Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sleeptides posted:

So can someone go a bit more in depth about the term "open world PvE"? What does that actually mean in terms of how the game plays, and how close is it to a traditional mmo?

Is there leveling, questing, quest-hubs, etc.? Is any sort of instanced raiding planned?

I won't be in depth, but I will be honest:

In Firefall, you fly over everything in the "open world" (the world is really small and it feels even smaller due to the flying) in order to kill one of 4 "random events," which will get old on your first day of playing. You can also drop thumpers which are things that just spawn a bunch of mobs for you to kill.

You can try and twist that to sound better but it's true. PvE ain't fun right now and it remains to be seen if they can even take this concept and make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I got a beta invite for this from a friend a few months back, I installed it but never ended up playing. Sounds pretty interesting, maybe I'll actually give it a shot this time.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

THE PWNER posted:

I won't be in depth, but I will be honest:

In Firefall, you fly over everything in the "open world" (the world is really small and it feels even smaller due to the flying) in order to kill one of 4 "random events," which will get old on your first day of playing. You can also drop thumpers which are things that just spawn a bunch of mobs for you to kill.

You can try and twist that to sound better but it's true. PvE ain't fun right now and it remains to be seen if they can even take this concept and make it fun.

Once the Chosen Warfront is developed further and other PVE Event and Event Interaction is put into place the world should be far more interesting than it is right now.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Lemon King posted:

Once the Chosen Warfront is developed further and other PVE Event and Event Interaction is put into place the world should be far more interesting than it is right now.

not to mention more bosses.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Lemon King posted:

I'm excited about this also. And even as it is, I much prefer a smaller world full of action-based content that requires true skill to overcome rather than tab targeting and cycling through abilities. Melding thumping and battling chosen just never gets old for me. I put my headphones on, jack up my music, and the constant action is kind of like therapy. :gay:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Huge rear end Post of Huge rear end Patch Notes are up: http://www.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v0-6.85760/
Quoting it here would take up way too much room.

e: Oh gently caress yes, they pushed the Chosen Art finally.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 22, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lemon King posted:

Huge rear end Post of Huge rear end Patch Notes are up: http://www.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v0-6.85760/
Quoting it here would take up way too much room.

e: Oh gently caress yes, they pushed the Chosen Art finally.

Ugh those are loving awesome. Way too long to quote here, everyone go read that link. Red 5 might take loving forever to put out patches, but when they do they don't screw around.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh those are loving awesome. Way too long to quote here, everyone go read that link. Red 5 might take loving forever to put out patches, but when they do they don't screw around.

I was going to add it to the OP but it turned out to be a novel. A novel well-worth reading, I might add.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Wow, some of those changes sound really awesome. Read pretty much all of them and I can't wait to try them out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren::siren::siren: Also everyone come join us in #firefall on irc.synirc.net!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

kojicolnair posted:

Wow, some of those changes sound really awesome. Read pretty much all of them and I can't wait to try them out.

Got a feeling the 30 day license I bought in Star Conflict is going to go largely unused. Plus tomorrow is my birthday so I will go ahead and say this patch is just for me. Thanks.

Ed: anyone have clarification for the following:
"•Squad Thumpers are designed for full squads. Resources are shared equally amongst the squad (no splitting)." What is difference between sharing and splitting?

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 22, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I assume by splitting it means, if you get say 500 of a resource, split between 2 thats 250 each and if it's shared then everyone just gets 500 each.

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies
"All matches created via matchmaking are played at hours between 8am and 6pm in-game time (no more night time PvP)"

:what:

I jumped in after a 6 month break, and nobody was in PvP. Is this "no night time pvp" a new thing?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
:frog: :frog: :frog:

This sounds pretty cool. I'd like an invite code please.

EDIT: Removed email. Received invite!

Iron Chef Ramen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 22, 2013

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

hug your babies posted:

"All matches created via matchmaking are played at hours between 8am and 6pm in-game time (no more night time PvP)"

:what:

I jumped in after a 6 month break, and nobody was in PvP. Is this "no night time pvp" a new thing?

I think they mean game time, so the pvp matches won't be dark.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ianmacdo posted:

I think they mean game time, so the pvp matches won't be dark.

Yeah this is what they mean, it even says "in-game time" in that patch note quote.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

http://www.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v0-6.85760/page-10#post-1783267

Grummz posted:

This bears mentioning:

You are all part of a grand experiment...to change the way games are made. This patch is NOT delivering completed content and features. What it IS doing is sharing with you our development ideas at a very, very early stage...so you can help us finish them.

We believe in making games WITH our gamers. This is your chance. We take a great risk sharing things early, as many don't understand why we do it this way. We do it so that you have a voice, a say, and we have time to make the changes that matter, and learn from our players. We believe it is ultimately less risky to be innovative, when you can test along the way, rather than wait for a grand reveal that may fall flat.

So please understand...this patch changes nearly all aspects of the game, but it is just a BEGINNING, a glimpse into the kitchen. We're letting you taste the soup before its seasoned, and we know the taste will be far from perfect at first. That's where you guys come in.

Thank you.
Really interesting post by Grummz.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Such an odd choice to turn all the classes straight up into league of legends characters with the 3 skills, passive and ultimate design. Kicks the crap out of the old design for ease of use though.

edit:

quote:

Primary Weapon - Shock Rifle
Fires a straight laser that goes long distance and is very precise
Alternate Fire - Energy Orb
The Shock Rifle's alt-fire shoots an energy ball that can be detonated by hitting it with the primary fire of the weapon. Otherwise it explodes on impacting a surface.

