Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I thought Joey was a fine drummer, but never found a proper groove, and his fills felt rushed and sloppy. Jon Theodore, who was in a band I never liked, actually nails all of the drum parts. It's pretty cool to hear the band sounds so tight again.

That said, I'm cautious about the new record. I felt the last three releases (I'm including Them Crooked Vultures here) had some great tracks but ultimately fell apart as albums. They all had three or four filler songs that were a chore to sit through. Josh needs to calm down on the falsetto, cut the filler, and lose a bit of the swagger he employs to hide melody.

If I am sounding harsh about the these records, I do love certain aspects of them. 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'River in the Road' are two of my favourite Queens of the Stone Age songs, so it isn't like he has fallen off as a song writer. Hell, it took me three years to realise how amazing 'The Blood is Love' was, so maybe I am just bad at picking them. That said, I really struggle to sit through 'Elephants', 'Caligulove'(that pun is ugh, too), 'Battery Acid', 'Someone's in the Wolf' and 'You've Got a Killer Scene There, Man'.

Please Josh, I would rather a short album than an album with filler. Please, be brutal with your editing. I'm curious about your rotating drummer scheme for this record, so my interest is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Without getting all PYF, I would argue that Rated R is probably their best record. It's so weird, so strange, but it always manages to hit a sweet spot between melody and noise. There isn't a bad song on it, and every track has its own, weird personality. Josh's melodies are strong, there is some great lead guitar in there, and it never treads water like a lot of later era Homme work does. A lot of people love Songs for the Deaf, and they should it's a really great record, but I think Queens do it best when they do it weird, and they have never been weirder than on Rated R. Having a guitar solo fade in and out, having a pop song with the strange country clang guitar sound, a weird Rain Song homage, and a collapsing horn section to close the record makes this my favourite Queens record by far.

Also, Misfit Love is good, but I would argue that it really takes a life of its own when it is played live. Jesus, that build up is incredible.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

When they say "contributed vocals to", let's not get too excited. Shirley Manson, Brody Dalle and Jack Black are on Lullabies, and before that was released people made a big deal, but they are barely audible.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

So, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cka6X2Ow0Ik

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

I've given the new song a few listens and it sounds fine, but not amazing. It doesn't plod like some other of Homme's weaker tracks, but there isn't a lot grab onto here. Melody sounds a little off, guitar sounds fine but there isn't a great riff to groove to.

Going to keep trying but it sounds fine but definitely not top tier Homme.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

I saw Nick's second last show. He looked miserable as hell, but the setlist was full of weird fan-service poo poo, such as The Bronze, You're So Vague and Precious and Grace. Cool show, but there was definitely some weird vibes going on. Nick even kept his shirt on.

I was also at the Big Day Out show that was featured on the DVD. Seeing Grohl to side of the stage air drumming was cool as hell.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

I'm not as in love with the song as you guys. I love the mood and the production, but the melodies feel off and the structure seems to stifle momentum and pacing. I've listened to the clip ten times now, and it seems like a bunch of songs duct taped together in parts, with Homme's vocals struggling to hold it all together.

Maybe it works in full and in the context of the album. Love the video, though. Wish it were full length.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Not really feeling the tracks, but I'm pretty stoked to see Boneface get some cool work out there. That guy is a machine, and these videos are incredible, hopefully more are on the way. I'm loving how tied together the audio and visual components are.

EDIT: Cool boneface Spider-man picture just because:

Besson fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 15, 2013

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Image by Jirat Patradoon (Australian artist who went to the same art school as I did).

Boneface is a known rip-off artist

Ok yeah, that isn't great. To be fair, it isn't like he lifted entire art pieces, he just basically reworked a bunch of existing images. It isn't straight plagiarism, but it is pretty bad. "Rip-off artist" is an accurate description. A shame.

The videos are still cool, though.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Not feeling it. I love the mood, I just don't like any of the songwriting. Homme's melodies struggle to hold all the disjointed, occasionally awkward, riffs together. His vocals overreach, as they have done on the last few records, and his falsetto and swagger cannot substitute proper melody or texture.

Kind of bummed, considering I love the album's concept and themes so much.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Yeah, I'm not digging this record, but I love the switch up they have done. It's a cool sounding record, I just don't like the songs.

You are right, though. I have to appreciate them mixing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

HairyNipple! posted:

Oh poo poo, I Think I Lost My Headache. I'm grabbing some beers on the way home from work and watching this all again.

Edit: I'm liking this new drummer too. Joey always sounded rushed playing live.

Yeah, it's nice to hear the songs played with a proper groove instead of being rushed and sloppy.

• Locked thread