Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wow I forgot all about my assassin class. I should do that when I final edit/ clean up my leader class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Been working and prepping my new campaign setting and dungeon world mods for an upcoming summer game, and the players are living it so much they've convinced me to flesh everything out and put it up for sale sometime in the fall. Here's a little tidbit of an optional mechanic I'm adding in that fits for my players:

When you defeat a formidable enemy or fearsome creature, or conquer a place of great danger or mystery gain 1 legend. Legend may be spent 1 for 1 on the following:
*gain an appropriately themed item of great power
*gain a valuable piece of lore or knowledge
*gain an artifact of signifant value and wealth
*gain significant sway or prestige within a local population center

Basically it's a way of giving a secondary resource of "legend points". Besides leveling up from story/quest xp the killing of powerful dungeon creatures or clearing a dungeon/discovering its secrets gives legend points that can be spent by characters to customize what kind of rewards they can get, either on a combat, social, or political level to invest in their character or their linked organizations or safe havens. Yes, it is like WoW justice points where the inspiration is from but it's a cool way to get player input on gearing or lore input.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That seems like it would make more sense as a resource you spend in your down-time to go questing on your own, rather than something PCs can just spend like that to gain benefits seemingly out of thin air.

I forgot to mention that legend is only spent during down time along with the carousing move and such, so it would be once players get back to a city or home base and have time to polish up and study over items or tell their tales to gain the benefits.

The other resource they can acquire are unnamed as of yet but basically when the character dies they can gain a resource that allows them to make major major declarations in a big way. It's all designed for a very exploring focused,early world hexploring styled game.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 30, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Racials I like but never really cared for alignment, so I'm using the motivation concept as well.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

One of my players wants a very Indiana jones styled character, just without the whip. Any cool move ideas?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks, I might mix dashing hero and thief in his playbook.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok so my player who likes Indiana Jones/Sherlock Holmes likes the Bard as a base, but the campaign is for a much more low magic/pulp campaign. Arcane Art is easy enough to swap out for a more 4e Warlord/Martial approach, but I'm looking to swap out "It Goes to Eleven" and "Metal Hurlant" with something more lore based or research-y, possibly even helping him delving into ruins and getting away with the treasure/knowledge. I don't want to crib any thief moves as he can multiclass into things like lock picking or trap finding, so I'm kind of at a loss for some interesting replacements.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 7, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Alright, finally finished up The Assassin, let me know what you think in terms of flavor/balance it'd be greatly appreciated as it's a class I've made tailored for a player in my group.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?rk4p28dsja86u3l

Edit: Cleaning up the playbook file on the third pass and I might release the inkscape file for people. I cleaned up the Leader a lot, and if both are pretty well received maybe I'll try and get on this "sell some playbooks" train.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Thanks, I fixed the crossbow typo and also changed Rapier to something else. I'm debating changing the wording for World is My Weapon to just saying "you add the precise tag to any one handed melee weapons weight 1 or less" but that seems wordy.

I personally like Master of Disguise because of the fact that there is a very, very similar power in Legends of Anglerre and my players usually only waited a turn or two to use it, and the upgraded version for 6-10 could make for crazy escapes or ambushes. I guess I'd have to see how others use it in play.

Prowave Tierdash posted:

Yeah I'll change it to a +INT roll and lower the amount of questions to ask. Thanks!

Edit:

Unblinking Eye
When you take sufficient time to research a target, name the person you wish to learn about and roll +INT. On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions, on a 7-9 ask 1. When acting on the answers you and your allies take +1 forward.
*When are they vulnerable?
*Who are their allies?
*Who would pay to see them dead or disgraced?
*What is the greatest obstacle I would have to overcome to reach them?
*What secret do they harbor?

Starting Gear
Crossbow changed to: Crossbow (piercing 1, near, 1 weight) with 3 Bolts
Dagger and Shortsword changed to: Dagger (hand, 1 weight) and Garrotte (hand, 0 weight, silencing)
Rapier changed to: Short Sword (close, 1 weight)

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 7, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yo Shamblercrow, one of my players today really wants to play the convict, is it cool if I make it into the playbook format and post it up here with credit to you?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

What people said about classes are good, but I want to point out that some advanced moves can (and possible should be some straight + bonuses mechanically. It's a nice way to flesh out a lot of moves based on doing more fleshed out abilities or powers, and quite frankly some players aren't as good at delving into heavy fiction and want to see bigger numbers or just plain succeed more often. Some players like a straight mechanical bonus to the few moves they like to fall back on and that's fine.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Cool good to know we're back to "playing the game wrong so get out" mentality bro.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yo Shamblercrow, got somethin' for ya'

THE CONVICT

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?f9loce988jnqvju

It's a little cramped for my taste but whadya want for 20 minutes in Inkscape. :effort:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

InfiniteJesters posted:

Be sure to add 'Riddick' to the name list. :black101:

This could be a very, very fun playbook for the right campaign.

