Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Golden Bee posted:

Question: Should players restock gear automatically restock their gear at the beginning of a play session, as long as there's a bit of downtime between adventures?

I think that's your call as a GM. I had my players just purchase more adventuring gear and such when they visited a village, since they didn't have anything else to spend their coin on and it was burning a hoe in their pockets. If your players have not been getting much loot, and they have friends or family nearby, a free top-up isn't out of the realm of possibility.

It's an opportunity for fiction, though. Ask them how they restock, and see if their methods might get them into trouble or cost them a favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I also find that something about DW seems to not trigger the kleptomaniac take their stuff part of "kill things and take their stuff" in my players as well. Generally, they might take some grisly trophy from a slain foe and I occasionally throw out a strange unidentified item.

One such item was a small snuff box of glittering dust. Later when they came across a sarcophagus with a magic "flesh sticks to the lid" trap I improvised and the bard got his face stuck to the lid, they randomly decided to use the glitter dust I came up with on the spur of the moment. I thought that was a cool idea and decided it worked for them.

I love how DW has this emergent gameplay built into it, you just make these things that have questions that beg to be asked. Things like "a key" "a strange idol" "a jar of weird goo" and other interesting things make great loot you can incorporate later in interesting ways.

If I think it's likely that wealth is a likely treasure, then I'd provide it directly, in the form of jewels or coin, but my game at least doesn't seem to run on cash as a reward.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

To go with the above, I've given out almost entirely practical stuff for rewards, although some coins and jewels have definitely made it into the players' pockets in the past. But it's mostly things like "a closet full of shovels" or "a box half-filled with old dynamite" or "a room full of weird surgical implements." The shovels ended up arming one of the party members for half the dungon, since his spear broke earlier. The box full of dynamite ended up being used for a kamikaze attack to take out a swarm. They didn't even touch the surgical implements themselves, they were too creepy-looking, but they did tackle an owlbear into the table full of them to finish it off.

I have one particular player who is a little bit kleptomaniac, in that she takes something everytime there is stuff around to take, but she doesn't take everything, and no one else takes everything either. It's definitely nothing like D&D, where taking everything that isn't nailed down is a fine tradition wherein you break out the axes and shovels to get the stuff nailed down afterwards, and I'm not really sure what makes it so different in that regard. It's definitely a lot more fun this way, though, and I really like that "semi-random list of paired options" idea and I'll be incorporating that into the next dungeon for sure.

Changed the link, thank you.

I'm wondering if its linked to the low load rating of even the buffest of characters, and the fact that cash doesn't really make you that much cooler in the game. My players are much more invested in making cool custom moves related to things they make or to reflect changes in their characters than getting some boring +1 sword or a draw full of china.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Kai Tave posted:

The Warlord link still looks good. Still can't come up with a replacement/fix for Wolf Pack Tactics but I've also been busy working on characters/posts for actual games I'm playing, so.

Here's an semi-related question for the DW experts; a lot of the fanmade playbooks seem to have some variant advanced multiclass move beyond the Multiclass Dabbler move present in the core playbooks. What's the purpose behind that decision? Is it largely a flavor thing or is there somethink hinky with Multiclass Dabbler that I'm not aware of yet?

Dabbler is functional, but how it works in regards to choosing starting moves that have related moves was initially implied in earlier versions of the rules instead of being explicit. The different wording in third party playbooks is one part clarity, and one part keeping a class' flavour specific, when it limits which class moves can be taken from.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Here's a companion move for actually traveling through time.

Time travel
When you travel through time describe how you travel, and what time you intend to appear. Roll +int.

On a 10+ choose 1

On a 7-9 choose 2

On a miss, the GM chooses 3.

-Something you did had unexpected consequences in the future
-Your meddling has been noticed by the caretaker of time
-You don't arrive exactly when you wanted to
-You knowledge of historical events was misinformed
-Another time traveler is actively working against you
-Your ability to time travel is disabled, until you complete a task. The GM will tell you what.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So I finally got around to turning the Spellslinger into a PDF and uploading it to DTRPG, and it's just gotten certified and opened for sale!

The free Google docs version linked in the content post will stay up indefinately, and Declan Feeney can still share his PFD version that I OK'd a few months ago, but if you'd like to purchase the pretty PDF version then I'd be very grateful. This is the first thing I've released in any official capacity, and I'd just like to thank the thread, #badwrongfun, everyone that contributed and helped me with moves, everyone that's played the slinger, and the G+ community.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

The latter. You used to need it to be able to Cast a Spell, but now it's just kinda there. Keep it or not, it makes no difference and has no powers itself.

