Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone on G+ posted a really nice campaign playbook. I wish I'd finished mine first.

https://plus.google.com/112258979021033246325/posts/Zv19cVz8uMb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to be DMing my first game (probably a 1/2-shot, but we'll see) tonight, does anyone have a list of good starter quesitons to ask the PCs during character creation, or any other time I guess? My last GM didn't do a lot during creation - probably because some of us made our characters beforehand since we were so excited to play - and did a lot of great "intermissions" during play like asking us to recap how our characters met as flashback montages, but I'd like to do some more initial questioning.

"Who do you most blame for your current predicament ?" Then put them in a predicament.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sentrygun posted:

Not really. I suppose some people do this, but I'm all for having you go nutbar talking about how you do your cool thing. It's just a fun thing to do.

Corollary, if they aren't planning on going nutbar about the cool stuff they do, why'd they take the class ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Morham posted:

Is there any reason you can't use a shield as an offensive weapon, or further take it as your signiture weapon as a fighter?...perhaps I watched captain America one too many times, but it seemed cool to me.

No. No there isn't. Slap a few tags on it and you're good to go, feel free to make one up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've had great luck running actual published modules using AW/DW. I'm just taking them as resources with maps, plots, some NPC, and a general setup. Then let the players go nuts. My DW group had me just about convinced they were going to derail completely on the third page of the game thread. I just rolled with it to see what would happen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Handgun Phonics posted:

How would you handle actions like "looking for the enemy's position in the fog", and the sort? It's too quick for Discern Realities, and the questions don't really fit that as well, either.

Say "OK, how do you do go about doing that ?" Their answers should really help break it down into moves you can make them roll.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Handgun Phonics posted:

Isn't that just Defy Danger in a nutshell?

Also, is Wis generally the accepted Perception stat? It's pretty schizophrenic about what exactly it is, from possibly-perception to willpower to faith.

Defy Danger is the Ur move, you can resolve just about anything with a slight reskinning of it. As for Wisdom, I consider it to represent your relationship with the world outside your head. Intelligence is your connection with the world inside your head. It works out to be a pretty neat separation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

I'm going to second looking at the bonus adventures on the DW site.

http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/

Of particular note are the dungeon starters; everything but the Slave Pits. You should try writing one of these first. It's a very handy format, just what someone else needs to run the situation you came up and nothing more. The Impressions give the sense of the place and some themes to work into descriptions the GM has to come up with. The Questions give the reader hooks to adapt to their own game and convey a lot of the plot in the "what the hell is going on ?" sense. The rest of it is what makes this place special; dungeon moves, monsters, NPCs and so forth. I love this format, it's the Bauhaus of adventure design.

edit. gnome7, that's a huge chunk of work you just took on, godspeed.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

All this talk about death moves made me take notice when I saw that The Regiment 2.5 has them, and that it was released in February.

The Regiment: The Sergeant posted:

Frosty til the end: When you die, you have sudden insight into the battle. ask the GM the best way for your soldiers to get out of here alive. While trying to get out, everyone gets +1grit and 1-tough.

http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/search/label/regiment

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Harrow posted:

The "hook" example makes a lot of sense to me. It probably will be more fun for me to react to what the players bring to the table than to just impose a big ol' Word document on them like I used to do with Pathfinder.

There's a way to do both ! If there's a setting element you really want to use, or that you feel you're constrained to use by a published setting, ask the players leading questions about it. Asking "How strong is "brand loyalty" to the megacorps ?" neatly plants megacorps in the setting while also engaging the players in how they actually affect the setting. Similar questions can be crafted to introduce other elements. All the while the players are coming up with the nitty gritty details that breathe life into the setting. Everybody wins !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for movies/books/graphic novels to help me fill my head with ideas for future GMing?

Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie is the textbook example of 7-9 results; just look at the truck chase sequence for how you can avoid one danger only to somehow be in worse trouble. The whole pacing of the movie is perfect and should inspire any PbtA GM.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Having written a set of abstract money rules, I say go simple. The GM can always take away their stuff by making them have to draw on credit in banks in other cities, having there be no more stuff for sale, or any other sort of financial complication. "I don't have the money with me." If anything crazy happens, then good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I really like the DW stats. To my eye they work better than the same six stats did in D&D itself. This is all down to how they interact with the basic moves. Each stat has a single basic move associated with it. AW doesn't have that kind of symmetry. Then look at what those moves are. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are all combat stats as they always have been. The other three are much more useful than in D&D. Wisdom has become your perception stat and makes the GM answer questions about your situation. That's not a dump stat anymore. Intelligence lets you add facts to the game world, very useful for the player with the right attitude about it. Charisma lets you make people do what you want. You have to have some leverage but "battle-ready party of experienced adventurers" will suffice for a lot of situations, and not just as a threat.

Those three "non-combat" stats are purpose built for manipulating the fiction in various ways. If you don't like how this array of stats is put together, I say take a closer look. It's quite elegant.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

These are mostly collections of 40k-themed moves, but the Commissar one is almost playable.

http://pastebin.com/dEJhJ8ky
http://pastebin.com/Rm8B5KS6

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dairy Power posted:

Is all of the relevant information in the sheets.pdf? I'm having trouble making sense of the stuff that seems to pertain to settlement management.

No. You'll want another PbtA game to flesh out the rules and GM sections. DW might suit because it has rules for developing the living world, but Dark Age is much more focused on community building than DW is. DA also has the disadvantage of not being finished, but it appears to be very playable at this stage. You should have good results getting questions answered over on their forums.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Manofmanusernames posted:

I have a question about turns. I'm gming a campaign and I know the rules there are no turn and every thing is supost to flow like a conversation and all that jazz. But its seems to some players are more vocal then others so this has lead them to getting most of the spotlight while the less vocal ones get skipped. Would it be so terrible if I implemented a loose turn system where we just go clockwise around the table or something?

