Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm really pumped about this, and also really curious. When Them Crooked Vultures came out, I sort of realized that maybe I don't need more QOTSA albums. Josh Homme (and pretty much everyone he works with) is the kind of guy who will always be making music somewhere, and it's going to take on other forms, and so it's not like if QOTSA went away their talent would be gone forever. They'd just be off doing different things.

So with a new QOTSA album, I guess I'm expecting something that really, definitively "sounds like QOTSA". Otherwise it could just be called something else.

In fact, as much as I like Era Vulgaris, in hindsight it sounds to me more like a precursor to Them Crooked Vultures than a real QOTSA album. That's not a slight against it in any way, just a perception of its style.

So, I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Misfit Love is good, but to me it's an example of a song that sounds more like Desert Sessions or TCV than QOTSA. It's hard to describe why. I think it's something to do with the guitar sound.

echronorian posted:

Joey sucks the momentum out of so, so many songs. Particularly Into the Hollow and Turnin' on the screws.

Into the Hollow is a song that I would honestly like to hear completely re-recorded. Again, it's hard to say exactly why, but I've just always felt like the sound of it completely betrays the songwriting. It sounds like some alternate mix you'd find on the maxi-single.

I'm also convinced it'd sound amazing with Lanegan on vocals, but maybe I'm just dreaming.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

For a second I thought they had a new song called "Pepsi Music Argentina". The sequel to Mexicola :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
SFTD hooked me instantly and I've only gotten to love it more and more. Might as well start there.

I doubt any of their albums will turn you off, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cheesus posted:

I was a little surprised that of all of the songs on the album, that's the one that most remixers gravitated toward.

It's all a matter of what songs they're given the multitracks for, I'm sure.

River In The Road is definitely one of my favorites from the album. Really brought back that creepy desert vibe.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Famethrowa posted:

I'm of two minds about Oliveri returning. On one hand, I think he (and Grohl) really provided the insane energy that made Songs for the Deaf so good, while the albums after feel kinda flat. However, he is a girlfriend beating piece of poo poo who deserves no cut of fame, and I wouldn't mind him disappearing.

That was 10 years ago. Hopefully he's changed. Though I guess we might never know.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Run Dodo Run posted:

The swat team incident was only a couple of years ago I think. So that's a no.

Never heard about that. Oh well.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

tomm posted:

Looking at that artwork and thinking about what someone in this thread said about the Q looking better inverted, if you did that with this then there would be a bloodyish substance coming from her eyes. Cool.

That little bit of blue makes a huge difference, because if it were red, this would look straight out of the "Go With The Flow" video.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Whatever they did, he won't tell anyone.

Definitely an interesting read regarding the band's image during that period from SFTD to Lullabies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Weird, that interview made me think Joey left pretty early in recording, but he drums for about half the album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Vampyre did nothing for me on first listen, but now it's one of my favorites and I can't seem to keep it out of my head. It's very reminiscent of John Lennon's solo work, but with a vampire thrown in.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This morning I was thinking about how all in the same year we're getting new albums by QOTSA, NIN, and Korn. It took me back to 2005. (I realize I can't defend my continuing interest in Korn; it is what it is.)

What struck me was the fact that I know Korn's new album will contain embarrassing attempts to remain relevant, embarrassing attempts to please the fanbase, or both. NIN usually fares better, but their new single does have me a little worried. It's good, but it's exactly what you would expect a NIN song to sound like.

But whether or not it's your cup of tea, Like Clockwork is clearly a work of honesty, and that's why I'm confident that it will stand the test of time. I can point to almost any song on the album and say it clearly wasn't the product of following some sort of QOTSA formula. It was someone writing what they wanted to write. And that's a really rare thing for a band that's been around this long. They haven't run out of things to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sout posted:

iTunes has 9/10 only which is really weird.

I think that's the only one that had any sort of marketing push, at least by Desert Sessions standards. It was the closest thing to more QOTSA after SFTD so it got a lot of attention. I remember the music videos, late night show appearances, and a few songs popping up in unexpected places in the media.

But of the older ones, I think only 7 & 8 are on anything close to a major label.

• Locked thread