Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I was checking out Jojo fanarts in Pixiv and for some reason Prosciutto's stand is often written as "Greatful Dead" rather than "Grateful Dead", and the official Chinese translation is 偉大之死 which is something like "great dead".

Did the fans/translation mess it up or is Araki deliberately using that spelling instead of the straight band name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Also, just for reference, its Duwang name was 'Silver Chain.' Dunno if that was a Duwang translation error or just an error that came from the original Japanese -> Chinese translation, though.

The Chinese official translation of Aqua Necklace is 銀水鏈 which, when translated literally, would be "silver water chain". The DUWANG translator probably thought that "water" is awkward and left it out.

Speaking of DUWANG, I would probably do the same thing if I were a big fan of Jojo back then and knew that the English world was desperate for a translation. There would probably be no such gem as "a feeling so complicated" though. :shobon:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Cook Polnareff, Native American Abdul, Sheriff Jonathan Joestar and cowboy Hol Horse?

I am sorry, but the quality is so bad that it warps back into being hilarious.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It's cool indeed.

JDRockefeller posted:

Since Part 5 is not really tied to Part 6 and most people think the ending is what's weakest, what would you guys think if they redid the ending of Part 5 for the anime (if they get to it that is)?
I think that it is possible to beat King Crimson if Diavolo doesn't know Spice Girl's ability (which may just be the case as Trish is involved in only the Notorious B.I.G. fight and its controller obviously cannot gather information back to Diavolo).

EDIT:

Cerebral Bore posted:

A bit late, but all I want from the Part 5 ending in the anime is this blaring in the background at all times.

I'd rather hear this as the background music for the Rolling Stone part.

Araki has good taste in music, by the way. Jojo has introduced me to quite a few good songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 4, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That is pretty amazing. Does everyone get their own unique stand-cry nowadays?

Also, I made a thing. JoJo is supposed to be fabulous, right? :downs:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Found and finished reading Purple Haze Feedback after reading your post. It is indeed enjoyable and the part where Fugo made himself fall to compensate for the falling sensation reads like something you'll see on the manga.

However, I am not sure about Fugo's new stand's ability. So he has to explode the capsules himself because the virus would consume themselves? Also, what does it mean by "The stronger Fugo's attack, the less damage to his opponent"? That sounds more like a downgrade except for better control really.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If they can do Rohan they can do anyone.

This. Also Fugo doesn't even have a solo fight in the manga and still somehow manages to be a playable character.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
With all the complaints about Part 5's translation, I am almost tempted to make my own except that I do not know Japanese and can only refer to the Chinese official translation.

But then people like DUWANG so maybe it will go fine :downs:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Davinci posted:

I've been slowly working my way through part 5 and even though the translation is shoddy, the stand fights are still really cool and the beatdowns are still loving brutal and, for me at least, that and the beautiful, beautiful art gives it enough charm on its own to make it an enjoyable read.

That and Bruno being an awesome guy. All descriptions on part 5 should include that.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

edit: Wait, Funny Valentine is fit as poo poo? His face made him look lardy.
Dude just pulls progressively fitter versions of himself. May as well do it when your ability is travelling between parallel universes.

By the way, D4C's ability reminds me of the protagonist of an excellent comic, Qualia the Purple (link goes to ADTRW thread which has links to the comic itself), especially with this image:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Edit: Also, can someone please explain to me what Gold Experience Requiem even does? It....traps you in an infinite loop of deaths in alternate universe? Seems pretty brutal. Better than Silver Chariot Requiem's "walk around, putting people to sleep, and also mutating them but only for like 2 pages before that idea is immediately forgotten?"

It is a deus ex machina in punch ghost form basically. :angel:

To be more serious, it supposedly negates all abilities and attacks against Giorno - since Crimson King's ability involves reaching the desired result via erasing the intervening time, Gold Experience Requiem just turns that ability around such that Diavolo can never reach the actual death but instead gets stuck infinitely in the process of dying. And yes, it is indeed brutal.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He'd certainly do the family proud. The only better Zeppeli is Gyro.

Are you saying Bruno is not a Zeppeli?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Aurain posted:

I dunno, it's just really drat cool and that's the only thing that matters.

jojosbizarreadventure.txt

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

After all, Joseph's only holding three tickets.
I like the alternate interpretation of "Jotaro and Kakyoin buy their own student tickets and Iggy needs no ticket" more, if only because that doesn't remind me of dead people (and canine). :smith:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Aurain posted:

Imagine a Stardust Crusaders with no Good!,Oingo Boingo, Hol Horse only showing up once, no Joseph and Avdol's homoerotic hijinks and the other slightly less iconic beatdowns and panels.

It'd be so lovely.

So, the OVA? :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Jotaro finds a scribbled note with Dio's handwriting: "How does it work????"

Nah, that should be 「It  just  works」

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

WickedHate posted:

PHF is awesome. Jorge Joestar is alright, but way more dense and weird than it needs to be.

Speaking of Jorge Joestar, has there ever been an English translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

BaDandy posted:

I'll honestly take capes and hearts compared to....whatever this is. Can we call it a shirt?
Fugo just wants to cosplay Dio in memory of Narancia. What's wrong with that? :v:

• Locked thread