Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

My two favorite artists ever are Bowie and QotSA so this is pretty much the best year ever for me. Josh Homme's one of those rare guys who constantly evolves with every new album he does so I'm loving stoked to hear Queens again. TCV was amazing and so was Heart On, but something just feels really loving great about a true return to his home turf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Those clips all sound loving amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what Elton John is doing on this album but I'd wager it's on that 3rd clip with the nightmarish choral.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently the band debuted a new song in Brazil today, entitled "My God Is The Sun." Missed the livestream so I don't know when or if a recording will be put up :/

edit: https://soundcloud.com/adamhargrave/my-god-is-the-sun-qotsa

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 31, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving great recording of one of their recent shows: http://youtu.be/jZaUz7a3kAo

Great setlist, great sound, too. Josh actually sounds fairly different here--maybe it's age or strain but it definitely sounds a bit like he morphs the delivery, especially in "Sick Sick Sick." Either way, I still dig it, always loved his vocal style.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LordPants posted:

So silly question, but I remember them chopping and changing the setlist each night when I saw them (during the Era Vulgaris tour). Do they just play the same shows at festival, or do you think they only have a small mount of material with the new drummer?

Tough to say for now, since there's only been one full setlist thus far. The second one I've seen included the same songs as the first one, plus a few more. I think the only thing that's certain is an absence of self-titled album stuff; IIRC Josh said playing all those songs for that album re-release tour made them sick, sick, sick of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I'm of two minds about Oliveri returning. On one hand, I think he (and Grohl) really provided the insane energy that made Songs for the Deaf so good, while the albums after feel kinda flat. However, he is a girlfriend beating piece of poo poo who deserves no cut of fame, and I wouldn't mind him disappearing.

He isn't returning. Michael Shuman is still the bassist. It's probably just for a one-off song because Josh knew there's no way Nick would be able to handle touring with his 3 years of probation.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Ah. Fair enough.

Still don't think he deserves to be on Queens liner notes. :colbert:

Yeah, I doubt we'll see him around the band. I don't blame Josh for wanting to help the guy--they were really great friends--but can't because of all the poo poo domestic abuse/drugs/etc he sticks to. He helped Jesse Hughes get out of the drug rut he had been in, and that seemed to work out better, fortunately.

Don't forget, around 2:40 EST, the studio version of My God Is The Sun is supposed to be broadcast today.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm so stoked that after 6 years of waiting, this literally arrives on my birthday. Album version is even better but I can't wait for a tracklist to leak, they never disappoint with killer song names.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

please tell me they are touring the US this summer

The one-word reply we got from the official Facebook was "soon" for the USA and UK, so I'm presuming maybe after the summer and all those festivals are over or something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I saw that review, too. It was from the Rekords Rekords forum. I'm not gonna let it damper my excitement because that forum is a loving garbage dump full of cynical retards who want SftD part 2 over and over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FSFunky posted:

One of the things that makes QOTSA one of my favorite bands is that every album sounds different, yet is still identifiable as Queens of the Stone Age. As long as they manage to keep that up, I'm satisfied.

Yeah, same here, I love that they slowly evolved and you can kind of see that across the albums, from the grungy stuff in R to harder rock in SftD, to a kind of mish-mash of the previous 2 with a dark edge in Lullabies, and then the eventuality of Lullabies became full-on dripping electric sludge of Era Vulgaris. You can sort of see that in Eagles of Death Metal, too--the production and direction gets better with each album.
I'm still psyched just because we haven't heard a lot of the sounds from that sampler on the website. If it turns out to have a lot of "ballad" songs, so what? Josh Homme does "The Boatman's Call" is fine with me.

