Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Silento posted:

I agree that the second half of 5ds was filled with some terrible slice of life episodes. Some of them were cool though, there was one where Jack went off to rescue a cop from a gang, and when the gang, against all precedent, didn't give up when their leader lost a duel he beat them all up. Jack is a man's man.

Major 5ds spoilersAlso I thought Z-One was a cool villian, and the whole thing about Yusei doing the over-top accel synchro was 100% feel-good shounen cheese. And the Rua being the 6th signer thing was much better written then Crow getting a mark because he was kinda-involved (or something, I'm not sure. It was weird.).

Z-ONE would have been better if they actually made him Yusei. Making him some random scientist dude who underwent plastic surgery just didn't make sense not even in the hilarious twisted way of logic YGO does. I agree with you about the rest. They should have just discarded Crow all together and let Rua his mark and the dragon at the end of the DS arc. They really forced into the show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember an episode of GX where a Tarzan like student stole special egg sandwiches :psyduck:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kurtofan posted:

I remember an episode of GX where a Tarzan like student stole special egg sandwiches :psyduck:

Thank god GX got away from those season 1 episodic random bullshit things and started having a plot. I got tired of tennis episodes and such PDQ.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I got the first Vanguard manga as a free promotional item. I didn't even know it had an anime.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
So, is Zexal worth watching? I haven't watched many episodes, because I couldn't get past the kattobingu crap.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I watched the first 24 episodes, give or take a few. It was really bad. Really bad. I definitely wouldn't reccomend it. I gave up when I saw the transformation sequence... It was stupid, even for Yugioh.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I dropped ZEXAL after like episode 4. Watched the dub to try that, and same thing. It's bad.

Just watch Vanguard instead if you want to watch a card battle anime currently releasing. Or maybe Kaijudo if it's any good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's also Battle Spirits, for a third option.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Justin_Brett posted:

There's also Battle Spirits, for a third option.

How is that? I never had a chance to pick that up, and now it just looks daunting.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Cardfight!! Vanguard also has an English dub that Bushiroad is uploading to Youtube along with a few promos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CARDFIGHTVanguard

It's apparently done by Ocean/Blue Water, the same studio that dubbed G Gundam, and it's pretty faithful to the Japanese version aside from the OP/ED and a few insert songs being done in English (by the same musicians too :aaa:)

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The two issues I have with the dub are the usual " murrkan actors pronouncing Japanese names" on a couple characters, and the fact that they use the first OP all season.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Obscil posted:

So, is Zexal worth watching? I haven't watched many episodes, because I couldn't get past the kattobingu crap.

No, is horrible. After the excellent (for the genre at least) 5D's everything that was wrong in all the previous series, the main character is a complete moron, the rival is a mix and match of previous rivals and the power creep is getting ridiculous. The main character has the power to made cards out of thin air to win.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Senerio posted:

How is that? I never had a chance to pick that up, and now it just looks daunting.

Depends what you're looking for. Only one show in the series is a direct sequel, and they're all pretty much different. The first one and Heroes are pretty much just fluff, while Gekiha and Brave are more about the plot. Sword Eyes seems a bit in the middle so far.

And don't forget the creepy loli fanservice in Zexal, that's pretty loving awful too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The only good thing I can say about Zexal is that it brought back the original show to TV. Watch that instead.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Senerio posted:

What I like about the first Battle Spirits (hadn't watched the others, not enough interest) is that most of the games itself are quick and short, no matter how important. I believe the finals of the multiple tournament championships/competitions don't even last a whole episode. As someone who had only watched Yu-Gi-Oh before it, I found it interesting how it just skips from the start of a duel to the turn where the characters had almost laid all of their cards on the table. I suppose the game rules at the time doesn't allow for many interesting set-ups.

Regarding Cardfight Vanguard, did Kai ever lose again after the first episode? I watched the series as far as the tournament battle against the owners of the pirate/sailor-based card shop and just can't handle how easily he wins each one of his battles without a sweat. It kind of jars against Aichi's frequent losses.

Lastly, what happened to the YGO:5D manga?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Lastly, what happened to the YGO:5D manga?

It's still ongoing to the this day, it never disappeared at all. It's just scanlaters fell behind and then Viz licensed it so the series started being officially released over here as volume sets like GX. They're super slow at it though, at the rate of 1-2 volumes per year.

