Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Wait, so Nick Oliveri is back on board to some extent? What happened there?
There's a photo of him singing backup with Brody and Alain. Based on what I've read, that may be the extent of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LordPants posted:

I always thought "I'm a Designer" sucked the air out of a great album. Was that just me?
It's one of those very rare songs for me where I love the lyrics and story more than the music. At least once a week I'll find myself talking to myself: "I'm high class, I'm a whore -- actually both. Basically I'm a pro!".

I was a little surprised that of all of the songs on the album, that's the one that most remixers gravitated toward.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Nikaer Drekin posted:

My least favorite on Era Vulgaris is probably Run, Pig, Run- it's not really bad or anything, but Long Slow Goodbye and I Think I Lost My Headache are such amazing last tracks for their respective albums that it just seems weak in comparison.
See, I think it upholds the same amazing last-track record. So loving creepy and borderline insane.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I'm eagerly anticipating more Desert Sessions.
I think the closest we're going to come to that in the near future is the Sound City Players.

And...a negative review already. A journalist in France posted this early, quick review on the rekordsrekords forum:

quote:

Got the press streaming last night, listened to it twice, first was awful, second was a bit better. Listening to it now and it's a bit of a cringe fest. So much downtempo, not enough rock'n roll.

quote:

For the time being, the only songs I kinda like more or less are: If I Had A Tail (I like the weird Roxy Music vibe), My God Is The Sun and Smooth Sailing. I appear missing isn't bad but nothing fantastic either, and too repetitive, which is something that I found myself thinking too many times while listening to the album.
Featurings are indeed not in your face at all, more on the "Lanegan-on-"River in the Road"" side of things. I think Jake Shears is probably the one we hear the most.
It is a bit... soft, I'm afraid. And I find myself a tad bored.
I've got to listen to it in better sound conditions.
Plus so many slow songs, for gently caress's sake. I just can't stand closing this album on a piano and falsetto number going weirdly philarmonic and going back to piano/falsetto.
Needless to say, I'm not in the brightest mood :(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

FSFunky posted:

One of the things that makes QOTSA one of my favorite bands is that every album sounds different, yet is still identifiable as Queens of the Stone Age. As long as they manage to keep that up, I'm satisfied.
Precisely my view. It's hard to imagine what Josh could do to turn me off.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Check it out the theme song for the new Anthony Bourdain show on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown/episode1

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOgBUW0nVo
That's pretty beautiful.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Ugly In The Morning posted:

EDIT: Can't wait for the next desert sessions albums. No better... group...ish...thing to ride to with the windows down while it's hot as hell. The first two especially, but volumes 9&10 were also amazing for that.
I want to see a new Desert Sessions too but for now, I feel that Grohl has managed to picked up the slack in his own way with the Sound City Players. The instrumental version of Mantra with him, Josh, and Trent Reznor is loving amazing.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Holy poo poo! That's amazing!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
:stare: Smooth Sailing :stare:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYZToXuJaM
If I Had A Tail.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFca32_7YUU
My God Is The Sun.

The final video.

I mean, the first.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I'm not a guitar nerd but I found this fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDUHq2mJx0

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/latest/304899-i_was_lost_in_dark_queens_the_stone_ages_josh

quote:

Although determined to hit the road (“It all starts next week”), Homme hints that another Queens album might arrive sooner than we think, referencing the dark before the dawn of Iggy Pop’s first two ‘Berlin period’ solo albums, written, recorded and released in swift succession within the same year. “Part of me thinks it would be great if this was the point-counterpoint that The Idiot and Lust For Life are, y’know? I love those records so much; they came out in a quick period of time. The Idiot is very dark and Lust For Life is sorta like ‘Tah-daaah!’ I would love to answer this album with a ‘Tah-dah!’ at some point.” Some point soon? “Yeah, absolutely,” he assures. “I think six years is far too long...”
I know he said the same about a follow up of alternate mixes for EV but since he's in full control now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
EDIT: Also:

quote:

Guest INTERROGATOR: Chris Goss (Masters of Reality)

Josh, could you give three reasons why The Skinny should be listing, recommending and not ignoring Masters of Reality's Glasgow 17 June Cathouse show?
Josh: You want three reasons why you have to go see it? I can do that easy: Darkness, Mystery and Loveliness. Those are my three reasons. Chris is not only one of my dearest friends in the world, but I’m a fan of his music, and they’re not mutually exclusive. I don’t like something just because I like someone. It’s a good feeling when you can love your friend and love what they do too. I highly recommend that you go there.

Also, there are lots of fans asking if there will be any last minute guest appearances in each other's sets at Download. We've done Monster in Your Parasol a zillion times, so how about I play on Sick, Sick, Sick and you play on Deep in the Hole?
Josh: OK.

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 4, 2013

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
God drat!
http://www.nerdist.com/2013/06/nerdist-podcast-josh-homme/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

falconry posted:

The only thing I might be able to recognize is if he played "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar but I Feel Like a Millionaire".
Unless Josh has given Nick permission to use it, he didn't write that song and I haven't heard of him singing it (up to this point).

I believe all other songs that he sings on R and SFTD are his though. Mondo Generator is pretty good too, so check those albums out too if you haven't already. I suspect the most attachable (especially coming from SFTD) is "Cocaine Rodeo".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b7kmv

BBC Radio 1, Maida Vale Studios:

Keep Your Eyes Peeled
I Sat By The Ocean
The Vampyre Of Time And Memory
If I Had A Tail
My God Is The Sun
Kalopsia
Fairweather Friends
Smooth Sailing
I Appear Missing
...Like Clockwork
Make It Wit Chu
Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
Millionaire
No One Knows

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Extended credits for ...Like Clockwork:
http://www.qotsa.com/extendedcredits/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Unless they've changed it from last night, shipping is $20.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
More surreal than his new passion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfn1niX3K7Q

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I'd be as excited to see Brody. I loved the debut Spinnerette album.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
That's a fantastic interview!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetvK6ldl2s
In flagrante in every way, every day.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

crikster posted:

I'm pretty disappointed so far, his vocals mesh better with the folksy sound like on Whiskey for the Holy Ghost.
How do you reconcile that view with most of the songs on Bubblegum and Blues Funeral?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

SRM posted:

Brody Dalle was great I thought, but different strokes I guess. If I recall correctly he's been helping her write songs lately, or at least they're pushing her occasionally on the QOTSA Facebook page.
I think they encourage each other, but that's about it.

He liked the The Vampyre of Time and Memories but wasn't sure it would belong on a Queen's album. She encouraged him to put it on.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

CaptainJuan posted:

Both album versions of born to hula, even though ive never heard it live.
Love 'em too. Isn't the rumor that Josh dislikes it and that's why he doesn't play it live anymore?

I can't comprehend any bad word said against The Fun Machine Took A poo poo And Died. It's almost like saying that you don't like the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
While I love TCV, the latest Foo Fighters album is dropping now. I can't see Dave available for recording in the next 6-12 months.

I suspect Josh is playing "Dad" for the next year to let Brody continue to tour her album. I'd strongly suspect new QOTSA and EODM studio time during the next year and will continue to irrationally hope that not only a new Desert Session drops but the DS box set he's been bringing up for several years.

• Locked thread