Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Frankly my dear, usura-Tonkachi*

*Translator's Note: This is a play on that famous and iconic line. You all know the one *wink wink, nudge nudge* Here it is used as a phrase that could have a good meaning but also, paradoxically, a bad meaning. Other adjectives that can be (but might not be) applied to this phrase are: "sleepy", "rambunctious", and "orange-colored".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tbp posted:

Did the 9 tails die?

No, he's basically in a coma. The beasts are immortal, unless someone with the power of the Sage/Kagura kills them in a specific way. Any other 'death' and they'll just come back to life after absorbing enough chakra from the environment. Sasuke still needed the beasts in order to cancel the Infinite Tsukiyomi, so he wasn't going to truly kill it until after waking everyone up.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I fixed the last panel: http://i.imgur.com/OHcn3LM.png (spoilers obviously)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Frankly my dear, usura-Tonkachi*

*Translator's Note: This is a play on that famous and iconic line. You all know the one *wink wink, nudge nudge* Here it is used as a phrase that could have a good meaning but also, paradoxically, a bad meaning. Other adjectives that can be (but might not be) applied to this phrase are: "sleepy", "rambunctious", and "orange-colored".

To be fair it kinda makes sense why a translator would make a note there. Sasuke frequently used that specific word back in part 1, even occasionally as a friendly jibe at Naruto, but hasn't used it at all on part 2.

Having him simply call Naruto a dumb rear end or some other close English translation wouldn't work that well, because the specific insult is a very uncommon word.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is not a good reason at all. Even if a company like Viz somehow was told 15 years in advance that that phrase would be used in what is supposed to be an emotional climax, they still would've translated it instead of leaving it in. Explaining poo poo because you think your audience won't get it is something a translator (And by and large all writers) shouldn't do unless it's relatively meaningless poo poo like food trivia or something unimportant like that. You can't do that in a climax, not only does it distract from the material, doesn't flow in the language, and pop up out of nowhere, it's just plain loving stupid.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"Naruto is bad, all according to keikaku*" - Kishimoto

Caros
May 14, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

That is not a good reason at all. Even if a company like Viz somehow was told 15 years in advance that that phrase would be used in what is supposed to be an emotional climax, they still would've translated it instead of leaving it in. Explaining poo poo because you think your audience won't get it is something a translator (And by and large all writers) shouldn't do unless it's relatively meaningless poo poo like food trivia or something unimportant like that. You can't do that in a climax, not only does it distract from the material, doesn't flow in the language, and pop up out of nowhere, it's just plain loving stupid.

Putting the actual word in was stupid I agree, but putting a * and a translator note isn't especially distracting and can add the appropriate context to the scene.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say leave it on a translator's note page altogether. JoJo Steel Ball Run releases did that so whatever isanely Japanese jokes and poo poo you didn't get weren't explained to you on the same page and the actual language and scene at hand being explained to you didn't suffer. Mind you, this entire chapter is loving bad even without that, it's just one of those things that's really laughable with how fan translations handle poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caros posted:

To be fair it kinda makes sense why a translator would make a note there. Sasuke frequently used that specific word back in part 1, even occasionally as a friendly jibe at Naruto, but hasn't used it at all on part 2.

Having him simply call Naruto a dumb rear end or some other close English translation wouldn't work that well, because the specific insult is a very uncommon word.

I mean, at the very least I remember him being called "dead last" in a few early translations, like BlitzBlast said. My complaints are:

1) You should translate it, then make a translator's note, including the original Japanese word there.

2) Barring that, make it clear what it actually means, even if there isn't clear cut translation (hell, especially if it isn't clear cut). "A word that is an insult but also endearing" isn't really cutting it, that's too vague. Even general insults like "jerk" or "stupid" refer to actual things, like a person's behavior or intelligence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reading the last page back to front, (like a western comic) makes the final page much better because it makes it seem like Sasuke dies.

The dialogue also still flows to a degree.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Marge, I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

It's an ending, that's enough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Guy A. Person posted:

Wtf is usura-tonkachi? Oh, it's "Sasuke's iconic phrase", I see. I assume it was always translated into something in previous chapters which is why I have never seen that phrase ever, so why not translate it. Or at least explain what it would likely be translated to. Seriously "a phrase that is both endearing and malicious" basically says nothing. loving translators, my god.

Thank you, Naruto, for attempting to revive the keikaku meme.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a bad ending that's for sure.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Still waiting for ninja magic to come in and fix everything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So they sleep until morning and the 3 non treed ninja don't come after them? Also Naruto can just poof in new arms with his sage powers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the more pressing question is "How do you go to sleep while bleeding profusely from your arm and manage to wake up the next day?"

