Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How worried should I be about a monster being too powerful? As far as I can tell every monster encounter is fairly even aside from big boss monsters like dragons, and characters don't exponentially get stronger like D&D, but is there any chance of a straightforward fight being too much for the pcs to deal with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's good to know. I was residually worried from when I thought health was class base plus the modifier. Judging from google, everyone thinks that once.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You should definitely recommend the guide as much as possible because it rules hard.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What if the pipeweed makes it get all emotional and start talking about it's personal issues? Could be embarrassing all around.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Amateur opinions on the Orc Medic:

-There's a formatting error pushing the Stitchy commands onto the second page.
-Medicine Man seems wierd as a background. Maybe make it related to Spout Lore rather than a free point of XP each game.
-Operation! could do with a stated consequence of some sort for <7 rolls, I'm not really sure what'll happen. Often with those lists all the things happen, but only some follow that "you don't" formula here. I'd keep the mix since it makes an interesting tradeoff.
-Nothing about operating on yourself, which seems fairly orcy.
-It's pretty cool otherwise.
-surprised there aren't any warhammer references I noticed

Tomb Warden:
-Mention in the start of the Ghost Powers section that it uses fury, it was kind of hard to pick up on.
-Ghosts being silent is kind of limiting, maybe make it so you can hear them, but nobody else can.
-wisdom of the past should say 7-9 rather than 6-9

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

I just bought and am halfway through the main core book at a gaming store nearby, and I'm a little confused on how people are getting other classes into the game. How does it work? Are there just loose chapters of Warlocks and Monks and poo poo out for download somewhere? Are there restrictions on what you can and can't make in a class? Won't it be kinda bullshit and imbalanced?

I understand that it's meant to be moddable, and I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm not quite sure how you'd actually pull it off.

There's a lot of custom classes in the OP, and a bunch of them are free for goons or like 2 dollars. The main problem with balance is how much spotlight they can steal from other characters. If you put the Brute and the Princess next to each other, one's going to smash more faces and the other's going to have more non-combat influence, but it's never going to be as nuts as a fighter/wizard situation.

Actually that might be a bad example, now that I look at princess more a resourceful one with a frying pan can be pretty nasty, and the brute's got a lot he can do with crowds/intimidating.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 9, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a bit of an assumption in a lot of the basic playbooks that you'll do a lot of dungeon crawling and fight your way through most problems. This isn't really innapropriate for genre emulation but a lot of playbooks expand beyond that, and encourage out-of-the-box problem solving or other obstacles.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's Kickstarters. It's good he's actually releasing it after the delay though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's ok. Not everything is for everyone, especially on 4chan.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Oh, right, 4chan.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've never really understood how that was different from rolling on a random encounter table.

Come to think of it, are there random encounter tables anywhere? They'd be Funtm to try to justify in story.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Deltasquid posted:

I've revisited my Maestro class after a long hiatus and as always I'm looking for feedback as I go along. I've added the Read you like a book and Tampering advanced moves and I'm trying to figure out if they're worded correctly, and if Tampering is too powerful/freeform? Those moves are largely inspired by Rohan Kishibe's abilities (from Jojo, natch). The idea is that the artist can magically "open" a person's face and read the contents like a book, and discovering stuff like their past, personality traits, their thoughts and ideas, etc. With tampering, he can start messing around with the contents of a person's... mind, or soul, I guess? I'm unsure if these would be more interesting if some roll were required.

Additionally I'm trying to figure out more advanced moves for a playbook based around the best god drat artist who ever lived. If you've got a Maestro in your group, it should feel like traveling with Da Vinci, Dali, Mozart or Kubrick. Most of my advanced moves right now just add to the three starting moves, which isn't BAD per se, but I'd like to sprinkle in a few things that make the player go "Wow, this is cool! I want this!" to look forward to.

This is a pretty cool class, although there's a bit of redundancy. The Polymath move isn't particularly useful since you can get a new artform with extra bonuses with art of war or what makes it tick, and impressionist background and speed painter are fairly similar. It might be worth upping the damage to d6, at least for when you build a statue in seconds and get it to smash a guy in the face, or get the king's crown to scalp him. There's a surprising amount of versatility in the class, which I like.

If you need some new moves, maybe binding spirits and souls into art, Dorian Grey storing of debilities and problems in an artwork, or an upgrade of some of the existing skills.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Rayjenkins posted:

Now all we need is a Dio and a Jotaro playbook. Wait is there anything remotely close to something like Jotaro? Seems like a psychic monk/fighter type of theme and that'd be cool.

