Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Quick thing - The Vampire Killer linked in the OP is part of a bigger VIDEO GAME CLASSES pack I did. With Megaman/The Mimic, The HackNSlasher/Dante and The Vampire Killer/Simon Belmont. Its at the same link as my Automaton Bard/Storm Wizard.

Content; I've converted a gaggle of people at my games club to Dungeon world, and the fact that it takes maybe 5 minutes to set up a new character means that my main game there has become a kind of revolving door game where I have a new Guest player every other week. Its kind of amazing. I was running a game with another guy watching and suddenly one of the players roped him into being an NPC. Then the new guy tried to make a roll. 5 minutes later he was the new Bard.

Dungeon World is pretty much the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So the last big topic was Custom Death Moves, and it set me off. I love the concept and so I started building custom death moves for all my players last night. Then of course one of their characters died before I managed it. Alas.

So I was hoping for a bit of a brainstorm on some of these. My group composes right now of a Fist fighting, enruned Warforged, A righteous true king paladin, a monster hunting storm wizard, a thief assassin and a monster tamer halfling archer.

I have two ideas for Death Moves. The Wizard, I'm thinking of stealing that 'Silver Bullet' move, adapting it for the theme of the character, felling giant beasts, etc. But then again, involving the Monsters a bit in the Monster Hunters death would be nice.

Secondly, for the Thief, I had something like this

Thief posted:

On a -6, you leave this mortal plane, but as you do, you swipe one last treasure. Somewhere, anywhere in the world, an item of great value vanishes as you prove that even in death, nothing is safe from your grasp.
On a 7-9, you cheat death, pick-pocketing a few extra moments. As you flee the Black Gate, you catch one glimpse of Death. He is angry.
On a 10+ you pull off the greatest heist, stealing back a life from beyond the Black Gate. The question is, which one do you steal?

I'm largely lost on what to do with the Paladin and the Monster Tamer. The Warforged is the replacement for the last character, who hasn't really worked out their character yet, but I think will be some kind of 'Ignore all wounds and pain, cut a path' style Death Move.

Anyway, ideas?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A guy is joining my group and wants to have a swarm of bees as his animal companion. Can anyone see any issues with using the basic Ranger rules and just reskinning the choices of animal on the list?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Reskinning is no problem, I was just wondering if the part where they're a swarm might be an issue, but I doubt it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You could make a muscle wizard pretty easily by just saying all spells now cast using STR and themeing your casting method. Swap the books out for weight lifting equipment. Done.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this comes up pretty regularly, but: does anyone know of any good examples of Dungeon World games that have been recorded and put on YouTube or whatever? I want to up my GMing game, especially when it comes to making combat more interesting and dramatic, but unfortunately most of the advice I've gotten has been more abstract than I'm capable of turning into actual GMing improvements.

Some hard bits of advice for making combat more dramatic and interesting.

-Ask your players for notable things in the environment. If they don't, put them there yourself. Fires, Windows, Balconies, Big Scary Cliff Edges, whatever, throw something notable in every fight.
-Half way through a fight, through in a curve ball. Make the Golem change shape or have a new weapon, have new Orcs rush into the room, equipped with a different set of equipment.
-Give your enemies interesting abilities and powers. This one is my fave. Enemies that tunnel, emit poison, gently caress with gravity, even simple stuff like a shield wall or a big archer volley makes a fight way more dynamic.

Mostly though, keep your players abilities in mind and always make the battlefield itself interesting.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So a player in my group just found an item that I think should get a move tied to it. The past 2 sessions it's just been a cool little doodad but I think it deserves a bit of an upgrade.

Basically it's a golden arm that has a robot ghost inside it. She can use the arm to learn about this lost race of robots, and has used it to control robots in the past session. I'd like to get these both in a move but have a drawback in place. Any ideas? I'm working on one right now that's a basic Hold move that has a couple options, but it's not really very elegent. Maybe retheme the elemental summoning power that the Druid has?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I took some stuff you guys said and went with this:

The Lost Arm
A glittering, golden arm, once belonging to a powerful automaton hero. His spirit lives on through the crystal inside and whispers to you. When you encounter a piece of the Old World, lay your hand upon it and roll+int. On a 7-9, you absorb the memories of the lost world. Ask the GM something about the thing you found. On a 10+, you revive the creation and bring it under your control. On a 6 or below, the creation breaks or goes haywire in some interesting way, tell your GM how.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm on my phone, so I can't really articulate why, and I'm sure someone else will roll in and explain in more detail, but DW is basically perfect for you.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Help me make a move DW thread!

