Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TalonDemonKing posted:

So this is going to sound really, really, really stupid, but I'm looking through the free PDF and I keep seeing names and looks for classes -- But I can't figure out if they're suggestions or optional, or do they really matter. If I say 'gently caress it, I'm naming my fighter 'The Swedish Chef'', There isn't anything that's going to come back and bite me in the rear end, is there?

Nah, it's mostly just a means of getting you to think about your character - if you choose none of the above, you've still made a choice. You might not think that much on it at the time, but if you look at the lists and go "Wait, these all suck, my fighter is obviously much (swoler/cooler/wimpier/green) than this," you've started creating a character apart from your list of moves and stats.

Basically, they're there to make you think and to give you something to go on if you're totally tapped out for ideas.

Edit: The thing that will trip up some new players and might bite you in the rear end is keywords. Take the fighter's signature weapon. Instead of having a score of situational pluses or minuses to differentiate a huge battleaxe from a delicate rapier, you've got keywords.

Keywords do exactly what you think when you read them: they inform the fiction of the game. The guy with the huge, messy battleaxe could totally cut someone's head off in a single stroke, but he's not going to be able to spear a fly off someone's collar without hurting them, as the guy with the precise rapier could. Or at least not without a really good Defy Danger roll.

The only time keywords might be problematic is if you let someone go overboard with them. If your fighty guy is rolling with a Huge Deadly Rusty Maiming Paralyzing Balanced Buster Sword, or you let the wizard have a spell with the keyword Antimatter or something, that might make for some tricky situations. That kind of thing will be pretty obvious, though, so as long as nobody in your group is going to be a super rules lawyer, you probably won't have any issues.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Well, the logical thing to do would be to turn the system back to something more like default Apocalypse Word - players do 1/2/3 harm and have a wound track related to their class, call it their class's harm times three or four, maybe.

It'd remove a bunch of random rolling, which is an asset and a curse in this context. I dunno how far you want to go in that direction.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

RE: Battle Instincts. Any GM with someone running Improved Fighter has to be absolutely on top of the "worthy enemies" clause. In Supreme Court's game, I was only popping it once or twice per battle, and only against big obvious boss monsters, and I still felt it was way too strong.

I think it'd work better as something like "Tactical Mastery: At the beginning of a fight, when you analyze the situation and apply your knowledge of combat..." as the prompt. That way there's a limit to the usage per combat, although it can be applied in any fight, as is fitting and proper for a master of armed combat. It also requires them to have to think for a second, which could prompt Defy Danger rolls if you really wanted to ratchet up the tension.

I'd also set it so that a 6 is specified to just not work, rather than trigger a hard move. If the utility's decreased, there's no sense in letting someone slap the hell out of your player just 'cause.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Overemotional Robot posted:

Not sure if anybody else is interested, but I really liked Desty's Merchant Prince and thought it was a shame that it wasn't a fancy playbook. Here are the Inkscape and PDF files in case anybody wants to edit them or whatever (This was my first time using it so things may look weird):

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/l9tbzjy5xlyg1a3,jnxoqbfiun21o50,hs00can20letcf5,6mgilzkridx5pf5/shared

If anybody sees anything I need to edit just let me know and I'll try to get in there and fix it.

I didn't mean to change anything from the original but I may have since I was pretty tired while trying to do this.

It looked weird until I remembered I was a lazy rear end and didn't write out looks and sample names. Thanks, dude!