Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Some folks in the anime thread complaining about the prospect of Mariah fanservice and it's all I can do not to post her face.

You know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah, wouldn't want to spoil it. I burst out laughing my first time. It's one of those things you just don't want to ruin.

Though now I wonder what they'll make of Alessi.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hol Horse & Boingo is six chapters, making a two-parter more likely. Lots of dialogue as well, though comparatively little happens. Dialogue's a big time eater.

Alternatively, Petshop's only five chapters with very little dialogue apart from Iggy's thoughts. What they'll probably do is finish him off early, either just before or right after the second episode's break, then jump right in to D'Arby the Gamer.

Aurain posted:

Vanilla Ice's third ep's second half will likely be the Suzy Q Joestar goes to Holly bit. There's also Shooting DIO that they're going to have to shove in between Alessi and D'Arby too.
Shouldn't be too hard, Alessi's also only five chapters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oingo and Boingo was also six chapters, was it not?
Four chapters, the first of which got stuffed into N'Dour's second episode.

Gonna be seeing a lot of overlap these next few episodes. Alessi will likely be introduced at the end of Mariah's fight, and Terence T. D'Arby after Petshop.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How can you have good anime fans when there isn't even good anime?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo is manga you baka gaijin.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Empire of the Rising Sun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: They also left Alessi alive even though he'd attacked a random woman.
Alessi's fate is a bit nebulous. The original fan translation has him "Punched into oblivion," whereas the VIZ localization says "Blown very far away." I imagine David Productions will give us a more definitive answer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Since the anime thread's trying to get an episode estimate on Dio, I figured I should post my proposed breakdown:

Dio's World Part 1 - Nukesaku, Polnareff at the stairs, the opening of the casket
Dio's World Part 2 - Escaping the mansion, splitting up, Senator Wilson Phillips, the chase through Cairo
Dio's World Part 3 - The secret of Dio's stand, Kakyoin's death, Joseph's "Death"
Dio's World Part 4 - "The same type of stand?," the magnet trick, knives
Dio's World Part 5 - The stop sign, Polnareff's sneak attack, heart-stopping, Jotaro's counterattack, Dio's recharge
Dio's World Part 6 - The fight over Cairo, WRRYYYYYY, "Draw," the ambulance, "Farewell, my friends"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Ending an episode right after what looks like we just lost two main characters would be pretty dickish. I hope they do that.
It would be the best.

Too bad there's no way anyone would believe Jotaro got shanked for real.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Putting quotes around the word "death" is inaccurate since he did die for real.
He gets better so he gets air quotes. I don't know how anyone discusses half these series without distinguishing between permanent death and temporary death.

mr. stefan posted:

This sounds like the most hideously decompressed poo poo ever and its that much of a reminder of how, as good as s2 is, stardust crusaders did not need to be a 4 cour series
There's a lot going on in that last fight. They could maybe squeeze it into five, but I can't imagine four or less without cutting huge swathes of material for time, which defeats the whole purpose of doing a faithful adaptation.

Parts 4, 5, and 6 should all also be four cours. SBR would be even longer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terence T. D'Arby may be a lot of things, but a dirty screenlooker isn't one of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always liked how Terence says, "My brother can only beat beat idiots and old people," then the panel cuts to Joseph and Polnareff looking concerned.

Then after beating him Jotaro remarks that his brother would've caught on to their shenanigans immediately.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something else that should be said for SBR: it has the most human bit-part bad guys. As much as I enjoy Part 3 (probably my second-favorite part overall), the villains who stand in our heroes way pretty much exist solely for the express purpose of opposing them. Parts 4, 5, and 6 all make some progress on this account (Part 4 especially, since a lot of them wind up getting won over to the good guys), but it really isn't until SBR that they truly start to shine as characters in their own right, removed from the endless cycle of going up against the Joestar bloodline and getting royally chumped.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mike O. only tried to kill her.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

My ultimate goal is to wipe Duwang from history.
A crime even rats in the toilet will puke because of its sickness nature.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You can erase Duwang from history but you can never erase it from our hearts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

Let us know the overall quality of the thing when you guys get it.

I mostly hope that Speedwagon is still Speedwagon and not renamed for copyrights.
Just arrived this morning. Nice, solid hardbound cover with a glossy Jonathan Joestar. Speedwagon is still speedwagon, "The Meddler."

