Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Just a note for the OP, I've updated my wight a little and posted it on the codex. I felt the 1d4+2 was a little too scary, so I upped the hit points and made it a straight 6 for a little more "swinginess" in the wight's damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Okasvi posted:

I think he was going for eastern shamanism.

Full disclosure. I might be talking out of my rear end since most of this comes from manga and other Asian pop culture + Wikipedia and I don't have the appropriate background in cultural research, so take all of the following with a grain of salt. But I was under the impression that Asia has a long tradition of organised shamanistic religion, and a bunch of old empires, which resulted into a bunch of civilized spiritualists. Like the japanese onmyoji or the chinese wu, for example.

So you're basically skipping half of the world's shamans by focusing on the european/native american version of shamanism.

Can't there be city rangers and city druids too? People good at surviving in an urban environment? Caretaker of wild dogs and rats and cockroaches?

That being said, I think wu fits the trappings of a naturalistic and primal spirit talker that LC was going for. Onmyoji are more diviners and geomancers than shaman. The original (Siberian) word shaman was pulled to mean a person who talks with spirits.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Nihnoz posted:

Try getting a bunch of poets and artists to play DW then.

What I find helps in any ApocWorld based system is to mix in more obscenities. This works well in Dungeon World, too.

Also, if you have a fighter in your party, the boringness of their class will shine through in the "I hit that with my sword." Same to a lesser extent with the Rogue if you're not careful. The druid, the bard, and the wizard have been great all-around.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Silentman0 posted:

So I'm running a program at my local library to teach young teenagers how to play RPG's and I'm running Dungeon World. I typed up this quick thing for them to refer to when they make a character.

Yes? No? Add? Subtract?
I'd add some more color based on established tropes and media references.

Also, tone down the wacky and the choices, I'd tell them to pick from the character sheet to speed things up.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Also, in my (admittedly limited) storygaming experience, it's the limiting of choice that engenders the most creativity. Removing the "Anything you want" option helps kickstart the brain somehow.