Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome, here's a few more links I pulled from the last thread:

Flowchart Megadungeons: An RPGNet thread about keeping large dungeons abstract.
Four pages of generators: Artifact, City, Dungeon, and Monster generation tables from Story-Game's WoD thread.
Node-based Megadungeons: Like the Flowchart Megadungeon thread, only more recent.
Point-based Hexcrawl: Abstracting the sandbox hexcrawl.

Also, you might want to update the link to Dark Heart of the Dreamer to the actual full release on DriveThru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dungeon World is now available on IPR as a Print & PDF bundle, and I think they do international shipping.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Adventures on Danger Planet has just been released.

quote:

Adventures on Dungeon Planet is a science fantasy supplement for the award-winning role-playing game Dungeon World. It has all sorts of cool stuff in it:
* Four new character classes: the Earthling, the Engine of Destruction, the Mutant, and the Technician.
* Three new PC races: aliens, androids, and white apes.
* Four new compendium classes: the Alien, the Scientist, the Sniper, and the Visitor.
* Futuristic gadgets, special equipment, and robots.
* New rules for spaceships.
* New dangers and two example fronts that use them.
* Procedures for creating alien planets and cultures.
* More than 30 new science fantasy monsters.

It is also full of really old pulp science fiction art from the early part of the 20th century!
And a few pieces from the Prismatic Art Collection.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

I decided to go ahead and buy this, when I get it (I went ahead and got a printed copy, I think I have to wait for someone to manually send me a pdf link?) I can do a short review for anyone on the fence. The author posted the playbooks at the link above, though, if anyone wants to take a look.

It's a Print & PDF bundle, but for some reason it takes Lulu a long time to actually put the PDF in your downloads. I'm still waiting on my PDF.

e: Ah, you'll get a separate email for the free PDF.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 30, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo Scrape told me last night that the Dungeon World Guide is going to be translated into Korean for gamers overseas. :psyduck: I thought all people at PAX wanting to shake my hand for helping write the Guide was bizarre, but this is getting surreal.

I need to get off my rear end and finish the two DW projects so I can ride this minor wave of fame.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Let this be a lesson learned: EM is some kind of black magic social media wizard, and getting him to help with your KS will probably mean you win.
[/quote]

Wait, I'm what now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: The full version of Number Appearing is now available for free for everyone! :siren: And yes, this is the version with the art, not just the text.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Another day, another Inverse World Update! This one is important because GOLEMS and COLLECTORS. Or in more plain English, I'm adding major content in the form of extra playbooks if we hit 17k.

Someone please run IW so I can play a water golem.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

World of Dungeons has finally been released to the public!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

My main gripe with Dungeon World right now, compared to tremulus/Monsterhearts/Apocalypse World, is how dense the playbooks are. A Monsterhearts skin or Apocalypse World playbook presents a compelling concept and story in 5-7 moves. A Dungeon World playbook is minimum 24. Again, I get why that is - the treadmill is a part of fantasy RPGs now, people have a certain assumption of how RPG fantasy works, DW is based on D&D, etc - but I think a more fantastical Dungeon World would thrive with smaller, more focused playbooks. A lot of the concepts that won't quite fit 24-26 moves and get awkwardly jammed into a compendium class instead would make brilliant Skin-sized playbooks. I think we'd see some cool stuff and more not-D&D stuff, but I repeat myself.
Dungeon World style playbooks do have their benefits, you can get a lot deeper into a concept and present entertaining options when a playbook has 24+ moves to choose from and you can afford to go with a broader archetype. I'm not sure it's necessarily better or worse than how the other * World games handle it but it's been bugging me.
Just to expand on this a bit, I think my biggest issue with classes right now is that there's too many of them. I get people like making new classes, but I think we're hitting a saturation point.

I agree that I'd like to see more non-D&D derived things, but apart from Inverse World, Planarch stuff, and Jeremy Friesen's "Take On" stuff, all we seem to be seeing is a 3.x-ish wave of new classes. Personally, I'd like to see more settings, modules, expansions, things like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Rules Cyclopedia was released on RPGNow today, which reminded me how much I loved the weapon mastery rules, which made me write this:

When you defeat a worthy foe with your signature hammer, you may take this move the next time you level up:

Crack the Shell
When you hit a target with a hammer, you can choose to reduce its armor by 1d4 instead of doing your damage.

When you have "Crack the Shell", you can take any of the following moves when you level up:

Bring the Hammer Down
When you use Crack the Shell, you deal 1d6 damage in addition to reducing the target's armor.

Everything Looks Like A Nail
When you Bend Bars/Lift Gates using your hammer, you can choose to automatically succeed, but the item is always destroyed beyond repair and it always make a lot of noise.

Ring His Bell
When you successfully hack & slash with your hammer, you can knock the target for a loop in addition to doing your damage, making him unable to act for a few minutes until his head stops ringing.

