Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Wazzit posted:

Official video for Graceless. It's brilliant. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpz_gUyImhw

I was just about to come post this! It's so much fun to see the band just goofing around for 5 minutes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Wazzit posted:

Official video for Graceless. It's brilliant. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpz_gUyImhw

This seems like they just gave the band a bunch of beers and filmed it :3:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Saw their show in Portland last week; everyone's already talked about how good their live shows are, but it was absolutely pouring rain for the entire show and I think it added something special. Frightened Rabbit was really good as an opening act, too!

Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks:

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

http://pitchfork.com/news/53373-watch-the-national-and-gregg-allman-sing-silver-bells-on-the-colbert-report/

pitchfork posted:

This week is "Christmas Carol Week" on "The Colbert Report", which finds Stephen Colbert doing a Christmas carol with a special guest each night. To kick things off, Colbert joined the National and Gregg Allman for a rendition of "Silver Bells" last night.

I cant watch it because I am in Canada, and my vpn is acting goofy, but figured some of you might be interested.

On a side note after nagging my buddy at work for years to to listen to this band he finally picked up Trouble Will Find Me after hearing Don't Swallow the Cap on the new indy station in toronto a million times. Now he feels stupid for not going to the free NXNE show they did. I told him he would live to regret that day when he said he didn't want to go.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It was pretty cool :) Matt, Gregg and Stephen each did a verse and they all harmonized the chorus.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sweeroy posted:

This seems like they just gave the band a bunch of beers and filmed it :3:

Can't lose with the "Steal My Sunshine" strategy.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

http://pitchfork.com/news/53661-the-national-announce-north-american-tour/

Well I am for sure gonna go to at least 2 of these toronto dates

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Expect an additional leg (June for NYC etc.) announcement fairly soon, too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw man, they aren't coming here. Closest they're coming is Austin for ACL. Hopefully they announce more dates because I've been listening to Trouble Will Find Me on repeat the past couple days and would love to see them live because I've never seen them before (aside from a festival webcast).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm still so psyched that they're gonna be playing Berlin when I'm gonna be there this summer.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
drat, saw them this past summer in Montreal, but might have to travel to TO to see them and Daughter.

That Berkeley show is gonna be something amazing too.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

kalensc posted:

drat, saw them this past summer in Montreal, but might have to travel to TO to see them and Daughter.

That Berkeley show is gonna be something amazing too.

Spent an hour today fighting with the massey hall website, but I got decent tickets for friday, and terrible ones for thursday (girlfriend actually prefers the very back of massey hall)

15 dollar service fee on each ticket though, and I thought ticket master was terrible...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They performed I Need My Girl and Don't Swallow The Cap on the CBS morning news show, along with doing a mini interview, which you can watch here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oh man "I Need My Girl" is just such a pretty song. I love the "banging the guitar on the ground" effect.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

Oh man "I Need My Girl" is just such a pretty song. I love the "banging the guitar on the ground" effect.
I was wondering what the hell he was doing with that other guitar, then I realized it and couldn't stop grinning.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

That's weird, Scott is not in those videos. :confused:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
So hugely excited for their melbourne show, is anyone else here going to their australian shows?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fats posted:

Saw their show in Portland last week; everyone's already talked about how good their live shows are, but it was absolutely pouring rain for the entire show and I think it added something special. Frightened Rabbit was really good as an opening act, too!

Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks:

I swear this is my favourite moment of a show by those guys. That song with all of us singing along is just magical and I can't wait to do it again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sweeroy posted:

So hugely excited for their melbourne show, is anyone else here going to their australian shows?

I have plans to go to the Adelaide show but I haven't y'know, bought tickets or anything.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 29, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

I swear this is my favourite moment of a show by those guys. That song with all of us singing along is just magical and I can't wait to do it again.

Same! It'll be fun to see if the singing along has a noticeable accent since I'll be going to a show in Germany this time. Although Germans' English is typically really good so maybe not!

dinosaurtrauma
Aug 13, 2006
why is my dinosaur so traumatic?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was wondering what the hell he was doing with that other guitar, then I realized it and couldn't stop grinning.