Oh hey look at that I left the names and look spot blank damnit. I'm not home at the moment, I finished it last night and just remotely popped up the link. I'll try to finalize it properly tomorrow. Also for the playbook symbol I'm taking suggestions because I was thinking shackles but that's really hard to do.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Hahahahaha gently caress you :fuckoff:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I know the defacto answer is probably "Campaign Cartographer", but is there any other good (best if free) mapping software that can create randomized world maps or terrain? I'm wanting at least a base continent for my hex-crawl styled DW game coming up soon but the thought of loading up and re-learning CC3 after a few years is kind of daunting.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've decided to compile a playbook pack of t own to sell, because why not. "Martial Prowess" is the theme, and it'll have my posted and revised/cleaned up The Leader, The Assassin, and I'm adding The Brawler (a grappler/wrestler type) and The Smith of Legend, a sort of martial take on wizard as well as 4 to 6 compendium classes. If anyone has any other advice or play experience with The Leader or The Assassin please let me know!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Androc posted:

So, after what feels like ages I'm finally sitting down to edit the Arcane Duelist for release, and I'm having some difficulties with Inkscape. I've installed both the minion pro and copperplate gothic light fonts, but whenever I open a pdf of some other class, the ability (not header) text has some problems: everything is capitalized and there are a number of sorta messed-up looking characters. The same issues continue to occur whenever I try to edit or add text. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I hope you guys liked the Cursed Knight, because I sure did and I'm working on a new base class:

Break Free
If you would reach +4 corruption, instead roll +cha. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one and the GM chooses one. On a miss, you completely lose control.
• Lash out at an ally
• Corrupt something or someone else
• Break something important

The first time you use Inkscape it does that, as its intelligently trying to figure out stuff. The first time you really mod a sheet and redo a portion of it to work takes awhile. If you want I can just post my template, it's based off the official and goon playbooks and enough people are doing it now I really don't think it matters, all it does is save time for the community.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Thoughts: This is not a bad idea, and is the direction I'm actually going to take with my own *World hack after IW is out and in people's hands. You're stealin' my unvoiced ideas I never told anyone

When I first got into DW This was my initial hack, as a sort of mix between Dungeon World and World of Dungeons. It came out kind of like a Savage Worlds styled DW Hack (basic character sheet, taking moves from different categories where characters could multiclass/pick what they wanted). In the end I felt that 1) it didn't come with niche protection, unless you used "trees" for advanced moves the base moves, and made it so only one player could pick a move, and 2) it really slowed down character creation.

Not to say it's a bad idea, as it's precisely what I'm doing with my Eclipse Phase hack that's actually working out fantastic, but it does come with some drawbacks if speed and niche protection are the order of the day for the game you're looking for.

I'd personally love more conversation and debating on the design of classes, monsters, moves, etc for Dungeon World.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok, a bit of my own design philosophy from what I've seen from "good" DW classes and where they can go.

A good DW class has a base idea, let's take the Bard. The starting moves should really give a feel for the class and be the baseline along the basic moves. Now, when advanced moves come into play, there should be at minimum 2 kinds of Bard you can turn into, sometimes 3. What I mean is that there are some Bard advanced moves that are more damage oriented, while others are more support styled team oriented.

It's a lot like 4e D&D Classes. Sure, there can be two fighters, but one being a sword and shield fighter and the other a two-handed weapon fighter are completely different builds in terms of powers and playstyle. Good DW classes have two distinct styles, so you can either go full option A, full option B, or a mix of both. Add in the multiclass move and it really expands a lot. This is why the base fighter kind of sucks in my opinion, and though the improved fighter fixed a bit of the boring aspect it could use another 2-3 different advanced moves that flesh it out into something more defendery imo.

It was one of the things I want to address with a Cleric styled after how good the 4e D&D ones are. You have a support, diplomatic, peaceful cleric who really aids the part (shielding cleric), a stand in the back and smite things with divine powers cleric who boosts the part a little (laser cleric), and an in-your-face mace and shield cleric who heals those fighting alongside him (war cleric). Something like that would thrive in DW, and all it takes is splitting the appropriate advanced moves up for each subset of the playbook's niche.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks for reminding me brah. It's the base for The Leader which I finished for a player in my group, go hog wild.