Have you guys seen the promotional flier? That uses "ballads" in it.

http://imgur.com/20823wf

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Can we shut the gently caress up with this stupid bullshit derail

If that's what we're in for in terms of "mellow" stuff then I'm excited, that lyric about "what goes around doesn't always come around" is great. Somebody said it was Vampyre Of Time and Memory but that might have been from RekordsRekords so take that with a grain of salt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

http://www.likeclockwork.tv/

This is loving dark and creepy as hell and I love it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Christ, even though it's just half of the full song, it sounds magnificent. I don't know if TCV's twangy darkness rubbed off on him or it's just part of the "near death experience" Josh references in some interview but the vibe is great. Really love the lyric "it's only falling in love because you hit the ground" or something along that line.
Some RekRek reviewer person referred to this song as one of the "lame duck ballads" but now I know she was full of poo poo because this sounds fantastic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whatis posted:

By the way, for those of you that don't seek out every single piece of news related to Queens of the Stone Age, this article is sort of a must-read as far as the song (and album?) is concerned: http://rollingstoneindia.com/josh-homme/

Given that some of the events talked about in the interview appear almost verbatim in the song's lyrics (the first line of the chorus is "Shock me awake"), it probably explains why the song is particularly creepy and personal

I was wondering for ages what he meant by "dying on the operating table" and never understood how it happened during a leg surgery, so this is the first time I've read it with more detail. Lyrics and video definitely play into this experience, pretty interesting.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I Sat By The Ocean really gave me a Rated R + Lullabies feel; some of the new songs feel like a mix of the easygoing grungy stuff on R and the nightmarish undercurrents from LtP. It's cool to see the classic "Lanegan" Queens sound melding with the newer, Ltp/Era Vulgaris sludge.

Maybe it's just me but "If I Had A Tail" sorta sounds like a Strokes-kinda clubby song, very different and really thumping; not anything technically ridiculous but it's enjoyable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FSFunky posted:

My lord, Keep Your Eyes Peeled is a beast!

Anyone else feel like that Josh's vocal skills increase noticeably with each album?

I think it's just because his vocals seem more centered; his lyrical writing since TCV has been considerably better in my opinion, whether it's being a little more verbose or constructing a catchy-as-gently caress song like I Sat By The Ocean which I cannot get out of my head.

Infestasyde posted:

QOTSA have never bordered on sludge before

what???? The first album was sludgy as gently caress; Era Vulgaris had a lot of songs like that, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've never been able to pick a definitive favorite QotSA album for years but this one might take the loving cake. Everything sounds incredible and drastically different and more layered, sonically and lyrically, from their past stuff. Catchy poo poo like Sat By The Ocean and I Appear Missing were great but now I'm really loving hyped for Kalopsia and Keep Your Eyes Peeled.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Happycataclysm posted:

This is an amazing album. I love the direction. It seems to fit them like a glove.

Era Vulgaris I grew to sort of like. Lullabies had some amazing moments but some flat ones for me. Them Crooked Vultures was fun but I haven't listened to it in a long time.

I can't say the same for SFTD or the earlier albums which are on regular rotation. This feels more like those. Something I can listen to with regularity. It just seems like such a brilliant album. Josh feels like he's opening up here.

Yeah, I sort of feel the same way, though I loved most of Era Vulgaris; it sort of paved the way for the sound of TCV, which is one of my favorite albums ever. Like Clockwork just feels more cohesive and better written than some of the past stuff. Compare big dumb bludgeon numbers like Battery Acid and Run Pig Run to the songs on LC in terms of construction and lyrics, it's no contest.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo, nice segue into I Never Came, haven't heard that one in a while, nice surprise.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gently caress, what an awesome setlist. Please just bust out Smooth Sailing and it'll be perfect.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JoeRules posted:

Just clicked on the stream but it's blowing chunks for me. I hope to God someone is recording this (and not buffering every 10 seconds).

I think it was mentioned that the stream had a good chance of being fully recorded by NPR and put up later

llibja posted:

This loving setlist man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Already being archived at, well, the best archive for QOTSA videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/QOTSAarchive?feature=watch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy gently caress, the two that were dropped were definitely Misfit Love and Avon, judging by the pic floating around. If only they had time for those, it would have been the greatest setlist bar none

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Goddamn, when the hell are they gonna announce an NYC date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really hope that double-album thing is true, that would be loving amazing. Also liking how he outright says "we ain't gonna make the same album over and over, don't hold your breath." loving stoked for what's next because this overall is probably my favorite album of theirs as a whole.

• Locked thread