Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Foo Fighters is a really good supporting character. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Begemot posted:

My personal favorite is Heavy Weather. Rainbows that turn people into snails and/or snail-human hybrids via hypnotic suggestion that causes de-evolution. Clearly, this is the ultimate application of weather-control powers.

They weren't actually turning into snails, they just thought they were. They would end up dying somehow anyway though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think I'm liking SBR the best of all the parts so far. I really liked Part 6 but that ending did things to me. :(

Also, here's a cool video that I don't know if it's been linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCk2udVFvo

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Soulcleaver posted:

It's pre-Stands but I think part 2 is kind of underrated. When people talk about their favorite Jojo moments, the chariot race with Wham is at the very top of mine. You have a steroids guy who can punch sunbeams fighting an ancient Aztec proto-vampire named after a lovely 80s pop group in order to get an antidote from his nose ring, undead horses, a gargantuan crossbow that humans can't even cock, a stone pillar used as a weapon, improbable aiming skills, and a guy deliberately and permanently blinding himself to avoid being fooled by his eyesight. The amount of back-and-forth trickery is astonishing. One might even say... bizarre.

Also, Joseph is easily the best Jojo there is and I've never heard a rational argument to the contrary. He's such a masterful bullshitter with his obnoxious personality, combat gimmicks, "Your next line is..." It's just a shame that he's so useless in part 3; I would have loved to see him do some crazy stuff with the Ripple like he used to.

I like to show this clip to people to instantly turn them into Jojo fans.

I definitely agree that Joseph is one of the best Jojos, he's really fun and I loved all the psychological poo poo in Part 2. Jotaro and Jolyne definitely both have their place though and I'd be hard pressed to order that Top 3. :shobon:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jotaro is far less of a goon in later parts, though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke is a really boring character, too, though. I don't think he quite holds up and Part 4's ensemble feels a lot weaker and lacks the overall direction Jotaro and co. had.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke just feels like a typical high school manga protagonist which isn't really what I'm looking for out of JoJo's. v:shobon:v

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Keeps_On_Slippin%27

Literally all there is to it. The lovely translation made it sound more complicated than it actually is.

This is literally the best King Crimson explanation, except that Diavolo can mess with the inbetweens. The end.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

A stand so complex they made a thirty minute cartoon to explain it!

If the anime ever gets to that they should just play that episode of Futurama instead of animating any of King Crimson's bullshit. :colbert:

On a different note, I'm really enjoying the fight with Axl Ro/Civil War in Steel Ball Run.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I feel ya, Part 6 is probably going to be the peak for super wacky stands for a long while, and that is half the appeal of Jojo to me.

So none of SBR's or JJL's stands were wacky enough for you?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You may have posted that in the wrong thread.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'd kill for some not-90s animation, especially given how well Parts 1/2 were done.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I have to wonder if Josuke is going to beat the poo poo out of Tsurugi at the end of this or not. We haven't had an ORAORAORA since the beginning.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Everybody in the Hoshikage family is already hosed up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Speaking of weird things, how on earth did that Alternate Diego in SBR have a stand, anyway? It didn't seem like other worlds had any stands.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The art in monthlies for SBR looks really good, though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

And also because people keep 'moving' during that time, similar to the time jumps from Futurama.

This is literally it. That Futurama episode.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Actually this discussion reminds me that Hi Wa Mata Noboru never did last month's JJL chapter and hasn't released much of anything recently, which is a shame.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ignore any of their explanations because you already figured out how it worked.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's very unlikely that Pucci is in fact part of the SBR universe since there's no concrete evidence that the original one reincarnated as it. Also I'm pretty sure both of them just ended up back at Green Dolphin in what amounts to five minutes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Looks like Norisuke's stand might be able to disassemble things.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's still the unresolved mystery of who the other half of Josuke is, so we'll have to see. After all, his birthmark is made up of two different star birthmarks. :)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If they don't use Roundabout again I'm going to be very disappointed. :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

What I'm getting from all this is that any stand that powers up enough gets to mess with time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Didn't Giorno lose Requiem at the end of Part 5 anyway for reasons?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't think it's going to melt non-living matter since it's a virus.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jo2uke appears when someone makes the sailors reference instead.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Araki likes to add emphasis to words. That's literally all it is. More emphasis.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Wasn't this chapter a bit short for a monthly series?

A lot of the pages were actually two page spreads.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I just noticed this really but Norisuke's hair seems a lot like Valentine's except with those weird bubbles in place of the swirls :tinfoil:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Uznare posted:

Stands were explained by science in Part 5, actually. They're the result of a microorganism/virus/thing that was dormant inside the meteorite the Arrow is made from. Though some stands can awaken out of sheer determination much like Tonio's. It's not super consistent, but in general the Part 5 explanation holds up most of the time.

Didn't the meteorite thing come from Part 6 when that one guard could summon meteors and told Jolyne about it or something?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Joseph managed to make a pigeon come out of a lady's mouth using the Ripple, and Caesar could control body movements with it. It's not like it was COMPLETELY useless.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I really like Jolyne! I wish there were more girl main Joestars though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That doesn't make sense when you think about how that affects the fight vs. Dio (e.g. he was only able to stop time for a second against him at first, while I'm sure finding a cigar and all that other stuff would take longer, especially since he wasn't able to stop every knife.)

I do think that D'Arby flipped the gently caress out because he thought Jotaro could stop time like Dio, though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

How do tv shows get away with referencing things most of the time?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wait, what? How did I never hear about this? I'm checking this out.

EDIT: Ok, I found the stuff you found plus what I think is the ladybug. It's the bottom part of the symbol between the two hands with the Js on their palms that Hermit Purple is coming out of.
It looks like maybe half of the horseshoe is above the arrow. It's the left half and it tapers off into a design with two spheres.
I wonder if there's a Jojolion reference?

The horseshoe might be the bit surrounding the ladybug.

Also it's possible the little star ball near the top is representative of Gappy.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kabanaw posted:

I get the feeling we're at least nearing the halfway point of Jojolion. I think SBR took as long as it did because it was originally planned as a weekly series but then partway through switched to monthly. Jojolion is still probably going to be running until 2017-18, but we're starting to get answers and fight actual antagonists.

There is no way this is only halfway through the series.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's 9 episodes, I'm sure you can handle it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Part 6's translation is okay afaik? It's a really good part, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah no because that would make the animation nosedive

• Locked thread