I actually am using it as a central focus for my character. he's infatuated and obsessed with the statuette of some long forgotten goddess.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Shamblercow posted:

I tried to simplify this. Basically, I want the necromancer to be able to track something by getting the signature of the life energy from the blood and being able to track the creature that shed it. Does this make it easier to parse?:
When you track a creature by using its blood, the blood will point towards the creature like a compass.

I made a move for a player's custom item called Heartseeker you could borrow from if you want.

When you taste the blood of a living creature, you can track the sound of it's heart as long as it's heart still beats.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, so with the list of names finally added to it and the changes to Wolf Pack Tactics taken care of, I'm ready to say that the Warlord playbook is ready for final revisions. Anyone who has any feedback on this version I would love to hear it because I'd like to polish this sucker off and get it in the queue for .pdf layout once I'm done.

Also gnome, would you please give Lemon Curdistan co-credit for this playbook in the compiled list as he's essentially responsible for about half of this thing by now.

This looks pretty cool!

The only suggestion I would make is perhaps make the good alignment more interesting and in line with the class, a reversal of the evil alignment:

Good
Show clemency to a defeated foe.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm working on the first magic item for my lands of the dead supplement, but I'm not happy with the wording yet. I thought I'd pick the brains of you fine folks for revisions.

The Red Right Hand

A severed right hand, coated in slick red blood that never dries. It is said to belong to the grey Prince, a being from beyond the stars that brought death and decay to the world at the beginning of time. For the price of a piece of your soul, you can use the hand to tear the veil between the living and any land of the dead, but you will gain the attention of the Grey Prince, who tirelessly seeks his lost Hand.

The hand can tear the veil between the land of the living and a land of the dead. Living and dead can pass both ways through the tear. When you slash at reality with the Red Right Hand, say which land of the dead you are tearing the border of the living to and roll +Wis. *on a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2. *On a miss, all 3.

*The tear will not close
*You lose a piece of your soul: lose all XP down to your current level.
*The Grey Prince has noticed you, and He is coming...

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

jivjov posted:

I owe Dungeon World a debt about now. I cribbed the "success with a cost" concept into my PbP Fate Core game. It's power rangers themed, and I decided that when Morphing Under Fire, rolling Will will always lead to a successful morph, but if you fail the check, some manner of consequence results.

You morph, but...

-an innocent is in immediate danger!
-sombody saw you do it.
-Your suit's on the inside.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

LongDarkNight posted:

So I'll be running my first DW game tomorrow night over Google Hangout. I've never run it or played. Is there a Game Master cheat sheet I can print out for quick reference? Also is there a good app to use for maps and dice rolling in Hangout?

Try roll20.

It combines hangouts, a text chat, a map screen, a jukebox, and a dice roller among other features.

One thing I like to do for fiction front-loaded games like DW where positioning is more abstract, is use a cool picture instead of a map.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Does this game have any skills? If my fighter was a merchant before he picked up his sword, is there any way to reflect that at all?

making a custom move is the easiest way.

When you use your history as a merchant to try and solve a problem, roll +cha. On a 10+, everything works out. On a 7-9, you're a bit rusty, and it costs more than you'd have liked. On a miss, a past deal gone sour comes back to bite you.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So my wife was watching one of those Hoarder shows while I was sifting through Dungeon world tavern tonight, and...

Well.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TombsGrave posted:

So I wake up this morning sneezing and the phrase "Slipstream Warrior" sort of... dislodges and pops into my mind.

It's got to be a sign.

Here's the Slipstream Warrior, version whatever! A couple new moves, a couple old ones gone. I think she's starting to take shape, gents! Especially since I can see the sell text in my head now.

You Don't Belong In This World may be a 6-10 move, I'm not sure. While otherworldly/spirit creatures may be uncommon enemies, purely by having a slipstream warrior in the party one might expect to find 'em more often. Particularly with that Scent the Void thing! It's a little more powerful than Peer Through the Veil, but it's also more narrow, so maybe it balances out.

Gonna come back to this this afternoon/evening sometime and see what else comes to mind. And next time the moves are gonna be in alphabetical order because that's starting to bug me.

EDIT: Suddenly not feeling that "or let the GM choose one" on Cloud Somersault. Maybe if it were a more mischief-filled list.
EDIT 2: Cloud Somersault now reads "choose one" on 10+ and "choose two" on 7-9! Needed to mull it over a bit, and it seems like the kind of thing that's inherently kind of hazardous. "Step back, I'm going to be tumbling end over end at high speed for several minutes, in the drat air."

What about prefixing "Psi" or "Psy" to a bunch of words. Psyblade. Psystorm. Psyker. Psipuncher.

