Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have a question for the people of this thread. I've been watching Vanguard, at first because I was interested in the card game but didn't understands the rules much and I had read that the anime was faithful to the card game (unlike, say, Yu-Gi-Oh!). Then I stuck with it because I found it actually fun in its simplicity, psychic powers aside.

Then episode 64 happened, and it was pretty lovely but overall I liked the resolution to the Aichi/Ren fight, all fine, the openings are still awesome and that's what matters and whatnot.

Now, I've read that Asia Circuit is...not good. For anyone that watches Vanguard (or watched or whatever), should I continue? Or do I just leave here? What should I picture in my mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xoidanor posted:

That's only true for the very first season of the first show. :stare:

What I meant was that cards have a totally different effect in the anime than they do in real life at times (if they're ever released in real life, that is), making the game look grossly unbalanced with incredibly overpowered cards coming left and right. My point definitely did come out as "YGO anime totally ignores every rule" in my last post though, so I'm sorry for that, totally my fault.

MechaCrash posted:

Season 2 hits a pretty rough patch when they do a bit with variant rules, like "rearguards drive check too" or "you don't get to pick where your attacks go," but once they do the second set of tag battles, the variant rules never return, and good riddance to them.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?! Really, I see some of the things added later (Limit Break, for instance) and they sound interesting, but this is just stupid. I'm glad you told me that's not continuing forever though, because holy poo poo that sounds stupid.

Well, considering what people have said, I guess I'll continue. I can tank bad parts anyways, I mean, I watched pre-Barians Zexal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So, I finished Link Joker, after going through Asia Circuit (definitely the lowest point of the series, although there was one moment in it I thought was amazing, Aichi summoning Blaster Blade Spirit) with the promise that it'd get better.

Holy poo poo was that the understatement of the year. Link Joker was amazing. I loved the use of Reverse to see the backstories and bonds of characters, I loved seeing Kourin as a main and how much more fleshed out she was, I loved Naoki, an awesome addition to the cast, and even more than everything else, I absolutely loved that last fight. It was perfect for me, I was scared of how it'd go, but overall I loved it. It was the perfect way of showing Aichi and Kai's growth, of showing everything that had happened to them, how it all started from a single card, and how Kai's way of seeing life was absolutely mistaken, but he was not lost forever.

This is probably the first time in my life I feel like this, but I'm actually sad the series continues from this point. That ending was absolutely perfect, not just for Link Joker, but for the entire series. It showed the characters at their zenith, and Kai taking over the narration at the end, and showing exactly how his thoughts changed thanks to Aichi, was amazing.

As weird as it is to say considering my appreciation for Link Joker and Vanguard as a whole, I'm glad I didn't give Vanguard a chance until now. Going through the entire series at once made everything feel fresh, so the last episode hit even harder because I could remember everything it referenced.

I swear, if I didn't live in a horrible third world country (and it wasn't 12 AM), I'd be running out of my house to buy a starter deck now. The series won me over, and the card game actually looks fun as hell. I haven't played a card game in years (fell off YGO due to no one of my friends playing it anymore, and the rules became too weird for me with Synchros, despite following the anime), but I think I could give this one a try. Or at the very least, I sure would love my own Blaster Blade card. It says a lot about the series that I actually grew fond of a card, not even a character, due to the sheer symbolism the series piled on it.

I thank everyone who answered my previous question of whether to continue or not, because I actually found another anime I'm enjoying. I'm definitely sticking for Legion Mate, but not starting today. Tomorrow, though, definitely (though as far as I see there's only two episodes out anyways).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 26, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish 5D's had gone like it was intended, with Crow not becoming a main character and Aki (probably) having a bigger role, but sigh, executive meddling!

Though I definitely agree the final battle was awesome. SSJ Yusei in space summoning a dragon all on the tune of the last opening was insane. I choose to forget Z-ONE's bullshit though, in my headcanon he will always be future Yusei because that's a lot less anticlimactic than the real thing.

Most I know about Zexal's ending is from the YGO wiki, since I can't understand Japanese so I just wait for the subs (as slow as they are, sigh), and those are only on the Don Thousand fight. Man I wish they were faster...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

I know that it's not as good as either season around it, but I really liked the Asia Circuit final battle. I liked the visual of Leon slowly getting more and more corrupted by Void, to the point where he can't use his arm anymore. (I think. I haven't seen that episode in months)

That's correct, Void does take over his arm. And I enjoyed the final battle too, especially the part where Aichi calls Blaster Blade Spirit (nearly made me cry, that was one strong scene). The problem is that it doesn't really make up for how meh the entire arc is. It also really annoyed me how the arc treated PSYqualia, only the final battle was really good about it (seeing Aichi remember he wasn't scared of it anymore was really neat). That said, it did bring goofy Ren and goofy Ren is amusing.