In the setting we came up with, the world is basically ruined by giant city-scale dragons of base elements, Dragons of Death, metal, fire, etc. Once, long ago, a great hero slew a dragon using magic Arrows, the Hero's are basically gathering these arrows to try and kill off some of the big ole dragons. The arrows are themed off of Virtues (Courage, Justice, Temperance, etc).

A player recently got his hands on the arrow of Temperance, and I wrote up a move that let him roll + XP to quell crowds and instill calm into situations (From riots to storms). The player liked this but after a few sessions, feels he isn't getting a good amount of use out of it, so I wanna write up a new one. Preferably something that gives him a shot at taking on one of these mountain sized dragons that are tearing up the world.

I'm thinking something that allows him to declare a weakness on something by taking a moment and finding inner calm. Thoughts?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think the sex moves are a pretty neat idea :shobon:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You guys would all go for a character class thats a thinly veiled adaptation of The Witcher, right?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, that saves me time!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It gets resolved whenever something happens that you feel resolves that bond.

That sounds more flippant than it should, but that bond could get resolved by the secret being revealed through play, by you going "Egads [Blank], its the secret master of the secret temple I told you about, back again!" when the GM introduces a character. It could be resolved by, at the end of a long drawn out fight against the Dragon-Lich GodKing of Underworld, you unleash your secret technique, shared only with your closest bond, who of course has their own role to play in your special move.

Or blabbing it. Whatever works for you really.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I really like the new sheets a lot.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A while ago I asked the thread for advice writing a move for one of the 3 super powerful weapons in my setting, based on virtues. They are basically the MacGuffins that the players will save the world with, but each one grants them a special power. Here's the one of Temperance I wrote -

The Arrow Of Temperance
One of the three lost arrows of Lordran, the metal shaft twists in your palm, becoming a weapon of your choice. Pick two tags from the list below and describe the shape it takes.
Precise, Forceful, Returning, Glowing, Reach, +1 Damage
When you take the time to judge the area and things around you, spend 1XP and roll +WIS
On a 10+ the area calms. Weapons are lowered, the wind settles, voices are hushed and yours rings out in the silence.
On a 7-9, the peace you bring is temporary, it will vanish at the worst possible time.
On a 6 or below, the arrow becomes immutable for some time, and your XP is lost.

Now I need some help coming up with another one. This one is a 'man-made' version of Defiance. So I basically want a move with a LOT of power, but power that is in some way corrupted with big consequences for its use.
This is what I have right now, which isn't great.

Defiance posted:

The Man-Made Arrow of Defiance
One of the three lost arrows of Lordran, the metal shaft twists in your palm, becoming a weapon of your choice. Pick two tags from the list below and describe the shape it takes.
Precise, Forceful, Returning, Glowing, Reach, +1 Damage
When you stand in defiance of something much, much more powerful than yourself spend 1XP and roll +STR
On a 10+ your weakness becomes strength, and you stand as tall as your foe. Regardless of power, your strikes ring true, your words speak out and your command takes hold. Describe what happens next.
On a 7-9, your power is a hollow one, and while your strikes and your words burst forth, you’re only making them stronger. Describe what happens next, but your foe will become more powerful by the end of it.
On a 6 or below, your defiance fails in the face of their power. The arrow becomes immutable for a time and the GM will describe the consequence for your stand. It will not be pretty,
Thoughts?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Theres no reason spending XP to power a move is 'bad'. The Arrow Moves are huge things that have only ever been used once in this 25~ session campaign, and that time was this awesome cinematic moment. XP is handed out like candy in the basic game so, either way, it's worked out great for me so far.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nah you're right, I'll edit that out

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think my main concern is that it's hard to stop your players just always using their best stat for the move, or defaulting to Dex anyway.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So a player just died and wants to keep playing as 'themselves'. Is there any Ghost playbook out there?

Alternatively, whats the best Necromancer style class?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That could certainly work. Any advice on which?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I took Shamblercow's Necromancer and made some heavy (spoopy) modifications, then slapped that into a DW template, and that oughta do the trick. Thanks guys!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The trick to making your encounters challenging regardless of party is the same as making them interesting. Effects and narrative stuff. Make your zombies belch poison clouds, make your orcs use heavy shields and traps, give your dragon napalm breath and use all of this stuff a lot. Always be looking for places for something other than "the monster attacks you".