The volume ends with Dio donning the mask while under fire. I did some poking around and learned that the Jojonium release was compiled in such a way so as not to interrupt any of the fights (like how with Stardust Crusaders you sometimes got the first half of a battle in the latter third of a volume with the second half in the next), so they'll be some irregularities in length.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part 6: Egg Ocean.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Impressive.

I know this fight doesn't tend to hang with the "Greats" for a lot of people, but I like it just the same. Alessi's the best world-class weasel since Steely Dan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Interesting, in the previews last week the French subs used the "well done" translation for Alessi's catchphrase, but they went back to the one used in the French translation of the manga this week "you're/what a big boy (you are/I am)".

I prefer this one as it accentuates the creepiness.

Maybe "grown-up" would be a better term in English, rather than "big boy"? Telling kids they're grown-ups as a compliment, I mean.
VIZ Media translated it "Good boy," which is definitely the way to go I think.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Re: the anime thread, while I'm typically one of those schmucks who thinks the source material should rarely be deviated from, I would be pretty okay with David Productions changing things up so Alessi bumps into Joseph.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, SBR is pretty much universally adored, least among the people I talk to. Shame it apparently did poorly in Japan.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 1, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think in jjba's case 'poorly' is probably 'still fairly successful' for another series, so???

araki's immortality is secured
I don't have the numbers (though if you'd like I can dig them up), but yeah, some guy came up with the sales figures and SBR was the worst-performing part, though still reasonably successful by the standards of other series.

The move to Ultra Jump was at least partially motivated by this as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless Shounen Jump was much more lax in the 90s I'm not sure how Araki would have avoided being punted to another magazine if part 4 was not well received. Seems like another baseless rumor to me.
To be honest, this thread is the first time I've ever heard Part 4 was unpopular. Unless someone's got a source, I'm not sure I can believe it.

Speaking of which, SBR sales figures and such.

ChaosArgate posted:

Is this why Part 8 takes place in alt-Morioh?
Possibly. Morioh was based pretty heavily on Araki's hometown, Sendai, which took its fair share of hits during the 2011 earthquake. Most likely he'd always intended to return post-SBR, but the damage to Sendai probably strengthened his investment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When did Kakyoin grow a Vincent Price mustache?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Mochizuki Family's Moon Viewing.

It was pretty weird.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Wrong barby
It's D'Arby.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

D'Arby the Gamer should fit well within two episodes if they front-load his introduction at the tail-end of the Petshop fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Phantom Blood tops the New York Times best seller list for manga.

Pretty cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Another low ranking part 5-er. Why didn't you like about it? Was Giorno boring, or something else? I'm sad at how many people disliked 5, or at least in comparison to the other parts.
I enjoyed Part 5 immensely, but if somebody's gotta take the bottom then it's Part 5 for me. Starts off strong and continues well enough, but that last string of fights really sapped my enthusiasm. I've also never been a big fan of Diavolo, who was much more interesting before his reveal.

Of course the existing translation would also be a factor, "Bruno's the protagonist," etc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Where the gently caress is Santana? :argh:
Washington D.C.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

More art from that guy who worked on the OVA.

Honestly, D'Arby is one of those fights, if I could erase it from my memory to experience it again for the first time, I would.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's only recently become popular over here. Jojo's been running for nearly three decades.

Though I suppose Araki's fondness for Western music complicated things.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 16, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jotaro x Dolphin jokes are second only to MILF Hunter Kakyoin jokes in terms of terribleness.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Have you considered that you don't know how to have fun? That you are the guy on New Years Eve who refuses to have a shot or even a glass of champagne before midnight and stands in the corner eating crackers silently judging everyone for having a good time without you?
Fun and terrible are not mutually exclusive terms as anybody with a Dangan Ronpa avatar should know.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We take our 2D psychic musclemen very seriously here at Bad Seafood, Inc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Steely Dan would be unbeatable in a 1-on-1 fight, discuss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

If you killed him painlessly would Lovers even activate?
Considering there are such things as residual stands, it's possible, but ultimately unknowable.

That said if there were any Joestar to figure out some way to take him it would probably be Jolyne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please don't bully Okuyasu.

• Locked thread