The name is exactly the opportunity to say something about your class and who they are. Not only the mechanical and skillset role they bring to the game, but the sort of person they are and the sort or stories the make. What sort of stories will players be telling with your Mindslugger, and what moves can you make to help them tell those stories?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm finally working on my next class playbook: The Fay

I'm in the process of researching, jotting down ideas, and just making a whole mess of moves. The current core mechanic revolves around The Fay having to follow their strange rules and be affected by their supernatural weaknesses to earn Boon that can be used to fuel moves like granting wishes and cursing stuff. There's also a bunch of illusion, changing form, and trickery involved.

Currently, I'm trying to think of interesting things to do with earned Boon, and maybe more Fay Nature weaknesses to earn it.

The Fay posted:

Fay Nature
As a Fay, there are strange laws, customs, and weaknesses you must attend. When you create your character, Choose 3. When you are affected by one, you gain 1 Boon
⃞Bitter Iron - you are allergic to Iron. It’s touch poisons you, and suppresses your Fay Magic
⃞Truthbound - You may never say a thing you know to be untrue.
⃞Sun-wary - The brightness of the sun strips away your glamours and illusions.
⃞Oath-bound - You must keep any oath, deal, pact, or agreement you make
⃞Name-Bound - You must grant 3 wishes to any that know your true name.
⃞Life Debt - you owe a debt to any that save your life, and must truly help them or save their life before the debt is paid.

Sly Words
When you mislead and confuse others with technically true words, roll+Cha. *On a 10+, they make the assumption you were implying. *On a 7-9, they make an assumption, but not the one you were hoping for.

Glamour
When you use your illusion magic to trick, entice, or confuse others, describe it and roll+Cha. *On a 10+, they fall for your glamour. *On a 7-9, they’re mostly convinced, but demand some kind of proof. *On a miss, you illusion shatters to reveal the naked truth.

Curse
When you curse a person, creature, place, or object, say the curse out loud, spend 1 Boon and roll +Wis. *On a 10+, choose 3. *On a 7-9, choose 1. *On a miss, you choose 1 and the GM chooses 2 from the list below, and those affected know who did the cursing.

The curse only affects that which you want it to
The curse wears off when you want it to (3 days and 3 nights, until the next full moon, a year and a day)
The curse changes their form, puts them into a supernatural slumber, or strikes them mute
The curse can be broken only by one of the following: True Love’s Kiss, a heartfelt apology, a pure tear of sorrow.

Lore of the Folk
When you Spout Lore about the Fey, you may roll +Wis instead of +Int. The GM will always tell you something interesting, even on a miss.

Wish
When you grant a mortal’s wish, spend 1 Boon and roll +Wis. *On a 10+, choose 3. *On a 7-9, choose 2.

The wish seems to give them what they want
The wish gives them what they need
The wish doesn’t later bring them misfortune
The wish doesn’t have any immediate unpleasant side effects

Changeling
When you shift your shape to that of an owl, a badger or a fox to beguile or infiltrate, roll+Cha. *On a 10+, you are taken as nothing more than a simple wild animal and ignored. *On a 7-9, your guise works, but perhaps those that see you fancy you as a poacher or an easy meal.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Blasphemeral, I love your trip reports, your game sounds like a lot of fun!

Fay Fae update!

Changed the name because I just don't like how Fay looks on the page. I usually spell it "Fey" but apparently that means "Fated" as in "Fated to die"

Anyway, I've tentatively chosen the starting moves, and started writing out more advanced moves, including move upgrades. I'm getting close to the goal of 20 advanced moves, but some crappy ideas may need to be trimmed.

Currently the Fae doesn't really have any combatty/damage dealing spells, but that's mostly on purpose, since the Fae does terrible damage, and who needs to kill an orc when you can turn it into a bunny for 3 days, or a week, or a year!

Boons are doing a little more now, there's more ways to earn and spend them. You can even just straight up spend extra Boon on some advanced versions of moves to get extra results.

Right now, I'd love to hear some feedback about what people like, what they don't like, and what they want more of.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

djw175 posted:

Could you make it so that I could choose less than what I rolled for wish so I could gently caress with someone?

Yes! The move should definitely work that way. I'll change it to "you may choose up to x"

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

djw175 posted:

Um just some clarification here. Are you weak to all the things there and you only get boon for ones you choose or are you just weak to the ones you choose? The stolen child one move makes me think all Fae are weak to iron even if they don't choose it as a weakness.

Those moves were a bit of a mess so they've been changed fairly heavily.

OK, here's The Fae release candidate 1.0

Ask questions, and tell me what you guys think!

