Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do I get a feeling the whole "you can lose entire servers to the enemy :supaburn:" thing is just a fancy way of dealing with servers that plummet in terms of population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So are characters getting wiped at some stage or are we good now?

e; which one of you took the name FourEyes :mad:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, can get myself snuggled down into my engineer then. :3:

Chat and stores seem to be working again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hmm. Where's a decent over-view of the various frames? I'm not sure if I want to run around fixing stuff or bonking healing wrenches over peoples' heads.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the info, guys. UI and connection issues aside game is growing on me - now I just need to figure out how to stop it making my GPU fan go berserk every so often. Sounds like a jet engine on the runway.

And, uh, I'm not usually one to complain about this stuff but the underwear is pretty ridiculous on female Battleframes. When am I not running around in knickers?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 9, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

babydonthurtme posted:

There's even an addon to add a pants leg to the engineer frames. I always notice when it's not enabled. ALWAYS.

Goddamn that OP is an intolerable poo poo (and that avatar :gonk:). Why does stuff like this always come from Nexus type folk.

"My reason for covering the leg was realism. A naked leg wouldn't be able to support the several kg of a Battleframe."

Um, alright then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Emergent gameplay. Bunch of Chosen attacked the starter town and I got downed. Saved by a massive dude wielding a giant :black101: cannon. Game owns. Then it bugs out and you can't access anything or spend experience points, but hey ho.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, everything except combat is broken right now. I'm stuck with my basic weapons because I can't buy, craft or equip anything else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Goddammit, everything's working for me except Battleframe equipment slots. I can't unlock any new abilities or do any of the poo poo the tutorial's harping on about.

e; turns out it's my CPU fan making all the noise. wtf is this game doing.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 10, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo the HP levels of enemies in Ares missions. Defiance come back, all is forgiven. :catstare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a witch hat in the store. GIVE IT. :byodood:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got tweak guides or the like handy - i.e. what options are dependent on what, which has noticeable changes on the game, etc? It seems my CPU fan goes loving nuts when I turn on, say, lighting effects but stuff like models has no effect on it. I'm not worried about damage per se but there's that nagging doubt in the back of my head that the computer will explode and kill everyone because it was trying to render a machine gun's muzzle flash for too long.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So....do missions, use thumper, get upgrades that way? Is it really that simple?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What accent does Aero have, anyway? I can't place her.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I kept thinking she was Russian. :downs:

And my fan problem from earlier has been "fixed". Turns out most stuff putting load on the CPU is making it go bugfuck. Cleaned it with some compressed air which helped but I don't think the arsehole high temperature here is really helping. I'll just have to grin and bear it I guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, events are kind of terrible. By the time I get to any of the drat things they've expired or been completed already.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I love the engineer deployables but I dislike the grenade launcher. Can I replace that with another primary later on, or am I stuck with it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, decided to just experiment with the Dreadnaught for a while instead. Not a big fan of grenade launchers in any form - giant machine guns used by maniacal, psychopathic British women however... :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I need to get my head around the crafting system first. :v:

Really though, at the moment my two big issues with the game are how "floaty" combat feels (there's no real sense of impact with your weapons, and enemies springing into existence without any animation is just a dick move...) and the terrible, awful quick travel system. I know lets not indicate how long it'll be until a drop ship arrives and make movement speed sluggish by default.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno, it's hard to describe really. It feels like everything is sliding along the floor and my guns are just lasers that drain hitpoints. The sound is great, but I don't really feel like gun and hapless target are really interacting with each other or the world.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, I tried my engineer again after doing a bit of reading on the crafting system and learned two things:

1.) When being chased by an entire Chosen strike force, it's hilarious to get full HKM meter then slap down a shield and the manned turret. They can't damage you but you sure as hell can hurt them.

2.) The "sophisticated" voice for women is absolutely insane. "THIS is BLOODY BRILLIANT :byodood:"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it worth upgrading through the tiers of equipment or just saving up and going straight for the higher ones?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

xxEightxx posted:

Personally I have spent a lot of time at t3 because the grind to t4 and equipment for t4 can get really expensive.

Well, I guess I'm more talking T1/2/3 at the moment, Mr Richy Rich Wealthy. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, looking into the crafting a bit more I didn't quite grasp the quality thing...oops! Oh well. I'll just make up for it tomorrow and get some more CY in, then start putting T2 weaponry together. I just don't wanna be stuck shooting bugs, I guess.

honestly, the game will really benefit from a much better and more transparent tutorial. It tells you to do stuff but not why or, in a lot of cases, how.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 18, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I grabbed myself a T1 SMG and some leg running improving speed thingies and have already noticed a fairly decent difference. Going to get myself a shotgun and T1 versions of all my other stuff sometime tomorrow.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any point in keeping a basic frame once you can access the specialized ones? I keep getting variations of "they let you get tokens :downs:" from people without anything more specific than that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You know I'm pretty sure the crafting system has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components just to say it has a gently caress ton of separate crafting components.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, the forum community goes nuts about player trading topics. Even staff members wander in with hilariously defensive :smug: do you see any gold sellers in our game :smug: comments.

edit; apparently the guy making these comments, Grumms?, is the CEO. Ahahahahaha.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 22, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I hate this game why can't I stop playing it oh god.

My biggest issue at the moment is how rigid a lot of the mechanics feel when it comes to the different frames. Maybe spending all that time in Dark Souls has made my expectations a little too high, but being stuck with a very specific primary weapon is annoying. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do enemy groups have any tactics beyond "instantly alert every ally in 600 yards, converge on single player"?

e; ugh, on second thoughts I just uninstalled the drat thing. Spent two hours loving around trying to get to ARES missions and the like to have them finish before I got there due to terrain design, or just be another clusterfuck of circle strafing mobs. Really wasn't having fun.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 23, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blazing Zero posted:

Yeah, poptart fairy. I agree with you. I got up to a mammoth frame and I upgraded jumpjets and servos so missing out on missions right before I get there isn't an issue. It's just there weren't many people interested in lower tier missions and what not for me to catch up to the guys in guild doing the higher end things. Doing them solo turns into what you describe, fairy. I'll have another look at the game when (if) they add pvp that's more than just arena crap.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I'm not hating the game I'm just finding it too frustrating to devote to it the sort of time it wants from me. I'll probably pick it up again in future.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vulpix posted:

Best part was the justification from the developers was in summary "other games do it too".

I never did get a response when I pointed out to Phobos that other games have alternate means of getting armor dyes and stuff that wasn't real life money.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Firefall: Just Like Those Other Korean MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MadHat posted:

That is an odd response when R5 likes pointing out how they are doing things not like other games.

This is pretty much the developers' attitude all around, it seems.

"We'll do things differently unless we don't want to :smug:"

Yeah yeah official forums and all that, but holy gently caress the people they've got posting there are incredibly punchable for this sort of thing.

• Locked thread