Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

mikeycp posted:

Now I have completely finished Part 3, and I come to a crossroads.
Do I read Part 4 in English, or DUWANG? (Probably English)

I read Part 4 in DUWANG and was laughing my rear end off the whole way through, so I'd say go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The whole feng shui thing was of one of the craziest battles in the whole series, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RatHat posted:

^^^^ I read it recently, the translation was fine. The scans and typesetting were what was terrible. Maybe some questionable grammar in spots though.

He's just a really calm and collected Jojo, that's all really. He has some really sick :iceburn:s too.

Jotaro is the kind of guy who tries way too hard with his :iceburn:s so instead of sounding badass he just sounds incredibly goony. I like to imagine he delivers his quips in some heavily-affected Christian Bale Batman growl too.

That's who Jotaro is, he's a goon who can also break every bone in your body like a twig. And that's what makes him so awesome.

Edit: If I remember correctly Part Four Jotaro has a line like "Nice watch. Too bad I'm going to have to break it. Your face, that is." to Kira (in Duwang it's "You have a nice watch, but you will never see it again, because I will destroy it in a second, and your face", which is almost an improvement in that delightful Duwang way). If that isn't the lamest quip you've ever heard then I don't know what to say.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 21, 2013

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

IMO Jotaro is a really boring main character in part 3, but once he's relegated to a supporting role he becomes infinitely more amusing. The "Too bad I'm going to have to break it, your face that is" bit is some top-loving-tier writing.

I'm not denying that it's brilliant. It's such a lame quip that it wraps all the way around to being genius.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

mr. stefan posted:

The ever-increasing specificity of JJBA powers will reach a head when the next JoJo's stand's sole power will be to create comically-oversized bath tub drains on any surface.

You laugh, but you can't deny how handy that kind of ability would be.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
That's kind of like the guy in Part Four who could fold people and things into pieces of paper too.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm so excited to see the final battle in GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR. Just trying to picture it is making me giddy.

We still don't even know how many episodes this series is going to be, right?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Waffleman_ posted:

Pizza.

Just making so much pizza.

There's a little pizza place I pass by every once in a while called "Gigio's Pizza". Except I keep misreading the sign as "GioGio's Pizza" and just think to myself, "Did you give up on your dream so soon, Giorno?" :smith:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kabanaw posted:

I don't think it was ENTIRELY out if nowhere. Jotaro didn't start developing his time powers until he found out about DIO's. At that point I think someone had also mentioned how similar the World and Star Platinum are. I think it's perfectly reasonable that Jotaro put two and two together and found out hey, he can totally stop time.

I figured Star Platinum was doing time stop stuff without Jotaro necessarily realizing it the whole time. Like the part in the D'arby the Gambler fight when Jotaro gaslights D'arby into thinking he messed with the cards by moving other stuff around, in hindsight it really reminded me of when Hol Horse confronted Dio and Dio used The World to just reappear right behind him.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The hell? People are actually saying this? Did they even consider that it would be pointless since they aren't fighting vampires anymore?

You can do a lot of other stuff with Hamon too! Like shoving a whole pigeon down someone's throat :v:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Broniki posted:

I found Killer Queen's extra abilities pretty contrived. So it can charge things to explode, that is cool and has a lot of potential uses. But then it also has an autonomous heat-seeking bomb tank, which has infinite range and is invincible because ???. And then it can open its stomach and carry another stand inside itself. And it can also cause a time-loop with reality-warping and precognitive powers?

The way I interpret, Killer Queen's ability isn't strictly "make things explode", it's "protect Kira's identity at all costs so he can live a quiet and peaceful life". Bomb No.1 does this by allowing Kira to destroy any evidence of his crimes without a trace, and Sheer Heart Attack does this by allowing Kira to take out threats to his safety remotely and without revealing his identity. These are the initial manifestation of his stand ability, while Bites the Dust takes it to its logical conclusion and gives Kira an almost ironclad way to safeguard his identity.

Being able to put Stray Cat in its stomach is an rear end pull though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

amuayse posted:

Is it true that the arrows are made of midi-chlorians or something?

Well, the arrowheads were carved from a weird meteorite, if that's what you're referring to.

