Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I couldn't help myself and started reading the Stardust Crusaders manga, mainly because I wanted to see how The World was introduced.

Can I just go on the record as saying three pages of Steely Dan getting his face punched in is the best thing? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have no idea who that is getting the crap kicked out of them by Giorno, but that was amazing.

Hol Horse? He seems to alternate between being a jerk and a decent guy. Why?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aww, that's a shame. I thought he was going to reform when they fought The Justice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow, Boingo and Oingo. I thought Dio would save his best guys for last.

Do Jotaro and Co. ever even realize that they only fight seven of the Nine Gods' Stand users?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to leave for work now, but I just passed the chapter where Alessi is defeated and this series is just the best. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Serious question: Is there a Yu-Gi-Oh villain based on D'Arby? He reminds me a lot of Pegasus.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 4, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aaand, just finished reading Stardust Crusaders.

Why did Avdol have to die? And Kakyoin? And Iggy? Stardust Crusaders made all of these great characters and I didn't want any of them to die. :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pomp posted:

Nature's Valley twitter won't stop retweeting anime.

mikeycp posted:

But wait, there's more:

Seems like they're really in touch with ZA WARUDO. :suicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm on Volume 40 and dear god is Kira a creepy bastard. He's like anime Patrick Bateman or something.

FirstAidKite posted:

Jesus Christ araki :anime:

I thought all of the women in Jojo were supposed to have the same build. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 5, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Which series was considered the best, incidentally?

I'm rather fond of Diamond is Unbreakable myself. All of the characters in it are pretty great, even Kira, though he's disturbing as hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not going to lie, I'm reading Part 5 now and I'm not really getting into it. Moody Blues and some other Stand that deflates people just got introduced.

Does it pick up later, at least?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I suppose I'll give it a chance. Really, I just want to see what happens to Diavolo. I heard that his death is apparently worse than what happens to Kars.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I really wanted Josuke to be the one to take down Kira.

But he did. :psyduck:

Him being completely helpless from the beating Josuke gave him when the others came upon the aftermath of their fight was the reason he decided to try jumping back in time.

onepixeljumpman posted:

You are the only person I've ever heard say that. Everyone else I've heard, Araki included, thinks Jonathan was a particularly uninteresting exercise in shonen protagonist 101.

He's bland, but he is a pretty likable guy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

chilling and comparing Rohan to Mona Lisa.

Good thing Kira never saw his hands. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Eh Star Platinum's entire moveset is still basically just hitting things really hard as fast as possible

True, but he does develop a lot of powers. Not that I'm complaining, it's just something I noticed.

When he's first shown, Star Platinum is shown to have a lot of strength, speed, and precision.

Then he develops super eyesight when they need to find Dio.

Then he extends his fingers to smack Dark Blue Moon.

Then he gains the power to stop time during the fight with Dio.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RatHat posted:

Well, sorta make sense.

The part with Polnareff always tickled me because I knew what was going on and just kept imagining Dio doing exactly this.

It's a shame Dio always has to screw with people, though. If he'd killed him right then, he would've won the final battle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If it doesn't stop time all over the world, that would lead to some very weird temporal shenanigans.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remind me: does he ever even use Star Finger after the fight with Dark Blue Moon?

I haven't read Part 6 yet, but I don't recall seeing it again in Part 3 or Part 4.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Agent Interrobang posted:

Also there's the fact that the badge on Jotaro's hat for the entirety of Part 3 is a hand making the 'halt' or 'stop' gesture. OR DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND.

...Well, poo poo. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think it's exact to say that Stands are the evolution of Ripple.

Polnareff stabbed Vanilla Ice directly in the brain with Silver Chariot's sword and he was still able to fight for a good while after that until Silver Chariot started cutting the curtains to let sunlight in instead. I'm pretty sure if that were a Ripple attack, it would've killed him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I thought the Stands in SBR were Jesus's corpse giving people power.

Okay, now I'm curious. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Steel Ball Run is at its core, a race across America to find as many pieces of Jesus as possible.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Steel Ball Run owns, as an aside.

I cannot believe I have to go through two more parts before I can read this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, I thought Part V was going to suck, but seeing Purple Haze, Sex Pistols, and everything about Narancia (who I am convinced is the best character) changed my mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Condiv posted:

maybe there can even be a second coffin!!

I think one of the novels said that Dio latched onto Erina's coffin, but was weak. So she put him into it since she wanted to believe Jonathan could be saved and then let it sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That does look like a more reasonable progression for Jonathan's musculature considering how much of a thin teenager he was before Episode 2.

Kinda weird not seeing him with Hulk-sized muscles, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am so glad I am not the only one horribly confused by King Crimson's power.

I had to have spent several minutes rereading the first instance of him using it, trying to understand what was happening.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cool Ice? They could've at least changed his name to Ice-T.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, what's the deal with the new universe for Parts VII - VIII?

From what I understand, Johnny Joestar is the AU Jonathan Joestar? But isn't Jolyne alive as another person at the end of Part VI?

Is Araki preparing to have all of the JoJos band together against one final enemy or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Jolyene is a different person, but there is also a completely separate group of Joestars that ends up having the same line of children that are all also different people? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you read SBR the alternate universes thing will be explained.

Just started Stone Ocean. But I can hold my questions until the next arc, I suppose.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One other thing I'm curious about: is it ever explained why Jotaro became a marine-biologist?

From what I can tell, the Star and Moon cards in the Tarot are pretty similar, so did Araki give him that career as a reference to Dark Blue Moon?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has battles that fight the puzzle tone that Stardust Crusaders has going.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That should be everyone ambition in life.

On a different note, I just became aware that all of the major villains in JJBA (up to Part VI anyway) have Stands that deal with affecting time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Kira got Killer Queen without the arrow and Diavolo gave his arrows away after getting King Crimson, which is how Dio got it.

On the topic of main villains, there's one thing I never understood about Kars. If he respects nature so much that he's willing to avoid killing a flower by landing on it, why'd he have his squirrel-hand cannibalize that other squirrel?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grancheater posted:

Tonio's arc is the greatest thing

On one hand, this guy would probably be rich from his business.

On the other, I can't help but wonder how he's not closed down due to health violations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The dude's a sanitation nut. He made Josuke clean the entire kitchen for merely stepping foot inside without washing his hands.

True, but serving multiple customers at the same time would be pretty gross

grancheater posted:

Well all the crying and tooth-shooting and stomach exploding might also be part of his stand, which means normal people wouldn't be able to see them. On the other hand, the restaurant is in Morioh Duwang.

unless this was the case.

On another note, I just read the ending of Part VI and I'm rather amused that Jotaro's death is exactly as Boingo predicted. Even if it was three arcs late. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Araki loves his call backs.

Araki is the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd love to see Tonio's restaurant arc animated, if only just to see how surreal that whole thing is with the current show's budget.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's absolutely amazing how Dio tries to top himself in assholery in each of his appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I dunno, it was the torture dance that really sold me on part 5. If there's one thing about Vento Aureo I wanna see animated, it's that.

This should tide you over until then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCNj6S3TzQ

• Locked thread