Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cerebral Bore posted:

then Buccellati sure as hell is the protagonist for Vento Aureo.

Far as I'm concerned, Vento Aureo is pretty much Le Bizzarre Avventure di BruBu and no one will ever convince me otherwise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cerebral Bore posted:

We all joke about it, but to be honest, it's true. Bruno is the leader of the gang and thus the one handing out orders and generally running things, Bruno is the one that gets handed the main quest, Bruno is the one that gets to throw down mano e mano with the Big Bad, and to top it all off, Giorno would have been nowhere near any of the plot if it wasn't for Bruno being impressed enough with him to accept him into the gang. Also he's got the coolest Stand and battlecry.

Yeah, I wasn't really joking about it :v: It's not even just that most of the story revolves around Buccellati and his actions; Giorno also just felt pretty unimportant to me. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but as I recall, he was really only involved in a handful of fights after joining Passione. Of course that all changes when Araki gives him godmode so there's some way to stop King Crimson, but up until then Buccellati is the real driving force and Giorno's basically just the team medic.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

mikeycp posted:

Now I have completely finished Part 3, and I come to a crossroads.
Do I read Part 4 in English, or DUWANG? (Probably English)

Eh, if you're reading it for the first time, just stick with the rescans, they're very well done. Duwang is lots of fun, but I think it'd be better for a re-read so you won't be distracted from the story by lines like "Last crime done even the rats in the toilet will puke because of its sickness nature."

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Spacedad posted:

There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Actually, this is explained as Jonathan's body developing a stand with the same utility as Hermit Purple. It doesn't really come up again, but it does give Dio and Joseph awareness of when the other one is watching them. I don't think they ever show him using it other than right before everyone boards the plane with Tower of Gray on it, though.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Nessus posted:

Perhaps The World is the harbinger of things like Soft and Wet. You get weird poo poo if you combine 2x2 "Joestars." e: But only one DIO

I'm thinking of it as something like this: despite Jonathan's body developing its own stand, maybe it still had a degree of influence over what Dio's stand turned out like. So, even though The World is Dio's stand, its similarities to Star Platinum could be explained by Dio effectively having Joestar blood running through his veins.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Nah, Aqua Necklace is its actual name, or at least that's how all the official artbooks and such translated it. I'm not really sure what the reference is supposed to be, although the Jojo wiki purports that it's referencing 'Aqua' by Asia which I really don't know about.

Also, just for reference, its Duwang name was 'Silver Chain.' Dunno if that was a Duwang translation error or just an error that came from the original Japanese -> Chinese translation, though.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Groghammer posted:

Romi Park is one of my favorite voice actors and she did a really good job with Narancia.

Romi Park's voicing Koichi, actually. Narancia's voiced by Yuuko Sanpei, and is probably my personal choice for best casting so far, because goddamn.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Pocoloco's horse's name was also Hey Ya!, so I wonder if the horse is supposed to be some kind of extension of the stand or vice versa, or if it's just Araki forgetting that he already used the name. Or maybe Pocoloco's just supposed to be terribly uncreative.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
IMO Jotaro is a really boring main character in part 3, but once he's relegated to a supporting role he becomes infinitely more amusing. The "Too bad I'm going to have to break it, your face that is" bit is some top-loving-tier writing.

RatHat posted:

I don't think that was the translation, I think even Araki got confused how King Crimson worked.

Honestly King Crimson isn't a hard stand to understand at all, but the piss-awful translation of part 5 makes it a lot more complicated than it is.

That's really the main issue with the translation, it reads in mostly legible English, but the translations are muddy enough at points that it obfuscates the hell out of a lot of stuff that's actually pretty simple. It's worse than Duwang but in a much stealthier way.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

ArcadePark posted:

Just start from Part 3. Part 1 and 2 can be largely ignored.