Proof that Stands are actually aliens! It all makes sense now, why the arrow couldn't pierce Mikitaka, he was from the same planet the meteorite was from :tinfoil:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Butt Ghost posted:

My scans of part 5 just transitioned to the bad translation. This is nearly unreadable. I mean, everything's in English, but not in any way that makes sense. I feel like they just translated this super-literally. I'm surprised that this is an Ignition One gig. I don't recall their translations of parts 1 and 2 being nearly this bad.

If I'm correct in recalling my JoJo trivia, it isn't translated super-literally, but rather the exact opposite. Like, the people doing the translations outright couldn't read Japanese with anywhere near the level of fluency demanded by a translation project, leading to them doing a lot of :effort: stuff and outright making poo poo up because they couldn't read the words on the page well enough. And not even in an endearing way, like the duwang guys, just in an incredibly :geno: way.

That's the reason why, for instance, nobody in the English-speaking world knows how King Crimson works.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Nessus posted:

As I recall, Duwang was duwang as hell but got the actual plot right if you scrape past the rat gutter sickness sex crimes, while Part 5 was plausible and grammatical but also wrong.

In short, Duwang is the way.

Also, the degree to which the English language is so broken and mangled in the Duwang translations provides a lot of its charm. Because the Vento Aureo translations don't have that "quality" they're just stiff, bland, and awkward.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

KidDynamite posted:

Good drat that was intense. I complete forgot about Aya and didn't think Kira would go there. Man this is going to be amazing as they hunt him down. Question how come Star Platinum's The World is so short? Shouldn't it have been able to level up as Jotaro got stronger? Or was it kept in check as to not Deus Ex Machina out of every single fight Jotaro is in?

Also Jotaro isn't Goku and didn't spend all his time after Part Three training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to get stronger. He's got a life and a career as a marine biologist now, so even though he's still swole as gently caress and has one of the most powerful Stand abilities it's atrophied a bit from lack of use. The length of The World continues to decrease throughout the rest of Jotaro's appearances. IIRC in Stone Ocean he could only stop time for about two seconds. (Part Six spoilers)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DicktheCat posted:

Four testicles.

Maybe more.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Aurain posted:

My favourite Jotaro bullshitty thing is that he beats Enya because Star Platinum can breathe in Justice, even though Enya's goal is to get Justice inside JoJo to control him and there's nothing to suggest Star Platinum can do that prior to that.

Star Platinum is basically the Silver Age Superman of Stands. Or was that Golden Age Superman who would always show off bizarre powers like super-knitting and then never need or use them again?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BlitzBlast posted:

No fusion vest, no sale. :colbert:

Just take the last image by itself and pretend they used the fusion earrings instead :rolleyes:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

A little disappointed they kept the plot hole about "nine men and women" when one of them is a bird.

Maybe one of the hooded figures was just Pet Shop standing on the head of a really short person?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why couldnt Josuke hit Okuyasu with Crazy Diamond and fix his brain?

Okuyasu's brain isn't broken, he's just not very smart.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Part 6 is pretty gory as well.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His finger twitches.

DAMMIT that's subtle.

Also digging the OP music, putting the 3 vocalists from the past OPs together makes it sound like a JAM Project song. The ORAORAORAORAORA bit is pretty cheesy though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It doesn't really look at all like Cell after either change forms. Sounds like some definite fan rumor stuff, but I don't honestly know.

Also I don't know why Araki decided to do it but Part 6 would have been improved by lesbians.

Cell and Echoes were both based off of the cicada, that's why they share some visual similarities.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Darko posted:

Diavolo is okay - he's on top and he knows people are always out to get him, so he thinks the best way to stay safe is to make sure no one knows who he actually is. That means killing anyone who might know his actual identity.

Pucci is okay because if I ever decided to do JoJo's cosplay (I won't ever cosplay), there's someone that I as a darker skinned person can conceivably look like.

If you ever do decide to cosplay Pucci, good luck with the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it takes place in italy, where the gently caress was a Zeppeli. you're telling me Ceasar didn't have a couple of bastards running around?

If Caesar had illegitimate children they wouldn't necessarily share his surname! :eng101:

• Locked thread