Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Here's a new discussion for the new thread. In your opinion, should all loot in Dungeon World be deliberate, randomized, or a mix of both (specify what level of mixture)?

I ask because one of the great things of dungeon crawls of yesteryear were the randomly generated loot that produced unexpected results and their own unique challenges, from 75 pounds of jaguar pelts to a king's fortune - but all in copper. Cursed items, particularly in later editions of D&D, did not have as much bearing as beneficial items. In fact, items that did NOT have a use in later editions of D&D, such as art objects and various jewelry, outfits, and so on were largely ignored.

Now, people can request loot to be generated and have it be an integral part of the game; an upgrade to stabbing somebody, new songs for the bard, new spells for the wizard, and a new set of armor for the paladin. However (and this is from anecdotal evidence, so your mileage may vary) players and their characters will get attached to very mundane or strange things that don't serve any purpose, as a memento of the dungeon, notable experiences, or just for the cool factor.

To further expand on the above question, how much of your generated loot is ornamental (serving no other purpose than income) versus functional (serving some type of equipment role for combat or adventuring)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is there anything I should know about this game before I pick this up? I've played alot of DnD/GURPS/SAS, and was wanting to play, and possibly run something Supers oriented if the system can work it.

I think the best way to describe it to people who are much more familiar with games that have a lot of rules is to not read too deeply into things. You (and the people you're playing with) will have some adjustment phase because the game is a lot more of a two way street and the structure of play is very different. Take a look at the free rules first, since the core of it is pretty much the same despite showing a beta version from last year. Afterwards, you can take a look at Scrape and EM's dungeon primer in the second post.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Honestly, kind of disappointed that Inverse World doesn't have anything to do with Slayers. Animeeee

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Overemotional Robot posted:

Going to teach and run my very first game of DW tomorrow night and am kind of nervous about messing it up. Any tips from vets in here? I've read the ones in the OP and that's generally stuff I'd do anyway. Should I just make a really bare-bones scenario and just let the gameplay lead us in the story from there? I'm excited, but I don't want to screw up GMing this and have them hate the system or something.

Stick to your Agenda and pretend it's an action movie. Start in the middle of an action scene and let the players answer questions about why they're in an action scene. Start fleshing it out from there and you should be fine. Just introduce how things work and encourage players to take the lead by prompting them with the ever-popular "What do you do?"

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm winding down for the day and noticed this link on Google+ about making melee exciting:

http://world-of-tiglath.blogspot.com/2013/04/adding-role-playing-to-melee.html

In many ways, this is a great example of adding flavor into places that otherwise would be pretty boring, and also a use case for "the game as a conversation". Adding personality to a combat situation in Dungeon World makes for memorable storytelling. Leaving hooks for questions to keep things moving after the combat's done is important too!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The Player Agenda

This is mostly intended as a primer for people who are brand new to Dungeon World or not yet fully comfortable with its methods. Consider it as a series of guidelines to help influence the game:
  • Have fun
  • Become familiar with your character's moves
  • Do something dangerous
  • Act, don't react
  • If you ask a question, be ready to answer one
  • Look for interesting facts about the world

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I don't think it's appropriate to force anybody to play the game, but if he's dismissing it out of hand before playing it, offer to run a one-shot or point him to the auxiliary player's guide that Scrape and Evil Mastermind made, which goes pretty in-depth at answering a variety of concerns that a lot of groggos have about the system. If he really is that opposed to a game before having actually tried it, then running without him may also be valid! The world is your oyster.

e: The free rules online don't have the art assets that the PDF provides and also don't have the playbooks/character sheets lined out as neatly, but those are available for free on the DW main website.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

aldantefax posted:

The Player Agenda

This is mostly intended as a primer for people who are brand new to Dungeon World or not yet fully comfortable with its methods. Consider it as a series of guidelines to help influence the game:
  • Have fun
  • Do something dangerous
  • Act, don't react

Here's version 2, likely the final pass unless someone else has any other suggestions on what to put in.

• Have fun
  • Always follow the fiction
  • Do something dangerous
  • Act, don't react
  • Think fantastically, execute decisively

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's Fighter Week over in the DW G+ community so I wrote up two magic items for magic item Tuesday:

"Sword", +1

- This sword was used to slay a [person/place/thing] (what?).
- This weapon [started/ended] a [great event] (where?)
- This sword is [hot/cold] to the touch (why?).
- The [blade/blades] of this weapon are [righteous/wicked]!
- This sword is [famous/infamous] for a reason...
- The blade sings in your dreams of a [relative weapon] - without it, it will never be complete...