Earthshaker
When you slam your hammer into the ground, roll +STR. On a 10+, you create a small quake that knocks everyone nearby off their feet. On a 7-9, people are shaken, but still up. Either way, the shockwave still knocks things off shelves, shatters fragile objects, and such.

Groundbreaker
Requires Earthshaker, level 6-10
When you use Earthshaker, spikes erupt from the ground doing 1d6 damage to everyone in the move's range except yourself. This move tends to be rough on the local environment; walls will crack and ceilings will collapse.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

These are all awesome, and I totally get that the fiction has to fit, but this is a bit difficult to parse.

The idea was that you hit someone so hard they "miss their next action", but I couldn't think of how to put that in DW terms.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

madadric posted:

Ring My Bell
When you swing your mighty hammer at your foe, on a 10+, Things get ...awkward.

I do not miss the 80s.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I made this, and I regret nothing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trollhawke posted:

Okay I admit I kinda regret this.

Will be working on the Heir/Lord some time next week

I'm Evil Mastermind, and I approve this Front.

e: Mind if I share it with the G+ group?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 17, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnstone Metzger (the who did Adventures on Dungeon Planet) just released [url="https://"""]a new Dungeon World module[/url].

quote:

Lair of the Unknown is an introductory adventure module for the Dungeon World fantasy role-playing game. Inside you will find:
  • A complete dungeon, full of traps and horrors, ready for you to explore.
  • New monsters, characters, and magical items to vex or aid the PCs.
    Dungeon fronts—dangers that lie dormant and only activate when the PCs discover them.
  • Customized starting procedures and advice about asking the players questions that contribute to the setting.
  • Three new compendium classes and a new base class: the Dungeoneer.
  • Fantastic art by Nate Marcel and others.

It’s 110 pages, 6×9 in print, 5.5×8.5 in pdf. As far as adventure modules go, it’s not revolutionary or anything, it’s just tailored to Dungeon World, and I believe it will be an asset to both experienced GMs and novices. So, for example:

• If you are uneasy about improvising everything, this module provides you with a fully-stocked dungeon of no small size. This being Dungeon World, there’s also fronts and dangers. Some of the monsters wait around in rooms underground, but only until the PCs find them—then they are free!
  • If you want your players to contribute more but don’t know what to ask them, this module gives you customized lists of questions. Use the answers they give you to add new elements to the adventure that will actually mean something in the context of the dungeon and the town nearby. These setup procedures are written to help you get the PCs and the setting to mesh together, so the world makes sense to everyone at the table, while still preserving that sense of going into the unknown to confront dangerous things.
  • If you’re worried that my monsters won’t be bizarre or exciting enough for your game, there is also a section with procedures to create new monsters that will surprise your players.

And of course, this isn’t a linear plot—there’s no story here. There’s lots of little stories, characters, agendas, secrets, and dangers, which all add up to an overpopulated dungeon environment, bursting at the seams with opportunities for adventure. You can leave out or add as much as you want, drop pieces here and there into other games, or use this module as the starting point for a longer campaign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jonathan Walton has a few remaining scoutbook copies of Dark Heart of the Dreamer available for $10 anywhere in the world.

http://corvidsun.com/2013/07/27/dark-heart-of-the-dreamer-print/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Speaking of kickstarter, what's the story on Grim World? I notice they have shaman, Templar and slayer classes, are they related to the goon playbooks, or a separate project with similar names?

Sage and Adam liked it, and there's a interesting thing they mention in the video called "death moves" that let you do stuff like put your soul in a magic item when you die.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Here have em all, something in the backer update says something about spreading the word and hype so gently caress it fits for me:

Goddamn it, now I gotta buy this. :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This should totally be added to the DW guide, if EM and Scrape still have the master.

Scrape is pretty much the master of the guide; I'm just the secondary guy. I don't even know if Scrape still hangs around here...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey in about half an hour from now (6 pm EST) I'm going to be part of a G+ Hangout about advice when starting a DW game.

Come see how bad I look on camera!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hangout's over, here's the YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1v_O-pbJY

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this is from a few days ago, but

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I wish I had more input to give, I only just recently started using non-4e dungeons.

A DW Tomb of Horrors could be hilarious.
The S-Series and A-Series compilations WotC put out would work really well for Dungeon World. The S-series stuff is more self-contained but Against the Slavers just needs a few Fronts.

And one of these days I'm going to actually write the Dungeon World "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" adventure. (who am I kidding no I'm not)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A new DW roundtable/hangout is starting about GM moves. Come watch!

https://plus.google.com/110937611143261107555/posts/88zh5w2afUb

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

They made fun of my question. :negative:

Edit: Actually, they nailed what I was asking -- things I thought were obvious signs of danger were not taken as such, and it didn't seem right to smack the players down with a huge consequence.