As for what's happening plot wise from what I remember from reading spoilers on other forums battle city styled tournaments, the skeleton guy is actually Rudger, the twins are player killers hired by Rex and Rex actually adopted Jack and Kiryu when they were kids in an orphanage.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

toanoradian posted:

Regarding Cardfight Vanguard, did Kai ever lose again after the first episode? I watched the series as far as the tournament battle against the owners of the pirate/sailor-based card shop and just can't handle how easily he wins each one of his battles without a sweat. It kind of jars against Aichi's frequent losses.

Kai's job is to be guy who loses against the main bad guy of the season and never again. That said, consider the fact that Kai has been playing for a while, is a founding member of Foo Fighters/Asteroid, and, by his own admission, was a spergy "play to win" guy until the first episode of the series, compared to his teammates: a newbie who literally never played the game before the beginning of the series, a cocksure brat who, while talented, isn't as great as he thinks he is, and a genius with photographic memory who gets traumatic flashbacks to her parents death every time she plays, and you can understand why he is the ace of the team.

That said, yes, he does have losses under his belt, just mostly to the villains of the season and Aichi, who he doesn't definitively beat until Season 2; PSYchi would have been able to guard Kai's final turn in episode 50.

Also, I was doing a thing on synchtube with my friends where we watched episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight, and the like at a predetermined time. Due to the fact that synchtube died, my friends all lost interest in the whole "gotta expend effort to watch this poo poo," so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in something like that using IRC or something. Nothing formal, just watching random episodes of one of these shows and making fun of the dramatic reactions to a card game.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Synchtube died? That sucks.

And yeah, that's what I liked about Duel Masters while it was on. They didn't feel the need to show absolutely everything, which made the game seem as quick as it usually is in real life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I will openly admit to loving the Doma Saga in the original Yugioh series if only for the fact that Pharaoh Yugi actually gets his rear end legit handed to him in a duel and spends half the arc flipping out on people completely against character due to losing Yugi's soul. Of course, the best part is when he freaks out on the train against Insector Haga birthing the DRAW MONSUTAA KAADO! meme in the process.

I think a lot of the charm of the Doma arc comes from just how insane it was. In the earlier arc the worst that happened in the duels was some mind-fuckery and torture. In the Doma arc almost every duel ends with someone (essentially) getting killed. Also every duel including Kaiba or the ridiculous Active Armor deck was magic to watch. For what was really just a filler arc it was pretty good. :3:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

planetarial posted:

As for what's happening plot wise from what I remember from reading spoilers on other forums battle city styled tournaments, the skeleton guy is actually Rudger, the twins are player killers hired by Rex and Rex actually adopted Jack and Kiryu when they were kids in an orphanage.
Sounds better than the last half of the anime. :colbert: Is Aki(za) still the Black Rose Witch or at least get duels in it?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can use plug.dj to synchronize watching YouTube videos. This isn't the kind of thing it's meant for, but it should get the job done.

As for the quality of Vanguard's dub, I don't know. I thought that it was pretty bad. The acting is wooden, the character they're doing is pretty different from the original, or both.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There is definitely a learning curve for the actors in the dub, but once they get it down, it's good. For example, I really liked episodes 41-50's dub (I watched episodes 1-4 and skipped to 41 because I can watch that arc over and over and over).

Then again, I generally watch dubs over subs if both are available, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do like that they gave Aichi a deeper voice in the dub.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xoidanor posted:

I think a lot of the charm of the Doma arc comes from just how insane it was. In the earlier arc the worst that happened in the duels was some mind-fuckery and torture. In the Doma arc almost every duel ends with someone (essentially) getting killed. Also every duel including Kaiba or the ridiculous Active Armor deck was magic to watch. For what was really just a filler arc it was pretty good. :3:

That armor deck was the best thing the writers ever came up with. I don't care if it would be broken as hell, I wanted that deck to be real so bad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have a real Seal of Orichalcos I run in my machine deck.

