Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think the problem is that part 4 and 5 both have a ton of really good side characters that sometimes steal the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Man, I want to, but the second photo just looks too off. Something about how the face and shoulders meet the coat, and the shading.

BUT I WANT TO BELIEVE.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Lamebot posted:

well i guess they couldn't afford to license get back from the beatles.

Watch Nutbladder's sub with the second audio track on.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yeah, plus Koichi just stops using Act 1 after he gets Act 2, so I really can't see them using it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

This trailer just makes me want to get this game all the more. It looks like there are alternate skins for the characters, so hopefully they'll give Jotaro his part four outfit and Kira as Kawajiri. Maybe even some of the splash art made into in game outfits. :allears:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Just finished part 5. It was good, but I definitely wanted it to be over well before it actually ended.

Yeah, part five just feels like it is way longer then it should be. I think someone else said it best with how every step is turned into this massive struggle; there are just so many individual conflicts that the overall narrative suffers.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I get that a monthly release lets Araki draw better better art, but goddamn if I don't want to just know what is going on.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

If Diego isn't in game they would be committing a god drat crime. If part one Dio gets it, velociraptor Dio needs into.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think what most of us agree on is that part 7 is amazing and really more people should read it for really cool stand battles and the best bromance to come from Japan.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I was totally going to order it until I noticed the price tag was 80 dollars. Christ, are all imports like that, or is just because it's the pre-order?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think at this point they know a lot of people wanted Diego, they are just adding every other character possible to mess with us.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzT_BLQWhac

God drat if some of this music isn't great. I wish I could get some longer versions of these themes.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I always liked to imagine Pucci was just sitting on a pile of Stand CDs he got from a thrift shop during his stay in Egypt and he just HAD to find a reason to use them. It is the only reason why I can figure out he has so many stands that just seem way too specific to be of any use. It's the reason Highway to Hell, Survivor and Dragon's Dream are there.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Which is why I say SBR had some of the best fights in the series. They were almost never just punching a dude into fine red paste, or how to get to dude to punch him into a fine red paste.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I worded that really badly. I just meant that the fights in Part 7 felt a bit more organic because at the end of it most people couldn't just use there stand to end the fight. It felt less like it was the stands doing the heavy lifting and more of the people. No one had a stand like Star Platinum or even Crazy Diamond that would just completely murder someone at close range is more of what I was getting at. I didn't mean to say that all the fights were punching dudes in the face, which I now realise I totally came off as saying.

EDIT: and even now I don't think I really explained what I meant all that well. I dunno, the fights just felt more organic to me, like it was a person vs. a person more often than a person vs. a stand. Or maybe I'm just a little bit dumb at explaining things :downs:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LordMune posted:

I'm getting on a plane in a few hours, but I banged out Jojolion #24 because who needs to pack anyway haha my priorities are a mess

Mune you're the best :allears:
Anyway, about the new chapter, Love Struck huh? I guess that undoes the whole alternate Gironio theory.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LordMune posted:

It's a really tortured translation of a really tortured pun (see also: everything else Tsurugi says), don't read too much into it. :ssh: 愛したんどォ 恋スたんどォ, aishitandoo koiSTANDoo

Okay, I had just the phrasing as the name and then a sort of description for it. Weird as hell stand though, thats for sure!

EDIT: also interesting to note, whoevers room that was, they have the same fasion sense of our favorite amnesiac.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 22, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

I think you've got until late October or something like that. Watch it dubbed for a good time. Watch it subbed, if you even can, if you want to try and take it somewhat seriously.

I don't think its possible to take Baoh serious. Also, if you watch it subbed, you miss out on some AMAZING lines.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I feel really bad for Yasuho. Just so many creeps constantly around her.

EDIT: Spiolers for the latest chapter of Jojo. Link is here.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

Well, it can't be innate understanding, because otherwise Jotaro would have known he could stop time from the get-go.

