Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This has made my day and also my summer. There's nothing better than putting on QotSA on a hot day, rolling down the windows, and doing some highway driving. It's been, what, 6 years since the last one? The wait sounds worth it from the quality of the clips.

And oh god it has Mark Lanegan. This album is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Well keep in mind somebody aaaaalways has to throw the bucket of poo poo on the fun parade.

I was set to just buy this album when it came out because I figured I was patient enough but holy poo poo this new track got me to preorder. God I'm so weak :negative:

I already preordered off of My God Is The Sun... Now I want to double preorder, or buy the next desert sessions album or something. Era Vulgaris took me some time to like and it was a favorite, but this is giving me a similar dark vibe but grabbing me right away. Ohhhhhh man. June won't come soon enough.

EDIT: Can't wait for the next desert sessions albums. No better... group...ish...thing to ride to with the windows down while it's hot as hell. The first two especially, but volumes 9&10 were also amazing for that.

Double edit: It's slow and creepy with Homme's... weirder, Era Vulgaris-esque vocals taking the lead, but probably some of the best riffs since SFTD. I can't stop listening to the bits and pieces we're getting.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 7, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Welp, I found my driving music for the rest of the summer. Anything with Homme on it tends to be best listened to with the windows down on a hot day and this is definitely no exception.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tuff Ghost posted:

My major beef with this album is the track order. SFtD had an excellent mix with some great heavy stretches, a few breaks to catch your breath, and some semblance of a narrative. I think the problem with the last few QotSA albums is that they just sound like a mish-mash of songs with no coherency. I think "If I had a Tail" would have made a great opening track and "Fairweather Friends" for the closer. I also feel the past few albums, this included, are top heavy. a lot of the radio friendly stuff up front. Just my opinion.

This one feels a LOT less top-heavy than SFtD or Lullabies- on either of those albums, My God Is The Sun would have been track number one or two. Even Rated R started with a big, loud, catchy song before it moved to the slow burns. The track order for this one is really balanced well, in my opinion. The flow is almost more Desert Sessions-y, at least on my first impression.

Also god drat I can't stop listening to My God Is The Sun. One of my all-time favorite Queens songs for sure.

Edit: Am I crazy, or does Kalopsia REALLY have a Them Crooked Vultures vibe to it? The more I've been listening, the more this album sort of feels like a synthesis of all of Homme's projects.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

falconry posted:

I thought the second half of Keep Your Eyes Peeled and I Sat By the Ocean sounded really Vutlures-y. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my eyes. But yeah, I'm loving having more QotSA, this album didn't disappoint.

I Sat By The Ocean gave me that Vultures vibe a fair bit, but Keep Your Eyes Peeled completely feels like it came from a Desert Sessions album. It's got that special kind of weird to it, and I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me a lot.

Now that I've had a few days, I've noticed that my favorite songs have shifted completely. That's happened to me on every single Queens album. This wasn't like Era Vulgaris where I straight-up disliked some songs at first, but it's still got some definite growers on there, like Keep Your Eyes Peeled and The Vampyre of Time and Memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only thing stopping Like Clockwork from being my favorite QotSA album right now is that it needs more Mark Lanegan. Toss him in on I Appear Missing or Vampyre of Time and Memory, and holy poo poo I would go insane.

I'm a bit obessed with this album at the moment.

• Locked thread