Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm rock hard and ready. Come at me Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Based on that review it sounds like this album is less Era Vulgaris and more Lullabies to Paralyze.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I see QotSA is playing at the Made in American Festival in Philly this year. Also I guess that's a different Phoenix than I know because they're from France.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
They've contracted Frictional to make a Queens of the Stone Age based horror game?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Can't wait to roll my eyes reading the Pitchfork review where Ian Cohen gives this a 5.2

This the default reaction to reading anything on Pitchfork.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tychtrip posted:

They're doing a pretty excellent job of hyping the poo poo out of this album, for me at least.

Maybe it's just Google doing its targeted ads thing but I've seen stuff all over the place for this album.

That's a really great preview video too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
These music videos are neat but I've never really been a fan of that Flash style of marionetting animation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If I Had a Tail sounds like it would fit right in on Rated R and that's fine by me. I've honestly enjoyed all of Queens' albums for different reasons and I think them changing up their sound is what keeps me coming back.

e: and this includes me bestowing Them Crooked Vultures with the honorary status of Queens of the Stone Age album because hey it's pretty drat close. gently caress i love that album

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I really enjoyed the short for Kalopsia but these animations are honestly getting worse as they come out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

conscript salad posted:

Elaborate. Because Kalopsia had the simplest "animation" of any of them so far. Or are you referring more to how they're presented/cut/framed?

I personally think Keep Your Eyes Peeled is the best, from a technical viewpoint.

I think Kalopsia worked because it was so simple and there isn't much movement. I absolutely detest the motion comic style of animation as it almost always comes off as really lazy and even with the nice art these vignettes are doing little to change my mind. The more action there is in a scene the worse it looks and for something as action packed as a car chase all of the characters' movements were sooooo sloooow.

The song is fine, I'm just an animation snob I guess.

e: it's still miles better than this poo poo

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Buzz cut Josh is freaking me out. I feel like at any moment he'll jump off the stage and steal my lunch money.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Was surprised to hear The Vampyre of Time and Memory played twice in two hours on 104.5 in Philly tonight. Here's hoping that keeps up though I doubt I'll ever hear any Queens on actual rock stations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This is such a cool album but man it sure isn't a happy one. I feel like I need to queue up their self titled album or Rated R or Era Vulgaris right afterwards to pep myself up a bit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man I loving love The Vampyre of Time and Memories. I was wondering why they chose it as the single but hearing it in context with the rest of the album makes absolute sense. Also I can't help but smile whenever I hear "I'm alive, hooray!"

And I know people are comparing this album to Lullabies to Paralyze but now I realize they really couldn't be more different. Lullabies was dark in a fun fairy tale kinda way and Like Clockwork is dark in a, well, I just died on an operating table and am re-evaluating my life way.

Here's hoping another album comes out soonish though. I'd rather get that than have to hunt down all of the B-sides that Queens scatters all over the drat globe like they did with Era Vulgaris. I'm still finding songs from that album's recording sessions I haven't heard before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Jeff Wiiver posted:

According to pitchfork, it was an actress from One Tree Hill that caused the car crash that almost killed Josh.

quote:

Driving the notoriously narrow Hollywood Hills streets in his prized 1967 Camaro (“the same one I’ve been driving since I was 14,” he boasted), Homme looked up to see a Range Rover barreling towards him. Instead of colliding with the SUV head-on, Homme — who was not wearing his seat belt — veered from the road only to smash into a fence, behind which there were a group of people having an outdoor party.

After announcing “Sorry I’m late!” to the startled partygoers, Homme climbed out of the damaged vehicle to access the situation.

“So I get out [of the car], and there was this guy who kind of looked like Kyle Glass [of Tenacious D] across the street, and he’s got a guitar on,” Homme explained. “He goes, ‘Dude, Queens of the Stone Age just ran through the fence across the street!’ And then [the driver of the Range Rover] goes, ‘I’m on One Tree Hill!’ I go, ‘That’s not the way to make fans. And by the way, I almost hit one tree on this hill.’”

What a stupid chain of events.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Awww drat I missed Vampyre. This is neat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
And just like that my wish is granted!

"I'm Elton John." :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Mosquito Song is a great tune on an album filled with other great tunes. I love that drat song.

e: awww npr took down the good quality version of the concert. boo

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 6, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hi I'm Fake Andy Dick.

That guitar is boss as hell though. I wonder if he could auction it off to the highest paying black metal band.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Sure looks like it! http://your-usb.com/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wish I had a box of whatever the hell those shirts were.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Weird zero budget interviews are the best.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why would you have an interactive thing and then make one of the first things you can click out pause it and take you out to iTunes :mad:

This is pretty drat cool though and there's something about it that reminds me of old FMV games like Killing Time or 7th Guest. Also wasn't expecting a non-animated music video out of this album.

Oh and here's the cartoon that's playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44foICFflpk

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh gently caress at the Mann Center in Philly? That'll be rad as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Haha goddamn that was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Troy Van Leeuwen not wearing a baseball pinstripe suit, immersion ruined.

• Locked thread