Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I've been digging around in Dungeon World stuff and I really like the system and a lot of the playbooks I've found. Inverse World in particular seems really cool. But I'm having trouble really picturing how I'd GM a game in my head, since I know that's the only way to get my DnD 5e group to give it a shot. It would be perfect for how we play, since we tend to pull off weird maneuvers that the DnD rules kind of strain to keep up with, and failing those without an interesting consequence is boring. But something just isn't clicking for me I guess? I think playing in an actual oneshot session or two might help but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Do people have any particular tips on how to approach the actual GMing for this game? I get the improv concepts and how you collaborate with the players to a degree but I'm kind of blanking on the actual structure of how to guide them through scenes and how to pace combat and stuff.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah I've read that over twice and it helps me understand the game as a whole but I feel like I'm missing something about the nitty gritty bits like moment to moment GM moves and handling shifting the focus around in combat

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It seems like I'm running a Dungeon World oneshot on short notice (this evening) for my DnD group since we're missing a player this week, and nobody's played this system yet (including me) but I think I've got a fun self-contained idea for it. Our normal setting has a literal Sky Mall, for adventurers and magic items and stuff, floating in the sky, and I thought it would be a good setting for an adventure. I know I shouldn't plan too much in advance but here's what I've got as a rough idea of how things will go

Intent on using it as effectively a bomb, someone has hijacked the Sky Mall command center and is going to drop the whole thing on the capital city unless their demands are met. The players are employees or shoppers in the Sky Mall when this attack happens- and now they're going to Die Hard their way into saving the day.
Highlights:
- Food Court Brawl
- Hidden cloudways between Sky Mall floors and behind shops
- unfinished floor between open shops and command center, for Die Hard flavored action with baddie's lead goon and their squad
- boss fight on rooftop as finale, possibly while mall starting to fall (if they didn't stop that beforehand)

I was wondering if anyone had some fun little ideas to throw in for flavor and encounters/complications, or any recommendations on how to make everyone's first time with the system go smoothly?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Thanks! That 16 HP dragon article actually helped me understand how to present enemies really well.

The session went great, everyone was way more into it than I expected and I was really happy with everything, once we got past the kind of awkward first 10 minutes or so of actual gameplay, where there was this weird "do you go first? do i go first?" kind of thing with a few mercs being overly aggressive towards the players. I think everyone was still expecting a distinct split between Combat Time and Not Combat Time like DnD has so they weren't sure when they should start fighting people- but we got past that and things got good.

the party was a Time Mage, a Spellsword, a Dashing Hero, and a Princess. i gave them a bunch of classes to pick from and they ended up with a fun party with this mix

after the food court fight went a little weird (the dashing hero pantsed a guy while the princess gave a big speech, it was good) they talked their way past a pretty big midboss (still had to fight his minions) and then everything went to hell in the most glorious way in the Skymall's control room/magical core. Basically there was a big rune-covered orb that was keeping this thing in the sky, and the villain was using that to move it over the capital city with the intent to drop it like a bomb. so when the players were trying to stop her from operating the controls, one of them threw his magic sword at her- enchanted to cut through anything- and it took off her hand, and went through the control setup for the core, and then embedded itself in the core. And that was it's own whole mess.

So instead of the original climax I had kind of planned in the outline (rooftop battle as the villain tries to escape the falling skymall), the villain was subdued without too much trouble, but the players had to scramble to figure out how to fix the core, remove the magic sword, and keep the whole place from crashing to the ground anyway, which worked great. They ended up finding out the core absorbs magical artifacts and can use that to repair itself, but the magic sword's ability to cut through anything kept it from getting sucked in and damaged it instead. So two of them looted the mall's magic item shops while the other two ended up in a fight with some big meat golem monster things as the villain tried to escape- and got killed for her trouble. One player goes down, fails the Last Breath, and dies. But luckily this is an upscale mall- the players are able to find a Dead Man's Coin which they can use to ensure she gets to make a deal with death instead of dying, even when she fails the roll. They just have to get it to her before she actually completely dies. The downside is, this is one of the most powerful magic items here, and they need it to fix the core. They choose to revive their teammate.

and then in a clever move, they punt the remaining meat golem into the core, since that thing's big and mean and powered by magic, they figure it should work pretty well as being absorbed to 'heal' the gashes the sword made, as long as it's supplemented by like, three dozen healing potions and random magical rings and amulets and capes and really just whatever the hell they could find. they just dumped it all on the thing. core fixes itself, villain stopped, the day is saved. the magic sword being embedded in the core seems to have awakened something in it, as it has glowing runes on it's hilt now, and the player who died and then didn't die has made a deal with death to kill their own (admittedly probably evil) brother within the next month so he can take her place in the afterlife. otherwise, death is coming for her again. so we got those plot hooks for next time

they want to keep playing these characters whenever someone can't show up for the normal DnD game and they seem really into the system so i think it was a success

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Overemotional Robot posted:

This thread has been sleeping for far too long so I'm gonna try to wake it up: is anyone interested in streaming some DW on Twitch this summer? I'm thinking of doing a weekly thing, but none of my local players have the capability / don't want to do online stuff.

I'd be interested in playing, though my schedule might be weird to work with. Did you have particular days/times in mind or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lurdiak posted:

:( I just wanted to put effort into my product.

i mean, you included stuff beyond JUST the playbook in there so i dont see a problem with it, but i haven't actually picked up and read the thing. having some items, a compendium class that pairs well with it, etc, is cool and useful for sure

if it was just the class people are used to these being pretty barebones, just the sheets for it and nothing more. but it's got other stuff so you're cool