Also Aichi's deck just wasn't as cool as his previous one. Ezel just isn't that cool of an unit, especially in comparison to the other trump cards Aichi has used, like Gancelot (all the Gancelots), Garmore (who gets heavily ignored that season despite appearing in the opening, what the hell?) and Mecha-Alfred (Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred made me laugh so hard, why is he suddenly a mecha with a shoulder cannon? Did Aichi switch to Dimension Police and I didn't notice?).

It also kind of annoyed me how stupid Leon was. Sure dude, make a pact with the very same monster that sealed Aqua Force to get said Aqua Force back, even though you might be sacrificing not only three Clans but two entire worlds for it. Void will follow that pact, sure, definitely. Leon actually got a lot better for me in Link Joker, he works better as a hero than he did as a villain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I prefer a character that just stays out of battles entirely. Someone who only exists to lose is really boring because the audience will fully know every battle he has will have no meaning at all, since he's destined to lose. Unless it's played for comedy (Morikawa in Vanguard, for instance) it's a role that's not needed at all.

At least the cheerleaders can be useful for characterization even if they never enter a battle. Of course, if you aren't going to use them for even that, then why even bother? Just don't have those characters at all. I'm still asking myself what's the point of Takashi in Zexal, for example.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

I think that it's an issue either way. If a player exists only to watch and have everything explained, I find that more annoying than a player who just loses. It's why I like Vanguard. It seems like everyone plays the game in that one, and even the people who have a horrible win/loss ratio have excuses. (Kyou is a B+ in a league of As, Morikawa has awful deck design philosophy (he should play Dimension Police. Daikaiser would love his deck), Aichi is a newbie whose Win/Loss ratio improves as he gains experience).

Separately, I got the Dimensional Brave Kaiser deck. I have a Great Daiyusha in my card collection I'd been saving for this moment. Once I get a second one of these for the second Daikaiser and 2 more Daiyushas I'll have an almost 100% Dimensional Robo deck.

Yeah, this is something I really liked of Vanguard. In a series like YGO, you'd expect people like Izaki or Miwa to just never get into a card game, but the series makes it clear that they're both players, just aren't the center of the spotlight, and we do see them play. Hell, Miwa's pretty skilled for someone who doesn't play all that much (as he himself points out though, he is the person Kai trains with), and Izaki does attempt to get better after seeing how much Aichi improved and gives him one hell of a fight during the interschool tournament. And hell, even Morikawa is shown to be really skilled in a Cardfight, he's just awful at deck-building.

I think the only people we never see play are Aichi's mum and Shin, and we can guess that Shin can indeed play since he owns a card store and all. Even the student president and Suwabe get into the game, though I guess that doesn't matter at all now that everyone's forgotten Aichi.

As I said something I liked of Vanguard, I'll say something I don't. Can we just stop with the constant memory erasing already? By this point it's more hilarious than anything, people in this world have really fragile memories, don't they? And it's really annoying, for me at least, when the knowledge characters have don't match with the knowledge they should have, it ends up being really confusing. I was basically screaming during Asia Circuit every time PSYqualia came up because everyone had forgotten about it and Aichi's fear-but-do-nothing attitude was really stupid from the same guy who accepted PSYqualia and the part of him that wanted it in the fight against Ren. One thing I loved of Aichi VS Leon was that Aichi finally faced PSYqualia like he should have from the get-go, using it but not getting corrupted by it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, it's a magic? Not a monster? How odd, though I guess Timaeus wasn't much of a monster in the anime either, so it's acceptable, if weird.

What's even weirder is that it's always treated as "Legendary Dragon Timaeus", which isn't an actually existing card at all, nor changes anything as far as I know in its interaction with other cards. I can't imagine what this clause is for, but I doubt it's pointless.

The most interesting part of this though, is that it targets a "Dark Magician". Not Dark Magician Girl, just the less specific "Dark Magician". I guess we're getting Amulet Dragon too, not only Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight (god that's a long name), and that's awesome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The more you talk, the more I want this to be subbed already. The opening alone was weird as hell, so I can only imagine how wonderful the series itself must be.