Man, I do not know how Adam and Sage fit all those moves ont their sheets at the text size they use I'm really having to cram this stuff into the playbook and strink overall font sizes.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I also use the "Here comes a new challenge(r)!" type thing of "Okay, well you smash the goblin real good, he's dead. But his corpse sails through the air and lands on a large tile not far away. There's a loud clicking noise and darts start shooting out of the wall! What do you do?"

Sentrygun's suggestion of making the situation bug is the right one. Give an area a number of threats - creatures, environmental, traps, social.

Chasms with rickety wooden bridges and lava rivers not far below, and a Goblin horde on the other side firing arrows.
A troll smashing and lunging at them in a cave, but it's blows are causing rocks to fall, and the whole ground is shaking.
The princess' wedding ball, but there's an assassination plot, and all sorts of customs to abide - and someone knows your invitations were forged.
The witch has the answers you want, but she wants something from you that's going to compromise your beliefs. Also the witch-hunters are on your trail so you don't have a lot of time.
You're chasing the bandits along the crumbling mountain road, they're firing arrows back at you, but the horses pulling the wagon behind you are spooked. The wagon might go over the edge, or it might push you over!
The ritual is almost complete. you have to get past the demonic fishmen to the cultists, but pools of acid and whipping tentacles are boiling up from the earth.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I think currently what the class really needs is a good strong fictional direction. What does the character do in the world that makes them interesting?

Perhaps get back to the core identity of the class. The idea of being an abducted, out of place, outsider. Perhaps indoctrinated, perhaps resentful.

For real world examples, you have children that are kidnapped and raised by the kidnappers. Perhaps they completely buy into their abducted/adopted lives.

I like the core ideas for the class that your new life gives you an alien perspective, an extra-societal advantage because you don't play by society's rules. Perhaps you have accepted your abductors' values, or perhaps you have turned those values against them in the pursuit of vengeance.

Perhaps group your current and new moves into three core categories. Once you do that, choose a move from each category that feels core to the class, or several other moves are built on top of, and use those for your starting moves.

Social
These could be about not fitting in, an outsider, but the moral freedom and alien thought proccess that enables. Perhaps also knowing fear - how to recognize it's signs and capitalize on them? This can also feed into the class's motives, do they want to perpetuate their abductor's values? have they rebelled? You could also bring in the character's ties to their native life. Who were they before they got abducted? Are they searching to find out? Were they someone important?

Action
The physical advantages your abduction has given you. Things like endurance, intimidation, deadliness. Body-warping seems to fit here, and feels inspired by alien abduction especially. I think the key here, is make the Abducted life just as interesting as the new adventurer life. What dangerous, exciting work did the abductors have the character doing before they set out by themselves?

Freak/Alien
These moves would be about what now sets you apart from your native society in a magical, supernatural, or surgically modified sense. This is an extended metaphor for the alien-ness of being an outsider, but how it helps empower the character and set them apart.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

drat straight.

I fact, this is just for you.

These are great, and I can't wait to incorperate fancy mounts into my DW games.

And now to announce the full release of:

The Fae!

As always, because I love this thread and all the people that help with ideas and feedback, the Free version will remain available for everyone in the thread.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Golden Bee posted:

I love The Fae. I mean, shooting wasps? Awesome.

But the Brownie race doesn't have any mechanical benefit, and it's unclear exactly what you can do with a curse.

Also, Bacchanalia is a sucker's choice. If I choose 1 of 3, I'm guaranteeing that I either:
*Spend a boon to gain no benefit, other than saving 100 coins;
*I gain a benefit, but people are lost to the fae realm (and the party dislikes me).

Why would I want to spend my 1 boon on other fae causing harmless pranks? If I wanted to, say, bewitch the Grand Marquis's banquet, having people lost to the other world may entice me, but I don't see a situation where harmless pranks would be particularly useful. And if they were, I'd just do them myself and gain 1-boon.

Some good feedback! The following changes will be made to the PDF later today when I can get to my PC.

Curse
When you curse a person, creature, place, or object, say the curse out loud, spend 1 Boon and roll +Wis. *On a hit, The curse makes those affected do something unpleasant, changes their form, puts them into a supernatural slumber, or strikes them mute *On a 10+, choose 2. *On a 7-9, choose 1. *On a miss, choose 1, and those affected know who to blame.
The curse only affects that which you want it to
The curse wears off when you want it to (3 days and 3 nights, until the next full moon, a year and a day)
The curse can be broken only by one of the following: True Love’s Kiss, a heartfelt apology, a pure tear of sorrow.