I didn't make fun of your question. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The panel is up for those who missed it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way, Tim Franzke (one of the other guys in the panel) wanted me to pass on word that he's got a lot of compendium classes that people might be interested in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Forewarning, I’m still new to the system, so all of this might be horribly wrong.

When you have an opportunity to make a hard move, you make it, there doesn’t have to be a save involved. Also, you can take something that’s seemingly a hard move and downgrade it if you don’t feel like damaging your players outright. For instance, you could ‘Separate Them’ by ‘Showcasing Superhuman Strength’ when the giant they’re fighting tears down an adjacent wall and creates a heap of impassable terrain between party members. The fighter and the druid are battling their foe while the wizard and bard are desperately trying to aid them from the other side!

Or you could toss them across the room; rip their armor off, etc.
Not exactly, but you're close; monster moves are just that: moves. They're effectively added to your list of GM moves as things you can do when players make a move.

Like, with "Showcase superhuman strength" you can just say "The ogre grabs a huge boulder bigger than he is, and lifts it over its head with a roar. What do you do?" Then that sets up the players' next move ("I run up and stab him while he's open/I shoot him in the arm so he drops it on his head/I dive behind another boulder/I fire a magic missile at the boulder to shatter it"), which of course will set up your next GM move.

As for "Eat Flesh", well...it doesn't have to be the PCs' flesh, right? Maybe the zombie starts chomping on an NPC bystander, or on a dead or wounded monster that's also in the combat but not mutting up as much of a fight. Monster moves don't necessarily need to be about making the PCs' lives difficult, they're also there to showcase how that monster interacts with and reacts to the world.

For instance, here's the moves for the Goblin Taskmaster at the start of Jason Morningstar's "Slave-Pits of Dhrazu":

quote:

• Sound the alarm-the Whipmaster is nearby.
• Punish disobedient slaves
• Make a deal
Those aren't combat moves. Those are moves that explain and expand on the Goblin and what his deal is. From those moves, you can get an idea of how the goblin is probably going to act in a given situation: around slaves he's going to lord his power, and when the tables turn he's going to try to save his own rear end in one way or another.

Basically monster moves are those long "monster ecology" things boiled down to what you need to know right now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Refresh my memory; did someone do an Engineer class? I know there's the Mechanic in Inverse World, but that's pretty focused on the power-armor thing. I was thinking more along the lines of a general creator of devices.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bigup DJ posted:

The Artificer would be pretty near on to that I think.
That was pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I might as well put this here too.

I've picked up work on "Power of the Elements", a small supplement I stared work on like last year, then forgot about, then picked up again for the Finish Your drat Projects thread.

I would like feedback on the current drafts of the Compendium Classes if people could take a look, I'd appreciate it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is going to sound odd but does Alex Leal, the guy who did the illustrations for the DW Guide, hang out here?

Because if you do, Ryan Danks is interested in contacting you for some work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, this is the only way I have to find out. Scrape's the one who handled all that stuff, and he seems to have vanished. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Speaking of which, how's your Barrier Peaks conversion going, Evil Mastermind? :v:

I am terrible at working on projects. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please get better at working on that project because I really want to play it.

Man, I can't even get my monsters & compendium classes thing done, and you want me to write a whole module?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just to let people know, there's a Lulu deal where you get 40% off your entire purchase with the coupon code LULUEMP2013, and free basic shipping with FREESHIP. You can get Johnstone Metzger's excellent "Lair of the Unknown" and "Evil Wizards in a Cave" adventure modules/microsettings for about $15 all told. Or get all four modules for about $30. They're all dual-stated for DW and Labyrinth Lord. Lair is a good campaign-starter, with a decent dungeon and nearby city, and Evil Wizards is a sort of sandbox/hexcrawl thing where you're on a timer to stop said wizards before they complete a major ritual.

e: There's also Truncheon World, which is Metzger's "truncated Dungeon World". Just the text of the main book you'd need to reference when running the game.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 23, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It'd be perfect for the Fighter. "80's Action Hero: When you make a quip after killing an enemy, either take +1 forward or heal 1d4 damage."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

The general hacking chat might be better suited to the flagging AW thread, which could use some lurve. No hassle or anything, just a friendly nudge.

I do find it...odd? I guess? that Dungeon World seems to be more popular and is generating more "spin off" games and content than the game it's actually based on.

I'm surprised that you don't see "hey, I found this Apocalypse World game, looks like it's based on Dungeon World" stuff online.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're on the topic of making things in general...

1) While I get that people like making classes, I would like to see more GM-focused content for DW. Settings, modules, monsters, things like that. I feel like we're hitting this 3.Pathfinder saturation point on classes.

2) The general *World thread is here, please post in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I guess I'm just looking at it from the point of view of the person who always runs the game but never plays it; to me there's just as much value in GM content (for to help make the game fun for my players) as player content (which makes the game fun for my players).