I still do not realize, mind explaining?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

dinosaurtrauma posted:

I still do not realize, mind explaining?

Hitting the guitar on the floor causing all the strings to ring out.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I finally listened to this album. It's pretty good in my humble opinion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sweeroy posted:

Boom. I had Mr Novemeber turn up on my spotify playlist and then my phone called the ticket place and my credit card was in my hand I have no idea what happened :shrug:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

They're never going to have a New Zealand show. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anticheese posted:

They're never going to have a New Zealand show. :(

I hope you don't live in Auckland...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Fuuuuuuuck. I live within driving distance of Auckland, and I checked their tour list when I first found out about them late last year.

:(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wazzit posted:

That's weird, Scott is not in those videos. :confused:

At the show tonight they announced Scott has just had another baby. Well his wife. You know what I mean. Had a fill in bass player.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

If anyone is awake at 4 a.m. Eastern on Saturday the 8th (tomorrow), there will be a YouTube live stream of The National's performance at the Sydney Opera House - http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/whatson/the_national_2014_live_stream.aspx

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/liveatthehouse

Starts in 15

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

So hugely excited for this, I'm going to see them tomorrow and I'm still watching this

Dancin Fool
Mar 4, 2009
Tuning in to this. Anyone else see them last night in Sydney?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
This intro is a goddamn wank, shut up and show the band already!

I hate your face lindsay mcdougall

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Will a recording of the show/stream be available anywhere?

Edit: Jesus, they're heavy on the filler. I dunno if I'd use Bloodbuzz Ohio for montage music.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 8, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Lindsay "Shut the gently caress up" McDougal

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Its pretty cool how they're giving a bit of a different spin on their old favourites. I can't stand the studio version of Mister November, but the live one from another show is much better.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
That was easily the best version of Conversation 16 they've ever done

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm not too sure about this version of Abel, though.

E: This is a p. chill redition of Apartment Story

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 8, 2014

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Full set of the Sydney show is now on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qS7hKoOR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Full set of the Sydney show is now on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qS7hKoOR4

Don't goddamn clap during Fake Empire!!!

:lol:

edit: I kinda like it even more that it's slightly janky and pushing the beat.

double edit: my partner pointed this out to me

quote:

Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave know best. Although I wear a lot of jeans, I've been told that Nick Cave doesn't own a pair and wouldn't be caught dead in denim. The thing is, I think Leonard Cohen was Nick Cave's style hero too. I'm the third generation.

Second opinions can vary. I passed Leonard Cohen between two tents at a festival in Barcelona and he complimented my hat. Those were the only words he said to me: "Nice hat", so that was a big moment for me. In reality though, it was a stupid looking hat. It was a fedora that I bought in Lisbon. You know when you go on vacation, you buy something you think you'll be able to pull off back home? Like when you go to Paris and you come back trying to pull off the beret? It was that kind of thing. So I bought this black fedora in Lisbon, I wore it for a few days. Leonard Cohen says, "Nice hat." Then I get home, my wife sees it, and says, "You look like an idiot." I think Leonard thought that too but he just felt sorry for me.

Sometimes you have to wear what you want. My glasses are Menrads by Selima Optique*. I got clear frames, and I then noticed a lot of older men wear these. Maybe I should get something hipper. My wife is not crazy about them. She has her opinions and she's usually very forgiving of my fashion choices but my glasses and fedora were not to her liking. I had to give up the hat, but I'm sticking with the glasses.

If you get up on stage, prepare to take a beating. I actually used to wear shin guards underneath my suit because I would go off the stage and climb over the railings so often that I would kill my shins. I've stopped now because I felt like an idiot wearing shin guards on stage, now I just take the beating. If I'm gonna go jumping off stage I deserve to be beat up a little bit.

* $360 sunglasses. :feelsgood:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread