Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Latest Diabolist!

Patch Notes: added a combat ove to the starting moves, added a section to "cashing in" to include NPCs, added "Brood" and "The Promise" to the 6-10 advanced move list.

On another note I just completed my first session with The Psion today, and I must say I highly enjoyed it! It has a very good mix of combat and non-combat moves, all of which are very reasonably effective, and the class itself has just enough flavor built to be distinct from other classes and allow for most any character concept. All in all, a good class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well the issue is that its actually supposed to be follow the "genre conventions" of D&D because you kind of more or less just reinvented the level up mechanics from Apocalypse World.

True enough, but I must say I like Lemon's MC rule quite a bit more than the base DW rule. It honestly never really makes sense to me when a class has absolutely no multiclass rules (in fact I feel it's the only weakness, period, of the Psion class)

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Guess who really like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? This guy.

The Ripple Man

When you are instructed by a warrior from a strange land on how to fight the darkness
, the next time you level up you may take this advanced move:

Ripple Energy
Your very touch is a poison to those who fear the sun, and anathema to those who prey on the weak! When you Hack and Slash without a weapon and deal damage to an undead foe, a creature of the night, or something which does not call this world it’s home, your strikes shine with the light of the sun! Roll two damage dice instead of one and add the results together.

From then on, when you level up you may choose from the following moves:

The True Power of the Ripple
So much power courses through your body that you barely feel pain anymore, and this has many strange effects:
-Your body will not fail you when you need it the most. Add CON or STR to your Last Breath rolls, whichever is higher
-You can dislocate your joints to extend your reach, and attack without fear of harming yourself. Add the reach, messy, and forceful tags to your unarmed attacks

OVERDRIVE
You have mastered the technique of shaping your life-force into elemental power. Your unarmed attacks gain the elemental (fire, ice, or electric) tag. In addition, you may Hack and Slash any enemy that is touching the same object or surface as you are.

He was Just a Kid
When a monster kills a bystander in your presence, whatever they are and whoever their victim was in life, they’ve just made a powerful enemy. You take +2 ongoing on all rolls against the offender, but are at a -1 to all rolls when trying to fight anyone else. This persists until one or both of you die.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 26, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gnome7 posted:

KillerQueen, that is pretty excellent. I just caught up on the latest episodes of that just a couple hours ago, JJBA is so good. I think the attack that adds Near to your melee attack should probably add Reach instead, though. Near is generally a ranged attack tag.

I somehow forgot reach was a tag! Weird. Fixed it up good.

ED: gently caress it have another

The Stone-Masked Vampire

When you don the stone mask and paint it with the blood of those you hate, you can take the following advanced move when you level up.

I Will Transcend Humanity
You are immortal, to an extent at least. You do not age, and you no longer possess the Last Breath move. Instead, when you lose all your HP you disappear from the battle - you don’t teleport or anything, but something happens to separate you from the action for a time. You cannot perform any action that doesn’t get you closer to a source of blood.
However, there are limits: if you lose all your HP due to fire or holy magic, or if your body is exposed to the light of the sun for more than a moment, you die.

From then on, when you level up you may choose from the following moves:

Bloodbuzz
You don’t need blood to survive, but it is delicious beyond imagining. When you feed the blood of a person, gain +1 blood. You have no limit on how much blood you can carry, but can only suss out 1 blood per body. You can spend blood 1 for 1 to do the following:
-Regenerate: Replace the blood in your veins with the blood in your belly! Heal 5 HP at any point. This can be used while at 0 HP to get back up without needing to hunt for more blood.
-Space Ripper Stingy Eyes: Volley while unarmed using pressurized blood! Has the tags near, armor penetrating, messy. If you’re required to spend additional ammo, spend additional blood instead.
-Cold as Ice: Force your blood to evaporate, sucking in all nearby thermal energy! When in physical contact with someone or something, they are frozen in place! This effect persists until you break contact or unless a heat source is somehow introduced.

Weird Science
Your body has been manipulated by the Stone Mask, but so has your mind. You must share your power! When you are alone with someone who is willing or incapacitated, you may do one of the following:
-Create A Zombie: By slicing off a bit of your own flesh and implanting it in your subject, they fall under your control. You automatically succeed on any Parley attempts with them as if you had rolled a 10+, and you can offer dead bodies as leverage.
-Create Hybrid: you know how bodies work. All bodies. By taking bits from one, combining them with another, and adding a bit of your own blood, you can create half-animal hybrids. Whoever is your subject gains 1 move appropriate to the animal you attached to them: for example, combining a bird with a human might allow them to fly, or combining a dwarf with a shark might be really loving cool give them several rows of sharp teeth.
-Create A Stone Mask Vampire: Requires the Stone Mask. Allows a PC to enter the compendium class, allows an NPC to become a terrifying monster. And vice-versa.

