Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Wazzit posted:

If you were to have someone listen to Terrible Love for the first time which version would you give them?

I really like the alternate version but there was something about the album version that got me hooked.

I'd go with the Pitchfork TV performace myself.

(Granted, I'd have them fast-forward a minute into the video, because goddammit)

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Add "Don't Swallow the Cap" to the OP, OP.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

OPed.

That's another good one; 2/2 so far

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

So rushing and dancy. I love how it sounds. I tend to get nervous the more albums a band puts out that they'll put out something I hate, but that nervousness has officially lifted for this album.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

omg omg omg I did not see this coming!!! This is Another Good Song, I am satisfied

Also for anyone who cares: Stereogum ranked their 10 best songs, and you disagree with it

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

man I LOVE "Don't Swallow the Cap"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm a big Alligator and Boxer fan, but High Violet just doesn't get as many spins for me. I'm loving the new singles and pumped for the new album.

Sadly not touring anywhere near me. :(

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Don't suppose anyone recognizes the female voice in the chorus...

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Could be anyone of these as far as I can tell.

"There are some great guest vocalists that did really awesome parts: [St. Vincent] Annie Clark, Sharon Van Etten, and Nona Marie Invie, from the band Dark Dark Dark."

Someone in the youtube comments is saying its Annie Clark but I can' hear it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sounds like Annie to me, certainly not Sharon though her voice is way different.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So we've heard 8 of the 13 songs and there's not a mediocre one in the bunch.

Pretty safe to say this will be another great album.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

uublog posted:

omg omg omg I did not see this coming!!! This is Another Good Song, I am satisfied

Also for anyone who cares: Stereogum ranked their 10 best songs, and you disagree with it

gently caress yes I do. I loved High Violet, but why not just write a paean to that one album and save yourself the embarrassment?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't know anyone could be so wrong about which National songs are good. I know different tastes and all that, but to not include any of the following: "Abel", "Ada", "Apartment Story", "Start a War", "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks"... none of them? Jeez.

I've never really liked Stereogum anyway, though.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
There's a guy on Twitter who just started listening to them last night telling him about his experiences. He's already gone through Boxer and Alligator three times each. This is the :3:-est. I'm sort of really jealous of him to get to enjoy this all for the first time.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I'm hooked on Don't Swallow the Cap. I need this album to leak right now, I need to consume all of it. I actually wasn't even that crazy about Demons at first but now that's growing on me really quickly. If these two are any indication, this is going to be an amazing album on lyrics alone.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

I didn't know anyone could be so wrong about which National songs are good. I know different tastes and all that, but to not include any of the following: "Abel", "Ada", "Apartment Story", "Start a War", "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks"... none of them? Jeez.

I've never really liked Stereogum anyway, though.

Yeah, that's a pretty...odd....list, although I can understand the case for Bloodbuzz Ohio being number 1, I guess.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I understand a lot of that list (Conversation 16, Mr November, Fake Empire, maybe Green Gloves and Lemonworld), but only one from the older albums and Rylan? There re a butt-ton of good songs that have been released that they could've chosen from.

One of my favorite songs that doesn't get much recognition because it's off of their first album is Theory of the Crows. The lyrics are great: "I'll suck off investors / I'll suck off VCs / I'm losing my posture from time on my knees" "And if I forget you / I'll have nobody left to forget / I guess that's what assholes get" Great waltz beat, also, with the drum on 1 and the guitars playing 2 and 3.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

This song is incredible and this album is already at 10/10 for me.

No
Sep 13, 2006

The National is one of those bands I find difficult to listen to because they're so emotionally evocative, so I usually skip them when they come on. I'm really excited for this release and the singles sound amazing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I look forward to being baffled by more clandestine lyrics. I've only listened to one of the songs released so far, I kind of want to have an unspoilt first listen all the way through.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Can anyone tell me what is the first line of "Don't Swallow the Cap"?

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

"Don't Swallow The Cap"

Pull out breaks behind the houses
I don't see what's strange about this.
Tiny bubbles hang above me.
It's a sign that someone loves me.
I can hardly stand upright
Hit my head up on the light
I have faith but don't believe you
This love ain't enough to leave you.

Everything I love is on the table.
Everything I love is out to sea.

I have only two emotions,
Careful fear and dead devotion.
I can't get the balance right.
Throw my marbles in the fight.
I see all the ones I wept for
All the things I had it in for
I won't cry until I hear
Cause I was not supposed to be here.

Everything I love is on the table.
Everything I love is out to sea.
I'm not alone,
I'll never be.
Into the bone,
I'll never grieve.

I'm tired, I'm freezing, I'm dumb
When it gets so late I forget everyone.
I need somewhere to stay.
Don't think anybody I know is awake.
Calm down, it's alright,
Keep my arms the rest of the night.
When they ask what do I see,
I see a bright white beautiful heaven hangin' over me.

I'm not alone,
I'll never be.
Into the bone,
I'll never grieve.
And if you want, (too seriously)
To see me cry. (don't swallow the cap)
Play "Let It Be" (pat yourself on the back)
Or "Nevermind". (too seriously)

There's a time to leave, there's a time to think about
What I wanna say to the girls at the door.
I need somewhere to be
But I can't get around the river in front of me.
Come down, it's alright,
Lead my arms the rest of the night.
When they ask what do I see,
I see a bright white beautiful heaven hangin' over me.