This is crazy :psyduck: Part 1 is hardly on the tier of JoJo arcs after it, but it's not like it's some unreadable slog and it's only 5 volumes/10 episodes. And Battle Tendency is easily one of the best arcs, even if the Ripple became almost entirely pointless after it. Why deny yourself an awesome ride just because the way they fight changes afterwards?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Nah, Jonathan's body had its own stand. It was visually similar to Hermit Purple and was what allowed Dio to keep tabs on the crew and what let him know when they could see him. The World was all Dio.

And who knows, maybe the Red Stone gave Kars a stand that let him do all the ultimate lifeform things and we just couldn't see it. Araki could certainly retcon it like that if he wanted :v:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

WickedHate posted:

I don't know, it's fishy that both stands ended up being just like Johnathan and Jotaro's. It's like Dio hacked into the Joestar DNA and got Joestar stands.

I mean, Dio's very existence is so inexorably intertwined with the Joestar bloodline to the point where he practically is one. If you take that into account, it's not really surprising that the stand he was able to manifest is so similar to Jotaro's.

As for Jonathan, I've honestly got no idea why his soulless, lifeless corpse was able to manifest a stand, unless it's because he's still technically "alive" to some degree. But the reason it's effectively identical to Hermit Purple would almost have to be because of Jonathan and Joseph's times as Ripple users.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

WickedHate posted:

It's not like any other JoJo has such similar stands though. Platinum Star and The World are basically palette swaps.

Crazy Diamond is also really similar to them, especially in design, but the reason the main Jojos' stands become so dissimilar from Star Platinum and The World is just because of the shifting tone of the series. Araki branched way out after Part 3 and made fights far more focused on characters utilizing their really varied stand abilities rather than just "get in range/stop time, punch real fast and hard."

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I do not recommend skipping any part of Jojo at all. Honestly I don't even get it, every part of Jojo works together to create a beautiful interwoven tapestry of ridiculous oneupsmanship and amazing poses.

Also even the worst part of Jojo is way better than most anything else you could read, so why deny yourself the experience?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Yeah Part 6 really isn't more of the same. It's, as I recall, a little stilted but it doesn't ruin the character writing and/or obfuscate the poo poo out of everything like part 5's current translation does. Also it's got a great JoJo (my personal favorite), a great main cast and some really cool, weird stands.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Also physical copies of most of part 3 are actually pretty easily accessible anyway. Amazon and Crunchyroll's store carry everything but, for whatever reason, volumes 6 and 8.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

darealkooky posted:

in terms of pure volume, the bits that are fighting take up wayyyyy more then the few bits that aren't

compare that with part 3, where three entire volumes (and part 4 is longer then part 3) are spent gambling or playing videogames. Also, since there are more short fights in part 3 instead of the single dudes that take 5-10 chapters each being the standard in part 4, there's a lot more introductory bits to set up each stand user to further add to the arbitrary "time spent not fighting" number.

Wait if you don't count the D'Arby chapters as battles in their own special Jojo way, how do you count a lot of the fights in part 4 as such?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Also BD/DVD sales aren't everything. If they think it has an impact on manga sales, or SAS/Statue Legend sales, that'll also factor into its likelihood of continuing. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless something more official makes a part 4 adaptation sound less feasible.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Nessus posted:

Are they getting a per-view payout from Crunchyroll? If that comes out larger than BD sales to us round-eyed devils, then that would help Part 4, not hurt it.

They don't get a per view payment but the way CR does it is like, a certain part of your subscription fee goes to the production companies and it's based on what you watch, so if you subscribed and only watch Jojo, they'd get all of that money. I kind of doubt that would have a significant factor on continuing it though, it's probably a relative pittance.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Actually Jojo's monthly now. Allow me to offer my deepest condolences

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
King Crimson isn't really hard to understand at all I don't get why it became such a huge thing to pretend like it's that obtuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Yeah the translation really muddles it and I think they contradict themselves more than once, but there are plenty of concise explanations of it now and people still tout that stupid "it just works" poo poo

• Locked thread