Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Glazius posted:

Yeah, "beyond 10th level" on p. 29 has you covered. It's mostly the AW non-advance options: swap playbooks, get a new one as an apprentice, retire to safety.

Really the best thing sometimes is just to stop advancement. Like at level 10 you are the peak of your profession, so there is no more room to grow. Just keep role playing your cool character and don't worry about grubbing for dice rolls to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

We ended up canceling last night cause us players were just so drat tired, though. I really do think that the game suffers when we have to do it after a long day...wish we could do it Saturday instead, but I don’t wanna take up people’s weekends.

Yeah, this is a problem I used to run into all the time when I was younger. Playing when you can play is great, but if you really want role playing to happen the way you want, do what you want. If it is worth people's time, they will make time. Even on the weekend.

I work retail so my free time is opposite all the people I normally played with for 20 years, but we can still manage one Saturday a month. It can be tough to not play with all your old friends each time, but games are always better when people are genuinely invested.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

kaffo posted:

For example, Ars Magica is about as crunch as you can get, I'd love to "modernise" it with that same "magic is a science" core, but make it more naritive without explicitly making it a PbtA spin of it's own. But I'm not exactly sure how to go about it...

I am an Ars Magica fanatic, and while a game about wizards sounds just about a wild a time as you could have in role playing, it is doing a really great job of emulating the genre of wizards who just sit in a tower and read books. The systems are many, and while simple there are so many little fiddly bits to take care of. However, one of the major character goals you can have is creating a totally novel spell that slightly breaks the laws of magic. That this takes decades in game of labor and research is working as intended.

If you want to see a good game about wizard academics I would recommend Pigsmoke. It is a great PbtA game about being a professor at magic college.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think Dungeon World is good because you can't run it for a super long period of time. Just tell your story and start a new campaign once you finish.

If you really get into the weeds with character stuff each session that will of course add more story to tell and make the game last longer. If not you can tell your core narritave and move on.

After playing Dungeon World, I can't imagine going back to old school Absolute Genocide Soldiers where you are purging every dungeon and the surrounding lands of all life just so you can grow in power while the campaign drags on for years with no extra narrative.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyone have suggestions for Netflix stuff to watch as prep? I might be playing this weekend and I have an hour or two during the week to digest some fantasy.

Find a copy of Krull and see what fantasy can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I mean, it’s alive, not as popular as a few years ago.

Supporting it also supporting a extremely gross guy has definitively taken some shine off it.