Yare Yare Daze
When you take a moment to pose and pontificate on the hopeless nature of your enemy’s struggle
, roll +nothing. On a hit, you will receive a +2 forward to defy danger. On a 10+, they will be completely paralyzed with fear, and your next move automatically succeeds as if you had rolled 10+

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 26, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Everyone remember this? Me too. Have another preview!

This week's preview is for The Survivor, another core class that fills a niche that isn't all that present in existing playbooks. The Survivor has suffered through a life-altering cataclysm, and it has changed them permanently as a result. While super-tough characters are already very possible in DW (such as the Gladiator, Barbarian, or Paladin), The Survivor gives you incredible toughness in their core moves, with a greater focus on surviving than conquering. Those other options might be better at killing things, but you don't need to kill to be a hero. You just need to survive.

I want it. I want it bad.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Hey Gnome7, mind adding this link to the compendium class section of the first post? It goes to the JJBA dealies I made the other day.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yG-tP2eBzNdyHul--t8vRbKnjNApypRLwRSW7bXEpOA/edit?usp=sharing

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

So I was going to make a stand-user compendium class, but then I realized the Psion is basically a stand-user. So yeah. Psion: the Best Class.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They finally updated the Barbarian sheet with the fixed d8/d6 ruling: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/Barbarian.pdf

Every time I see the Barbarian I just think "man this needs more". Maybe it's just how it's formatted, those blank spaces need to be filled with something.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is literally a WiP playsheet that doesn't have all its moves yet! The class isn't out, this is just the playtest.

Oh, I thought it had been finished a while ago. Oh well

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Overemotional Robot posted:

Well, just ran my first game of DW. It was our first time playing and it was a pickup game in place of our normally scheduled 13th Age game (since people were missing and I don't like playing without people). We played a monster one-shot where they were the invading horde attacking a king's city. This was the setup:

"The seventh seal has been broken and the Long Night is upon the sunlovers. This is your time. For too long have the sunlover butchers raided your homes, stolen your goods, and killed your kin. You work for Xererox King of Winter and Bones, and for months you have been digging towards the sunlover's city. Under the sunless sky you will feast on their fatbelly king and take back what is rightfully yours."

I figured I'd let them fill in all the vague parts and start them in the action like people suggested. Overall I felt it was pretty good. They had fun, but I felt like I wasn't doing a good job with my moves and trying to come up with something neat for all the -6s they kept rolling (holy crap there were a lot). Our cast was:

- Ripper, the devourer fighter

- Shooting Star, the barbarian lizardman

- Whisker Quick, The lycanthrope rat thief

- Brutalitops, the zombie shaman

- Hat, the cloaker bard

At one point the zombie was driving a "Dwarven Power Loader" so I guess that is A Thing now.

I love it all but because the Barbarian is always an Outsider he should've been an elf.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Okay, phew. Finally finished reading the book, the guide, the last 86 page thread, and all of this one. Now that I've ensured (I hope) that my questions haven't already been answered, I'd like to ask for insight from the Goons!

INT/WIS DD
Can someone provide me with some examples of rolling Defy Danger with Intelligence? I'm struggling to think of many examples that aren't "thinking quickly and then reacting quickly with Dexterity." And are there examples of DD+WIS that aren't "withstand psychic attacks." Also, while I'm at it, how do you draw the line between DD+STR and DD+CON?

Hardest of the Core Classes
Of the nine core classes, which are the hardest for new players to wrap their minds around? I'm going to be starting a campaign with four players, so even if I get rid of one or two, that means that the last player to pick will still get to pick from at least four classes, so I was thinking of removing some "trouble" classes.

Thanks, Goon Squad. Looking forward to exploring DW with you guys.

Roll DD INT if your character is faced with a riddle and you, the player, are drawing blanks. Roll DD WIS to figure out if someone's lying, or when looking for something specific. My friend rolled INT to make sure that when making explosives he'd get the mixture right, I rolled WIS when crossing a rickety bridge to figure out exactly where to step to not fall through.