That arc was a lot of fun because of the interesting combinations the heroes' cards could do

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I got into YGO back when it first started and quit after GX, apparently the anime got better but 4Kids skipped the last couple arcs due to 5Ds starting and they wanted to skip straight to the new anime. Did Duel Masters ever pick up though i remember the anime and actually bought a few of the starter decks and eventually taught my cousin how to play it.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Senerio posted:

Also, I was doing a thing on synchtube with my friends where we watched episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight, and the like at a predetermined time. Due to the fact that synchtube died, my friends all lost interest in the whole "gotta expend effort to watch this poo poo," so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in something like that using IRC or something. Nothing formal, just watching random episodes of one of these shows and making fun of the dramatic reactions to a card game.

Would it be sub or dub? Either way I would join. Though I greatly would prefer sub, I still haven't watched DM in full in Japanese.

Autumncomet posted:

Sounds better than the last half of the anime. :colbert: Is Aki(za) still the Black Rose Witch or at least get duels in it?

She's called the Queen of Queens I think. She actually gets time to duel more than once every twenty episodes and has won twice so far, in four matches. According to spoilers Rex reawakens her previous life in her body for a short time during the finals of the current tournament.

Oh and I really like her new ace card, design wise. Black Rose Dragon was already a nice card but it is pretty great http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Angel_of_Roses.

planetarial fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

planetarial posted:

Would it be sub or dub? Either way I would join. Though I greatly would prefer sub, I still haven't watched DM in full in Japanese.

For Yu-Gi-Oh, legally we can only watch the dub because I don't see the Japanese version online legally.
That said, if you have the sub you can feel free to watch that along in lieu of the dub. Because of how I set this up, it's your choice anyway. You'd be providing the video for your own watching--I'll link to the legal methods to see them. If I do this, I'd probably start off with a few episodes of Vanguard to see how this all works, then we'd work out a schedule.

If by DM you mean Duel Masters you aren't missing out. That said, we finished Duel Masters about three months ago, so I wouldn't be showing that.

I got a box of Vanguard cards yesterday for $60, and I got two $40 cards in it (Majesty Lord Blaster and Dragonic Overlord the End), at least one of them I intend to sell. I don't want to talk about the card games themselves often in the thread, but that was an impressive haul so I felt I had to share.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So just caught up on Link Joker, and Kai's back, which is nice, and Misaki actually won an important game, which is good because I don't remember her doing since like Season 1 finals.

In card game news, Leon Soryu's trial deck is out, and it looks really fun.
Navelgazer Dragon, in particular, can set up a total of 5 attacks in the turn if his Limit Break Activates. With a Critical Trigger and some luck, you can wipe out an opponent in one turn!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, I'm not the only one who thinks LK has just completely stopped giving a poo poo about YGO Abridged? Between the almost complete lack of updates and the complete lack of quality when he actually does... (Oh god that last season zero episode was godawful.)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

He seems to be doing other things now. I admit I forget about the series and then it pops up in my podcast subscription. I wish he'd do 5Ds; it's the better series and that one shot a while back was decent. On the other hand, it started the Worst Meme so maybe not.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I liked some of the latest Season 0 episode, but I also really loved the 5ds special so I'm all for that as well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Senerio posted:

So just caught up on Link Joker, and Kai's back, which is nice, and Misaki actually won an important game, which is good because I don't remember her doing since like Season 1 finals.

In card game news, Leon Soryu's trial deck is out, and it looks really fun.
Navelgazer Dragon, in particular, can set up a total of 5 attacks in the turn if his Limit Break Activates. With a Critical Trigger and some luck, you can wipe out an opponent in one turn!

Misaki needs to share that good fortune with Kourin. She's only allowed to beat guys who are completely incompetent at the game.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's still consistent with her playing skill in Seasons 1 and 2.

Misaki, on the other hand, beat one of the members of Team Asteroid/Foo Fighters! She should have a better W/L record than she does.

Also, yeah, LK is doing other stuff, so his Abridged Series hasn't really been amazing. (I don't remember an episode I've really loved since the Domino part of the Battle City arc, excluding the movie).

5D's is amazing until Crow shows up. Then it's merely great.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

legoman727 posted:

So, I'm not the only one who thinks LK has just completely stopped giving a poo poo about YGO Abridged? Between the almost complete lack of updates and the complete lack of quality when he actually does... (Oh god that last season zero episode was godawful.)

I dunno. There were a couple pretty terrible episodes in the Virtual World arc for sure, and the increasing amount of filler content like convention announcement videos and Lets Plays is troubling, but Team 4Star haven't been that much better in terms of making real videos vs dumb crap.