I would equate that to the same way Echoes had 3 acts, but Hirose wasn't able to use all three from the get go. Stands are like people, they can develop over time. Or I'm blowing hot air, but I like the idea that a stand can develop when the user develops as a person, being a part of the soul and what not.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, I guess this is a good enough place as any to bring it up, but has anyone else been keeping up with the Rohan spinoff? I just finished the first few chapters, and it seems interesting. Feel a lot like a "tales from the crypt" sort of thing, with each story only being connected by Rohan being the narrator. There isn't much fighting, it is mostly just Araki writing weird things he can't fit into a normal Jojo arc. Nothing so far has been as creepy as Jojolion has been lately, but it is pretty weird. I think I'll keep up with it from now on.

Also, it gives hilarious look into Rohan's insane spending. Dude bought a mountain. Five of them.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 6, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Even a world where Dio isn't an rear end in a top hat, perhaps.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I don't think we can just play with the rules of nature like that. Grass grows, birds fly, and Dio lights dogs/cripples on fire.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You know, "turning to stone" sounds a whole lot like what happened to Lucy after the holy body got inside her.

Edit: Also that mushroom pun was amazing.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 23, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I thought it was really weird at first, but over time I've grown to appreciate it. Usually universal resets are massive cop-outs (looking at you DC)but Steel Ball Run is fantastic and Jojolion is shaping up to be really good to, and they wouldn't be the same if there was no reset.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

God, watching that just reminds me of how great Bloody Stream is as an OP. I can't wait until the opening for part 3. :allears:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I remember seeing a picture of a VCR with the buttons being The World (pause), Made in Heaven (fast forward), King Crimson (skip scene), whatever Ringo's stand name was (rewind) and Another One Bites the Dust (previous scene). I thought it was clever.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Perigryn posted:

Maybe he'll get the blue one after the Wheel of Fortune fight.

Jotaro and the technicolored coat.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Josuke is quickly becoming my favorite Jojo.

edit: Fixed things to fit tables.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 20, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Jojo is a series that gets better with each part, if only in their own specific ways. Even part 5, what's considered one of the weaker parts, has pieces in it that I think are better than part 4. Mostly the fights not involving Gold Experience.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, pretty much that.

As far as editing and stuff, I think you should try to trim down/even out the amount of words in each text bubble a bit. Like on the bottom of page three, where Hermes is trying to remember Jolyne's name, maybe making the text bubbles read like this:

"What are you-? What's your name again? It's Jo... Jolyne, right?"

"What about that guard? You said he saw something? What was it?"

Doing that will make the second bubble a lot easier to read, as well as making the two bubbles more balanced on that panel. I like keeping two topics separated while you can, and it fits the page more due to both bubbles being around the same size, and now having around the same number of words. You can feel free to edit the actual content to fit the character more, but it is good to try to keep the text on the page as even as possible for consistencies sake.

As far as font goes, I can't tell you the one that the original translation used, but I would suggest just getting something bolder over all so when you have to use small font, it will be easier to read.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

On one hand I would love better animation, on the other hand though, part of what I loved about the anime was how well they used the really cheap animation.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I would literally squeal if the made a SBR anime, even if that would be a decade from now.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hell, just make the guy incredibly stiff and then shatter him.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

A stand that just turns you into a mobile wifi hotspot called In the Air Tonight.

No joke I would totally love that as a power.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Given the nature of both their stands and how they interact with the characters, Norisuke seems like this universe's old Joseph.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not too sold on the big bad being the other parts of Josuke, mostly because they had found the actual Kira's corpse in one of the really early chapters. Using the fruit example, it seems like Josuke was a dead body who borrowed the missing parts from Kira, and then leaving Kira with the dead parts. This is assuming, of course, things will always work out like this, but given the series, it probably wont.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Zorak posted:

Didn't we already see Jobin? It's just that he immediately left and hasn't interacted with Josuke 8.

I think he showed up in like a panel when we had the introductions for the whole Higashikata family. He is the guy in the back here I think.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Jorge II got his own novel about his adventures, Jorge I was one of the only non-protagonist Joestars.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, who bought the thread a banner add? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ringo is a character whose power seems really weak on paper but is devastating in practice, and I think really shows off the strength in Araki's direction in fights. Six seconds of rewind seems so worthless until you see a dude take down an entire group with no stress.

• Locked thread