Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
You guys need to hurry up and finish inverse world so I can give you money. And then I can reboot my campaign using it.

ThermonuclearTom posted:

Using Adventures on Dungeon Planet and hopefully those wicked looking mount rules to give everyone a dinosaur mount.

There are awesome mount rules somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Isn't all the super power mage stuff handled by ritual?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Heart Attacks posted:

Can anyone clarify how the -1 ongoing from the cleric and wizard spellcasting 7-9 result works for me? Can it be nabbed multiple times and stack, or is it like, once you pick this, pick other choices going forward?

I think the move specifically says you can only drop it to +1. So you can stack it to that point.

I added a house rule that if they wanted an ongoing effect they took a -1 that was not effected by that cap.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Whats the power level of some of the newer classes compared to the original ones? I am joining a new group that is using the classes from base DW and I plan on using one of gnome7's classes. Since I'm new to the group, I don't want to drop in and completely overshadow everyone elses character.

Right now its a toss up between dragon mage, [s]clock[s] Mask mage, or survivor. I think they have a druid, bard, and maybe paladin.

Edit: Meant mask mage when I type clock mage.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 10, 2015

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

On a related note, I was thinking about running a one shot for some friends, can any one recommend a good pre gen adventure?

I was thinking about grabbing an old AD&D adventure and going from there. Had any one made any good pre gens for DW?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have the reverse problem, the group I'm DMing for has a DnD guy who really really wants initiative. And attack rolls for enemies. (Although that was largely my fault for how I was handling groups of enemies. I've now been treating groups as their own thing, instead of three things, and it's been much better)

One of my favorite battles I ran in dw was against a swarm of goblins who I decided attacked like waves, they would flow in and crash against an enemy and then rush out.

I used the group rules from the dm guide (I think) so instead of the PCs rolling damage they just rolled how many they killed.

They didn't actually do enough damage to hurt the paladin so I just pinned him down under 30 or so of the little bastards and them gleefully start sawing away at the straps that help his armor together.

... drat I miss this game. The way combat flow is just the best.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

gnome7 posted:

If you want to do a straight replacement of some of the core playbooks, I'd do something like this:

Replace Barbarian with Dashing Hero.
Replace Bard with Artificer or Collector.
Replace Cleric with Lantern.
Replace Fighter with Spellsword.
Replace Paladin with Templar.
Replace Thief with City Thief or Walker.
Replace Wizard with Witch.

Keep Ranger, Druid, and Immolator. These three playbooks could be replaced, but they're perfectly good as they are tbh.

And that should give you a pile of playbooks that keep the same feel as the core dungeon-delvers, while generally being better designed. This is usually how I do it when I play DW these days - I compile a list of 10-12 playbooks I like that feel good together, and present those to the players to pick from.

Why the witch and not the mage or the mage variants?

E: And how do you feel the "revised" core classes compare to the ones you have written :v:

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 8, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The trick I find is to always give them something to react to, something that can't just be solved by hacking at it.

"The ogre rips the tree out of the ground and hurls it at your head, what do you do?"
"The birdman grabs your sword and flies out of reach, what do you do?"
"The giant picks up your halfling buddy and hurls him at your head, what do you do?"
"The 20 foot tusked sea-hippos are charging your wizard, he'll be squished into a fine pulp - how are you gonna save your mate?"
"Whilst your party Head is trying to head off the Head of the Giants, the Giant Head pulls off his giant head and hurls it at your party Head's head - what do you do?"

This is my favorite part of dw. Throwing a problem at the players that the can't just straight murder and having no idea how they will beat it. My favorite was I put them up against a time golem when they were exploring a wizards tower. Couldn't hack and slash it since it could see a few seconds into the future and knew what your attack was going to be.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How did they beat it?

Pretty sure each player attacked one of the four arms simultaneously while the cleric prayed to his god (conveniently the god of time) who took him out of time entirely long enough for him to grab the scroll from the golems mouth to deactivate it while it was distracted by the other players.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm really surprised that there weren't more heroic fantasy aw hacks. I figure someone would have tried to de-d&d fantasy aw.

Only one I can think of is fellowship.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Sanzuo posted:

How does everyone handle rations? I think if you are out of rations you simply can't use the make camp move. But what if you need to travel? Are you stranded? How long until you die of malnourishment? Does it matter?

Honestly unless it's super relevant to the fiction like being stranded somewhere or being trapped in a dungeon I don't ever bother with rations.

I tend to have a more heroic high fantasy style of play where details like that just don't matter to the group most of the time.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Has anyone done a hex crawl game with dungeon world before? A buddy is starting a West marches style game and I'm trying to sell him on dw instead of some osr retro clone.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

thefakenews posted:

Perilous Wilds is good for map crawling (doesn't really use hexes) in DW, but I kind of feel like West Marches style play is kinda antithetical to DW's playstyle. The original West Marches games used 3.x D&D from memory. The reason was because West Marches relies on having the various locations be pre-created and able to be revisited, and having the world operate in a very consistent way (so all the players experience a consistent world, regardless of which sessions they take part in). That doesn't necessarily gel with Dungeon World very well.

I don't think areas would have to be pre-created besides maybe a quick one sentence description. What I think would be more important is mapping out where the players have been. First time they go to the ruined keep to kill a troll there would be a lot of blanks about the layout etc etc. If they go back to clear out a kobold nest, then they would already know the basic layout and structure of the area.

admanb posted:

I dunno. I think the core concept of WM being a singular world that can handle rotating groups of players works quite well with Dungeon World. You lose a lot of the danger of WM games, because DW is fundamentally heroic whereas D&D tends to not be, but it still works.

Isn't that something that could be easily tuned? If I want a grittier and more dangerous game wouldn't I just be aggressive with my hard moves?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Overemotional Robot posted:

Ok, well I am typing up something now on what I am tentatively calling "Game Master Camp." I plan on linking a survey here to see when the best time to host is. I'll also have a write up of what we're going to do and what you'll need if you want to participate. If you just want to come and spectate / ask questions, that's fine, but I'm hoping to give some of the less seasoned GMs in this thread a controlled outlet to practice the craft and all of us a forum from which we can learn best practices from one another.

I would be in for this. And willing to toss :10bux: your way

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I've always partial to "another arrow thumps into the <cover> you are hiding behind. Out of the corner of your eye you see one of the lightly/heavily armored men/orcs/elves moving to try and flank you"

Player 1 what item are you currently transporting/searching for?
Player 2 who did you piss off bad enough that they sold you out?
Player 3 you hear a wizard chanting, what kind of spell or ritual are you about to be on the wrong side of?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Whybird posted:

The other thing to remember is that if your inspiration flags, it's OK to ask the table. If a player rolls a 7-9 on a Defy Danger to, I don't know, jump over a hole, you can just ask them "OK: you have succeeded, but something has gone wrong. What is it?"

I do this all the time. It also has the perk that players will come up with much crueler ideas then the GM and the players seem more open to them then if I were to suggest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I would be down for this.