I hope someone subs it, I want to watch this insanity.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't even play YGO anymore and this is becoming my new favourite thing just because of how many cards we're getting that were never released before and I never thought would be actually released. It's so great.

Sure, no one works even remotely like they did in the anime, but this is normal for this series. It's still some great fanservice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If there's anyone here who's doubting whether to watch Vanguard or not,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEA1HEw8uFo

The answer is yes. For context, this comes from the worst part of the series (admittedly, it is not in any way representative of Asia Circuit as a whole, this is just the light in the darkness of that arc). This is the video that made me think "man, I need to watch this Vanguard thing", and I do not regret it at all. Sadly Mitsusada is not a main character, but I would watch the hell out of a spinoff focused entirely on him.

C'mon Bushiroad, do it. Mitsusada spinoff, Dimensional Robo Vanguard. Everyone would watch it!

In other Vanguard related news, is it bad that I felt really happy Kai got his rear end kicked this week? I really enjoy when he loses, considering his insane win-loss record for this series. I mean, burning him to unconciousness was probably a bit too much, but still! Gaillard is cool, I want to learn more about him and why he thinks of himself as Aichi's successor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. I don't play YGO anymore and all of these changes since 5D's confuse the hell out of me, despite watching every single anime, and even I get how good that kind of effect is. I'm surprised it has no other clauses, like "their effects are negated" or "they are destroyed at the end of your turn".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Celestial Sword - Eatos always being treated as a Noble Arms card is not as weird as it sounds. Its original name was "Holy Sword of the Goddess - Eatos", which includes "Holy Sword", the Japanese name of the Noble Arms. YGO wiki actually pointed that out as trivia, that, if it was released in real life, it'd count as a Noble Arms, guess they were right.

Dread scythe is Reaper Scythe - Dreadscythe, the equip card linked to Guardian Dreadscythe. Unsurprising that both are released together, though Celestial Sword - Eatos was a rather impressive surprise.

Also finally we get to know what Gate Blocker would do, I was interested since its original effect (opponent can't gain counters from Speed World) is impossible in real life. Negating field and counters is actually really clever, as close as you can get to the anime effect. I wonder if Gate Blocker 2 will be in this set as well...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So they're releasing Legend of Heart...in a completely useless state, as it requires three Legendary Dragon spells, but only Timaeus is in this set. Basically confirms Critias and Hermos are getting released later, though.

Also I seriously want to know Chaos Chimera Dragon's effect. In the anime, it was summoned through Admire Death Thousand, so we never get to see its original state (the anime lore says its "Death Chimera Dragon", but it's not shown). It'd be nice to see if Death Chimera Dragon is getting released in reality as well or this will be the one Number without a non-Chaos form.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess that means we're never seeing Death Chimera Dragon and the Numbers archetype will never be really complete. A shame, but an expected one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just dropped by to say that Mitsusada is objectively the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ06ryrTR_s (spoilers for the latest episode)

I'm still waiting for my Mitsusada spinoff show, Bushiroad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was said in the previous season (when Mitsusada was reversed), Great Daiyusha is his most important card. Remember Yuri's reaction to Mitsusada changing Great Daiyusha for "Reverse" Daiyusha, it made it look like Aichi removing Blaster Blade or Ren removing Blaster Dark from their decks.

It's likely he kept Great Daiyusha less for strategy and more because Great Daiyusha is his avatar. That said...I can only wonder just how many Grade 3s he's using. Something tells me that he's becoming Morikawa.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess that confirms that his Blaster Blade Seeker just magically changed artworks, instead of having a BBS of each artwork (Wingal Legion and SSD Legion).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd say it's pretty clear that Ren lost on purpouse. When he looks at his hand, you can very clearly see he has enough Shield to survive the round (as you pointed out), this is after Ishida's words, Ren already said he wanted to test Kai's friendship, not his power (which Ren fully knows already), and even more than that, it's clear Ren is a better player than Kai, and this is something the series has always kept as truth (apart from season 2, where Ren was suddenly weaker than Kai, probably due to the whole memory-loss thing).

Not only that, Ren seems to not care much about losing, because he already got what he wanted. Again, his goal was not winning, it was testing Kai, and Kai definitely passed said test.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well yeah, Link Joker was all about Kai realizing he was lagging behind Aichi and Ren, then he went evil and became incredibly good, even surpassing both said characters.

Then he went good again, and we all know what happens when an evil character becomes good, sudden loss of competence. Plus he was promoted (demoted?) from rival to main character, and this is Vanguard, so that meant an increase in loss ratio. Gaillard was somewhat expectable, Kamui surprised the hell out of me, and he definitely deserved the loss against Ren (but Ren was always better than him, so this isn't completely loss of competence, it's just that Ren is basically the best).

Still, it could be far worse. He could be Miwa. At least he only lost on-screen, Miwa didn't even get the chance to show himself losing. I honestly fear for him, he's actually done less in this arc than usual, and he's (supposedly) a main now. We have the Quatre Knights, but five heroes, and he's the only one without any sort of rivalry (he lost against Sera, but Sera is clearly concerned only with Kamui). Even moreso, he's the only one of the five without a Legion in the opening, and there's no Kagero Legion yet even in the proper card game (there's technically no Gold Paladin one either, but Percival is shown in the opening performing one, so...).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, Arc-V keeps being enjoyable. I'm actually interested in who the hell Unknown is, and Sawatari's hilarious.

Also, I find it really drat funny how they talk up Xyz Summoning as this super-hard course only elites take...and a dumbass like Yuma could do it with no problems whatsoever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SystemLogoff posted:

Man, I stopped playing the card game ages ago, but Arc-V keeps on making me smile. Watching him pull out all the bullshit, and the game having comedy and action during the duels really helps.

I feel the same. I stopped playing the card game once it stopped being a fad (so before the 5D's era), but I still followed the anime and I can't say I regret it. 5D's was awesome, and I'm enjoying the hell out of Arc-V. It's so silly, but in a fun and actually well-written way. It's silly because it wants to be, everything is flashy as hell and it's entirely possible to understand just why. Yuya is really enjoyable as a lead, too.

Also I watched the last ep of Zexal yesterday. The ending of a series should not have so many off-model moments. I wish I could comment on the episode itself before pointing this out but holy poo poo did they really have no budget for the last episode?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't want to say Legion Mate hasn't been interesting, because by all means the plot itself has been somewhat good, and it's nice to have villains that aren't :moreevil: for once in the series, even moreso with Kourin with them, but holy poo poo can the heroes win for once? It's becoming kind of annoying, I tend to zone out on the actual cardfights apart from whatever new phrase is thrown around because I already fully know how it'll end. Every fight against the Quatre Knights and Kourin has ended in defeat. C'mon, just one little victory, so that we might even wonder how things will end?

That said, I have to seriously wonder how the hell Kourin got Link Joker back. I know it is to sell that brand-new Will of the Locked Dragon trial deck in reality, but I have to wonder where Kourin got a deck that by all means should not exist anymore since Reverse Takuto was defeated. Even moreso, how she's using Link Joker without being Reversed again, and how she can not Reverse people that lose against her. The series seems to be contradicting itself fiercely just to justify product placement, not a good thing, even when I like that Kourin would go as far as using Link Joker to protect Aichi.

Also I have to seriously wonder what Kai's doing now that he doesn't have Blaster Blade Seeker. Both of his Legions depended on him, so now his deck is effectively defanged, relying on two Legion units without mates. The more obvious answer would be that he merely gets a new trump card, perhaps Seeker Ezel or Seeker Garmore (neither of which would make any sort of sense with what the Seekers are, but hey, non-Reverse Link Joker...), though I kind of would love it if it makes him go back to Kagero, after all we have no main character using it (Miwa why do you appear in the opening)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, Gongenzaka? I expected Sora. I wonder how they're justifying a person who isn't a part of You Show Duel School taking place in a duel for students of You Show Duel School, and even moreso how he's convincing Sora to let him fight instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

So he's totally Kaiba. Well there are three Kaiba Clones in GX. (although all three of them really do distinguish themselves beyond this) Is Kaiba Clone like a Char Clone for the Gundam series? Is there a Kaiba in every Yugioh series? I'll have a Kaiba to look forward to in 5D's and ZEXAL and ARC-V? (whenever it's dubbed)

It's not a YGO series without a Kaiba clone. 5D's has a super-hammy one in the form of Jack, ZeXal has the most obvious clone in Kaito (Little brother he fights for? Check. Rival? Check. White coat? Check. 3000/2500 dragon with a name like "X Eyes X Dragon", that then turns into a three-headed version of the same? Check). Arc-V hasn't shown a Kaiba yet, though Reiji will blatantly be one in due time (no 3000/2500 dragon revealed yet though).

