Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Uznare posted:

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are the official names, as approved by the man himself and have been for a while. So that particular comparison is pointless.

Yeah but given all of Jojo's names is song or singer/band references accepting Esidisi over ACDC is dumb no matter how official the former is over the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There is a sort of hinting at it with DIO using Hermit Purple. That (along with SP's time stop reveal and The World's similar appearance to Josuke's Stand) suggests that DIO's powers are not his own but the Joestars'. So it's not entirely out of nowhere.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Maybe next Jojo will have a stand that is so complex in nature he could (and does) marry it?

Next part's villain's stand is his marriage itself, but the wife is going to divorce him so he has to carry out whatever villainy he's up to and contend with the part's Jojo under the pressure of the divorce paperwork getting set up and going through, forcing him to make desperate attempts to delay it any way he can.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 24, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

To ponder a question posed in the anime thread, I'm actually having trouble thinking of any part 3 enemy stand users who would be able to stand up against Dio, aside from Death 13 or The Sun, and Sun is still dependent on whether it's light would work on vampires or not.

I'm not entirely sure DIO needs to sleep what with being an immortal vampire and all so I'm not really sure Death 13 would be of much use.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

From the anime thread:

I can't wait for the Bast fight :allears:

You know how people have *that one stand fight* in part 3 that they just can't wait to see animated and have been waiting for it since Stardust Crusaders started airing? Bast is that one stand fight I've been waiting for. God, it's going to be glorious. :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Finished with Part 5 now. I'll just start with the obvious thing that absolutely everyone will have heard a billion times already:

What the gently caress was up with King Crimson?

I gathered it works like this: King Crimson constantly sees ten seconds into the future, and if he doesn't like what's happening there, he goes "NOPE" and starts evading. However, during those ten seconds, everything else continues as if King Crimson hadn't seen the future... only at the end, King Crimson erases that time so that nobody remembers, and kinda merges himself back into the regular timestream. Meaning he can do whatever he wants while everything happens normally - he stays in the equation, while simultaneously telling the equation to go gently caress itself and doing his own thing.

What I don't get is how he could kill Narancia. Previously, King Crimson only removed himself from the "equation" - he moves just to the exact spot to deliver a devastating surprise attack, he flicks his own blood into people's faces, he deletes the exact time that a bullet spends travelling through his body... Basically exactly like Dio's The World, only much, much better defensively. Goddammit, and just when I thought I understood that Stand! :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Uznare posted:

Yes it is, and you are loving awful for complaining about the original presentation of the manga. It looks perfectly fine, if not much better than the colored versions THAT ARE ONLY LEGALLY AVAILABLE ON JAPANESE ITUNES.

From the way he phrased it it sounds like what he's getting is greyscale versions of the colour pages, not the original black-and-white pages.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Stone Ocean, and most likely the ending of it, takes place in 2011. Jojolion also takes place in 2011.

Edit: I mean, it's never been explicitly stated, and it's possible that Irene isn't a part of the Joestar bloodline, but I highly doubt it.

She could totally be a Kujo and then a weird link between the Kujos and the Joestars is revealed in part 9 or whatever.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

There's actually a shitload of these for various stand powers. If nobody else posts them by the time I get home tonight I'll dump some of them.

Do it, I only found that one posted randomly in another thread.

:allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

What exactly is Mariah doing back there? :raise:

She's noticed there's a spider on the ceiling.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Joseph will never not be the Best Jojo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I was thinking of reading a new manga. I've heard this is good, can anyone give me a decent summary without much spoilers?

Ancient Mayan technology intertwined with a blood feud originating in Victorian England, drawn with fashion magazines as a primary source of inspiration. Things get titularly Bizarre fast.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

couwy posted:

This week's anime ep was very well done, but this kept bugging the poo poo out of me

Kind of a big goof to make considering how the fight ends.

I assumed he's supposed to be a fairly well-lit area but not in direct view of the sun so it didn't count. Every time we see the sun destroy a vampire they are viewing it directly, I think.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the advantages of manga over anime is that reading is instantaneous. Vanilla Ice is just as chatty in the source material as he is in the adaptation, but you parse his dialogue in seconds, making everything feel much tighter. Listening presents a longer time commitment, so it feels like everyone's just kinda hanging around waiting for him to finish.

Stuff like this bothers you less if you're willing to embrace anime on more theatrical terms though.

And on the flipside, manga gives you as much time as you want to take in a shot. I felt the first copper's death in part 1 where Dio just cut off half his head like that and killed the other guys with the flying body parts was much better delivered in the manga where you could just linger on the panels. Granted, there was also the censorship in the anime TV release, but I felt the pace of the action didn't help either.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Really, "USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS" is not as awkward as people say it is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

to say or to read? because it's not awkward to read but saying it is pretty much impossible in english because the repeated phonemes slur into one another and become indistinguishable. granted, that's only a problem for dubbing.

To read or hear. It would be awkward to say, yeah, but then so would a lot of "normal" lines in most anime roles.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I honestly don't know how you could dub it without stupid audio engineering tricks. I guess having a guy just say "useless. useless. useless." would convey the meaning alright.

Yeah, it would have to be less "USELESSUSELESSUSELESSUSELESSUSELESSUSELESS" and more "USELESS! USELESS! USELESS! USELESS!".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well I'm not going with the assumption that you match punches and USELESS one-to-one.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Could well be that they forgo credits from here on out except perhaps for the last episode.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It would make more sense to have the action-packed episodes go creditless and draw cliffhangers throughout the 90 seconds of credits than it would for the end. I mean you could have the airport scene go over credits and it would work as well but if you're going to be putting the very farewell-y credits of SC season 2 somewhere it fits more after the airport scene than it does in the middle of the DIO fight.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

Nice, I didn't even notice that!

There's a bunch of references like that. All the vector bits are related to iconic stuff that happens in the Dio fight (Avdol and Iggy get ice'd though), and at 0:42 when the camera's on Jotaro on the stairs the stairs and credits also get eaten by Cream.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

grancheater posted:

And my fave

Christ. :psyduck:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

standard owl posted:

It's also weird since I'm pretty sure that Dio has thicker/darker eyebrows in the Phantom Blood anime, too. Did the Crusaders interrupt him in the middle of his makeup routine or something?

Speaking of which, I wonder how DavidPro is going to handle his lips getting inexplicably more lipsticky as the fight goes on ;-*

Well he was in bed, undressed when Vanilla Ice reported to him, so yeah they kinda did.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I remember it fondly because it doesn't say peace of mind, it says PEACE  OF  MIND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Davinci posted:

You think The Sun stand could beat vampires?

It would be kinda weird to have a Sun stand that doesn't produce UV light.

• Locked thread