Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

So my friend pointed this out to me when we were playing Bioshock infinite and then I drew a picture of it. I kind of want to go back and draw it again because I'm never happy with poo poo I draw but oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So what do you guys think of 39 episodes for Stardust Crusaders? That would allow them to cover 4 chapters per episode.

I'd be fine with them going for 25 episodes and just cutting out some of the fights. Stardust Crusaders is my least favourite part of Jojos just because there's a good 30+ fights and and they eventually just start getting tiresome. I mean keep the important fights and the ones that lead to the fun character-building moments, but just trim it down a little. I thought Anime got syndicated in 25/26 episode chunks anyway, and they'd need another full season of 26 to cover Part 4 properly.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Otoishi is pretty much the source of everything that happens in Part IV, so having him in the game makes good sense.

I think having Funny Valentine or Pucci would make more sense, we've already got one part 4 villain. Also I want to see them approach D4C in terms of game mechanics. He'd pull through clones of yourself that you'd have to avoid touching, he'd vanish and replace himself with a healthier funny valentine if you squished him against the ground or against the side of the stage, he could bring in other funnys to shoot you, and he could have his ridiculous invincible misfortune deflection thing as a super. Or he could pull both the players through to a different universe, and the stage you're fighting in would change.

Man I started out sorta joking like "oh how would they ever put jumping through multiple universes into a fighting game" but now I've thought about it you could make him work pretty easily.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Mostly though it's that Star Platinum would be the world's most Stand if it didn't have sudden time stopping powers.

Gonna assume you meant world's worst stand there? Star Platinum just being insanely strong, fast and precise hold up pretty well as a power in part three though because most stands just have one utility. There's a bit of power creep later on though where lots of stands are strong AND have an additional power, so compared to them vanilla Star Platinum would be pretty awful. Its kind of disappointing that in a series where unorthodox solutions to beat powerful stands are a big part of the entertainment value that the way Jotaro beats TIME STOP is just to spontaneously develop that power himself.

Araki gets better with solving unbeatable powers by part 6, Jolyne turning herself into a mobius strip to survive pucci's stand is my favourite trick anyone has pulled in Jojo's, ever. It was really great in a story so heavy with utterly bullshit stand powers that Jolyne was just crazy inventive with her power of turning into string. I'm glad Araki reset the entire universe to dial everyone back a bit, all the stands in SBR and Jojolion have been relatively restrained, even D4C had a bunch of drawbacks and needed to have Jesus' corpse to become super powerful.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Dogbutt posted:

My friend promised me if he ever had a stand it would be Space Jam.

I thought Space Oddity could be a stand that was a big astronaut suit with galaxy space effects leaking out of where the glass on the helmet should be. It would turn the area around it into space - cold, pressureless and with no gravity - and the user could wear it in order to survive or use it to fight like a regular stand. Never really 100% sold on the name, but I ended up doodling some astronauts in silly poses because I liked the idea.

Other neat stand names would be The Chain which would be pretty similar to Stone Free but with chains. Just looking through my music now, The Big Money, Green World, Electric Nation, Visiting Statue, King of the Streets, DARE - a lot of song names transition pretty well into Stands, they just need a kind of neat sounding noun or even just a phrase. I hope eventually one of the songs used in the anime becomes a stand, that'd be a nice little self-referential nod. Like calling a stand Roundabout or something.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I can't quite figure out how the leaves stand works. Does it just move you in a set direction when you're pushed? How did it make Josuke beat up those cops?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think Part 3 is the worst, followed by maybe part 5? Stone Ocean was great until it kind of went into this over the top slog of insane fight after insane fight, and I really didn't like how Pucci's plan worked out where it was just kind of a series of nonsensical events that somehow miraculously gave him a magic baby that turned him into god. I'm sure part 5 seems kind of bland because its a bad translation, it does feel like its missing something in the character interactions and suchlike. It did give us an explanation for stands as some kind of space virus poo poo as well and that's really unnecessary and a point against it.

I don't think I'm in the majority at all when I say part 3 is the worst, but I really didn't like it. The characters were great but the pacing was garbage and they establish their only proper goal (lets go kill Dio) right at the start, and then they spent the entire story getting distracted from that goal by fighting dude after dude after dude after dude. They get through the entire tarot and then they bring in MORE people named after Egyptian gods. There is simply not enough plot to keep me engaged in another sidetracking fight with a car stand or a boat stand or a magnet lady stand or whatever the gently caress. I mean the individual fights were sometimes really great, but they don't thread together in a way that keeps you interested like SBR does, they just stack right up into this huge pile of Fighting People. I know it is a manga about people fighting, but Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency both handled the plot and pacing loads better, even if sometimes it was just by virtue of not being so goddamn long.

I think Jojolion has the potential to be the best part yet. Its like Araki took the writing quality of SBR but also made the story thematic this time in a really cool way. I also hope he doesn't spoil the mystery really early on like he did in part 4 where the murderers were a guy who we had never seen before and a guy that was introduced right after the ghost girl said "there is another murderer in the little town of duwang", and then was immediately shown murdering someone.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Spacedad posted:

PS - The animated tv show I got hired to recently (Axe Cop - I always loved the comic) has a LOT of Jojo fans working on it. I wish I could talk more about that as it's not out yet, but you guys will love the show if you love Jojo. Must...Bite...Tongue...