Brownie
You are more closely tied to the mortal races and their civilisation than other Fae. When you gain boon from helping nice mortals, gain +1 Boon. You always have the following as one of your chosen weaknesses:

Household Spirit - You always need to help a family of nice mortals in some small useful way.

Bacchanalia
When you bring strange, potent liqueurs and otherworldly revelers from the Fae Realm for a big party, spend 1 Boon and treat is as having spent 200 coin for the Carouse move. In addition to your other choices from Carouse, choose 1:

Some of your kin cause harmless and entertaining pranks. They left you something interesting!
No-one is lost in the Fae Realm
You have a confusing but prophetic dream. At a later time, you may say “I have dreamt of this!” and take +1

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lawen posted:

I read through the rulebook and the GM Guide (which was awesome and really well written, thanks Scrape and Evil Mastermind) and really like everything I've seen. I'm keeping an eye on the recruitment thread for a game to jump into. I'm still not sure that everything's really clicked with me though; mechanically it all makes sense but I'm still having a hard time visualizing how everything fits together via the narrative and how much power players have to change the game world. Does anyone have links to videos or audio of a group of good players actually playing? I'm going to read through same game threads as well but a recording of a good session or two would be really helpful.

It depends on your GM and players, but the game leaves a lot of room for everyone to say interesting things about the world and the people in it. During the fist session, the games world is built up round the players through the GM's questions. Dungeon world takes the biggest part from improv theatre, the 'yes, and...' Mechanic.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

PublicOpinion posted:

Well, got three people in for the one-shot. Had an Artificer, a Sharpshooter, and a Fae (Brownie). Sharpshooter seemed a bit overpowered with the +2d4 damage (which was theoretically offset by only being able to focus on one target at a time, but anything he shot once pretty much exploded so it was never a real drawback).

Oooh! I'd love to hear how the fae played!

One of these days ill get the opportunity to join one of your games, playing over Skype sounded awesome, unfortunately family commitments meant I wouldn't be able to give the game the attention it deserves.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ningyou posted:

I really enjoyed playing a Brownie! I was initially worried that it might be pretty rough playing one in what started out looking like a pretty combat-centric party, but the moves were flexible enough to be pretty useful and kinda encouraged you to get creative [and, well...masquerading as AN ENORMOUS TERRIFYING BOAR REALLY YOU GUYS and rambling for like a minute straight in an attempt to not-*technically*-tell-a-lie-but-y'know was really *fun*]

I kinda wish the wasp launcher inflicted some kind of stun condition or w/e 'cos in the session it just ended up feeling like a bog-standard projectile weapon ~but with bees~? Otherwise, though, pretty fun to play!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5ok4x <---recording from the one-shot, if anyone's curious.

Thanks for the feedback! making a tag for the bees (Distracting) might be a great idea to codify the idea that you more confuse/distract enemies than straight up murderlize them.

also thanks for the recording! I love listening to these, and it'll be great to hear a bunch of non-standard classes in play!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm working on a new class, the Giant. It's starting moves are proving quite tricky. I wanted them to express both the advantages and disadvantages of being a really huge guy surrounded by people and things that weren't designed with your size in consideration.

The that effect, I have the following moves, but I don't know if they are fun and easy to use...

quote:

Larger than Life
You are much larger than other races. This gives you many advantages, but there are also disadvantages to your size when interacting with the smallfolk. Choose how big you are at character creation:

⃞Big (Size 1)
You are roughly twice as tall as a human. You can fit in human-sized abodes and settlements with little or rare difficulty. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Forceful

⃞Large (Size 2)
You are around 4 times taller than a human. You can fit in human-sized settlements but an average sized building is just too small. You can easily pick up something human-sized and fling it easily. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Forceful, Messy

⃞Huge (Size 3)
You stand 7 times taller than a human. You may uncomfortably fit in some larger settlements, but most human-sized spaces and doorways are far too small. You can easily pick up something horse-sized and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy,

⃞Gargantuan (Size 4)
you are massive, 10 times taller than a human! Human settlements and buildings are far too small to fit you. You could easily pick up a horsecart and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy, Ignores Armor

Spatial Awareness
When you take violent or sudden action in surroundings not designed to accommodate you, Roll whatever move is triggered as normal. In addition to the move’s rules, *On a 10+, choose your size number -1. *On a 7-9, choose your size number. *On a miss, choose your size +1:

Your surroundings are damaged by your actions
Someone you don’t want harmed is put in danger
Something important is knocked out of reach or damaged
You lose your footing or get stuck
You are attacked or suffer damage from the environment
You are swarmed or cornered

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

The Supreme Court posted:

Great minds etc. I'm working on a Behemoth class right now! Considerably smaller though (i.e. 7-9ft tall), so based around being a bulky person rather than a literal giant.