Page 1
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h4ezdxg93jlo7ck

Page 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v6efv36tb5c5055

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lots of Assassins holy cow.

Admittedly I've decided not to sell any of my playbooks as A) they're pretty much tailored for the players in my game, and B) they do crib some moves here and there from other sources. For instance I changed my Assassin to drop two of the bland + mod's for something more evocative, and flat out stole The Walker's freerunning move since that was the last thing an Assassin Creed's style class needed and it was really elegant. If anyone wants to steal my poo poo go nuts, if I ever sell anything DW related it'll be setting only.

I will however only post them here. I'll post the edited/finalized "The Assassin" on Thursday along with a cleaned up "The Leader", and I might have a rough draft of "The Brawler" which is a close combat fighter based on unarmed combat and wrestling style moves (much like 4e brawler fighters). In truth I've been going gung ho on my own DW setting for my own game, and finishing up my Eclipse Phase hack which is in it's final stages before releasing to these forums.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

That Rough Beast posted:

Assassin's always seemed more "compendium for thief" class to me, but YMMV. I wonder why I haven't seen more ninjas. As for monetizing playbooks, I'll probably throw all the ones I've been working on up on DTRPG at some point just to justify the hours of my life I've wasted tweaking them.

When I think Assassin I think mobility, sneakiness, and the wit and charm to actually track down a target, which offers a lot more move variety than the thief in my opinion.

Part of the reason the Inverse World playbooks are so good is because they are tailored for and thematic for the setting. The more settings that come with their own "core" classes the better.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Something to keep in mind too that if you don't want to delve crazily into all the 3rd party playbooks, you could always crib some parts to just make Compendium Classes. They're the easiest (and in my opinion most elegant) way to customize characters per the fiction in your own game world, and grabbing just the really important 2-4 moves of each of the 3rd party playbooks would mesh very well with any "core" class, be it the Gladiator for the Fighter or the Assassin for the Thief.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Someone on G+ posted a really nice campaign playbook. I wish I'd finished mine first.

https://plus.google.com/112258979021033246325/posts/Zv19cVz8uMb

Looks really really nice, but the d100 thing is a little jarring, although very useful. I personally really liked the World of Dungeons method of 2d6 or 1d6 being really quick easy tables.

Still, a really great resource.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wizard's Are Weird

When you embrace the odd, the strange, and the bizarre aspects of magic's innate chaos to the dismay of others around you you may use INT instead of WIS for Discern Realities.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Oh man someone released a free brawler before I did. Some of the ideas are cool and similar, I'll see if I can get mine into final PDF form tonight.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

CAN YA DIG IT!?

YEEAAHHH BUDDY!

(I feel I'm getting a better handle on making classes a little more distinct and moves a little more fun than just some +1 forwards, etc)

The Brute: An Ode to Hulk Hogan, Kool-Aid Man, and Ronnie Coleman. Also that big guy who likes rabbits and keeps a dead mouse in his pocket.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?45p0pbgan2hxfyp (updated version post-comments)

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 13, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

sentrygun posted:

Muscle Mania is a strictly better H&S, or at least it is if you take the first 'On a hit' line. The two 'On a hit' lines conflict, and since a 7-9 is considered a hit you can choose to open yourself to their attack and take a benefit for free because you open yourself to attack anyways. I feel like a grapple-style move should be cool and manage to do crazy stuff without needing to include damage, kind of like the Initiate's Sublime Understanding.

Changed to:
When you grapple or pummel an enemy using your immense strength or bulk, roll +STR. On 10+ choose 3. ON a 7-9 choose 2.
*Deal your class damage
*Grapple the enemy fiercely, keeping them pinned or restrained
*Use your might to toss, flip, or knock the enemy down
*Prevent the enemy from attacking back

quote:

Picking three on Snap Into It! is absolutely bonkers and is letting you do way too much with one success on a non-hold move. A 10+ should be good, but not "heal, temporarily ignore negatives against you, scare your enemies, and also make the party sandwiches" good.

Changed to:
When you dig deep to fight through the pain or forge ahead in times of terrible fortune roll +CON. On a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick 1.
-You shake off a debility or enchantment momentarily
-You heal 1d6 hit points
-You boost the morale of allies or hirelings nearby
-You terrify nearby enemies, shaking their resolve or their effectiveness

quote:

Neither of the backgrounds grant a mechanical benefit. Ways you got where you are now are cool and all, but every other class in the game does that and gets something cool to do move-wise too.