Season Zero 3 was pretty bad, but since Season Zero 2 had me in stitches I'm ok with that. At the very least the Virtual World finale was a great episode, and the first two of the Finals have been at least OK (though I might be biased because Joey's duel with Marik was pretty much some of my favorite episodes of Yugioh ever.) Before that even if the quality of the actual episodes was fluctuating during the second half of the VR arc, we got the NGE and 5D's specials plus the anniversary movie, which were all gold in my eyes. And the first half was fine.

I dunno, I don't think we need to mark LK's grave just yet.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I personally still like YGOTAS, but the slow output kinda sucks.

How is Zexal? I've never seen it, but from what I've heard it's completely ridiculous, even more than 5Ds? :confused:

Also, if anyone ever wanted to see the differences between the dubbed version and subbed version of the original YGO, here's a comparison site (spoiler warning, as it's kinda like an episode guide). Some of the changes are pretty dumb.
The dub theme song for the original is still the best though. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Booky posted:

How is Zexal? I've never seen it, but from what I've heard it's completely ridiculous, even more than 5Ds? :confused:

It's ridiculous. In a bad way.

quote:

The dub theme song for the original is still the best though. :colbert:

Yup. Only card anime theme that comes close is the first Vanguard theme, and that's kinda stacked, being a JAM Project theme designed to play in the big moments of the series.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Booky posted:

Also, if anyone ever wanted to see the differences between the dubbed version and subbed version of the original YGO, here's a comparison site (spoiler warning, as it's kinda like an episode guide). Some of the changes are pretty dumb.

It's bad, really bad. And the protagonist is dumb, even beyond the point of most shonen protags. He literally goes to school without realizing he's in a bee costume for example. At least for 5D's the first two arcs were good (although the first one was better due to the lack of Crow and other stupid stuff), it was so completely serious which made the ridiculous elements better and some of the characters were likable. It's just a mess here.

And yeah, it's a shame it's impossible to watch the original YGO in Japanese legally unless you want to shell out money for the expensive Japanese DVDs or the rare uncut DVDs for the first few episodes. The site is neat and I think there's a 5D's version of it floating around somewhere.

Senerio posted:

Yup. Only card anime theme that comes close is the first Vanguard theme, and that's kinda stacked, being a JAM Project theme designed to play in the big moments of the series.

I personally also liked the last two opening themes for 5D's and the last one for GX (which for the former was also done by a JAM Project member). If there is one thing YGO got right every time it was the music.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Crow really hurt 5D's. Apparently Blackwings sold so well that the marketing executives demanded he be made a main character or something like that. Contrast the show before and after his arrival:

Before: We have the main character Yusei, his rival Jack Atlas, and the other signers Akiza and Luna, on reasonably balanced footing. The main character and his rival are going to get power upgrades, but the other three aren't going to be OVERLY useless. Akiza has enough talent to take on the B-listers, and Luna is competent enough to face the C-listers.

After: Hey look at Crow! He's awesome! He's totally best buds with Jack Atlas and Yusei! They were also friends with this fourth guy who's a MAJOR VILLAIN (until he's redeemed) now! He can outpace the main characters even without signer powers due to his bullshit Blackwing deck! Isn't he the best? Wait, what's that? He doesn't have signer powers? Now he does! And it's Yusei's old signer mark too, now that he has Godwin's! Don't you just love Crow? But wait, there's more! His bike flies! Oh, Akiza and Luna (and Leo, who was actually supposed to get the Signer Mark Crow got)? They aren't good enough to save the world anymore. Now they're benchwarmers (and Akiza is labelled "Benchwarmer" explicitly in one of the endings). It's now the Crow, Yusei, and Jack Atlas show!

Best part: in the games where you have a self-insert? You take Crow's place in the story.

And yet all this is still better than ZEXAL. Keep that in mind.

Yeah, I expended more thought than I should have on this post, but I actually liked 5Ds until Crow showed up.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Senerio posted:

And yet all this is still better than ZEXAL. Keep that in mind.

This is one of those things that doesn't really need to be said. I don't know if I'd even choose Zexal over Season 1 of GX based on the three or four episodes I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

planetarial posted:

I personally also liked the last two opening themes for 5D's and the last one for GX (which for the former was also done by a JAM Project member). If there is one thing YGO got right every time it was the music.

Well, not quite every time...

• Locked thread