Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been DMing various games forever and have bounced around between systems, AD&D, D&D 3rd, 3.5, Pathfinder, D10 White Wolf, etc.

Recently played Blades in the Dark and while I struggled to adapt to some of it, the change in approach to rules was really fresh and got me really excited. Talking to goons about it, lots of them suggested Dungeon World.

Well here I am and finally my group decided to go back to a fantasy game so we're playing Dungeon World. Last week was character creation and the first session, and tomorrow will be the 2nd. I ran the first without the rulebook and it seemed to go pretty good, I only missed a few details like gaining XP on 6- rolls. I've got the rulebook now and plugged the holes of my understanding.

I think in my experience lots of groups want to pretend they're the hardcore D&D nerds who will numbers crunch and defeat the tough dungeon, but in practice, especially as adults with a day job and lots of other things to do, most players barely spend any time on their character sheet between sessions. And as such in games like D&D you either just let things be forgiving or otherwise the game can potentially be punishing if people didn't invest the min/max time. You also have the issue where one player can steal the spotlight because they did min/max and the other players don't have the time or aren't as interested in digging into the rules.

Dungeon World is much more what most people want from D&D, I think. The actual part people always get excited about; the stories.

I'm a big fan of D10 Mage because of the freedom that improvised spellcasting gives you in roleplaying. Feels like it really lets the players do what they want, instead of having to figure out how to do it within the rules and the moves your character is given.

Dungeon World (and other PBTA) seems to really get to the heart of that, but for more than just magic. Even a warrior can be totally creative in DW. Fiction first, rules later.

Anyways :words: but DW seems cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Second session went well, and I've got lots of ideas for things written.

The hardest thing in my experience so far is improving an answer for the 7-9 results sometimes. If its 10+ I just let them do the cool thing, if its 6- then they fail and I can make them take damage or whatever, but sometimes with 7-9 its like, how in this circumstance do I create a drawback?

It depends upon the action, and some times its real easy to do. But just other times it really puts you on the spot as a GM. But I think I'm doing fine.

One thing that occurred to me is that with DW a larger party should be pretty okay? With D&D I usually have a hard cap at 4-5 PCs because growing the party past that means rounds take forever and people check out during combat when they aren't going, which creates negative feedback as people then take longer to take their turn when it comes around since they weren't paying attention, which makes it take even longer to get to their turn, so more people check out.

But with Dungeon World having no hard turns or initiative order, you're free to have a few people play who aren't as experienced that could be like your Merry and Pippin who hang around and make jokes but don't necessarily participate in all the battles. Or maybe they do and they mess something up, or they get taken hostage or whatever. I could see having a larger table and it not being such a big deal, although you do still have to keep track of people's character backgrounds and bonds and such.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kneelbeforezog posted:

Where are most games for this usually run?'
How alive is this game? DnD6e can learn so much from DW imo.

In person? On Roll20? IDK however you do tabletop games.

Its... played? It does feel like most of the custom content was made by goons, but people do play it.

That said, I think a lot of people either aren't into DW and stuck with D&D, or if they're willing to try PBTA systems and DW, then they ended up moving on to other games that are less trying to re-create D&D and more embrace a roleplaying-first setting.