Of the core classes, the person who found the game hardest in my group of new players was the one playing the wizard, mostly because it was a bit to keep track of and we were all using one laptop.

Also: a note on d4 damage: few classes probably have it because it's not fun to roll max damage only for a DM to say "sorry, his armor takes all of it". Damage dice aren't really how strong you are, they just reflect how badly you can gently caress someone up with an attack, and it's never very fun to have a seasoned adventurer give an orc a limp-wristed slap.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 26, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I kind of like the alternate possibilities for those options though. Break something important, like your promise to stop drinking.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Consider yaself backed, pally.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Likewise for Survivor/Captain.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd still not want to be running a game where most of the players are man-sized and one of them is 30 feet high and capable of simply kicking over anything the party runs into. The discrepancy is too large.

Fighters can already just break anything they want to over their knee, it's not that big a deal if you're flexible while DMing.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Nothing is True
When you ignore the advice of another and act on your own plans instead, take +1 forward.

Everything is Permitted
Requires Nothing is True
When you ignore the advice of another, roll +Bonds with that person. On a 10+ you gain 3 hold, on a 7-9 you get 1 hold.
You can spend hold to use any move unique to the person you rolled bonds with. If it's another PC, you use their stats instead of your own.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Most name lists just seem like a series of pop culture references to give you an idea of what characters might be considered as part of the class.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The online rules are perfectly fine, the book just clarifies a few things in sidebars.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This Gun is the Best Gun
When you Sperg out about the construction of a weapon you are holding, it gains the exquisite tag, and gains a +1 to damage.

Your Gun Sucks
When you point out the various inadequacies of an opponent's weaponry, they take a -1 ongoing to damage for the rest of the fight or until they abandon their weapon and find another.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The moral of the story is that the Fighter could be a lot better.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

But where would we find a link to such a thing? If only there were some sort of highly convenient list of links towards the beginning of the thread.

In all seriousness I do really like Gnome's improved classes, the Fighter advanced moves just get kind of weird in my opinion.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

LordZoric posted:

This is more the case in my opinion. :) Thankfully a lot of progress has been made in this thread.

Honestly, you're right. The druid's probably my favorite base class, but even it has issues.

I'm don't even want to look at the ranger.

ed: The reason I don't really like classes that have nothing but combat abilities baked into them is that my group so rarely runs any game that focuses on combat. Whenever we do people mostly just get bored or lose focus. The base fighter would be fine by me if I ever did something like a dungeon crawl.
Now it strikes me as a bit funny that I'm playing a game called "Dungeon World".

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Except that's not what Arcane Art is about. Really, it should have been "when you weave an artistic performance into your magic" or something.

That's kind of just as vague as the original arcane art. I like the Rasamune thing because it cuts out the only mention of real magic from the Bard's starting moves, other than one of the lore options. Makes it less "I'm a magician that sings" and more "I know a bunch of poo poo and that's pretty damned powerful".

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Wait, if vague is good, why define that it has to be a magical effect at all?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

So I made a thing. I am an expert with neither page design nor Dungeon World. I generally don't like theorycrafting, and having not played DW, I'm really reticent to share my creations. However, I'd like to get the layout set up for my Grim Portents 3 submissions. As such, here is my first Compendium Class (not for GP3). (Hacked the layout from the official DW character sheets.)

I present, the Harbinger

The idea is that the GM / player can read the fluff on the left to get a sense of the CC. However, once they hand it off to the player, some of that fluff becomes irrelevant, so the player can cut the right side off an append it to their playbook. Thoughts and feedback (on the layout more than the CC design, though both are welcome) greatly appreciated. Thank you!

On the visual design front, I would bring the Trigger section over to the top-right, I actually missed it completely for a minute when I was reading over the sheet, and it looks kind of awkward being down there by itself since it makes the left side completely packed while there's still room on the right. It also goes against the ideal of having the example on the left and the more mechanical bits on the right.

As for the actual CC, I don't know why someone would take it. The base move makes Last Breath even harder on the player than it already is, Haunted Gaze and Dance with Death (if both taken) make the player roll CHA for failing a CHA roll, and the Carouse move comes up so rarely (at least in my own group's play) that I wouldn't really bother using an advanced move with a heavy drawback for it.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's a thought about a Logical replacement:

It could be as simple as pulling out a dousing rod or dealing some tarot cards, so it's still broadly applicable, but I think it might be more evocative.

