a bit weak when you are trying to range with it but it can actually 1shot any class if all pellets hit the enemy's head. This alone makes it quite broken but wait! There's more! Since you cannot parry it and you cannot block it with a shield, there is literally no way to escape the blunderbuss if you are a bit wounded except pray that the pirate is the worst shot in the world which would be a miracle since the blunderbuss is a shotgun and releases multiple pellets so good luck.

But what makes it really broken is the fact that there is a glitch involving the blunderbuss and molotov cocktails. What does this glitch do? Why, it just instakills you from anywhere, as long as the pirate has any kind of line of sight to you.

Some dude actually made a lovely video about all this broken crap if you can stomach 1,5h of sperging about DW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XngYDfvf18g

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Level 51.

Kreittis posted:

Phlegmish can vouch for me knowing my Chivalrys since he always seems to run away from me when we meet on the battlefield. :hist101:

I'm, uh, trying to draw you out. Doing the helpless archer gambit.

But yeah, you are more effective than most knights at fighting fast classes who know what they're doing. Without relying too much on rainbows.

e: I never got into DW simply because I don't like it from an aesthetic and thematic perspective. It just seems stupid and gimmicky to have samurais, vikings and 18th-century pirates all running around fighting each other. I know MW is not the most serious game to begin with, but at least it's consistent in terms of presentation and atmosphere.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 9, 2016

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
174 Hours and level 32.

Love this game but had to uninstall for a little while so I'd play thought some of the other games I have.

Never really liked DW. Something just didn't feel right about it to me. I wish more of you guys played in the same time zone as me. Every time I'm able to get a group of a few people it's always a blast.

Also lol at that video. That guy falls for feints all the time I gather lol. Feints own

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I would've gotten more into DW if it it involved thematic eras.

Pirates vs marines.
Romans vs greeks.
Agatha vs viking

Etc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Pffft, look at all you serious people with your stupid serious ideas. :colbert:

It's precisely the pure nonsense of it all that makes DW so alluring. Hell, I'd love if they mashed more classes into the mix. Zulus, Gurkhas, Aztec jaguar warriors, Roman gladiators, Saracens, whatever.
Realism be damned, STIR THE CHAOS.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
next game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp54AnzcRE

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can't say I'm too excited about that. Was looking for 'more of the same but better polished' from Torn Banner.

Actually what I really wanted was a single player game using the same combat mechanics integrated with some RPG elements but would have settled for the above.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 2, 2016

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Have you gents seen this? http://mordhau.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVwamZgzeM

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

This reminds me of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's multiplayer.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I guess it might potentially be fun, but I'm not really ecxited. The visual design looks really uninteresting, too.

OK, now THIS is something to follow. Maybe/hopefully it'll be a good Chivalry 2.0.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nordick posted:

I guess it might potentially be fun, but I'm not really ecxited. The visual design looks really uninteresting, too.

OK, now THIS is something to follow. Maybe/hopefully it'll be a good Chivalry 2.0.

Chivalry 3.0 or 3.5 if you count deadliest warrior.

Medieval warfare is already chivalry 2.0

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Probably going to be playing some chivs later tonight. like 830 or 9 pm est. Hit me up on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Current humble bundle has Chivalry in it, among other games.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nordick posted:

Slipping strikes with camera movement is really cool. I don't think I've seen any game do that level of freedom and hit detection.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

Looks like the rest of the community agrees, not a very good upvote/downvote ratio. We'll see. At least it'll be something new.

quote:

I agree that this looks really cool.

Any word on the new Mount & Blade?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There was in article about in some foreign equivalent to Game Informer I think.

They're wanting to release it this year. It's looking pretty good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Current humble bundle has Chivalry in it, among other games.

I picked this up through that and it's been pretty fun until I just now got out of the low-level servers. now it pretty much seems to be spinning-autismo-stroke simulator 2k16

I got about 14 or so hours of fun out of it but haha I'm kind of glad I didn't really spend much of anything on this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Winning is more important than having fun

I stopped playing too, I may try it out again when I get a new graphics card

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
You can still play in low level servers I'm pretty sure

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not after you've reached level 15.

Just keep at it and sooner or later you'll be one of those insane murderpeople. I'm level 52 and it only took me 919 hours.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Not after you've reached level 15.

Just keep at it and sooner or later you'll be one of those insane murderpeople. I'm level 52 and it only took me 919 hours.

Yep, think I'll pass on devoting a thousand hours to a game that's janky wackiness at best.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chivalry is great once you understand how everything works and the dance of death becomes a part of you. It's the most viscerally fun game I've ever played, no joke. But de gustibus et coloribus etc.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only times I ever had fun playing Chiv was when I was making nerds angry as an Archer or by feinting

I was kicked once for telling people they were idiots for taking the game so seriously haha

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

The only times I ever had fun playing Chiv was when I was making nerds angry as an Archer or by feinting

Same. Archer was the perfect way to upset the super-tryhards who'd go 40-1 on a server, and get pissed at the guy who was that "1". So I capitalized on that and just shot em in the back whenever I was able.

Roobanguy posted:

The first few months of the game were so good. When people actually stared at each other when try fought instead of 180 over heading each other while spinning around in circles whirl winding. Also before every buff in the book could be thrown at the vanguard.

Also this.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 24, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The first few months of the game were so good. When people actually stared at each other when try fought instead of 180 over heading each other while spinning around in circles whirl winding. Also before every buff in the book could be thrown at the vanguard.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Repeatedly throwing your body at tasks is still pretty fun. It's why I stick to objective modes. You always get a little bit of awesome teamwork in before an ally halberdier murders you all.

Going all special agent as a crossbow archer is also pretty fun. Shooting knights from behind and watching them tk ally archers is hilarious. As is getting in sniper wars with other ace archers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Every server has a few people spinning, doing rainbow overheads etc, but the majority usually fights normally. It's not that hard to find good fights, and if you know what you're doing even the tryhards are beatable.

Rainbows are rare enough that I still get caught out by them a lot of the time.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Howdy folks. Anyone playing this still?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I load it up once in a while. x x 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I play almost every day.

• Locked thread