Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Lets talk Druid Animal moves for shapeshifting. Here's what the book says:

When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+ hold 3. ✴On a 7–9 hold 2. ✴On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger—a housecat will find it hard to do battle with an ogre. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you’re out of hold, you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Animal moves just say what the animal naturally does, like “call the pack,” “trample them,” or “escape to the air.” When you spend your hold your natural instinct kicks in and that move happens. If you spend hold to escape to the air, that’s it—you’re away and on the wing.

First of all asking the GM to come up with moves can be tough, especially with PbP where you may be looking to perform that move in the same post. Secondly there are some questions here, Should these moves require rolling ever? Can they/should they be as powerful as standard class moves? What if the GM doesn't give me the move I intended?

I have a system in mind that essentially uses tags to describe animals, and each tag grants a specific move/benefit. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

Wahad posted:

I've been playing an Initiate with Shapeshift as a Multiclass move in the PbP "Looking for Petryloch". So far, it's been working out great. The moves the GM gave me were interesting, and didn't need a roll, but I also use the occasional Hack & Slash as said animal or a Discern Realities.

Coincidentally I just wrote up an app with an identical setup (initiate with shapeshifter), although an entirely different background. I guess I feel like there may be times when your GM doesn't give you the move you were hoping for and you end up slowing things down by discussing specifics.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Druid stuff has come up multiple times before, so here's a condensed version of how it works RAW:

Monster moves are incredibly easy to come up with; they're a single-sentence action description like "drag them off to your lair," not a full-blown player move.

No, they do not ever require rolling. You spend hold and they happen, just like a monster just makes their monster moves happen.

They are monster moves, not player moves, so they behave exactly like every other monster move in terms of power. If you change into a giant snake that has the "swallow them whole" move, you swallow an enemy whole when you spend your hold to use that move. Yes, that makes the Druid powerful.

You're turning into monsters, so if you "intended" to have a move you're presumably turning into something from the back of the book, at which point your DM should just give you the monster stat card rather than coming out with a whole new set of monster moves just for you. Keep in mind that "flying" or "breathe underwater" is not a monster move; it's a thing you can do naturally as part of your form. If you turned into a giant snake with the intent of swallowing something whole and the DM doesn't give you a "swallow them whole" move, behave like an adult, talk to your DM and tell them what you were trying to accomplish by turning into whatever you turned into.

I guess what I'm saying is that most animals aren't listed as monsters in the book, so it may be worth putting together a list of moves that an animal could have access to.

wrl fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 27, 2013

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
I guess I feel like it should be up to the player to decide what move(s) he wants, and up to the GM to decide what benefit/hindrance that move incurs.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
The creators are doing an AMA on reddit today, probably wrapping up soon, but there are some interesting topics covered here.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Not sure why, but I decided to try and make a Summoner class. Here is what I have so far. I'm aiming to make the summoned creatures feel like a combination of the Ranger's Companion and the Druid's Shapeshift. Short lived, but capable of a large variety of Moves. You could outfit a Titan with "Crush" and "Throw" or outfit an Air Elemental with "Shock" and "Disperse".

The purpose of Summon Mundane Item is to create an alternative to Adventuring Gear (you'll notice that the Summoner does not come with any). Much more versatile than Adventuring Gear, but with a higher probability of... interesting things happening.

I think my favorite part about the class concept is the potential for hilarious 6- results. Enchanted ropes that try to strangle people. Instead of summoning a water elemental you summon 5000 gallons of water into the room. Etc.

Let me know how you think it all would pan out.

wrl fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2013

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

Androc posted:

After way too long, I finally managed to get the Summoner uploaded. In case I didn't say it before, thanks again to this thread for all the feedback.

e: ^Well, this is some awkward timing :v:

Let's take this outside, broski. Jk, I like how we've taken totally different approaches. I'll still plan to polish mine up to offer an alternative.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
I had a couple issues with the variations of Swashbuckler I had seen, so I started working on this, The Swashbuckler. Let me know what you think. Still working on language issues and advanced moves.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

wrl posted:

I had a couple issues with the variations of Swashbuckler I had seen, so I started working on this, The Swashbuckler. Let me know what you think. Still working on language issues and advanced moves.

I've made a PDF. Still needs lots of work, but I wanted to share regardless.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Hoping to get a one shot going tomorrow afternoon over Google Hangout. Noon to 4 EST. If you are interested, check this out.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

Rusty Kettle posted:

How often are games played on Hangouts? I bought the book, a few classes, and invested in the inverse world kickstarter in hopes I could convince some of my board gaming friends to make the jump into RPGs, but I don't think that is going to happen. If you guys don't mind a complete newbie to RPGs, let me know if a game is going to be played and I'll try to clear my schedule around it.

Check out the community on Google+

They run games fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Was messing around with some monster-as-character ideas and started whipping up The Treant for fun. Not even close to done, but comment/enjoy.