Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Worldwide Panther posted:

Well, not quite every time...

I like it, it's catchy. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Worldwide Panther posted:

Well, not quite every time...

It's alright, my least favorite but it suits early GX well before things went weird and it's offset by having an ending by JAM Project.

And here's the comparison site for GX/5D's though with only half of 5D's done and nothing else. I can't imagine they would edit much in Zexal besides the improvement of adding length to that terrible short skirt of Kotori's.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Silento posted:

I like it, it's catchy. :shobon:

Yeah. Just GET ON THE DECK and stop hatin'.

About 5D's: I actually liked Crow. But I was biased, since I used to play the game, and his deck was the only one that was actually good and wouldn't cost 1000 bucks.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 3, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

For me, it's not so much dislike of Crow as "Aki(za) was all set up to be a main character don't you do this and turn her into Tea :argh:". I think it was during the Grand Prix arc that Akiza substitutes for Crow, barely loses (kind of dumbly, now that I reread the episode summary), and then gets injured since her powers were not working, falling unconscious for a time. And then Crow takes his place on the team back. It just screams of "okay, let the girl have a battle but she can't win because of plot reasons and then Crow can take back over!!"

I did end up liking Bruno, Greiger, Sherry, and Carly, that's how you do side characters. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

planetarial posted:

It's alright, my least favorite but it suits early GX well before things went weird and it's offset by having an ending by JAM Project.

Man gently caress the haters. Japanese ska is awesome. This was on my playlist for years.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Autumncomet posted:

It just screams of "okay, let the girl have a battle but she can't win because of plot reasons and then Crow can take back over!!"

Yeah, that's basically what I meant.
Also, yeah, the side characters were a lot of fun.

Oh, I created #saccg on SynIRC so we can talk about Children's Card Games from Japan too; get groups going, play around online, that sort of stuff.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senerio posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I meant.
Also, yeah, the side characters were a lot of fun.

Oh, I created #saccg on SynIRC so we can talk about Children's Card Games from Japan too; get groups going, play around online, that sort of stuff.

That souns awesome, but I have no idea of how use IRC :smith:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

For something really primitive, you can use this with your username and #saccg. If you have Firefox, try ChatZilla and make sure when you join a channel, it's on irc.synirc.net, and then type /join #saccg.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That souns awesome, but I have no idea of how use IRC :smith:

http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

It's simple and easy, just type in your desired nickname and the room and go. There's other ways but this the most simple one.

On topic, I would also like to add Ushio and Sherry's butler to the awesome side character pile, the latter for being particularly :black101: during his moments.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

planetarial posted:

http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

It's simple and easy, just type in your desired nickname and the room and go. There's other ways but this the most simple one.

On topic, I would also like to add Ushio and Sherry's butler to the awesome side character pile, the latter for being particularly :black101: during his moments.

It worked! Thanks!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There's a new episode of YGOTAS, for the first time in who knows how long. http://yugiohabridged.com/

I enjoyed it, except for a few small things.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
I'm actually a big fan of GX (though I have no problems believe that it's an acquired taste of mine). To be fair, even though I enjoyed the story (mainly from when the Destiny hero appear and onward), the main reason why I liked it a lot was because it's where most of my favorite archetypes came from (HERO, Neos, Ojama). I'm shamefully a bit of a Yugioh hipster who really liked how the game was before synchros came and would do my darnedest to play with my favorite deck without using any of them.

Got my rear end kicked in any gathering that wasn't in my circle of friends obviously, but even when I stopped playing I still have my decks with me.

Burning Justice fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 6, 2013

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GX is my favorite of the four YGO shows. It just...really takes a while to get going. The first season is honestly kind of bland and feels really fillerish, even most of the plot important episodes. Once the second season gets going though, the show really picks up.

That being said, the first season gave us the most hilarious dub episode ever. Episode 39, whereupon 4Kids thought it would be a fantastic idea to have a Christopher Walken impersonator voice Don Zaloog.

Probably the best decision 4Kids has ever made. :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno, them deciding to skip the last season of GX wholesale was probably cool too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno, them deciding to skip the last season of GX wholesale was probably cool too.

Season 4 was the best GX ever produced. It ended on Yugi getting one last duel with the god cards, worth it. :colbert:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 6, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Yugioh was a lot of fun to watch, even though it was pretty hit or miss at times. The best part is following along with the GB/A games and tried to replicate the combos seen on TV and compete in Battle City/Shadow Realm.

It was probably the easiest deckbuilding game because creating a tempo/beatdown deck with mass removal and bounce gave you a pretty consistent deck. But playing the card combos like cantripping to a first turn Exodia or ramping up to an Egyptian God felt great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I don't know if this was ever brought up, but a while back, a one-shot was made featuring M13 and presumably sponsored or commissioned by Wizards. It's called Magic: The Gathering Academy Student Council. It's a one-shot, so there's only one chapter, but it's an interesting possibility in how an M:TG manga might be made if it didn't have to delve into Dominaria (the plane that everything use to take place on) or any of the in-setting stuff.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burning Justice posted:

Got my rear end kicked in any gathering that wasn't in my circle of friends obviously, but even when I stopped playing I still have my decks with me.