Jotaro can be done surprisingly well with a fighter who's signature weapon is Star Platinum (Close, Reach, versatile, huge) with some multiclass clock mage stuff.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The game is really designed around doing a dungeon crawl in a lot of ways, rather than high fantasy adventures saving the world. It works well for it but the classes don't always fit. Pretty much every base class aside from the ranger can do some really crazy poo poo to the narrative early on anyway.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You guys would all go for a character class thats a thinly veiled adaptation of The Witcher, right?
Already got one, made by boing.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94zELwEwdHsR3JTX1Vaek1FeHc/edit?pli=1

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was about to suggest making a new class based on the first thing I saw on my desk but it was the cover of a Neil Gaiman book.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Peas and Rice posted:

The Edgy Author?

gay man.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That strategy is going to stop as soon as a Defy Decapitation appears.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really like that there's room for creating weird new races with the harbringer. Is there an outright human race, or is that just something you make with the heir/harbringer/squire/overlord?

Edit: Overlord is amazing, best DMing system ever, this is literally the Cucumber Quest RPG

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I'm suddenly overcome by the desire to run a Dungeon World game again.

I spent a good portion of the day idly coming up with a setting that is basically "Inverse World, but the islands are suspended on the branches of a World Tree with Sola at the top." Cloudseas covering a mysterious surface with various legends as to how/why it became uninhabitable (though nobody has seen it for countless ages). Frog people who fish the cloudseas; crow people who were important traders before the development of flying machines and now struggle to find a niche; sloth people who are overwhelmingly employed mining the tough bark of the World Tree (a renewable resource) that is used in place of metal in many applications. (Also, the "human" stand-in are Folk, basically just a mish-mash of various humanoids that don't really consider each other to be different species. Want to be a dude with webbed toes and cat ears? Sure, you're just Folk like everyone else.) There's a desert island that is freezing cold and perpetually nighttime because it is always shaded by the leaves of the World Tree--it never gets enough rain for vegetation to grow because it can't make it through the immense canopy.

I'd run it right now but I'm neck-deep in a 13th Age campaign that is probably going to go on for a while. :ohdear: Maybe I can start running sessions in between 13th Age story arcs.

This is way better than my idea, which is Venice with banks to rob instead of dungeons everywhere, and there's a skeleton mafia. I'd love to see an etrian odyssey style setting.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a couple in the OP, the Immortal might be the most appropriate.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpYjE5b3pzOUs0NFE/edit

I think this is the newest version.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fenarisk posted:

Lately been in a very old school dungeon crawling mood. I haven't kept up on recent supplements for DW with real life stuff going on, but has there been anything specifically for things like darkest dungeon or big rear end dungeon crawls? If not I'm thinking just something along the lines of a few custom moves for dungeon crawling, maybe a new way to unlock prestige classes too.

Dungeon Crawl Classics is getting a new printing, it might be what you want.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
90% of podcasts are comedians relating cum to 90s media, swearing won't be an issue.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You'd be worse off not swearing. Your main concern is just getting an audience, which might be too much bother.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Make the lava a consequence of loving up, and use defy danger when working against the magma flow.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Macdoo posted:

It may be a little forward thinking but has anybody made a Dungeon Meshi mod for DW yet? Where you cook the monsters into tasty meals?

It'd be hard to do in DW because you don't really have the built-in need for rests you do in D&D. That said,

when you prepare a monster for cooking, describe it and roll+int On a 10+, pick 3. On a 7-9, pick two.
-You overcome the defenses of the monster's biology
-the meal is palatable to everyone in the party
-you save useful parts to be used in other meals
-the meal has magical benefits

They need some mechanics hung off them and maybe a better stat.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best cook class is the Maestro from a few pages back with food as an artform.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Try some attacks that aren't about straight-up damage, like wrestling or sentient vines, or target other people and things, so he has to respond and put himself at risk.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
With WOD you could set up a San stat for doing mythos stuff like using eldritch spirits for spells or resisting insanity, and just have real freaky consequences for failure. There's only Defy Danger in WOD and it uses gold=xp so custom moves wouldn't work, but it fits well with the character disposability, skills, abilities and magic system.

There's also Black Stars Rise, which is a horror game with an interesting approach to damage (Basically Moves get damaged and turned into an inferior version) and you can develop specific insanities from failing those. It's not a perfect system since having specific, yet random insanities often doesn't fit with what's going on, but it's an interesting twist on the formula.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hallucinogens.

