Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We got the superior Zeppeli out of the deal so it's all good. As with all things Araki, just gotta roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Giorno died on the way back to his home planet Florida.

Such an odd typo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pomp posted:

Jonathan Joestar's stand is Anal Oppai, capable of creating little girls! Rank: E-

The anime thread's having fun with that stand generator but it's pretty underwhelming.

Though it very nearly comes close to reality when you can get it to spit out references to dinosaurs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While doing so is indeed quite mad, you can read its parts in any order and not suffer for it besides a few spoilers. The most significant I can tell being the epilogue to SBR getting folded into the backstory of Jojolion, so while part 8 is mostly its own thing, reading it before part 7 really is a bad idea.

Beyond that, though, I can't really bring any strong feelings to the matter. So someone reads it out of order like a crazy person, big whoop.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There's a decent amount of fan art I've seen on tumblr of the ghosts of Kakyoin, Avdol, and Iggy playfully interacting with Jolyne. It's mostly really cute!

This? This is not. This is pure terror.

He just didn't want his ol' war buddy to know he's still around, it's embarrassing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I finished reading Steel Ball Run last night and the final battle was amazing.

Lucy Steel ended up being my favorite character, as well as Stephen.

The Steels being compelling characters was not something I entirely expected going in, especially not the roles they would play. They were a pleasant surprise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Car Platinum

Gimme a brake.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know I'm shilling the DIO fight pretty hard in the anime thread, but it's still great.

Though the actual resolution to the fight is admittedly anticlimactic compared to launching an immortal into space via volcanic eruption. The fight though, was awesome even in the old OVA. Even the lead up to the fight has some great moments, especially when Dio's just messing around with Polnareff's head.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just put them in a closet.

And don't let your adopted brother put them on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like to think that Jotaro, after discovering how much he liked to punch sharks with his mindfists, decided to make it his life's work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But I just said that. :argh:

Forgetting to refresh before hitting Submit Reply is kind of like how King Crimson works, if you think about it.

So is leaving a tab open for hours.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's the poster they least expect.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back in the day, you used to hear about people skipping 1 and 2 and just starting with 3. (Which is also a shame, but understandable.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Probably just held together with magnets.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was this close to say something about needing a horse but there it is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

These are all pretty great, but what they're really doing is reminding me to reread All of Jojo Again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know this is treading on old territory here but I really, really hope SC part 2 uses Voodoo Kindgom for something. Like an insert song or a special ED.

Gotta have a taste of tha remedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uua_GIQsbqg

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Voodoo Kingdom was used in the awful Phantom Blood movie, I think. Hell, I'm pretty sure it might have been Dio's theme.

Yep. Which is why I hope they bring it back because it deserves to be rescued from the heap of shame. The single was released after the movie, so judging based on that and the lyrics I'm pretty sure it was written for the sole purpose of being Dio's theme.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still hoping for Sono Chi no Sadame in the final fight.

But yeah this is probably what's going to happen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You could tell Funny Valentine was lying because no matter what dimension you might try to escape to, the universe always has three constants: Time, Gravity, and dead Zeppelis.

:smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The end of Part 5 is so disappointing that the only noteworthy thing I can say about it is that it gave us a lovely meme.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is both disappointing and completely within expectations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The SBR->Jojolion universe is not the reset universe until Araki decides it would be cool if it were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some people just lend a veneer of shame to anything, really.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If there's one thing everyone can agree the old OVA did right, it was the DIO fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Archenteron posted:

D'Arby too, right?

Well you can't really gently caress up D'Arby.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When you read it you can just sort of blow through it, which is why things like the Anubis fights being good were kind of a surprise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It meets the dirty joke quota.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm happy with the fact that it exists at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All around the internet, everybody and their dog is comparing him to Hol Horse. Meanwhile I just want him to get a Dale Gribble skin.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Are they still on Namek?"

"Are they still on the boat?"

"Are they still looking for the basement?"

"Are they still trying to find someone to translate Jorge Joestar?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think on some level he does know, since he can use Hermit Purple in a wide variety of situations.

Dude just wants to bust some cameras.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's start translating oraora and atatata too while we're at it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what's english for "WRYYYYYYY"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"ARIARIARIARIARIARI.... Till we meet again!" --Bruno Buccellati

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm with those guys. It's fine to translate it when he's telling someone it's useless, but once it's being used the way Jotaro uses Ora ora, leave it be.

The choice to leave it as "Muda muda" in the Viz translation is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Because on the one hand you're basically going against translation best practices by leaving it untranslated. On the other, it's a deliberate choice to preserve continuity with that character's iconic battle cry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Like holy poo poo, how can you be so smug about an actual question someone had I will never know.

I don't recall anyone actually asking a question about it in either thread, just people giving opinions.

As for subs translating is more than fine, but since SC's being dubbed I'll be impressed if they translate Dio's battle cry into English and sell it. Because phonetically, that's a real challenge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Uznare posted:

I'm glad that people who'd only read the series before in scanlations are getting that smug over an official TL that's worse than the jankass scans of yore.

I apologize for making smug wisecracks in the Jojo thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope we can be cool

and friends

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

These gifs are strictly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've come around on the muda dubbing thing.

But it would be neat if useless-useless was repeated and obviously overlapping with itself due to audio trickery, maybe with some reverb on top. Like the audio timing was being manipulated a la his stand.

• Locked thread