"Shovel", +1

- This shovel was once used to bury a great figure (who?).
- It was used in an unconventional manner (what?).
- You think as a weapon, this would be pretty [messy/vicious/brutal]...
- [Monster type] is afraid of this shovel (why?).
- You feel [emotion] when holding this shovel here (where?).
- You traded [something ephemeral] for this shovel, and you [do/don't] regret it (which?).
- This shovel holds a [secret] [power/thing/purpose]...

For anybody who wants to create some stuff, here's the proposed schedule:

quote:

Monday - introduction, brainstorming (why are you THE fighter, signature weapon options etc.)
Tuesday - (magic) items and weapons
Wednesday - bonds, alignments, drives, origins, races
Friday - comp classes and new moves
Saturday - new monsters (special kind of fighters, blademasters etc.)
Sunday - what is left, class hacks, etc

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

ElegantFugue posted:

Is this a Shovel Knight reference? Because now I want to play Shovel Knight.

Sort of. It is a GURPS reference to a Dungeon Fantasy magic item that is a kickin' rad shovel!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Here's some bonds for Fighter Week - Wednesday:

- I fought [with/against] [Character] in [the war].
- [Characters X, Y, Z] and I share [a promise stronger than blood] of [honor/fealty/dying on the same day/brotherhood].
- I owe [Character] my [freedom] from [thralldom/prison/death/life].
- (scary!) I will only die by [Player Character]'s hand.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Do you have templates available, or for a walkthrough for other people who don't really know how to make those PDFs?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Harrow posted:

On the subject of "seriously, don't loving pre-plan a story," I'm almost worried about how cooperative my characters are, or how eager they seem to be to chase after the villainous NPC I introduced at the end of the first session. She did some pretty crazy poo poo and ran off with some of their stuff, so the Dashing Hero is eager to take her out (because it's the heroic thing to do) while the Survivor really wants the memento she stole from his stuff in the impound back. Everyone else is on the same ship and seems perfectly happy to follow what the captain and first mate want to do.

In short, I'm afraid I might've made it too obvious, too soon, that this particular NPC is a serious danger who probably needs to be stopped at some point and cut off any chance that they might have a more interesting idea.

Then again, all but two players are brand-spankin'-new to roleplaying, so maybe having a little direction at first isn't terrible. I'm not really sure.

In your case, you can establish fronts so that the PCs are aware of other forces in the world aside from the most direct threat. If you give them clues and indicators (Show signs of approaching doom) that there is some poo poo going down that does not have a direct relation to the big bad (or does it? play to find out what happens) then you can seed the game with ideas that get more dangerous when they pass through your players' heads.

Similarly, if they want to bite on the meatiest (and first) hook that you gave them, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. You can develop that front with them and then you can insert a twist like that villainous NPC was working for a higher power, or was an ally in disguise that had to go to desperate measures to accomplish their agenda, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Harrow posted:

I do like the villain-accomplishing-a-potentially-good-goal twist. She's definitely doing what she's doing for a "good" end goal already, but if it's appropriate I can definitely change up her motivations to keep the adventure more interesting. Right now she's using powerful time magic to erase people from history who had a hand in destroying her home city in a recent galactic war, hoping that she can tear causality in half and undo her home's destruction. In the process, she's... tearing causality in half, and causing anything those same people protected or built to suddenly be destroyed or blink out of existence. She stole the PCs' mementos because she can use the memories attached to them to power her time-twisting magics. You have a really good point, though, and I'm absolutely going to be flexible about her goals/motivations depending on what the PCs do and what the PCs' goals end up being.

Sounds like you have a good idea then! I think one of the key takeaways here is that it's fine to pre-plan a story at a high level, but it generally not okay to railroad your players into that story 100% of the time. Some railroading is okay depending on the group you are running with, especially with new players that don't understand their degree of agency in a primarily narrative-driven game. However, if you are going in depth and using a full four hours of game time for exposition on your cool fantasy city - without letting the players participate - then you've likely overplanned your story.

The concept of "don't preplan" has come from running the first session, where the book notes that your machinations will likely work against you, and also from the GM agenda in Dungeon World. If anything, you should make open-ended plans that explicitly drive players to make interesting choices, then find out what happens when players start making those choices.