Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013

incoherent posted:

Man, Jon Theodore on drums. Talk about awesome.

I saw the video of the new song this morning and I still can't wrap my mind around how awesome it is that Jon is touring with QOTSA...It's like my own two worlds of awesome collided and blasted my head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013
Fun fact: I read in an interview of Joey Castillo circa 2006 that he found Jon's drumming mindblowing :)

EDIT: sorry for double post, I thought I was on another board :/

Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013

Besson posted:

I thought Joey was a fine drummer, but never found a proper groove, and his fills felt rushed and sloppy. Jon Theodore, who was in a band I never liked, actually nails all of the drum parts. It's pretty cool to hear the band sounds so tight again.

That said, I'm cautious about the new record. I felt the last three releases (I'm including Them Crooked Vultures here) had some great tracks but ultimately fell apart as albums. They all had three or four filler songs that were a chore to sit through. Josh needs to calm down on the falsetto, cut the filler, and lose a bit of the swagger he employs to hide melody.

If I am sounding harsh about the these records, I do love certain aspects of them. 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'River in the Road' are two of my favourite Queens of the Stone Age songs, so it isn't like he has fallen off as a song writer. Hell, it took me three years to realise how amazing 'The Blood is Love' was, so maybe I am just bad at picking them. That said, I really struggle to sit through 'Elephants', 'Caligulove'(that pun is ugh, too), 'Battery Acid', 'Someone's in the Wolf' and 'You've Got a Killer Scene There, Man'.

Please Josh, I would rather a short album than an album with filler. Please, be brutal with your editing. I'm curious about your rotating drummer scheme for this record, so my interest is there.

Interesting. Someone's in the Wolf is one of my all-time favorites of QOTSA and I love the 4 others examples of songs you don't like!

I think the new track sounds loving boss and I can't wait to hear the new album :)

• Locked thread