It wouldn't be terrible, but you can do better. What you should do is, as was mentioned before, work with one character up to the point where you can switch to another character on a cliffhanger. That's basic DW GMing. You take it into artistry when you start paying attention to the whole group of players at once and using them to weave together a group performance. The GM is a DJ, you mix and blend player actions together into an awesome jam. The DM is an action movie director, you cut between players to keep everyone in the action and maintain a level of tension. The GM is the chairman, give the floor to whoever deserves it and keep everyone participating. The GM is in charge of a troupe of improv artists, pay attention to the human beings you are sharing fun with and give everyone a chance to contribute at the best time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm inclined to let players be stingy with Hold. Then again, I write moves that give the GM Hold. The GM doesn't actually need it, but I figure it cuts down on the complaining when the GM spends it while making a hard move.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Doodmons posted:

I've heard good things about the 13th Age Monster Manual. It's got plot hooks and stuff for each monster.

I'll just drop a link to my review of it here:
http://www.gamer-xp.com/reviews-13th-age-bestiary-monstrously-good/

tl;dr It's really good and is chock full of useful stuff for the GM.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ratpick posted:

Well, we are getting a Rat Queens RPG using Dungeon World. I don't think sex moves would be that out of place in Rat Queens.

e: Then again, neither would "getting drunk" and "taking lots of drugs" moves...

Rat Queens is already pretty much "Dungeon World: the Comic", so I'd say that's perfect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

The shield is pretty nuts. I'd maybe come up with something that gives him an extra option that he can spend hold on for a defend. Maybe "it flashes brilliantly for a moment, briefly stunning those in front of it".

Make it like Captain America's shield and it's good throwing weapon that can even come back if thrown right. The kid should eat that one up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

A vital part of this process is taking breaks every hour or so, because you will figure out this connection while you are grabbing a soda. And don’t expect to do a perfectly every time, but you’ll get better at it the more you give yourself into the process.

This is really important in live games. I ran a PbtA hack as my first GMing in over 15 years, and it was grueling. I think we did 8 hours over three sessions and I was mentally wiped out after every one of them. Being in practice would have helped, but don't underestimate the mental strain of being so on point with improv for hours at a stretch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I would also recommend checking out Dungeon Starters, they're brilliant for a very loose set of ideas and concepts that you can use to inform your game - http://www.finemessgames.com/DWsupplements/dungeonstarters

The Starters are awesome. There are some very clever ideas in them, and they come with critters and customer moves.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Glazius posted:

Here's the Department Chair, which totally existed outside the realm of theory before you made that post. Comments still welcome.

The whole Resilience, Loyalty, Benefits, Hungers set of mechanics is giving me itches in game design-y places that I need to scratch now. Thank you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Infinite Oregano posted:

If they ran off with the money, what's the legality of distributing the never publicly available Pirate World stuff?

Motherfucker owes me a hardback, he's welcome to sue. Just be a backer, he'll never do it, he'd get hurt in court.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Second session went well, and I've got lots of ideas for things written.

The hardest thing in my experience so far is improving an answer for the 7-9 results sometimes. If its 10+ I just let them do the cool thing, if its 6- then they fail and I can make them take damage or whatever, but sometimes with 7-9 its like, how in this circumstance do I create a drawback?

One thing that occurred to me is that with DW a larger party should be pretty okay? With D&D I usually have a hard cap at 4-5 PCs because growing the party past that means rounds take forever and people check out during combat when they aren't going, which creates negative feedback as people then take longer to take their turn when it comes around since they weren't paying attention, which makes it take even longer to get to their turn, so more people check out.

But with Dungeon World having no hard turns or initiative order, you're free to have a few people play who aren't as experienced that could be like your Merry and Pippin who hang around and make jokes but don't necessarily participate in all the battles. Or maybe they do and they mess something up, or they get taken hostage or whatever. I could see having a larger table and it not being such a big deal, although you do still have to keep track of people's character backgrounds and bonds and such.

1. Watch Indiana Jones movies. The truck scene from the first one is a long string of 7-9s. In fact, I don't think he gets a 10+ result before the very end.

2. Large groups is where "GM as DJ" of "GM as director" comes into play. For everyone to have the maximum amount possible of the kind of fun they wanted, you have to keep an eye on the less-active people and prompt them for a move before they start getting bored watching the action. I'd try and split it up into sub-groups of 2-3 players, each dealing with a separate problem, and try and set them up with, and bring to resolution all of their cliffhangers at once. You've got to work your way up to that though.

Look at the Star Wars series. Each movie has more things going on at the big finish than the one before until in Phantom Menace you've got starfighters, Padme raiding the palace, the Jedi duel, and the Gungan/Droid battle. Notice that you really only have one PC in 3 of those scenes, and only 2 in the 4th.

Compare that with Rogue One. 3 PCs on the planet stealing the data. Three more in the ground battle holding the door open to transmit the tapes, and a framing sequence of space combat acting as a big ol' countdown clock. More PCs, fewer simultaneous scenes, this gives you room to actually kill a PC or two without cutting off a major plot thread. Or, if it's a one-shot, you've got built-in permission for a TPK. As a GM you should indulge those, you won't get many chances where it won't break the group in regular play styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And throwing a few bucks to indie creators for playbooks on DTRPG is also good.