I like the idea of being able to represent something 10x the size of a person, but I wouldn't consider what you've got a viable bunch of starting moves; they read more like racial choices with a severe drawback.

What you list for the sizes seem like a good place to draw some fun starting moves from, as they give a really decent core idea of a class.

E.g. Gargantuan (Size 4)
you are massive, 10 times taller than a human! Human settlements and buildings are far too small to fit you. You could easily pick up a horsecart and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy, Ignores Armor

From this, I'd give something like:

For my own class, the behemoth, these are the starting moves I've got so far. Feel free to nab them! I'd love advice and tips on these too. It's intended to represent a hulking man, minotaur or ogre, so about 7-9ft tall and 300 lbs. Using STR and CON to give a class that does good crowd control and tanking, as I'd quite like a lot of interaction with the other characters.

I've also been thinking about using something along the lines of the Hurl I suggested above, as that could be a pretty drat fun move!

That Hurl move is great, and gives me ideas for revisiting the sizes and making them as moves you choose at the start, as a way to condense the idea of the giant's size down to 1 move for each size.

I'm sortof aiming for a guy whose size doesn't neccessarily just pidgeonhole him as the overwhelming damage dealer, though a move for wrestling dragons and other large beasties might make an appearance. I wanted the giants to have a purpose beyond "Be Big, Break Stuff"

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

CitizenKeen posted:

Dear god in Heaven.

I just found DW, am picking up my hardcopy tomorrow, and am looking forward to giving it a try with my group.

Still working my way through the original DW thread (on page 38, you m-f'ers are prolific), so I apologize if these questions have already been asked.

Questions: Are all these hack playbooks being done in Inkscape? If anybody's using InDesign, are ya'll running 5.5, or are some of you able to do it on 5.0?

Thank you!

I know Gnome uses inkscape, and his final products look great. I stumble around ID5.5. I haven't used ID before making stuff for Dungeon World, so I can't comment on the differences between 5.- and 5.5.

In other news, the Giant has had more added to it. Like my other Playbooks, I often stare at a blank page for about a week before the moves start flooding out.

I've retweaked some of the numbers on Larger than life to create more balance between the giant and other players. I initially included Gargantuan just to see how far I could push the concept, but had reservations. A player that size would either trivialize things that would be threats to other players, or be excluded from scenes simply because they couldn't fit. The new maximum size is 5x average human, which is still really big.

I liked Golden Bee's suggestion of a keeper of giant beasts so much, I create a series of Pet moves for the giant:

quote:

Fluffy
You have a giant pet. Give it an inappropriate name and choose it’s appearance: A giant version of an animal, a great beast spirit made of living wood, stone, or ice, an insect of giant proportions. When you call your pet to action, roll+Str. *On a 10+, hold 2. *On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend hold, 1 for one, on the following:

One or more allies may ride it
It’s attacks make an enemy vulnerable
It obeys a command you give it

Heel!
Requires: Fluffy
When you call your pet to action, you may take 1 consequence from Spatial Awareness in order to gain 1 extra hold with your pet, even on a miss.

Good Boy!
Replaces: Heel!
When you call your pet to action, you may take 1 consequence from Spatial Awareness in order to gain 2 extra hold with your pet, even on a miss.

I've started creating advanced moves that let you select one of the consequences from Spatial Awareness to increase the benefits from another move. there are also a few advanced moves that reduce the number of consequences caused by Spatial Awareness.

I also really like the concept of Enduring Atlas

quote:

Enduring Atlas
When you push yourself beyond your limits to lift the impossible, roll+Con. On a hit, you lift it. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2:

The strain harms you, take D4 damage
You are vulnerable to attack
You can’t hold it for long...

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

Probably forever. I don't see any reason to take it down.

Yeah I'm thinking forever is good too! There are some great classes in here that will bring a lot of fun and flavour to your games, witch and dashing hero are instant classics. I'm really happy to include my two entries to the bundle.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
If you're going to make or play a class that's got d4 as their base damage, you don't want to be rolling a lot of hack & slash or getting hit. So you will want to contribute to action scenes in another way, messing with your enemies or helping your friends in Interesting ways.

For the fae, which is a d4 class that has no damage Increasing advances or multiclass moves, they've got illusions and curses.

Illusions are about tricking others into acting on false assumptions. Curse can be used to make them do something unpleasant or even turn them into something harmless - which is quite powerful!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

AlphaDog posted:

OK, so the GM makes moves...

I guess I was reading 'a golden opportunity" as something more special than "they move forward". No problem.