There's a cool story out there somewhere called the 12HP dragon, that talks about how this approach to encounter design makes things much more fun, challenging and interesting.

Edit: also environmental effects.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Macdoo posted:

I've committed a sequence of GM sins and I'd like to know how (or if) there's a way to restore order. I forgot to do worldbuilding first session and had the players running around a pretty distinctive industrial magic city full of gnomes that I pulled out of an adventure I found online. I hate gnomes. This world really didn't sit well with me either. I asked the players if it was alright if we spent a session worldbuilding after they'd finished the first dungeon so we played a game of Microscope with dungeon world's requirements in the palette. I didn't put in the requirements of our own world.
The world we came up with (The races have been driven below ground by city sized sentient titans they used to live on) doesn't mesh with what we've done at all, but it's hype as gently caress. I don't want to ask them to ditch their characters, nor do I want to ditch the kickass new world. My current best solutions are either a janky "it was all a dream!"-style transition or asking them if they'd like to roll up new characters that are part of the world. That gives them the option to keep their character if they'd like and we try to tie the knot of loose ends into a messy lore bow. Anybody got any better solutions?

Could you have them role play out the giant titans driving everyone underground?

Like the heroes rise from their first dungeon, everyone is all chill, then in the far off lands, some evil forces complete a secret ritual which unleashes these beings upon the world. The city has a shelter for these occasions, and your players help the city's people get to it. Little does everyone know, the shelter is built into a vast array of tunnels that criss-cross the entire world....

I just finished a game that had kind the opposite - very non-standard fantasy, large world tree made of mountain-sized dragons which descended down onto the world in an immense apocalyptic cluster gently caress. Fun times.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Doodmons posted:

I think that one of the playtest versions of Fellowship could be considered a DW 1.5 or 2.0, back when it was a DW hack instead of its own game. I respect that Gnome kept developing the game to the point that he was happy with his vision, but the playtest version I played was actually a very different game and one that I enjoyed just as much. It'd be cool if he released it into the wild.

Seconding this, I didn't play the playtest versions but I heard they were very different as DW hacks. Fellowship is good but I'd love to see these versions.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I made a new playbook, The Hexer, which is basically just a Witcher with the serial numbers filed off. I'm pretty proud of the way I handled oils and potions (like spells, prepared on rests and with a new one learned every level), and it comes with a new death move

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 17, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Azran posted:

instead he gives EXP on 10s and appropriate roleplaying. ... "no, you're all supposed to be amnesiac adventurers who completely forgot how to fight" - then he started to erase choices till I could only pick Defender/Bodyguard). He said we could pick Armiger, Exorcist, etc. if we wanted to but he wouldn't allow us to use any class moves till the end of the campaign.
We can also only use our basic moves (Hack&Slash, Volley, Parley) till we train our racial features. ... grinding for cash ... planning to eventually do a PvP event

why are you in this group

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I ask again why

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's pretty neat, but the serial numbers are very much left on. I do like the oils though.

I never said I was good at filing off serial numbers :shrug: Glad you like it though!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One of my players is using The Slayer that forums user Boing and I made, also broadly based on the Witcher, and I really want to slam The Hexer moves into that

One of the things we struggled with was the preparation side of witchering, and our bodge of Readiness never felt very satisfying, so the oils and potions would be a pretty sweet substitute for that.

One thing that always comes up in almost any game is trying to make a player as prepared as their character would be. I ripped off Gumshoe for that Prepared move that I think sorta works to help with that in addition to the oils and potions as spells thing

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I tried my hand at writing an adventure for DW. One thing I noticed when researching was people were really bad at the "Make Maps, Leave Blanks" thing so I tried to make up for that by having a section for every scene covering Blanks to fill in or have your players address.

This is probably the most time I've spend making an RPG thing, and some of you might have actually played this if you've played with me at GenCon before.I didn't realize when linking Hexer that DriveThru just auto adds it to your cart if you click on a discount link so I'll seperate them, here's the special discount link

I also just finished one that's basically Pokemon/SMT with some freaky soul-eating, spiritual shaman stuff going on. The Soul Tamer

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 5, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Magic items can be kinda tough in DW cause almost every other game teaches more numbers = betterer, and that just isn't how DW works.