"Holy gently caress there's a spider with a human face crawling on your arm, what do you do?"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Check out and liberally plunder Inverse World's Captain playbook, and maybe even Apocalypse World (preferably 2e's) vehicle rules.

You could really just give the ship a Str, Dex, Con stat as well, and then apply the basic moves to it, and give the Int,Wis,Cha to whoever's in control at that moment. No need to reinvent the wheel, although the stuff that's been established is pretty solid.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best part of this approach is you can play as a sentient boat now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So far he has apparently made every possible mistake you can do without involving sex or politics.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I try to keep track of how many times someone does a move, and then work to keep it fairly even. It's really drat hard to balance that stuff though, especially with varying levels of enthusiasm.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Glass posted:

so we had our first session last night, and it went pretty well! I was fumbling a bit with remembering which moves applied when (in particular, i got spout lore and discern realities backwards about 3 or 4 times) but i imagine that will get easier with practice. i did have a few questions, though:

- based on one of the 7-9 outcomes for the wizard's Cast a Spell move, am i correct in assuming that a spell that has been prepared can be cast multiple times (assuming it hasn't been forgotten due to said outcome)?

That's how it works, you pick what spells you have ready, and then can keep using them until you trigger the 'lose a spell' consequence.

quote:

- i had a druid shapeshift into a hawk and attempt to grab a skeleton by the eye sockets and rip its head off. besides being :krad: i didn't really know how to handle this move-wise -- my gut was to do a hack and slash roll, but +Str didn't really make sense so i had her roll+Dex. How much detail should i be putting into the moves for the druid's animal form? likewise, is using the character's base damage the right thing to do when they're shapeshifted?
The druid move is really kinda busted and weird in play. It basically gives the druid GM moves, where they get some hold they can expend to do an Animal Thing. I have no loving idea how it's supposed to work in play, and it really shouldn't be phrased as Moves, especially when they don't work like Moves. Having "Be an Animal" works fine as an end result of the move, and just let it happen fiction-first and apply pre-existing moves to it (When in Doubt, it's Defy Danger). You do want to stick to the base damage unless you really like Elephants.

quote:

- someone chose a (two-handed) staff and a shield that grants +1 armor as their starting equipment. using both at the same time doesn't really make sense to me in the fiction; they did one hack and slash with the staff with a 7-9 outcome and used the armor value of the shield to deduct one from the damage they took. Should i have not allowed them to use both at the same time?

In this instance, I'd let them roll with it. Unless I've missed something the only playbook that gets that combo is the Cleric, and that staff doesn't do anything special aside from be 2 handed. If you're unsure how he uses a shield with a staff, ask him and let him come up with something cool. Or it's a buckler or something. If you're thinking something's strange in the fiction, ask a question about how it works, before saying no. If it was a giant great sword with a damage boost, or a fighter/paladin with crazy Armour already, I'd probably answer differently since that can just lead to some really high numbers.

quote:

- everyone wanted to fill in all the bonds on their character sheets at the very beginning but in the first mini adventure we did the characters were kind of paired off beforehand and the two pairs didn't really know each other prior to meeting outside of a cave. am i within the realm of good GMing to retroactively revoke the bonds between characters that hadn't met before?

I hate to be kinda rude about this but that's really not what you should do. If they've written that stuff on their sheet, they actually Have met before, and that's something you should change your story for, rather than take away player agency. Either change the story a bit (in an instance like this, it doesn't have to be big, just make it a coincidence that they met people they knew) or tell the players "I planned the start, can we tweak the bonds to represent this?"

quote:

overall, i think everyone had a great time. i really really like how the system turns underspecification into a strength instead of requiring every detail to be fleshed out beforehand.

Nice

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Shapeshift is just a really dumb move in general, DW needs a 2e to fix a bunch of stuff like that

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Berkshire Hunts posted:

anyone have opinions on any of the druid rewrites floating around and whether they address this satisfactorily?

The only dumb thing about the druid is the Shapeshift move, the rest of the class is really neat. It doesn't get all numbersy and gets cool magic options without vancian spellcasting. I don't know if it's worth the hassle of sorting out improved classes or whatever.

There really needs to be a Dungeon World 2e, there's a lot of stuff that needs a fix over what's a really cool game otherwise.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The main thing I'd change for 2e would be Hack and Slash, it's a straight numbers move without a strong connection to the fiction. At least a harm move or making it a seize by force style thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Making Seize by Force a hold move is really interesting, I'd like to see how that works out in play.