Edit: So to attack an enemy with reach, you need to Defy Danger to get close, and then Hack And Slash? Or can Defy Danger be used to say "I slip past its guard with an agile lunge, and strike home" or "I batter his spear aside and cut him down" and also deal damage? Do Monsters Defy Danger as well?

I'm still not sure how attacking a guy when you have Reach is different from attacking in close melee, except if the idea is that the enemy couldn't just "do damage" to you if you got 7-9 with your REach weapon.

I'd make that 2 moves, defy danger+dex to get in close, then hack and slash to deal damage. If the monster can't strike in close, or you think the players description of their action was extra awesome, you may just let them deal damage instead of rolling h&s. a lot of the finesse of dungeon world really is leading with the fiction - picking what fits, and feels fun at the time.

If a player simply says "I charge him and hit him with my sword" then you may not trigger defy danger. You might simply say "ok as you run in recklessly, he stabs you with his spear, opening a nasty gash. Take d6 damage, but you're close enough to swing your sword. How do you swing at him?"

A more in depth description from your player may trigger more moves, or less, but go better for them, depending on how their description interacts with the fiction.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I was thinking of making a joke class that is pretty much the bumbling slapstick character that just continues to make everything worse. The mr bean of dungeon world

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was planning on running it like you say and winging it whenever confusion came up. When someone would gain a 'boon', I just give them something cool or something that I know their character would like. However, page 30 says something like 'boon like a cleric' in an example, which I guess has something to do with 'Divine guidance'? I assumed boons for the fae and paladin were special to them, but I thought maybe I missed a generic definition somewhere in the pdf.

I used Boon as the name for the main hold currency in The Fae simply because I wanted to evoke the idea of fortune or favor you get by acting within your strange otherworldly nature. It's not related to any mention in other classes or the rules.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So I was going to work on The Fool today, but instead reworked The Giant.

I changed the starting moves that referred to size and carried consequences substantially. Now I don't specifically mention size, but more the things you can do as a Giant, and the problems you will encounter because of your size. There are advanced moves that influence the options you have when making these moves.

The Giant posted:

Larger Than Life
Your large size gives you both advantages and disadvantages. When you bring your size and strength to bear against a problem, roll +Str. *On a 10+, you choose 2 Actions and the GM chooses 2 Consequences. *On a 7-9, you choose 1 Action, and the GM chooses 3 consequences:

Actions

You send someone or something of your choice flying
You deal your damage
You crush or smash an item or object of your choice
You pick up someone or something the size of a human
You clear an obstacle with a great leap or stride
You make an opening that was too small just large enough

Consequences

Your surroundings are damaged by your actions
Someone you don’t want harmed is put in danger
Something important is knocked out of reach or damaged
you lose your footing or get stuck
you are attacked, or suffer damage from the environment
You draw unwanted attention to youraself or others

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

DW thread posted:

Giants

A big concern for me with this play book is that a player may be excluded from something because of the character they chose. I've been toying with an idea of a move or blurb suggesting discussion= between players and GM about the big guy's size, and how this will impact the game and the player.

Perhaps something to note about all play books is that the players' choices can say a lot about the kinds of adventures they want to have, not just how they deal with the adventures.

If the adventure goes underground, there should be times where it's a tight fit for the giant, but generally they should fit.

Size compatability and integration is the main thing holding this class back from being completed

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
In the interest of making The Giant more compatible with most groups, I've added a couple of moves in:

The Giant posted:

Talisman
You have a talisman that allows you to shrink down to close to the size of one of the smallfolk for a short time, describe it. While you are small, you will fit into human-sized places, though it will be uncomfortable. While you are small, you cannot use any of your moves that take advantage of your Giant size. When you use your Talisman to shrink down to almost as small as a human, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 2. *on a 7-9, choose 1:

Your size is stable, for now...
Your clothes and items shrink with you.
The effects of your Talisman seems to be lasting, for now...

Dependable Talisman
Requires: Talisman
When you use your Talisman to shrink down to almost as small as a human, choose 1 less consequence on a hit.

I'm thinking of either straight up making Talisman a starting move, or having it as a choose 1 option at 1st level with another move. I'm also not sure whether I like the options you can choose from yet. I want the duration one to be a temporary stability, so the Gm can use you suddenly growing as a soft or hard move later.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Flavivirus posted:

Maybe have a choice between Talisman and an animal companion-like move, so you can either shrink yourself down temporarily or send your Jiminy Cricket dude off with the party to help them out where you cannot follow?