At the risk of you breaking any NDAs, is there going to be... posing?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Having the corpse buried in the town is a reasonable explanation for all the unusual qualities that the ground the town is built on possesses - burying things makes them merge and switch parts with each other, the wall eyes, something biting people and giving them stands. I don't think that the other half of Josuke could be Johnny's corpse because Soft and Wet has qualities of Kira's stand, and if the other half was Johnny's body then it'd be a fusion of Killer Queen and Tusk when its apparently the fusion of Killer Queen's bubbles and a stand that could 'plunder' things. Its possible that Josuke's part Jesus and part Kira but I doubt it somehow, you'd think there would be some more obvious signs if he had Jesus powers. That said, there's been no sign that anyone intentionally meant to 'create' Josuke by burying Kira and another corpse together, so maybe Jesus' body did just see and opportunity to get back into the world of the living and just stole bits of Kira's corpse to come back to life.

I'm really digging this whole mystery so far. I just read the end of SBR again and I couldn't find a mention that they hid Dio's corpse in the vault with the holy corpse, is that just the scan I was reading being bad or is the whole dio thing just speculation?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I think its just, what else would Lucy have done? She just exploded a major celebrity's head with his alternate universe's head. Or, well, soon to be celebrity, since he won the SBR. A 100 year vault is a nice place to hide that kind of evidence.

Stephen Steel shows up after she's killed Diego though, and before they seal the vault. I think a millionaire businessman could find somewhere to hide a body that isn't the vault with a magical corpse inside.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The only thing close to doing King Crimson that I can think of is that you could gently caress with frames somehow, like when you use it you can just skip the other player's animations and cancel the attack, so they're just left standing where the move would've put them but without ever having hit you.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I wish Giorno had shown up, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure GER could've completely shut down Stairway to Heaven and ruined the entire ending.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To be honest Vento Aureo is pretty bad before the ending too, just not ridiculously bad. It's more like you get some good stuff and then some bad stuff here and there. Also get it right, the entire story goes off the rails when Bruno is punched through the fuckin heart by Diavolo and continues living.

Now to be fair, that spoiler is explained pretty well within the story. I think I just found Vento Aureo one of the weakest parts because of the poor translation sucking a lot of life out of the characters. I didn't really like any of them the way I enjoyed the characters from the other parts, even the cast of part 4 through the filter of duwang. It also pulls out a really bland explanation for stands that really didn't need to be in the story at all.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Vagithug posted:

But Dio is the big villain for the entire story atc, Deigo is kind of a minor enemy/sometimes ally depending on what he wants to get done.

Diego is easily one of the more important characters in SBR just by being around and doing stuff all the way through the story instead of being important for a bit and then getting killed off. And then when he does get killed off, he gets brought back as the other universe Diego so he can carry on being part of the story. He's probably the most important character that's missing from the part 7 lineup when you ignore characters that wouldn't work in a fighting game, like Lucy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Diego would be a good fit for the game, compared to the rest of the SBR cast. Pretty much him or Wekapipo. Plus, maybe they'll give him a Dino Button instead of Horse/Stand button. That'd be awesome.

He's gotta have a horse button AND a dino button, otherwise how would he turn his horse into a dinosaur?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought he just swapped himself out with a sexier version of him.

I always thought that was the explanation. It makes sense, swapping his body for a younger, fitter one would be the smart move to make once he had to start personally fighting people. I mean it was probably just Araki retconning his design but there are two really plausible in-story explanations so its not really a weak point for the story or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

So I finished reading Stone Ocean a few weeks back and I'm curious about the ending and how it leads into Steel Ball Run.

Okay, so Pucci's Made in Heaven can fast forward reality into infinity until he finds a statistical copy of the current world and any existing creatures from the previous world will pop into the current one. However, for some reason, Pucci didn't want Emporio to defeat him until at least after the Cape Canaveral incident because I guess since it is a statistical copy, the world will no matter what end at Cape Canaveral and if Pucci isn't there for it then the world will just fast forward into infinity again and if/when it stops he couldn't guarantee it'd be another statistical copy of the current world? Am I understanding that right? And then Emporio ends up in another version of Earth with Annakis and Irene and they all go on a trip with this world's Hermes saying they need to stop off at Cape Canaveral, which I guess means that the world will end there maybe but since Pucci isn't around for it then either time will continue as normal or time will speed up until the next iteration of the universe even if it isn't an exact copy, leading to the world of Steel Ball Run?

Do I have that right or am I completely off the mark here?

I think his plan is that because he fast forwarded the entire universe until it looped back to the present, everyone has, on some metaphysical level, experienced everything that is going to happen in the future because during the fast forward they saw it all. That's why the guards were having premonitions in the new universe: he's made his perfect world where everyone knows what's going to happen to them before it actually happens. If Pucci dies before the universe does a complete loop, then events will unfold differently and nobody will know their futures, ruining his entire plan.

• Locked thread