Pfft. I used to own Regionals* with my E-Hero deck.

*By Regionals I mean locals except that time E-Hero Airman came out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mostly play on dueling network now. Got a machine deck that wins about twice as often as it loses so that's good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I would try playing again but the obstacle of having to learn how the Xyz-monsters and new meta works seem like an insurmountable obstacle now when I have work. :(

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have a real life Dark World deck that I got from a friend when he went into the military. It's a 500 dollar deck, and the only time I've lost with it was against a Heratatic deck.

It's also no fun to play, so my other deck is just Cyber Dragons, Big Cores, and Machina Fortresses, and is based on getting out monsters to beat you down, instead of killing all my monsters in order to get them all on the field, in order to kill all your monsters with effects, in order to beat you on turn 2 (or one, if you go first).

What I'm saying is that super good decks are boring as hell to play, and Xoid you should have fun even if you are losing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man it's been forever since I played this game against an actual person. Mostly I just fiddle around with the games, like the Tag Force series. I still like the game, but Jesus the game has gotten insane since I stopped playing. Not to mention it seems like most of my favorite cards have become useless: I mean what good is a monster with 3500 ATK and spell immunity when the average XYZ and Synchro monster has abilities like "you are now immune to all things, forever. Every Standby Phase punch your opponent in the dick. If he flinches, you win the match," and "when this card is summoned, set your opponents deck on fire." Seriously, who wants to live in a world where Blue Eyes is bottom tier?

Also I've begun watching 5D's and I'm surprised how into it I am. I mean seriously, it's a show about playing card games while riding motorcycles, it really has no right to be this engrossing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blue-Eyes is actually pretty good right now. They just released a Blue-Eyes structure game that gave him some insane support.

When the September banlist rolls around and gets rid of the current top tiered stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blue-Eyes decks start topping YCS events.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've never liked it to jump onto the bandwagon of the 'meta' decks, the game turns boring really quickly. After five or six years I keep using my good ol' alien deck, a lot of players have to read once or twice their effects before they start calling bullshit, is so great :allears:

Another great deck to have fun is the recently released Noble Knights, a set of cards focused on the tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table who aside of having interesting mechanics have a bitchin' artwork (apparently from the UDON guys) since are a set of cards made for the west market on mind

Of course I got mi rear end handed to me most often that not but at least is fun.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
When I get my new laptop I'll try to set something up to explain XYZs and Synchros for people who don't get it, and will explain duelingnetwork/lackey/etc for our card playing needs

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Got my hand on some software called DevPro which does most of the playing for you (like the DS games) and have been having a blast just building old-school decks. Still haven't touched the xyz monsters though, their effects range between pointless and insane. Number 9 is by far the worst offender.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The very basics of how to play Yu-Gi-Oh online!

LackeyCCG
Lackey CCG is a very general for-everything card battle thing. It's not overly intuitive at first--you have to do literally everything yourself--but it is up to date and you can play most of your card games there. I used it for Vanguard too.

Dueling Network
A web-based client for Yu-Gi-Oh! It's simple and easy to use. Unlike Lackey, it does some of the smaller things for you, though you still have to do damage and destruction stuff yourself. Also you can unlock special Portrait Icons(monster pictures) with wins and deck backs with the nebulous EXP system.

YGOPro
I only really used this once, but it is probably the best of the three. It requires some setup and isn't really multiplatform without massive amounts of bullshit, so if you don't want to deal with all that stick with Dueling Network or Lackey. I used it like twice so I can't comment much beyond that.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I guess I could link to my own method of playing YGO online - DevPro.

It's pretty much YGOPro, but with more customization. Incidentally, are we just going to use this thread as a YGO TCG thread, or should someone make a thread in TG? I'd like to chat more about the game itself. I've been making a lot of decks lately (Assault Mode, Beasts, T.G) and I'd like to find some more goons to duel.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My original plan was to use this to talk about the Animes, but because nobody really has poo poo to say about them, feel free to talk about the cards.

I have a Machine Deck primarily, because it's fun, though it doesn't have the highest W/L ratio because I don't have many Synchros or XYZs in a club full of them.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I got back into YGO with 5D's so I'm fine Synchro's but I always seem to be screwed over by Xyz's. It means I run a lot of Synchro based decks like Psychics, Gusto and T.G rather than Xyz decks like Mermails and Constellars.

Personally, I think more people need to give Synchro decks a go. While they can seem a little confusing to work with at first, you eventually start getting the hang of things. Xyz's are just really easy on the other hand and I've been traumatised by fighting too many R7 Xyz's like Big Eye(steals one monster per turn) and Dracosack(invincible with tokens, summons tokens).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm one of those weirdos who like to use ‘odds’ decks no matter how lovely can be. Usually that means using pure archtype decks and barely using synchros or xyz. Currently I'm using an Alien control deck and pure Noble Knight and for those old players the current banlist has made the format slower and banned a lot of cards considered staples like heavy storm or solemn judgment (big eye was banned too :v:)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I will never understand ban lists. Cards that are restricted to one per deck, I get.