There's already a set of moves that's about having a giant, innapropriately named pet. Currently, I have the choice sitting between these two, since both a useful and colorful:

quote:

Talisman
You have a talisman that allows you to shrink down to close to the size of one of the smallfolk for a short time, describe it. While you are small, you will fit into human-sized places, though it will be uncomfortable. While you are small, you cannot use any of your moves that take advantage of your Giant size. When you use your Talisman to shrink down to almost as small as a human, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 2. *on a 7-9, choose 1:

Your size is stable, for now...
Your clothes and items shrink with you.
The effects of your Talisman seems to be lasting, for now...

Enduring Atlas
When you push yourself beyond your limits to lift the impossible, roll+Con. *On a hit, you lift it. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2:

The strain harms you, take D4 damage
You are vulnerable to attack
You can’t hold it for long...

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

sentrygun posted:

The more I think about it the more I figure that there's not much of a reason for a notably large Giant to be excluded from things. The old Gargantuan was straight up overkill and really where the problem was, but a big cave troll works just fine. The 'dungeons' you're going to are just as abstracted as any other place you visit, it's not a huge leap for a GM to just say "yeah you can fit in". Maybe there's a tight space that you have to smash open or squeeze through because you're a giant, but if there's a distinctly man-sized dungeon that the Giant is just stuck out of maybe that's not a thing your group should encounter. It's not like making it big enough to accommodate the troll is going to ruin everyone else's immersion, and the Giant isn't incapable of joining in the conversation from outside the village chief's hut.

I don't really like the Talisman because, at least from what I remember last time I looked at the Giant, that leaves them with "can use their ancient magics" and I guess "can eat rocks". The Giant's thing is, understandably, being a Giant, so a move that lets them follow the rest of the party into the kobold cave with the caveat that you aren't allowed to be a Giant feels kinda lovely, though suddenly becoming a giant again inside the cave could be cool. Also, if I had to choose between the two I'd totally pick "can literally lift mountains" over "can be stuck with basic moves".

If the campaign is really gonna revolve around going through small tunnels and the like but a player really wants to use the Giant, I think an extra page about "The Giant in Small Spaces" could help. Maybe the Giant could be someone with big badass power armor, but they're bulky as poo poo and keep knocking stuff over and falling down stairs. Maybe they could just straight up be a golem. Hell, maybe they're Hercules. All of these options could totally work with the Giant's moveset while shifting the size down and keeping the "way too big and strong, knocks everything over on accident" downside that makes the Giant fun.

This is the other angle I'm thinking of, a third page pretty much titled "So how big are you anyway?" that gives the GM and player some questions to ask before play so that everybody can have fun. I also like the idea of writing up that when you roll+Str, it's not really working on the same scale as "How strong is a human" but more "How much effort does it take? How much control?" The Giant in a smallfolk world is always trying to manage their strength and size. They can step on the kobolds, that's not a feat of strength for the Giant. The feat, the challend is not also squishing your buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
In regards to the discussion about multiclassing and cobbling together playsheets for custom ideas, it's worth mentioning that Dungeon World works off a single core mechanic for task resolution. So long as yuor players aren't regularly rolling more than +3 on a move, they're going to get plenty of 7-9 results that drive the game forward. World of Dungeons proves you can play an entire game just with Defy Danger.

The beauty of DW playbooks as they are is that they present a cohesive fictional concept for your character. Multiclassing as is gives you an opportunity to broaden the scope of your character in a controlled way.

Gnome's Worldly multiclass move and a variation of (I think Lemon's) Thematic multiclass move could be included as options for every player at your table. Give Thematic to them as an option between 2-5, and Worldly as an option for 6-10.

Thematic Advancement
For one of your advanced moves, you may take a move from any playbook appropriate to your character's theme and level. Describe how you came to have this new move. If you take a starting move that relies on other moves to function, you get those moves as well.

Worldly Advancement
For one of your advanced moves, you may take a move approriate to your level -1, from any playbook another player isn't using. If you take a starting move that relies on other moves to function, you get those moves as well.

Another option to consider is custom moves and compendium classes when your players level up. Doing this at the table, or as a team effort is fun, rewarding, and will produce more balanced results. You can get a lot of variation and different flavour from playbooks by re-skinning as well. A simple edit to a move's trigger can make it play very differently.

There is the posibility to munchkin DW if you give open season multiclassing to players, but the results are less rewarding than other systems because it's difficult to inflate your stats beyond +3.

There are some veteran munchkin players in my group that know how to milk a system, but when we started playing DW, they quickly abandoned that. They didn't care when they got a sub-optimal roll because exciting things were still happening and it didn't neccessarily 'feel' like failure. The best thing about DW is that failure doesn't stall the game - it drives it!