That or how Naruto and Sasuke never blew off their arms at the end of Part I when they transformed into their super forms for the first time and threw their strongest techniques at each other.

blastron posted:

I fixed the last panel: http://i.imgur.com/OHcn3LM.png (spoilers obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9WOdnR-Nfs

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 29, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Wouldn't it be safe to assume they passed out due to blood loss/exhaustion rather than fell asleep?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think the more pressing question is "How do you go to sleep while bleeding profusely from your arm and manage to wake up the next day?"

That or how Naruto and Sasuke never blew off their arms at the end of Part I when they transformed into their super forms for the first time and threw their strongest techniques at each other.

Because they are stronger and more powerful now, Also Naruto had the Kyuubi Shroud, and Sasuke had his bitchin* wings and Curse Seal protecting him.

*Were not actually bitchin.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There is no power stronger than true love. That is the lesson. This is what the entire manga was building too

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I wonder what the hell that Kaguya poo poo even had to do with any of this. What did it have to do at all with any of the rest of the manga. gently caress. I am angry. Angry about mangas!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bisse posted:

I wonder what the hell that Kaguya poo poo even had to do with any of this. What did it have to do at all with any of the rest of the manga. gently caress. I am angry. Angry about mangas!

The point of the Kaguya poo poo was to ruin the manga. To make it so bad and awful no editor could possibly still justify stretching Naruto out for money or whatever. Kishi longs for sweet release.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bisse posted:

Kishimoto couldn't figure out how to kill Madara so he pulled a rabbit out of his rear end.

Also maybe her descendent/husband/whoever is maybe the villain of the movie?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I can't be arsed to find a source, but I heard that this ending schedule wasn't planned originally and was imposed by the publisher on a short notice. So if that's true Kaguya might have been introduced when Kishi still thought he had 10,000 chapters left before he explains what the gently caress Sasuke was thinking all this time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Flytrap posted:

Kishimoto couldn't figure out how to kill Madara so he pulled a rabbit out of his rear end.

Also maybe her descendent/husband/whoever is maybe the villain of the movie?

Yeah, the villain's name is Toneri Otsutsuki or whatever their last name is.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Cant ninja bullshit heal basically anything? Like, come on. Tusande was COMPLETELY BISECTED and shes fine.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Even if Naruto and Sasuke had gone on more than, what, two missions? and therefore had enough time together to at least try and justify this insane hosed-up and undeveloped excuse for a friendship that we're suppose to be moved by, that would still have been a terrible chapter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
These injuries literally mean nothing since the new movie loving shows Naruto with a hand.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Tsunade recovered because she is The Best Medical Ninja Ever, plus her self-healing jutsu, and the Overslug helping her out. Anyone else would have died on the spot to that, except maybe Orochimaru.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

KoB posted:

Cant ninja bullshit heal basically anything? Like, come on. Tusande was COMPLETELY BISECTED and shes fine.

Tsunade's alive? I remember her being crushed by a tree and dying.

Edit: Holy poo poo that was two years ago. I thought people were kidding about the length of this arc. :stare:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Arms aren't a big deal.
Naruto, fox chakra arm.
Sasuke, Susanoo arm.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Beef Waifu posted:

These injuries literally mean nothing since the new movie loving shows Naruto with a hand.

Maybe Mecha-Naruto is more canon than we thought and it's a robotic hand.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tsunade should've died right there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, apparently Orochimaru made Mecha-Naruto.

What's up with filler making Orochimaru's experiments weirder than they already are?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naruto filler has always sucked, but it has used Kishimoto's characters better than he ever has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Naruto Wiki posted:

In an underground lair, Orochimaru and Kabuto use the power of an ongoing thunderstorm to complete a top-secret project meant to capture the Nine-Tails. Kabuto warns Orochimaru that the creation is quickly going out of control, but Orochimaru ignores him resulting in the mechanised creation to go berserk and destroy the laboratory and escape.

I want to believe this isn't a thing.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to believe this isn't a thing.

it actually owned, mecha-naruto defeats neji's spinning technique by running in a circle at 300 km/h

Edit:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

...This is the dumbest thing.

But somehow, it's also the best thing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Now I want to see Tsunade high-fiving Hiyori from Bleach. Cut-in-half, totally-fine-now buddies!

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
A summary of the second half of this chapter: Naruto and Sasuke wake up next to each other and argue over which one cares about the other more. A final pan out reveals their intermingling bodily fluids

I would say this is as close to canonizing half of Fanfiction.net as we're going to get, but we still have two chapters left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat it. I thought we only had one chapter left. :(

• Locked thread