Perhaps what I find most interesting is that since GX usually the Kaiba character tends to have a good enough relationship with the hero, once they get past their initial hate for each other. In GX, Manjoume and Judai are obviously close, despite the former's insistance in this not being the case; in 5D's Yusei and Jack are best friends, in ZeXal Kaito forms part of the power trio of ZeXal II alongside Shark and Yuma. Contrast with the original Kaiba, who, while getting sort of more friendly with the twerps (because you can't really get less friendly than trying to murder them all in the name of petty revenge), he's still nowhere near their friend.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm sorry to distract from evil card-stealing action, especially with another franchise, but...

We seem to be hitting the second part of Legion Mate. With Naoki getting a new Legion in Big Bang Knuckle Buster/Slash Buster (who have an interesting effect but overall don't change much aesthetically, which is kind of boring), Kamui probably getting a new one as well (having gone through the same training as Naoki), Kai definitely getting a new one soon (probably next episode, considering it is Kai's Will and all), that only leaves Misaki (who might go back to Oracle Think Tank, considering there's that new CEO Amaterasu Legion that would fit her perfectly, or she might get an all-new one), and most importantly, this loving beautiful new opening. I honestly can't wait, while Legion Mate hasn't been as good as Link Joker and it suffers from rather incompetent heroes and a conflict that could probably be solved by people just talking, it still has lots of potential and I really want to see where this goes, even moreso since apparently there's already confirmation that Aichi's entering the field with Link Joker, the first time he's playing a non-United Sanctuary deck (and Link Joker, of all things), and I seriously wonder what he's fielding for Legion (with high hopes for a Link Joker Blaster Blade)

And yet, I have to ask Bushiroad for our fifth main. Miwa, what the hell are you doing? Apart from nothing, I mean. He even skipped the chance of doing something this episode! C'mon, there's a new Kagero Legion coming out, it's the time to make yourself the main character the opening says you are!

To end this weird rant, Leon is still great and I'm not surprised at all he didn't forget, being Leon and all. He even got a cool Aqua Force Legion (not like I expected otherwise), though I seriously wish it had used a new version of Maelstrom instead of Tetra Drive Dragon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The man Gongenzaka proved how much of a badass he is. Steadfast Dueling, hell yes. Even made that smug prick Sora lose his constant smile, that's how much of a man Gongenzaka is.

Also pissed-off Yuya is still great. And nezt episode, Yugi vs Kaiba!...err I mean, Yuya vs Reiji!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly it only goes down from here. 5D's' Dark Signers arc is great, my favourite YGO arc ever, but it really should've ended there, what comes later is nowhere near as a good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As someone who watches the anime and kind of wants to play the card game, but happens to live in a poo poo third world country, is there any way to check if Vanguard cards are sold in my country? I've checked stores online, but none seem to sell them at all, I've found a few cards on MercadoLibre (our eBay), but nothing more, and no cards I particularly cared about (apparently people here just really like selling Link Joker, I think my country is Reversed)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Holy poo poo today's Vanguard episode. Holy poo poo. It's the first time in a long while (see: the entire Legion Mate arc) that I actually leave an episode surprised in a good way. I expected it to be just another boring episode: Naoki fights Cera, loses (as usual), Judgement, next ep. Instead Naoki showed why he's the best character, managed to actually survive the entire episode, and we had more manly awesomeness from him. Even Miwa got to look cool too, even if in a hilarious way! Maybe we'll get good writing for once, and Naoki will even beat Cera (though then there's the question as to why they set up Kamui as Cera's rival before...)

The only thing I cared about in this ep before watching it was if we were getting the new opening and ending, and we did, and holy poo poo are they incredible. The new opening is just INTENSE. That shading work, the constant movement, Miwa's Legion! Confirmed Prominence Core as Gaillard's new trump card too (though this was really easy to see coming anyways, it's likely a Crossride of Percival just like Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Buster is one of Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Dragon). If I wasn't really poor and without any sort of credit or debit card, my first avatar ever in SA would be either Miwa grinning from the very beginning of the opening or Kai charging towards the new Link Joker Legion. Probably my favourite opening animation, even if the song is nowhere as good as Break your spell or Believe in my existance.

And the ending is just really depressing. I like how Aichi-centric it is, but the situation is really sad and the ending just hammers the point home. Really well done, one of the few Vanguard endings I can say I honestly like, both in animation and, to a lesser extent, the song itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh hey, we're finally seeing Miwa fight!

Oh...they just skipped most of the fight. How annoying.

Oh he went and lost horribly. I think I've seen main characters in Bleach with more importance than this.