They're in this new version!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?45p0pbgan2hxfyp

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 13, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

sentrygun posted:

This still allows you to beat out H&S outright by choosing deal damage and no retaliation on a 7-9. Looks like the PDF version put it at 2 and 1 though so that's better. :toot:

Yeah I decided 2 and 1 was a good happy medium. While it is a little better than Hack N' Slash, keep in mind it is one of the basic perks/moves of The Brute, and the class damage is only at a base of d8 to try and compensate.

As an aside, I've decided to compile all my past, current, and soon-future playbooks into a goon omnibus (reformatting all to have Drive+Background). Right now it has The Assassin, The Leader, The Brute, and three more I've yet to finish before just releasing it all free here:

The War Mage: A conversion of the thematic elements of Controller Wizards from 4e D&D
The Devoted: A conversion of the thematic elements of a Laser Cleric/War Cleric from 4e D&D (Depending on Advanced Moves taken)
The Guardian: A conversion of the thematic elements of a Warden from 4e D&D

(I felt these were the classes that were different enough from their Dungeon World equivalents and also had enough flavor and options for full playbooks)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How so? Yeah, the idea is that it's core to the class and the Fighter should be able to use it all the time; it's pretty exciting to have the DM roll max damage on a big monster and just go "no, I take no damage from that." I'm not seeing how it does too much, though - it's a single move with a single effect. Or do you just mean it's too good?

Add me to the "too strong" bandwagon, at least in my opinion. I'd almost make it that if it's a shield it's broke and gone, or armor will take "a significant amount of time to repair by a skilled blacksmith". That way if the player uses it more often for little creatures who lower the AC you can say a day or so, if it takes the brunt of an ogre boss's pulverizing smash it could take multiple days. Plus you're limited by what the GM considers "skilled" given the fiction of what happened to the armor.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah I can do brawler for you dawg.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

E: also cheers to fenarisk! Both for the inkscape template (total lifesaver; I wouldn't have had a clue how to make this without it) and also for letting me have the Brute name :yayclod:

Glad it went to good use man.

Only critique I got is I think giving a 6-10 move as an option for a starting background is a little too "strong", but that's just me.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

As a side opinion, I think Background and Drive are nice, but I think in some settings Race might be just as good too if each of the races have a cool thing they can do. Personally I wouldn't mind if somehow Race, Drive, Background, and Bonds all fit on the side but I know that's smooshing it somewhat from a design perspective.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Looking to finish up/clean up my previous playbooks and the new ones by the end of next week, so I'm wondering where the best place might be to host them for free. Any ideas, or should I just petition Sage to throw them on the official site? I personally don't mind the free bit since it's mostly been a learning experience and a stepping stone if I want to point to them as a reference when/if I do a setting or ever finish my Eclipse Phase conversion.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really like the slayer, and it could have some really fun compendium classes. Definitely would look great in a fleshed out playbook.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Am I missing something on Preparation being a core thing in the DW book or is it something from one of the playermade playbooks?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Letting the Ranger be the cleric worked for my group. Otherwise nobody wants to be the healer (and sometimes that's OK).

The one thing that still bugs me is how much better a healer/support class the Bard is rather than the Cleric, but that's more an issue with the Cleric vancian casting nonsense.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So after literally 4 or 5 rewrites and concepts I'm inquiring to goons on what you'd like in a 4e Warlock conversion.

One playbook with a lot of options and the ability to select one of 3 Pacts? (Fey/Infernal/Star, meaning the playbook could be within 3 pages rather than 2)

Or multiple playbooks with each one being a Pact? (The downside to this is there may not be as much variety in moves/flavor if it's shoehorned into INFERNAL FIRE DUDE or GLAMOURS AND TELEPORTING DUDE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

A warlock, in 4e at least, uses powers, boons, and curses tied to the Pact, which influences the playstyle a lot. A fey pact warlock plays completely differently from an infernal pact warlock (one does a lot of teleporting, debuffing, and being sly at range while the other does a lot of straight up damage, boosts defenses, and sucks up health from enemies). I think I may just make an infernal pact and fey pact playbook, otherwise it would be cramming two different archetypes into the same playbook and forcing a 3 page playbook (that doesn't make sense if the warlock looks to start double dipping anyways).