I'm not alone, (too seriously)
I'll never be. (don't swallow the cap)
Into the bone, (pat yourself on the back)
I'll never grieve (too seriously)
And if you want, (too seriously)
To see me cry, (don't swallow the cap)
Play "Let It Be" (pat yourself on the back)
Or "Nevermind". (too seriously)

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

is "Nevermind" supposed to be the Nirvana album or what

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Really looking forward to seeing these chaps at Lolla, really pumped about this album too. I have never pre-ordered an album before today.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm thoroughly convinced that The National is the most "meaningful" band that I listen to. I like a lot of good artists and all, but The National feels like genuine adult band, almost as if you'd be considered crazy for not appreciating them. I don't know what it is that gives them such a weird status in my mind, but something strikes me about them that makes the band objectively stand out as meaningful, relevant and extremely, extremely good.

Has anyone seen the documentary that the singer's brother made? I'm hearing a lot of good things, even if it's only tangentially related to The National's music.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

cloudline posted:

I'm thoroughly convinced that The National is the most "meaningful" band that I listen to. I like a lot of good artists and all, but The National feels like genuine adult band, almost as if you'd be considered crazy for not appreciating them. I don't know what it is that gives them such a weird status in my mind, but something strikes me about them that makes the band objectively stand out as meaningful, relevant and extremely, extremely good.

Has anyone seen the documentary that the singer's brother made? I'm hearing a lot of good things, even if it's only tangentially related to The National's music.

Has the documentary even come out? I thought they just released the trailer only a couple of days ago.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Pookdaddy G posted:

Has the documentary even come out? I thought they just released the trailer only a couple of days ago.

It was played at the opening night of the TriBeCa festival to pretty positive reviews.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

cloudline posted:

I'm thoroughly convinced that The National is the most "meaningful" band that I listen to. I like a lot of good artists and all, but The National feels like genuine adult band, almost as if you'd be considered crazy for not appreciating them.

I like some of their stuff too, but that doesn't mean that the people who aren't interested in them are some kind of crazy dullards who just don't get it. It's just taste.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Pitchfork posted:

Good news for anyone who loves the National and has a solid six hours to kill: The band are taking part in a show at MoMA PS1 in New York, in which they will perform a six hour-long rendition of their song "Sorrow" from High Violet. Yes, they will be performing the same song for six hours straight.

http://pitchfork.com/news/50467-the-national-to-perform-one-song-over-and-over-for-six-hours-straight-at-moma-ps1-performance/

Not sure how long my ADHD could stand it, but I would at least try to last the 6 hours. Love that tune.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I'm gonna try and swing by for a bit to see what they do with it.

Also, they're playing a new song on Fallon tomorrow (Thursday) night. I don't believe it's one of the two singles.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

http://pitchfork.com/news/50467-the-national-to-perform-one-song-over-and-over-for-six-hours-straight-at-moma-ps1-performance/

Not sure how long my ADHD could stand it, but I would at least try to last the 6 hours. Love that tune.

That's more or less a hundred times. I'm pretty sure I haven't listened to any song as many times.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Sea of Love" and "I Need My Girl" on Fallon last night:

http://pitchfork.com/news/50478-watch-the-national-perform-two-new-songs-on-fallon/

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh so that's where the album title comes from. This is really really good. H/T people on tumblr for already having transcribed a guess at the lyrics:

Well you say you love me, Joan
How am I supposed to know?
When you go under the waves
What am I supposed to say?

I see people on the floor
They’re sliding to the sea
Can’t stay here anymore
We’re turning into things

If I stay here trouble will find me
If I stay here I’ll never leave
If I stay here trouble will find me, I believe

Joan, I’ll always think of you
As a kind of child who knew
This was never gonna last
Oh Joan, you fell so fast

Hey Joan, sorry I hurt you but
They say love is a virtue, don’t play (x4)

I see people on the floor
They’re sliding to the sea
Can’t stay here anymore
We’re turning into things

I see you rushing down
Tell me how to reach you
I see you rushing down
What did mama teach you? (x4)

I also finally relented and bought the deluxe edition because it exists, and the record player I thought was in storage might actually be in my garage. Not like I'll find it either way, but at least it's closer

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
Seas of Love is fantastic, but I Need My Girl is stunningly beautiful and easily my favorite so far. That very unique use of the guitar was amazing.

Earlier, someone said 2 for 2. Well this is easily 4 for 4 now. Flawless.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I Need My Girl has done some serious growing up since its Studio Q performance. I like it far more now than I did a year and change ago.

Elderling
Feb 17, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

I had nothing better to do so I went early with a friend, always wondered what it felt like to be one of the first in line, and now I know it's kind of cool. I was there for the beginning and the end, had to take a couple of breaks in between. Sorrow still isn't one of my favorite songs of theirs, but I've been listening to recordings of the 6-hour session since I got home, it was mesmerizing. From a certain perspective, the finest performance of a song I can think of. The sorrow metaphor works very well too, the show was cheerful in an irony-free way.

And, holy poo poo I love what the lead guitarist was doing.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Anyone going to see them at Boston Calling on may 26th? I'll be there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
From my Facebook feed:

The National posted:

We're dropping by Reddit for an AMA on Wednesday May 8, at 11:00am. If you have a question you've always wanted to ask us, here's your chance!

caldrax posted:

Anyone going to see them at Boston Calling on may 26th? I'll be there.

I thought about it, but at the time I couldn't justify spending $70 if I wasn't sure they'd play a full set. The National were the only band in the lineup that I was really interested in seeing and I've already seen them in concert twice, so...

Now I'm kinda regretting it since I'd love to hear the stuff from Trouble live. No way I'm paying ~$200 for a VIP pass though. I did get to hear "I Need my Girl" last year when I saw them play the Beacon in NY.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Sea of Love music video. This is the best song released so far, studio or otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWmRbHDhGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Sea of Love music video. This is the best song released so far, studio or otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWmRbHDhGw

That kid is seriously so cool

• Locked thread