Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

So me and 2/3 of my players are moving away in a few weeks so I decided to kick our campaign into high gear and try to reach a satisfying conclusion before we're forced to quit. I had previously set up a worldwide conflict among the Elves (who have demonstrated some rather unsavory practices re: orc lobotomies), a high druid Green Dragon who controls an orc horde, the existing Human Empire, and a race of Apes that would come to power in the future and lose a war against the Elves (according to a time-traveling ape from the future, at least). I went into the last session intending to deus ex machina a few levels onto the PCs, a result of the meddling of a trickster god, but I decided to offer them a choice among personal power (levels), magical artifacts, or - and this is where I'm tripped up - Quantum Leap powers (I ended up giving them the levels too because I wanted them to have at least one Advanced Move before we were done).

Things almost immediately went off-rails, with the party traveling all the way back to the dawn of man (the point where humans came to power and apes were forced into the jungles) and establishing themselves as gods by killing an entire species of giant, carnivorous goats. We probably only have 2 or 3 more sessions before they get to the end of this and I want to do it right.

Can you guys help me come up with a DW move to represent this nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Glazius posted:

When you try to change the future, take -1 ongoing to any further attempts to change the future and roll +stat. On a 10+, hold 2, otherwise hold 1. On a 6- the GM holds 2, on a 7-11 the GM holds 1, on a 12+ you were a real careful bastard, weren't you?

Spend hold based on the stat that rolled it, 1-for-1, to:

STRENGTH:

- destroy some structure so that it never existed
- win a battle that was otherwise lost

DEXTERITY:

- build a structure where it never existed before
- create or bypass an impenetrable lock or puzzle

CONSTITUTION:

- a people bear a burden that would otherwise break them
- a structure stands that was doomed to fall

INTELLIGENCE:

- spread an idea before its time, or quash an idea in its time
- create or unwork a devastatingly intricate spell

WISDOM:

- destroy a lie, replace it with the truth
- though a great calamity happens, keep death from following in its wake

CHARISMA:

- spread a lie regardless of the truth
- guide a nation through its leaders to some end

madadric posted:

Here's a companion move for actually traveling through time.

Time travel
When you travel through time describe how you travel, and what time you intend to appear. Roll +int.

On a 10+ choose 1

On a 7-9 choose 2

On a miss, the GM chooses 3.

-Something you did had unexpected consequences in the future
-Your meddling has been noticed by the caretaker of time
-You don't arrive exactly when you wanted to
-You knowledge of historical events was misinformed
-Another time traveler is actively working against you
-Your ability to time travel is disabled, until you complete a task. The GM will tell you what.

Thanks, guys! I will definitely work something with these. Like I said, the players caught me waaaaay off guard, and we strayed so far off the beaten path that I wasn't happy with my ability to improvise. Giving some structure to this insane power should keep things on track toward a satisfying resolution, instead of a bunch of frankly insane vignettes.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Hoping to run an experimental/exploratory one-shot on Sunday. I did an ongoing campaign with DW last year, and I'm wondering if the current rules are the state of the art for PbtA high fantasy. Any interesting hacks or mods I should review before I tell my players to dive in?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of lethality and encounter-building in DW: because the game supports improvisation and introducing new threats on the fly, even during a single encounter you can easily use your monster moves or DM moves to adjust the difficulty of the encounter. I know I'm personally guilty of sometimes just using 6- results in combat encounters just to deal damage to my players, but in a given encounter you'll usually have so many different moves to fall back on that you can change the flow of the combat really quickly I'd need be.

What do you guys do to make sure the players have a fair chance of logically predicting the potential outcomes of their tactical decisions?

I know that all of my moves as a GM should flow from the fiction, which is easy enough, but for example, say a character on a horse swings his sword at a bandit and rolls a 6-. Maybe the player was banking on soaking up some damage as he wades into combat, but I declare that the bad guy dodges under his blade and clambers up onto the horse. This puts the PC into a new difficult spot that player couldn't necessarily have predicted as an option, especially if they're coming from a more rigidly mechanical game like D&D. Is that fair? Do I owe it to the players to make sure they let me know what all the potential downsides are for their moves?

Following that thread a little further, what about soft GM moves that are completely impossible to predict, but still follow from the fiction? For instance, same player rolls a 6- for his sword swing, but instead of the bandit climbing up onto the horse, the noise attracts the notoriously brutal town guard to come break up the fight. I don't know if I want the player to feel responsible for getting the entire party beaten and arrested just because he rolled poorly one time, but maybe it's important to me that the PCs eventually come into contact with the authorities, for whatever reason. How much am I obligated to keep my responses to 6- rolls on the same scale as the action attempted? Maybe I just answered my own question.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Is it worth getting? I know the sci-fi hack I was using for a few games used a sort-of classless chargen process, but I worry that unleashing all of the playbooks together will bring my group right back to the 3.5 minmax pit I just pulled them out of, even if there's no real advantage to spending extra time on optimization.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Ratpick posted:

A person on a Finnish RPG forum PM'ed this to me: it's advice on running a really tight Dungeon World one-shot in the space of four hours, suitable for conventions and demo scenarios.

https://plus.google.com/113677679278469240206/posts/C57G9mh7s5s

Reading it, it's really solid advice, and as successful as my last run at running convention games was I wish I'd had as clear a structure as this to work with while running those games. Definitely going to make use of this in the future.

This is very helpful. With the way my group is structured, my semi-weekly games usually end up being just a series of interconnected one-shots, often featuring brand new PCs. It's hard to stay focused toward a goal in our 3-4 hour timeframes, especially when I'm usually going in with zero prep. This template should make things a bit more coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

BIND TO HORCRUX - Level 9 Ongoing
Choose a target object small enough that you can lift it. As long as this object remains intact, any time you would roll for Last Breath, a roll of 6 or less becomes 7. You may only be bound to one Horcrux at a time. If the object is destroyed, immediately take 1D8 damage.

I have lore that suggests otherwise.