And why would they ban Solemn Judgement? It has a huge cost of half your current life points.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Half your lifepoints to negate any card your opponent plays is a tremendously powerful effect in a game where combo is king.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Livingtrope posted:

Half your lifepoints to negate any card your opponent plays is a tremendously powerful effect in a game where combo is king.

This, plus the metagame was inan state in that the one going first was pretty much the winner. Between the overpowered effects from some cards, the ease to search on your deck and the abundance of removal/negation it was pretty hard to actually play without your opponent going 'NOPE'

If anything this list will force a lot of players to work moreon their strategies and stop going for the cookie cutter combos.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Schubalts posted:

I will never understand ban lists. Cards that are restricted to one per deck, I get.

And why would they ban Solemn Judgement? It has a huge cost of half your current life points.

The idea behind a ban list for any competitive TCG is that the card ended up being too good, in the sense that any deck is at a severe disadvantage for not running it at all. In Magic the Gathering's Extended format, for example, Mental Misstep was banned because any deck can run them, and Extended is a format where turn one drops are important. When they first came out on the format, pretty much every deck was running four, to the point where the archetypes hurt by it the most also ran four of their own just to counter everybody else's four. The same could easily be said for, say, Strip Mine in the Legacy format. Then there are cards that were never really playtested during development and it turned out they were stupidly overpowered, such as Tolarian Academy, a card that generated a lot of mana based on how many artifacts you own, being released at a time when artifact cards were famous for generating stupid amounts of mana, combined with artifact cards that could cause further abuse and blue spells that benefitted way too much from that excess of mana. Seriously, at the time of its release, there was no reason to not play a Tolarian Academy deck as it gave you a lot of control and options, and you could potentially win games if you went first with a few backup plans if you couldn't win on said first turn, and those backup plans ensured your opponent's exact same deck would not win because you still have that first turn advantage. Restricting Tolarian Academy down to one card wouldn't have slowed the deck down much, as blue is the color best known for getting whatever card you want, and you'd still get the same ridiculous amount of power very early in game.

I didn't played Yu-Gi-Oh much, mostly just a bit back when the game was brand new, but I do remember a lot of cards being stupidly powerful in a game where you don't have to pay any upfront cost for most cards and they could fit in any deck at all. Pokémon had the same issue when the base set included cards like Professor Oak and Computer Search, where the "drawback" of discarding your hand/discarding two cards doesn't matter when the end result would potentially be more desirable than whatever is in your hand right now.

I do remember Solemn Judgment from back in the day, though. Paying half your life is a small price to pay to keep board control, especially when you can just have it sitting there until you really need it. You don't have to counter the first thing the opponent plays, just any game changers. If I were playing Yu-Gi-Oh still, I'd be running three of them in any deck provided I had room for them, and even then I'd make room for them. The ability to counter anything is a powerful effect, to the point where Wizards of the Coast has made strides to weaken countermagic in recent years, the biggest of which being the classic Counterspell, a staple blue card and the standard by which all other countermagic was "balanced" around, ended up being replaced by Cancel in later base sets. There's something to be said about the difference of one mana in MTG when Counterspell was being used in a good majority of blue decks in the past, whereas Cancel hasn't reached that prominence today.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 29, 2013

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Because essentially nothing can stop it unless your opponent also had a Solemn Judgement. There's no real counters for it, so it overcentralizes the metagame around it.

Mind you, I haven't really played YGO since XYZs were introduced, so I'm rusty with TCG knowledge.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I still think it's fair when whatever combo you lost has still contributed to the opponent losing half his life point and with a current setting of 2000 atk being the norm, you have a fair chance of finishing the left over LP of the opponent if you manage to survive the counter attack.

planetarial posted:

Because essentially nothing can stop it unless your opponent also had a Solemn Judgement. There's no real counters for it, so it overcentralizes the metagame around it.
Other counter trap card can counter it, and there's a few like dark bribe, malfunction, seven tool of bandit, etc. What's more, they still have to pay half their LP for it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nyaa posted:

Other counter trap card can counter it, and there's a few like dark bribe, malfunction, seven tool of bandit, etc. What's more, they still have to pay half their LP for it.

Thing is, the meta changed in a way that nobody (for some odd reason) was using that kind of traps competitively. The focus was into either stop the opponent summons or cripling their monsters' effects.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thing is, the meta changed in a way that nobody (for some odd reason) was using that kind of traps competitively.
Last I played, dark bribe was pretty common, but I agree, you would have to run a counter trap deck to even want to use most of those card.

They could had side deck those in tournament though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nyaa posted:

Last I played, dark bribe was pretty common, but I agree, you would have to run a counter trap deck to even want to use most of those card.

They could had side deck those in tournament though.

I'm not a tournament player but in my locals, the to-go card was Royal Decree. And since Heavy Storm is banned now I doubt that's gonna change soon.

• Locked thread