I miss Asia Circuit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That got me checking the Next Challengers cards, and I'm honestly surprised that Future Hope will actually be a thing, I was entirely sure he'd never leave the anime considering his very existance breaks the rules of Xyz monsters. And yet, here he is, in all his Rank 0 glory (though he must always be treated as a Rank 1 which is boring). The Door of Destiny and Kattobingu Challenge too, though those didn't seem so impossible in the first place.

Now Konami, where's my Rank 13 monsters? You clearly don't care about making internal sense anymore (or since...ever...), so you might as well go the whole way in.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Does anyone follow the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal manga? I've been reading the summaries on YGO wiki and...holy poo poo, it sounds really stupid. As in, stupid to the point of being unfun, not the usual stupid but fun of YGO.

In fact I know very little about the card games manga in general. I read the first part of the YGO manga (the one that didn't have to do with card games), and a few chapters of the actual card games part but the scans online got completely unreadable and it's not sold in my country, much to my annoyance. I also read a bit of the GX manga but not completely, though it looks decent. I read like two chapters of the 5D's manga but the plot of that one also looks...unique.
On the other card game series, I know Vanguard has a manga and it seems to stick close to the anime, but other than that I know very little about it. Apparently it skipped Asia Circuit, which can only be a good thing. I hope it skips Legion Mate too, because I am not enjoying this arc in the least bit. Also apparently it had a prequel thing, that seems that it'll be canon to the anime as well as the antagonist of it is the main antagonist of the movie and Kai used Royal Paladin in the past like in that one manga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Is anyone else still watching Arc-V? It's been really drat solid so far. It's a nice improvement from the early episodes of Zexal, definitely.

Arc-V is the card game anime of the season. Far better than Zexal's beginning and middle (though Zexal got actually good later on, we'll see if Arc-V keeps the quality up, though I sure hope so), and definitely better than Vanguard Legion Mate (which I really hope pulls an Asia Circuit and delivers a good ending, at least)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. I thought the fights until now had been bad, but Gaillard vs Kamui was a whole new level of awful. I don't even know if I can call it a fight, considering how little it lasted. That said, I always enjoy a good "FINAL TURN!"...just wish that I could enjoy an actual fight for once.

At least Kai vs Gaillard started well and should continue as such, right?...right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kay Kessler posted:

Don't worry. They fix that as soon as Vector gets properly introduced. :allears:

Then again, lots of things get fixed the moment Vector gets properly introduced. Seriously, I'm no ZeXal defender but the Barian Emperors arc is really, really good.

Sadly you have to go through a lot of poo poo to get there, and I'm not sure if I can say it's worth it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This week's Arc-V...sure had a lot of food, yup. Wouldn't be out of place in Toriko. I can get behind that.

Also the funniest moment, I'm guessing, came from the fansubbers and not the episode itself, but it had me laughing way too hard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm also really enjoying how meta the show is getting, with all the references to the previous shows and even with the fact that theres more than one character with the yu-prefix.

I found this really interesting, actually. Instead of only the main character, we have four characters with the "Yu" prefix: Yuya, Yuzu, "The Dark Duelist" Yuto and "The White Rider" Yugo. What do they all have in common? They all focus on one of the advanced, Extra Deck-reliant summon types: Yuya with Pendulum, Yuto with Xyz, Yugo we can guess with Synchro being a Riding Duelist. Yuzu herself is learning Fusion, thus completing every summon type.

Even moreso, the series is blatantly referencing things from the series where those styles were most important: Yuto is from Heartland (a very destroyed Heartland), and Yugo is not only form what seems to be a ruined future, but is also a Riding Duelist, both things critical to 5D's. Yuzu herself goes to a Duel School, just like GX (if far less important, since LDS seems to be far closer to Duel Academia). Yuya is...the main character from the Pendulum-focused series, of course.

Also can I say I really, really like Reiji? Like, I usually like the rival characters, but Reiji's rather unique even amongst them because he's...you know, a proper good and moral person who shows actual respect to people and doesn't flaunt his position of power. He's also a total badass, using all four Extra Deck summons like that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Makes me wonder if we will see a Ritual player down the line.

If YGO Wiki is not lying (and it has lied a lot in the past), then Yuya's third match will be against a Flip and Ritual user. I wouldn't trust this 100% yet, but I sure hope it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He was Yugi's classmate, so he can't be older than Yugi and the rest. Not like we see him much in class, anyways.

Also I'll believe the business ethic thing the moment I see Reiji create a theme park exclusively for the purpouses of torturing/murdering everyone.

• Locked thread