:hellyeah: (was this always in?)

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 22, 2013

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

:frog: :frog: :frog:

This sounds pretty cool. I'd like an invite code please. whatsanemail818 at gmail dot com

Sent. You are now responsible for the next invite. Please keep an eye on the thread until the next request is complete.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Christ, it's just like last August. Almost a whole new game.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I was always partial to [OHGOD], maybe that's just the EVE memories though.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

Christopher posted:

Sent. You are now responsible for the next invite. Please keep an eye on the thread until the next request is complete.

I haven't received anything. :ohdear:

EDIT: Got it.

Iron Chef Ramen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 22, 2013

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I think as far as army names and such something along the lines of Tribesfall incorporating tribes and somehow maybe adding the whole "bees" theme works well for this game but my brain ran out of thinkjuice for actual suggestions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Gimmick Name posted:

:hellyeah: (was this always in?)

Nope. This patch is basically revamping the entire game and it's loving awesome.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The new Rhino and Recluse battleframes sound like they're going to be incredibly fun. Lasers everywhere, poison everywhere? Yes please.

Also really happy that the Biotech's primary weapon on the variants is having its alt-fire changed to something I'd actually use more often. Micro-healing waves and poison grenades, I'll take both of those over a shotgun blast that just chews through your ammo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

Increased base movement speeds in PvP
And this is why I was worried before when they started talking about making pve and pvp separate. Your muscle memory is going to go out the window.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

tlarn posted:

The new Rhino and Recluse battleframes sound like they're going to be incredibly fun. Lasers everywhere, poison everywhere? Yes please.

Also really happy that the Biotech's primary weapon on the variants is having its alt-fire changed to something I'd actually use more often. Micro-healing waves and poison grenades, I'll take both of those over a shotgun blast that just chews through your ammo.

Those are the two I'm interested in as well. I hope they've done just as good balancing the actual frames as they've done the descriptions. Almost every frame looks awesome to me. I'll probably end up trying them all like I did before the patch.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Mammoth battle frame looks amazing now.Can't wait to get home. Teleport shot now teleporting to wherever I shot? Sounds good to me!

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Pindakaas posted:

Mammoth battle frame looks amazing now.Can't wait to get home. Teleport shot now teleporting to wherever I shot? Sounds good to me!

This could potentially be incredibly useful both as a way to stalk prey and an escape tactic.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

All I've done the past few days is do hit and run attacks on Chosen squads and the Accord Recon suit now looks like it'll do that perfectly. Silly sniper rifle replaced with a medium range assault rifle and poo poo that is all about loving with enemies rather than winning outright firefights is all I wanted. Plus better Chosen patrols/squads will make it that much funner.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Finish patching, dammit. :argh:

Christopher
May 29, 2006

SovietSteel posted:

All I've done the past few days is do hit and run attacks on Chosen squads and the Accord Recon suit now looks like it'll do that perfectly. Silly sniper rifle replaced with a medium range assault rifle and poo poo that is all about loving with enemies rather than winning outright firefights is all I wanted. Plus better Chosen patrols/squads will make it that much funner.

Even the dragonfly looks viable now. The emergency response is a great addition along with healing dome. I hope I can sleep tonight waiting for this damned patch.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

Personal Thumpers are designed for 1-2 players. Resources recovered are split amongst the squad.
Squad Thumpers are designed for full squads. Resources are shared equally amongst the squad (no splitting).
What does this mean? What is the difference between split and shared?

Oh god

quote:

Alternate Fire – Snare Rounds

Fires plasma bolts accurately at a much slower rate, but snare targets upon impact
Natascha strikes again. When will developers learn that this kind of thing is just not fun.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 22, 2013

Miaou
Jun 13, 2008
Hey Iron Chef, I would love an invite if you've got one!

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

What does this mean? What is the difference between split and shared?

Oh god

Natascha strikes again. When will developers learn that this kind of thing is just not fun.

previously they were split, so the advanced thumper would give you like 5000 resources (numbers not correct, just an example), so if you had 5 people in your squad then each person would get 1000, but if you could do it with two people, each of you would get 2500.
So the personal ones will be split like that.

THe new thumper sounds like it gives you 1000 resources each, it won't matter if your squad has 2 people or 5 people. Probably to encourage people to let less experienced people into their squads.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Miaou posted:

Hey Iron Chef, I would love an invite if you've got one!

Please re-read the OP.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
This game looks great and I would love to give it a shot.

Got it!

Troll fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 22, 2013

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm kinda bummed out that my Tigerclaw frame won't have Rocket Jump anymore. Rocket Jump + Afterburner gave me so, so much mobility that it was difficult to use anything else. I loved being able to continuously Rocket Jump + Afterburner boost my glider to travel half of the playable map before landing, or fly up giant cliffs that everybody else would have to run around.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nalin posted:

I'm kinda bummed out that my Tigerclaw frame won't have Rocket Jump anymore. Rocket Jump + Afterburner gave me so, so much mobility that it was difficult to use anything else. I loved being able to continuously Rocket Jump + Afterburner boost my glider to travel half of the playable map before landing, or fly up giant cliffs that everybody else would have to run around.

Yeah, everything in the patch looks cool enough that I'm still excited for the patch, but Tigerclaw was my favorite class entirely for the mobility. (I ran cannonball, afterburners, rocket jump, didn't even bother with offensive abilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonatir
Apr 9, 2010

Troll posted:

:frog:

This game looks great and I would love to give it a shot.

Sent, don't forget to invite others when you get the chance.

• Locked thread