I'd change ritual for another word, since that's already a thing, but that's still pretty good.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The Supreme Court posted:

I've been doing scribbling to my brute class. It's based around the idea that throwing enemies around sounds like crazy fun, so it's not exactly delicate. I'd really like some feedback!

I like it, though I feel like having the awkward tag when beating a dude with another dude is a little against the point.
Also, if you wanna make the typing very slightly easier on yourself, just write "Roll +(stat)" instead of "Roll 2d6+(stat)".

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Boing posted:

Ok here's some more of The Slayer:

Maaaaaaan this is beautiful. It's basically what I want Rangers to be in every game I've played in. I'm really, really looking forward to the full version!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

djw175 posted:

So I was looking at the basic moves and remembered how terrible Bolster is. Would it break anything to make it give 1 Hold for hours, 2 Hold for days, and 3 Hold for a week? It's still not that great, but it could at least get some use then.

Eh, I don't think it's all that bad, I just wish more class moves worked off it, or if each class had a cool thing they could exchange Preparation for.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Boing posted:

Here's the release candidate for The Slayer. Please proofread it, critique it, playtest it, tell me what works and what doesn't, so I can put out a v1.0 for the OP!

Juggled some of the moves around, split up a couple of them, finally managed to fill out both lists. Lord of Bones was nearly called Coat of Arms, but I thought that was too goofy. I'm pleased with how Exorcist turned out, I think it's one of the more interesting moves now. Tools of the Trade still feels a bit weird, I'm not sure how well it'll work in an actual game, but I'll be keen to find out.

I do not have permission to view this file.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Basically anything that can track something cold be a bounty hunter, I'd reflavor the Slayer if I wanted to make one.

djw175 posted:

Is there a Puppetmaster-like class? If not I might try it for my first class. Or maybe a lawyer class. Either-or.

Edit: By puppetmaster I mean using actual puppets, not like the mastermind.

My Diabolist is fairly lawyer-ish.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Someone please run Inverse World so I can play Majin Buu.

Also I hope there's an advanced move at some point that let's you count as dungeon rations, then healing potions. Food golems are the best.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 25, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I was actually trying to make a Binder class when I was first making my Diabolist (lawyer).

I'm curious to see how a binder would work though. I'm imagining a Mage that basically swaps very limited spell foci on the fly.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but a quick question:

I'm coming mostly from a dnd3.5 background, and Ive gotten paranoid about class tiers. Does dungeonworld have similar problems? I love the basic idea of the system, but got nervous when I saw cleric and wizard had a page of spells other characters didn't have access to.

I don't think any class I or my group has payed with have really outshone another. The game's mostly (in my mind) about constructing a solid narrative dialogue between people, and the system's goos at not letting one class shine more than the other.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I think that's just because it's not unreasonably difficult to just make a new class.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

sentrygun posted:

And not a lot of people like the spell concept in the first place, thus why we're not seeing a bunch or any classes with Cast a Spell variants.

Well, we sort of do, they're just worded far better by allowing you to choose tags and then letting you choose a separate narrative flair for the spell. Black Magic is basically Cast a Spell in a much, much better written format.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gnome7 posted:

To the Inverse World backers, the first draft of The Golem has been sent out! I will get the Collector out as soon as it is finished.

Yes, being food for the party is an advanced move! I love it!

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I wonder why they don't use "on a hit" in the core book? All I can think of is that they don't want to contradict moves that are like "on a 6- your thing happens, but you might regret it", but I can't remember if moves like that are even in the core book.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I agree with that statement, though most one-shots my group has done so far has been a thing we've continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Experienced GMs for the game, how do you feel Dungeon World works with more horror-based fantasy? The continual ratcheting-up of tension on failures is one of the things that makes *World games great, but the 'downside' is that the game greatly encourages player input and making up their own established facts to add to the setting. It seems like that might interfere with the whole 'feel of the unknowable' things that a lot of good horror has going on.

On a similar tack, when the PCs are dropped into an unfamiliar setting, does that have any unusual complications with gameplay norms? Take exploring an unknown continent, for example - it seems like it might be difficult to Spout Lore about something that a character would have no reasonable way of having seen before.

I've had fun running horror-themed sessions. It's easy as hell to twist around things the players establish about the setting around on them.
As for unknown continents, just establish similarities between things the characters are familiar with and the things they're discovering...honestly explorations one of the easiest things to do in DW.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 22, 2013