I like to make items that have moves attached to them. But like everyone else has said, think about cool narrative things you can grant players that encourages clever play and build stuff around that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, there's the immolator, which I'm 99% sure is just literally a Fire Bender. You could pretty easily find and replace Fire and Flames with Water/Earth.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

yo,

so i am going to be GMing Dungeon World for a group of close friends. none of us have any experience with pen & paper RPGs. :ohdear: my wife wanted to play D&D after listening to The Adventure Zone but she was much more into the story aspects of the game rather than wading through a bunch of crunchy combat rules, and Dungeon World seems to fit that bill pretty well (and everyone else is on the same page). I also really like the degree to which the players get to define the setting together, rather than leaning on the GM to come up with everything. I have a theoretical familiarity with how to GM, and I've been listening to Friends at the Table to get a better idea of the flow of the game, but i thought i'd ask if anyone had any resources for complete noobs. Most of the "how to GM" guides i've found seem to be geared more toward getting people to un-learn D&D habits rather than toward someone completely new to GMing. I found (and read through) Read and Understand Dungeon World; any recommendations for other resources, or general tips?

thanks!

Welcome! Dungeon World is a fantastic game for new players and I'd say its one of the best rpg systems ever made and it sounds like you're in for a good time. I honestly would say you've done more prep and read more materials for this than most people probably. One of the issues is that many "GM Guides" are kinda geared toward the style of GMing that DW is explicitly about avoiding, but the good news is that Dungeon World is probably the easiest game to GM I've ever run.

Some things I do recommend;
Reading this thread and other trad games threads!
The flow chart
The 16HP Dragon
Asking Nicely in DW

I'm sure some other folks have other links. One thing I can also recommend is getting one of the more wildly enjoyed one-shot adventures and giving that a run to ease yourself in. The Slave Pits was the go to one for a while but there's been tons released since.

Generally relax, come up with a couple of cool concepts to drive the players, make combat active and exciting, make characters that have quirks and interesting motives, come up with a few cool traps and puzzles, then let the players put it all together themselves.

Edit: Unrelated, but I just finished my last Playbook in the video games class series I was doing. this one is The Nameless, a sort of dark fantasy version of 47 from the Hitman series. Instead of stealing peoples clothes you steal their faces, and includes my new favorite thing I've ever written; The Bodybag of Holding.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 14, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

What do I do if my players never roll discern reality or spout lore? Have them face the full brunt of the traps?

Moves aren't something that players really get to choose happens, they MUST trigger when the time comes. If they don't spend time trying to find traps, then they trigger them and you can discern for the effects of the trap I suppose.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I mean the way I always do it is you spend hold to do something only that animal form could do - Flight, charging, stomping around, spitting acid, whatever. If the move has some unique narrative effect that could only have been achieved if the druid was a snake or whatever - that's a Hold spending action. If they could have essentially achieved the same thing in their previous form, in this example knocking a skeletons head off with its staff vs ripping it off via claws, that's probably just hack and slash.

Its easier to think of the moves as something that triggers rather than something one consciously does - hack and slash says that it triggers "When you attack an enemy in melee", if what your player does fits that, use hack and slash unless you see good reason not to.

RedMagus's approach to the whole thing is rad tho I'm gonna do that.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 20, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah, i had a hard time with this (both with myself and my players) -- i found myself saying "OK, but what do you do?" a lot. From what i've been reading, it sounds like this is pretty common, so i'm not super worried about it yet. I'm hoping that as we get more familiar with the game it'll be easier for everyone to think in terms of the fiction instead of the rules.

"What do you do" is kind of the tagline for the whole game so I'd say you're on the right track. I think everyone has struggled with this at some point in running DW, there's always a player or two that wants to "Hack and Slash" or "Discern Realities" or whatever and breaking that habit is 90% of being a DW GM in my experience.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

this makes sense to me, but it sounds massively OP - do i let the druid turn into a bear and claw the poo poo out of every enemy they encounter? do i use failed rolls of the Shapeshifter move to limit this?

You come up with something that would beat a bear and use it against the bear - a beartrap, a sinkhole, tight quarters, an ogre, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Or perhaps a pot of honey or a picnic basket.

forget everything i said do this